Any guesses on Flying Scotsman?

jonny777

A friend of mine is trying to get to see Flying Scotsman in Northumberland on May 19th, but due to the trespassing of the idiot minority, timings for the day are not available in advance - understandable, but rather frustrating for the innocent majority who just want to see the loco at speed. 

Does anyone know how far an A3 can travel on one tender full of water? This way we can work out where the water stops might be en-route and add time on to the York departure time accordingly. He does not want to spend hours waiting in his favourite viewing position if that can be avoided. 

• RMweb Gold

A friend of mine is trying to get to see Flying Scotsman in Northumberland on May 19th, but due to the trespassing of the idiot minority, timings for the day are not available in advance - understandable, but rather frustrating for the innocent majority who just want to see the loco at speed. 

Does anyone know how far an A3 can travel on one tender full of water? This way we can work out where the water stops might be en-route and add time on to the York departure time accordingly. He does not want to spend hours waiting in his favourite viewing position if that can be avoided. 

The timings normally appear somewhere a couple of days before hand, the paths wont be finalised yet so wouldn't be available even if it wasn't a (worst kept) secret.

Yes thanks Beast, those are on the Steam Dreams website - sorry, I should have made clear those were our starting points for the estimation. 

As a last minute scenario I can try and find the train on RTT during the day, and relay its progress to my mate; but 6 hours from York to Edinburgh is a long time, which is why we thought the water stop timings would be important. I don't know how long they take these days, maybe 30-40 minutes each?

• RMweb Gold

Yes thanks Beast, those are on the Steam Dreams website - sorry, I should have made clear those were our starting points for the estimation. 

As a last minute scenario I can try and find the train on RTT during the day, and relay its progress to my mate; but 6 hours from York to Edinburgh is a long time, which is why we thought the water stop timings would be important. I don't know how long they take these days, maybe 30-40 minutes each?

Remind me in the week before and I'll see if I can get the timings.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the helpful comments folks, especially last years timings which will be a great help as long as my friends remember to subtract an hour for this year. 

I may have an unusual sense of humour, but I scratch my head at why one person could have found my previous post 'funny'. It takes all sorts I suppose.