2018 Supermeet & Skills Day @ Chelford

2mm Andy

2mm Scale Association Supermeet and Skills Day 2018

Saturday 19th May 2018 at Chelford Village Hall, Chelford, Macclesfield, SK11 9AS

This event will focus on skill-building, with examples of layouts (some under construction) and demonstrations/clinics on a variety of subjects related to 2mm modelling, and is aimed in part at assisting those entering the Diamond Jubilee Layout Challenge. The Association Central Shop will be present, as will a selection of traders.

There is a large car park at the venue, and Chelford railway station (on the Crewe to Manchester railway line) is a 5-10 minute walk away.

Opening times: 10am to 4pm approxAdmission £5

Sandwiches /light lunch/refreshments will be available.

Attractions include;

Layouts

• Callaton - Mick Simpson
  • Modbury - Ian Smith
  • Annedale Town - Brian Hume
  • Holywell Town - Adrian Cherry
  • Glencruitten - Angus Higgens
  • Gomersall Town - Steve Dunkeyson
  • Hayle North (early stages) - Andy Carlson

Demonstrations

• Nigel Hunt - Loco building
  • John Aldrick - Coach building
  • Andy Hanson - wagon building
  • Keith Armes - track design/building
  • Allen Doherty - soldering
  • Diamond Jubilee Layout Challenge display

Traders

• Worsley Works - loco/coach 'scratch aid' etches
  • N Brass Locos (Nick Tilston) - N gauge kits and detailing parts
  • Bradford Finescale (Edward Sissling) - tools and modelling supplies
  • Nigel Hunt - 2mm loco kits and detailing parts
  • 2mm Scale Association Central Shop
  • 2mm Scale Association 'Bring & Buy' stand (cash only)

The above is hopefully the final line-up, but I will announce any changes as/when I am informed of them.

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday 19th May 2018 at Chelford Village Hall, Chelford, Macclesfield, SK11 9AS

Just two more sleeps now until Saturday's Chelford Supermeet and Skills Day so I thought it was time for a quick reminder of what should be an enjoyable day. Don't forget that there will be a 'bring and buy' this year so bring along your surplus 2mm/N gauge bits to convert into cash to spend with the traders. The 2mm Central Shop will also be present so this is a good chance to examine the products up close.

Hope to see a few of you on Saturday.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Just two more sleeps now until Saturday's Chelford Supermeet and Skills Day so I thought it was time for a quick reminder of what should be an enjoyable day. Don't forget that there will be a 'bring and buy' this year so bring along your surplus 2mm/N gauge bits to convert into cash to spend with the traders. The 2mm Central Shop will also be present so this is a good chance to examine the products up close.

Hope to see a few of you on Saturday.

Andy

Really messed up on the holidays this year. Canada for the Supermeet and Ireland for the AGM. I'll be getting my membership revoked at this rate!

So while you're all enjoying the delights of Chelford I'll have to make do with contemplating this view on Vancouver Island. Tough but somebody has to do it  :sungum:

post-9616-0-97898900-1526664011_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Really messed up on the holidays this year. )

Looks lovely. I'm doing about 5 hours in the car tomorrow returning from holiday and not anywhere near the supermeet. I will miss the wedding and the cup final though   :boast:

Edited by richbrummitt

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Unfortunately Glencruitten will not be present tomorrow, just a grovelling owner.

As posted on http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109742-rnas-glencruitten-relocating-lenabo/page-11 (and emailed to John, the organizer):-

"The layout was designed to fit in my wife's van which is currently off the road for alterations, so I have hired a van.

The hire company have given me an alternate of similar payload (as permitted in their Ts&Cs  :rtfm: ), however it is shorter than the one I ordered by a few inches so the layout won't fit.

I've tried to remove the bulkhead to give a bit more length but there is one bolt-head that obviously needs a special tool to remove and try as I might I cannot get it out without damage.

What is doubly annoying is that the van is also slightly taller so won't be able to do the tip run that I was planning to do on Sunday due to a height restrictor at the tip. 

If I try and swap the van tomorrow I am unlikely to get to the hall before 11AM.

All in all I'm £100 out of pocket and I can't do either thing I hired the van for.   :ireful: 

I guess I should have focused just on getting the layout to the event and got a bigger van.

Still Bl##dy annoying though."

Apologies to anyone hoping to see the layout tomorrow. 

Edited by Argos

This event will focus on skill-building, with examples of layouts (some under construction) and demonstrations/clinics on a variety of subjects related to 2mm modelling, and is aimed in part at assisting those entering the Diamond Jubilee Layout Challenge. The Association Central Shop will be present, as will a selection of traders.

There is a large car park at the venue, and Chelford railway station (on the Crewe to Manchester railway line) is a 5-10 minute walk away.

Opening times: 10am to 4pm approxAdmission £5

Sandwiches /light lunch/refreshments will be available.

Attractions include;

Layouts

• Callaton - Mick Simpson
  • Modbury - Ian Smith
  • Annedale Town - Brian Hume
  • Holywell Town - Adrian Cherry
  • Glencruitten - Angus Higgens
  • Gomersall Town - Steve Dunkeyson
  • Hayle North (early stages) - Andy Carlson

Demonstrations

• Nigel Hunt - Loco building
  • John Aldrick - Coach building
  • Andy Hanson - wagon building
  • Keith Armes - track design/building
  • Allen Doherty - soldering
  • Diamond Jubilee Layout Challenge display

Traders

• Worsley Works - loco/coach 'scratch aid' etches
  • N Brass Locos (Nick Tilston) - N gauge kits and detailing parts
  • Bradford Finescale (Edward Sissling) - tools and modelling supplies
  • Nigel Hunt - 2mm loco kits and detailing parts
  • 2mm Scale Association Central Shop
  • 2mm Scale Association 'Bring & Buy' stand (cash only)

The above is hopefully the final line-up, but I will announce any changes as/when I am informed of them.

Andy

It looks like it will be a really good meeting. I really wish I could be there as there will be much to see and learn. But unfortunately it's a bit far to come from New Zealand without a larger trip planned. I hope that some people will take photos etc so at least we can get a taste of what was there. Have fun everyone.

Steve

• Like 1

A few photos of the layouts on display. Mick Simpson was taking photos which I presume will appear in the Magazine in due course.

post-10888-0-43077300-1526802688_thumb.jpg

Work-in-progress on Modbury. Ian Smith's Buffalo, with a train mainly comprising coaches from his own sheet of etches.

post-10888-0-45566500-1526802923_thumb.jpg

Holywell Town, by Adrian Cherry.

post-10888-0-44830900-1526803070_thumb.jpg

Development work on Andy Carlson's Hayle North. A tractor driving system, reminiscent of Laurie Adams'  Yeovil Pen Mill which appeared at Tutbury a year or two ago.

post-10888-0-34735800-1526804043_thumb.jpg

Brain Hume's Annedale Town

post-10888-0-49824800-1526804288_thumb.jpg

Gomersall Town, by Steve Dunkeyson

post-10888-0-37928100-1526804445_thumb.jpg

Mick SImpson's Callaton

David

• Like 5

I had a very enjoyable day yesterday, and Modbury behaved itself performing very reliably (apart from one cross-over point that I don't tend to use because down-train shunting is not signalled for).

Unfortunately, the only photos I took were of Modbury itself.  I present a selection below :

A view towards Newton Abbot

post-12089-0-48405200-1526813394_thumb.jpg

A view of the station looking towards Plymouth

post-12089-0-18932500-1526813405_thumb.jpg

A down passenger headed by Metro Tank waits for the starter signal

post-12089-0-14735600-1526813417_thumb.jpg

A view across the tracks towards the unfinished cattle dock

post-12089-0-42320100-1526813428_thumb.jpg

A down passenger approaches the station along the embankment

post-12089-0-17560000-1526813443_thumb.jpg

Down passenger passing the signal box as it slows to a halt at the platform

post-12089-0-22207300-1526813455_thumb.jpg

Finally, a couple of close up photos of the Signal Box

post-12089-0-76727100-1526813465_thumb.jpg

post-12089-0-58086000-1526813475_thumb.jpg

A big thank you to John for organising the event (and inviting Modbury), and for Nick for keeping us fed and watered.

Ian

• Like 11

Three photos of Holywell Town. The headshunt looks challengingley short, though it is improved a bit if you go through the 'middle' road (left hand track as you approach from the 'main' line).

All trains, passenger or goods, were propelled up the line from Holywell Junction. Passenger trains were limited to two carriages. Goods trains were limited to three loaded or five empty wagons with a 20-ton brake van at each end of the train.

I have never seen a photograph of a goods train on the branch but they certainly ran. I suspect that the modus operandi was that the train came to a stand short of the lower loop points which were then unlocked by the staff and reversed so that the train could be propelled into the loop with the lower van clear of the trap points. The loco would then uncouple and drop back, the loop points normalised and relocked (releasing the staff), and the loco would proceed through the platform to the buffer stops. The top end loop points would then be unlocked by the staff and reversed, and the loco would drop down on to the upper end brake van which it would then shunt into the platform where it would be left with its brakes firmly applied. Any wagons to be cleared from the yard would then be shunted (carefully) on top of this van, each wagon's brakes also being secured in turn (remembering that there was no trap point below the platform). The newly-arrived wagons would then be shunted into their required positions in the yard. Finally, what had been the lower end brake van would now be shunted on top of the formed train in the platform, and then, with the top end points relocked, the loco would drop down the loop and the lower end points unlocked to enable it to shunt onto the lower end of the formed train standing in the platform. Once coupled up and with just sufficient brakes released, and with the lower end points relocked normal, the train would return to the junction with, of course, the staff.

Seemingly, the same loco worked both passenger and goods trains, the goods operating during a morning lull in passenger train operations.

Fly shunting would probably have been permitted into the two siding yard (which was level) but certainly not on either the loop or platform road.

Edited by bécasse

All trains, passenger or goods, were propelled up the line from Holywell Junction. Passenger trains were limited to two carriages. Goods trains were limited to three loaded or five empty wagons with a 20-ton brake van at each end of the train.

I have never seen a photograph of a goods train on the branch but they certainly ran. I suspect that the modus operandi was that the train came to a stand short of the lower loop points which were then unlocked by the staff and reversed so that the train could be propelled into the loop with the lower van clear of the trap points. The loco would then uncouple and drop back, the loop points normalised and relocked (releasing the staff), and the loco would proceed through the platform to the buffer stops. The top end loop points would then be unlocked by the staff and reversed, and the loco would drop down on to the upper end brake van which it would then shunt into the platform where it would be left with its brakes firmly applied. Any wagons to be cleared from the yard would then be shunted (carefully) on top of this van, each wagon's brakes also being secured in turn (remembering that there was no trap point below the platform). The newly-arrived wagons would then be shunted into their required positions in the yard. Finally, what had been the lower end brake van would now be shunted on top of the formed train in the platform, and then, with the top end points relocked, the loco would drop down the loop and the lower end points unlocked to enable it to shunt onto the lower end of the formed train standing in the platform. Once coupled up and with just sufficient brakes released, and with the lower end points relocked normal, the train would return to the junction with, of course, the staff.

Seemingly, the same loco worked both passenger and goods trains, the goods operating during a morning lull in passenger train operations.

Fly shunting would probably have been permitted into the two siding yard (which was level) but certainly not on either the loop or platform road.

I took the opportunity tonight to read Mike Christiansen's excellent article on 'Holywell Town' in British Railway Journal No. 40. It seems that the use of the platform line for marshalling goods trains was strictly prohibited due to the lack of trap points, so the goods trains must have been formed in the loop (which was protected by a set of trap points).

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy