Atso

The first sloshes of paint have been added. I'm not sure about the roof though and might redo it.

20200723_112219-1.jpg.d2f74d8f83e4f27b065a205badc29f31.jpg

The glazing needs some touch ups where I've removed the masking but I think it has potential...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

So small, he builds them Atom by Atom........!!!!!

manna

Oh, come on Manna, let's be serious! I can't build atom by atom, they're just too small. I build with molecules; most of them are quite large and complex ones! :P

Edited by Atso
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

Originally the photographic evidence I had suggested that the signal box was located on the ramp of the Down platform. However I've subsequently decided that this wasn't the case and the box was located immediately after the ramp. I've also discovered that there was a narrow walkway around the front and sides of the box, so I've had to make a few alterations.

20200724_094236-1.jpg.fb56c1286b64ee5ebd04f5fc6bc19e28.jpg

The privy now had a support structure underneath it - should make the signalman feel a bit safer in times of need. The bell above the door is from a spare spru off (I think) a Peco kit.

• Like 6

I've knocked up some steps out of 10 thou plastic card and down/drain pipes from various sizes of brass wire.

20200725_194246-1.jpg.1d6d1b8c543fa4e47e5e0d91ea9d5d7e.jpg

20200726_095245-1.jpg.55bb7bcd54e5cfbb3eea6f94f20614ae.jpg

20200726_101653-1.jpg.f3d36c314dd36e83db2ff97908e09003.jpg

I'm not sure about the steps, but will live with them for awhile before making a decision on them.

• Like 9

On 26/07/2020 at 13:35, richard i said:

Looks good, should there be a gap at the top of the stairs so the signalman can get on to the front walkway to clean the windows? - I do not know the answer which is why I am throwing it out there.
Richard  

Good question Richard and the answer is that I don't know. Looking at other signal boxes, this detail seems to be a too bit hit and miss to make a definite decision.

A field trip to Hadley Wood station was untaken on Monday afternoon to measure up what remained of the original station. A lot of reference photos were also taken and a surprising number of clues about the original layout still remained.

P1010386.JPG.757583a7c621b45812af63f8db23581a.JPG

The interior view of one of the (original?) windows.

P1010402.jpg.e36bb65e1508a54b06c808592ce53069.jpg

Looking at the old Down platform - The big gap is where the station use to be. Beyond the arches are the two 'new' lines added in the 1950's when the line was quadrupled. Amazingly, the uprights for the canopy supports still remain attached to the stairway; these are a fantastic find as I can use them to work out the likely dimensions of the (long gone) waiting rooms.

P1010415.jpg.3c869e3d47670284ea9bdee00bae316e.jpg

A view of the outer wall of the Down stairway taken from what was the old goods sidings, but now platform four. The footbridge in the top right corner is the 1950's extension that linked the station building to the new platform.

Using the information gathered on Monday, a set of scale drawings of these structures was put together. I then used as many reference photos of the station building as I could find to work out the basic dimensions of the missing bits. The photos offered by Jeremy (cornish trains jez) were invaluable as well and he has my thanks for his help and sharing them on page one of this threat.

1071494353_HadleyWoodBridgeWorkings.jpg.db242299373450d932cd8b9cc8cea4e3.jpg

I've still got some way to go and several details are still missing - most notably the station's two chimneys. The drawings are to 1:148 scale and all the dimensions are in MM. 

On 07/06/2018 at 21:57, cornish trains jez said:

Edited by Atso
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
On 26/07/2020 at 13:35, richard i said:

Looks good, should there be a gap at the top of the stairs so the signalman can get on to the front walkway to clean the windows? - I do not know the answer which is why I am throwing it out there.
Richard  

Signalbox is excellent,  really good especially when so small. I guess it's based on photos of the original. I am surprised that it had an outside walkway, th3 box is quite low and the windows could be reached with a step ladder for cleaning quite easily. Will you be using gnats whiskers for the railings?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Atso said:

on page one of this threat.

Your secret’s out. Does this mean your whole thread has been a metaphor for your cunning plan to capture the likes of Ian Rathbone and threaten them with lining all your Atlantics or they’ll be shrunk down and stuck to Hadley Wood’s platforms for eternity?

Lovely work on the tunnel mouth and signal box. Where do you 2mm modellers get your huge coins from?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

22 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

Your secret’s out. Does this mean your whole thread has been a metaphor for your cunning plan to capture the likes of Ian Rathbone and threaten them with lining all your Atlantics or they’ll be shrunk down and stuck to Hadley Wood’s platforms for eternity?

Lovely work on the tunnel mouth and signal box. Where do you 2mm modellers get your huge coins from?

Brilliant! I'm not sure whether I should confess or question your sanity for managing to create such a narrative from one autocorrect error... :laugh_mini:

P.S. Giant coins are sold by the 2mm Association. ;)

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

31 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Is this any good, you can see the Chimneys, and a nice somersault signal.

manna 

Hadley Woods Station baB5.jpg

Thanks Manna. Funnily enough I've been using this photo to work out some of the details of the bridge span and upper sections of the piers.

1303828009_HadleyWoodBridgeWorkings1.jpg.5a4ce67fb25fffa2281ac66a8c7f13a7.jpg

Sadly, both the signal and crossover in the distance were removed during the 1932 resignalling work. Still no chimneys yet!

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

Signalbox is excellent,  really good especially when so small. I guess it's based on photos of the original. I am surprised that it had an outside walkway, th3 box is quite low and the windows could be reached with a step ladder for cleaning quite easily. Will you be using gnats whiskers for the railings?

Thank you. It is based on photographic evidence but I've been forced to fill in quite a few blanks. I was surprised about the walkway but it is there on more than one photo. It is about the same height as the platforms so it might have been a bit of a stretch to clean the windows without it. I've not found any evidence of railings being in place, either on the outside of the walkway or mounted on the window frames. I find that gnats get really annoyed when I try and pinch their whiskers so, if I decided to add railing,  I'll use 0.25mm wire instead!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

A return to the northern tunnel mouth this morning saw some more weathering work undertaken.

20200804_103015-1-1.jpg.0664daf06888185c35c7d518701ffd19.jpg

I've tried to represent the water staining evident in photos of the real thing as well as adding some soot staining. This has been done using a dark grey wash, oil paints (for the water staining/streaking) and powders. I leave this for a few days before sealing everything in using a slightly dirty matt varnish to tie everything together.

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thank you Richard.

As an interesting comparison, below is a photo of the real tunnel mouth as it is today. In the foreground is the buttress for the second tunnel which was bored during the 1953-59 quadrupling work. Despite appearances in the photo, the majority of the brick is brown/red.

P1010420.JPG.7d6cf38a62bd1fae227a79ce4a1652f7.JPG

You can see the areas where I simplified the construction of my version.

Edited by Atso
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Lovely tunnelmouth, surprising how big they !!

Here's a pic of the coins used by the 2mm society being shown off !

manna

Giant coins.jpg

Thanks Manna! Those aren't the coins sold by the 2mm Association. I think I've seen them before on either the P4 or S7 sites...

• Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...

I feel that the old station is finally revealing its details to me, although I'm not sure about my positions of some those details. Below is my interpretation of the platform waiting rooms and their relationship with the stairwells. The canopy supports are next to be designed and I'm getting excited that the time when I'll be able to start constructing the model is getting nearer.

1864859505_WaitingRooms.jpg.b2e63b7d9842dd75efb8f40ec0795706.jpg

• Like 7