Atso

2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

There is a link to it at the bottom of my posts.

So there is! Interesting, it doesn't appear when I look at your post on my phone...

I'll been having a read a bit later. :D

There has been some more progress on the first board over the last few days. The first couple of servos are in along with some of the control circuitry - this is where having a father who is a retired electronics engineer is a big help!

I've also made up some of the track for the next bit of track laying and started to size up what is required. None of the new bits have been stuck down yet and there will not be any track overhanging the board once I'm done! :P

image.jpg.c13edd691b59ea7c19b6c083fac549c3.jpg

image.jpg.caf4589d53c9874b9f92432411735e5b.jpg

The three coaches have been getting used as clearance vehicles. They've also started to give me an idea just how big the fiddle yard will end up being... 

• Like 8

A little bits of a problem this morning. One of the servos decided to throw itself right around and broke a tie bar in the process. I've now done my first replacement of a servo and started to learn a bit about how to program them.

The relays got wired up and programmed last night (I wasn't about!) so, once the repair was made, we spent a little time this morning testing the scissor crossing.

The 4F used as a test locomotive did need a couple of the back to backs adjusted but this was done easily without having to dismantle anything. One of my A4s, Silver Fox, has also successfully traversed the crossing (again, with one tender wheelset needing a slight adjustment). Three Gresley coaches have also been tested under power but hauled by the 4F as there isn't enough track available to take them with the A4!

Overall, I'm really happy that it seems to work. 

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

6 hours ago, Atso said:

A little bits of a problem this morning. One of the servos decided to throw itself right around and broke a tie bar in the process. I've now done my first replacement of a servo and started to learn a bit about how to program them.

The relays got wired up and programmed last night (I wasn't about!) so, once the repair was made, we spent a little time this morning testing the scissor crossing.

The 4F used as a test locomotive did need a couple of the back to backs adjusted but this was done easily without having to dismantle anything. One of my A4s, Silver Fox, has also successfully traversed the crossing (again, with one tender wheelset needing a slight adjustment). Three Gresley coaches have also been tested under power but hauled by the 4F as there isn't enough track available to take them with the A4!

Overall, I'm really happy that it seems to work. 

This is fantastic progress, Steve,

My congratulations!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Steve, the fiddle yard is taking shape very nicely and the scissors are a work of art. When its finally time to exhibit you will have to show Hadley wood in the round as everyone will be fascinated to watch the trains progress the yard.

Glad you are mastering servo's will be keen to pick your brains when I set the signals on Fairford.

• Thanks 1

On 23 May 2019 at 19:23, Tony Wright said:

This is fantastic progress, Steve,

My congratulations!

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you Tony. While I built and laid the track, my father is responsible for the electrical side of things. However, I have learnt a few basic things about servos and how to set them up. I've also learnt that it is very easy to snap the tie bars by having too much throw on the servo! On the plus side, I now know that it is perfectly possible to fix problems with the track down...

On 23 May 2019 at 21:59, carlwooduk said:

Steve, the fiddle yard is taking shape very nicely and the scissors are a work of art. When its finally time to exhibit you will have to show Hadley wood in the round as everyone will be fascinated to watch the trains progress the yard.

Glad you are mastering servo's will be keen to pick your brains when I set the signals on Fairford.

Thanks Carl. We've gone for using the Merg system and I think it'll be best if you speak to dad about the technical side of this. However, once the software is set up, it is quite easy for a technophobe like me to programme servos!

When will it be finally time to exhibit? I've been working out a sequence based off elements of the 1937 Carriage Workings book. All I can say is that RTR offerings cover less than 10% of Hadley Wood's requirements if I'm going to succeed in presenting a reasonable representation of what happened in the 1930's. I've seen it stated several times that LNER built carriages only represented around 30% of what was operated during this period. Having spent a little time researching the various diagrams, I would say this is about right.

Worse still, the excellent Dapol Gresleys only represent four types, all mid to late 1930's builds. I've not found a working with their buffet car yet - buffet workings were not that common at that point in time and the two I've identified used converted GNR carriages, which are much shorter than the 61' 1 1/2" LNER Gresleys.

As very little is available as kits either, designing and building the stock to run on Hadley Wood will probably take many more years than the layout will! A consequence of designing a big fiddle yard, I suppose...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to treat myself and purchase a couple of bits related to the layout. Are they locos, a new item or tow of rolling stock, scenery? Nope...

20190605_174008.jpg.276ba51d89cc6cce4ca410b11cce77c4.jpg

They are the WTT for the GNML and Branches. I've only had a short time to glance through them but it is fascinating to see just what was scheduled to happen on a daily basis. The compliment the 1937 Carriage Working book perfectly (not surprising really, although there are some bits that aren't listed) and I've lucked out that some of the formations I've decided to try and model in the future actually did stop at Hadley Wood!

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

There really hasn't been a lot of progress on the layout recently. This is partly due to waiting to see for some very hot weather to see how badly the trackwork expands and partly because I'd exhausted my stash of track!

I'm please to report that the track I've laid to date experienced no ill effects yesterday and that the pipe of copper clad straight track is slowly growing again. Here is how the layout currently looks.

Progress_25-7-19.jpg.e25a0d81dd72fabe0268a4e8998c662f.jpg

As you can see, there has been a modest start make on laying board two's track. The track curving to the left presently terminates about two inches from what will eventually become the scenic section.

I've also made a couple of minor revisions to the track plan.

788801622_HadleyWoodTrackplan.png.bcd20e555c294b401d1fb7ff7cac83f8.png

The key change is the addition of four kick-back sidings at the front of the layout. I added these to allow me to accommodate four principal express formations, two twelve carriage sets and two nine carriage sets. Originally, these were to be placed elsewhere but, having studied the working timetables, it became clear that I would need to devote that space to some other secondary trains. The front kick back sidings will be ultimately hidden in the cutting - which may need to have a very modest amount of artistic license applied as a result. Originally these were going to be loops, but that would have created more problems than it solved, as I want to be able to use set express in both directions.

The only other modification is to add a couple of loco holding areas for the rear kick-back sidings. The track plan uses Peco point templates, so is not a 100% accurate representation of the placement of everything. I've mocked up where the points will be and have confirmed that there is sufficient space for the formations and appropriate motive power.

• Like 4

Some more lengths of straight track have been soldered together and most have been laid down now. I'm now reaching the end of the second board!

20190731_165300.jpg.b0f98ce483cb94320e108582aafefc82.jpg

The five Gresley coaches and three wagons are already getting a bit lost in the overall size of the fiddle yard. The center two loops will be able to hold fifteen coaches, or (more importantly) at least forty five coal wagons as well as a loco. Once I've replaced the Rapido couplings with my wire hook/loop arrangement, I'm hoping that the distance between the wagons will close up sufficiently to bring the total to fifty coal wagons. The next two loops will hold the equivalent to twelve coaches (plus loco) and the next two beyond that will hold nine (plus loco). The outermost loops will act as feed/holding lines for the kickback sidings.

You may notice that the loop (currently a siding) nearest to the camera isn't as long as the other seven lines. This is because it will have two turnouts that will feed the inner kickback sidings. These are currently being built as a single unit.

20190731_163424.jpg.18d4f68c66fb0d0074114c00bbedf025.jpg

The red box below indicates where this will be located on the trackplan.

454488143_LocationofSpecialBuildTurnout.jpg.19b4edd3650cfd0f46f1ade3ecf73842.jpg

In case anyone is interested, I did some rough calculations to work out the number of solder joints in view. Not including the beginnings of the wiring, there are approximate 3,500 solder joins in view in the first picture!  :blink:

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 months later...

The latest bit of track laying was completed last week and means that track laying for the first board has almost been completed now.

6-11-19.jpg.9ad83e1de474864eef81d252f22b895b.jpg

7-11-19.jpg.16b62b046e453835417b11e8a34f26be.jpg

20191109_112322.jpg.d29720d3c3a939dbd95510cd2fcc5c66.jpg

Me being me, I could resist getting my stock out (well anything with wheels really) and giving myself an idea of what the finished fiddle yard will look like.

20191111_115613.jpg.6eace87912bc8b429e5ba1774485f675.jpg

I think I'm going to need a lot more stock!

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 months later...

A very belated thank you Jeremy!

It's been awhile since my last update. That's mainly because not a lot has happened regarding the layout itself. However, I've now started to build the next batch of track, but I am currently isolating at my other half's so it will be awhile until I can get access to the layout itself.

Otherwise, I've been working on four of the five carriages required for the Cambridge Buffet Express but have now gone about as far as I can go until I can get some more bits and pieces. The carriages can be found on my workbench thread (link in my signature).

Otherwise, I've been busy trying to work out compromises to some of the longer passenger formations that I would like on Hadley Wood. This issue isn't only length, but trying to find a suitable compromise between the running periods so that the Down and Up services are both plausible, despite the upgrading of stock over this period. This has been a time consuming but fascinating subject to research. This has however revealed the extent of the stock building programme needed for the layout. While not surprising, finally seeing that I've identified over 40 carriages but only eight of them can be produced using RTR items out of the box, is a sobering thought...

Edited by Atso
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, Atso said:

A very belated thank you Jeremy!

It's been awhile since my last update. That's mainly because not a lot has happened regarding the layout itself. However, I've now started to build the next batch of track, but I am currently isolating at my other half's so it will be awhile until I can get access to the layout itself.

Otherwise, I've been working on four of the five carriages required for the Cambridge Buffet Express but have now gone about as far as I can go until I can get some more bits and pieces. The carriages can be found on my workbench thread (link in my signature).

Otherwise, I've been busy trying to work out compromises to some of the longer passenger formations that I would like on Hadley Wood. This issue isn't only length, but trying to find a suitable compromise between the running periods so that the Down and Up services are both plausible, despite the upgrading of stock over this period. This has been a time consuming but fascinating subject to research. This has however revealed the extent of the stock building programme needed for the layout. While not surprising, finally seeing that I've identified over 40 carriages but only eight of them can be produced using RTR items out of the box, is a sobering thought...

have a look here, if you have been able to get that far then the kit manufacturers on this page should be able to help you get most of the rest of the way: http://www.2mm.org.uk/links.htm

Best of luck,

Matthew

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, croydon junction said:

have a look here, if you have been able to get that far then the kit manufacturers on this page should be able to help you get most of the rest of the way: http://www.2mm.org.uk/links.htm

Best of luck,

Matthew

Thanks Matthew,

Sadly there isn't a lot available for the ex-GNR coaches required, although Dave Eveleigh's twelve wheel dining first and full brake would be useful (if I can can find someone to take on all the other etches). Ultima can sort out about 85% of the LNER Gresley 61'6" stock (about 30% of the total gangway stock) and Worsley Works the 51' stuff but otherwise I'm on my own. Thankfully my Anycubic Photon will just fit a 58'6" coach within its build area so that covers quite a bit of what will be needed; I can design up some etches for the rest.

20200406_193704-1.jpg.6a205d83465d3d6e0b9f35a639bc19d4.jpg

The, as yet unfinished, 3D printed Buffet Car with 2mm Association buffets (MK1s filed to a more appropriate shape), bogies, wheels (N gauge) and underframe fittings.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been building some more turnouts and thought I'd (finally) take the advice a few people have given me to pivot the turnout blades on the tie bars. Not wishing to have to accurately drill though sixty odd stips of glass fibre board, I turned to 3D printing them on the Anycubic Photon.

20200423_213930-1.jpg.fd5829818512ae68a4ec8876b650c0f7.jpg

The prints still attached the their bases. I've used Siraya Blu resin which is much tougher (and more expensive!) than many of the other brands. It is also heat resistant enough to withstand short periods in contact with the soldering iron. The pivots are simply brass dressmaker's pins inserted into the rebate on the bottom and cut to length before soldering them to the blades.

20200423_214008-1.jpg.7381a4fdd78154d2dff4bc315fad211b.jpg

20200423_214039-1.jpg.50406792e481f5b0144b2deb6aa11d44.jpg

Unfortunately, the tie bars are somewhat thicker than the sleepers but I've been cutting recesses into the boards for all my turnouts anyway and so don't foresee any additional difficulties installing them. 

Edited by Atso
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 1 month later...

With lockdown in force, I haven't been able to get to the layout for some time now. However, my father has taken over track laying (in addition to the electrics) and I have been periodically supplying new track pieces. Here are a couple of phone snaps I was sent of progress to date.

22-6-20.jpg.b2667b240f3a5276af52a7a038829917.jpg

22-6-20-1.jpg.bda8969125fecbbd38030bf7f7a105d6.jpg

The tracklaying of the fiddleyard is now around two thirds complete. The center two loop lines are 6'7" long which should provide space for a couple of 40+ wagon goods trains. The other four loops will accommodate two twelve and two ten coach expresses, with the outermost loops servicing the kickback sidings. Everything seen closest to the camera in the second photo needs to be mirrored on the furthest board so I've still got plenty more track to make yet. By comparison, the scenic side will be easy! 

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Steve, unless my eyes are going funny you'll need quite a few more gaps in those scissors crossings.

It is gapped the same way as the first scissor, so hopefully it will work just as well... I'm not sure that the angle of the photo helps in seeing things.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today I got to see the layout in the flesh for the first time since lockdown began (social distancing observed).

It's been great to see all the track I've been building in place on board three.

20200705_113356.jpg.7e0d636b2e967590bbda06c7634eb808.jpg

Although looking down the layout from board one shows just how much more work is needed to finished the fiddle yard! Still, we are finally in a position to think about laying down the track on what will become the scenic side!

20200705_113435.jpg.6bd3b3e089f14b013cf1e346fde8ac12.jpg

• Like 7

I actually got to do some track laying myself today. Social distancing was once again observed as this was really a one person job. This was a special milestone for me as these few lengths of track represent the beginning of the scenic section!

20200706_142309.jpg.472bb2989218fc4f395021f9a0118f2b.jpg

The Xuron box represents the entrance to the south tunnel and the lines to the left are the two storage loops at the front of the board which will be hidden under the embankment. Each loop will be able to hold three medium length formations with locos and will most likely end up housing the outer suburban services on the completed layout.

20200706_142322.jpg.4d28f19c92f0eb1cc45b1dd2bcfbfb99.jpg

The above photo shows that, despite the proximity to the hidden curves, stock on the innermost line will have just about straightened up when it becomes visible.

892616976_1950cOldrailwaystation.jpg.6ef15dec7b74e7cf99e3c38cc085c1d2.jpg

Finally a similar viewpoint to the first photo of the prototype (credit unknown). The layout photo would have been taken just before the station building and road bridge. This view of the station was taken in the early 1950's and the signal box had been removed from the end of the right hand platform by this point. It is most likely that the goods yard has also been lifted by this time, but the but the entrance gate and coal merchant's office can still be seen to the right of the main station building. Hopefully the prototype shows how the front loops will be hidden once scenery has been added.

• Like 7

G'Day Folks

Remember those GN booking halls very well, big hollow buildings, the smell of coal smoke, the feel of worn Oregon pine floorboards under your feet, the smoky dull glass windows, but the ticket office light and comforting in the gloom, with clean glass and brass, and green and cream paint.

Are there any left, Harringay, Hornsey and New Southgate, were my old stamping grounds as a kid, are there any left (Hadley Wood ) !!!! or has that been replaced with a 'Bus shelter'

manna

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Remember those GN booking halls very well, big hollow buildings, the smell of coal smoke, the feel of worn Oregon pine floorboards under your feet, the smoky dull glass windows, but the ticket office light and comforting in the gloom, with clean glass and brass, and green and cream paint.

Are there any left, Harringay, Hornsey and New Southgate, were my old stamping grounds as a kid, are there any left (Hadley Wood ) !!!! or has that been replaced with a 'Bus shelter'

manna

The only original feature of Hadley Wood station is the stairways to the original platforms, everything else is long gone I'm afraid. Oakleigh Park still has the wooden GNR platform buildings though. Below was grabbed from Google Street view.

2020-07-06.png.64d45fc070dc4fa0163e9a4369da4448.png

Edited by Atso
  • Like 2