Atso

14 minutes ago, richard i said:

By the time you have drawn this 2d cutting of the basic shapes might be possible / helpful.

richard

Well I do have an old Craftrobo cutter which would happily mark out the shapes (but not cut through). If my computer didn't have a hissy fit every time I try and draw brickwork, I'd be very tempted to have the whole lot laser cut.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just discovered this thread as a result of your post on WrightWrites Atso.       What an excellent and speedy start you have made to Hadley Wood.    

Having spent my early years loitering on Oakleigh Park and New Barnet stations I did contemplate having a crack at Oakleigh Park in N Gauge 35 years or so ago.   Like so many ideas it was but a pipe dream!

Anyway, looking forward to the next update, it must be almost finished by now!

Alan

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, PupCam said:

Just discovered this thread as a result of your post on WrightWrites Atso.       What an excellent and speedy start you have made to Hadley Wood.    

Having spent my early years loitering on Oakleigh Park and New Barnet stations I did contemplate having a crack at Oakleigh Park in N Gauge 35 years or so ago.   Like so many ideas it was but a pipe dream!

Alan

I was born and brought up less than half a mile from Oakleigh Park and spent many hours on the footbridge watching the A4's thundering past. From the tunnel there until they disappeared into the Hadley Wood tunnel Northbound trains could be heard from my bedroom window, long freight trains with squeaky wheels and the banging of couplings throughout the night.

We sometimes walked up the footpaths past New Barnet gasworks towards Hadley Wood tunnel, and up over it. The embankments were a good place to watch the trains go by. What memories, inspired my interest in steam motive power.

I contemplated a tunnel to tunnel layout in my loft, but only briefly. The idea was to split the scene half on each side, bending the panorama around the gable end - a sort of fisheye view, based on the view from where I lived. I couldnt work out what to do with the trains after they enetered the tunnels, would have needed Helixes at both ends to store the trains, gave up the idea as too complex and difficult.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, RobinofLoxley said:

I was born and brought up less than half a mile from Oakleigh Park and spent many hours on the footbridge watching the A4's thundering past. From the tunnel there until they disappeared into the Hadley Wood tunnel Northbound trains could be heard from my bedroom window, long freight trains with squeaky wheels and the banging of couplings throughout the night.

We sometimes walked up the footpaths past New Barnet gasworks towards Hadley Wood tunnel, and up over it. The embankments were a good place to watch the trains go by. What memories, inspired my interest in steam motive power.

I contemplated a tunnel to tunnel layout in my loft, but only briefly. The idea was to split the scene half on each side, bending the panorama around the gable end - a sort of fisheye view, based on the view from where I lived. I couldnt work out what to do with the trains after they enetered the tunnels, would have needed Helixes at both ends to store the trains, gave up the idea as too complex and difficult.

I grew up in Mill Hill. A favourite bike ride was to Hadley Wood, south of the tunnels where a footpath dropped down to the lineside on the Down side.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, PupCam said:

Alan

Thank you Alan,

You'd think I'd be almost finished by now but life, work, the Universe and everything has gotten in the way. The reality is that the layout hasn't progressed much since my last post but I hope to be making up the turnouts and track for the remaining kickback sidings before the end of the year.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, RobinofLoxley said:

You were just a little bit before me then.  By the time I was old enough to go and amuse myself for the day watching trains the A4s, A3s etc had all gone.   But I did have the consolation prize of seeing all the Deltics in the "proper" livery (that'll be two tone green then), DP2 and all of the Baby Deltics  :D.     I too could hear the railway from my bedroom but it needed to be a a cold clear night really to do so.   

I've posted this photograph on WW previously but hopefully it will bring back memories of the smell of those planks that dominated the senses as you lay flat on the bridge, looking through the lowest lattice and under the station footbridge to try and catch the earliest glimpse of what was emerging from  Southgate tunnel heading for the Skelton bridge.    Of course, if it was Deltic you didn't need to see it!

Happy days!

Alan

Bridge.JPG.39847138fa1bd1c2d11141d8df82ceb8.JPG

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Atso said:

You'd think I'd be almost finished by now but life, work, the Universe and everything has gotten in the way.

Ah, yes real life has the habit of doing that!   

Anyway, I'm looking forward to progress just as soon as "life" gives you a bit of space to make some more progress.   Fingers crossed it won't be too long!

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PupCam said:

You were just a little bit before me then.  By the time I was old enough to go and amuse myself for the day watching trains the A4s, A3s etc had all gone.   But I did have the consolation prize of seeing all the Deltics in the "proper" livery (that'll be two tone green then), DP2 and all of the Baby Deltics  :D.     I too could hear the railway from my bedroom but it needed to be a a cold clear night really to do so.   

I've posted this photograph on WW previously but hopefully it will bring back memories of the smell of those planks that dominated the senses as you lay flat on the bridge, looking through the lowest lattice and under the station footbridge to try and catch the earliest glimpse of what was emerging from  Southgate tunnel heading for the Skelton bridge.    Of course, if it was Deltic you didn't need to see it!

Happy days!

Alan

Bridge.JPG.39847138fa1bd1c2d11141d8df82ceb8.JPG

That is exactly what I used to do!  It was actually possible to look through both tunnels all the way to Wood Green you could sometimes see them coming depending on the weather how much smoke was hanging about. I remember the transition to deltics and worse the replacement of suburban non corridor stock with dmus, especially the long ones of the Cambridge service - used to emit more fumes than an entire fleet of deltics.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, while the layout might not be progressing much, it doesn't mean that things aren't going on.

After being taken apart and tinkered with/rebuilt more times than I care to count I'm finally at a point where I think the performance of this little loco is good enough for my needs.

Please don't asked me about the electrical equipment in the video, not my area of expertise I'm afraid...

Now I just need to sort out the other two C1s and get them running like this. BTW, 4436 will handle 14 Gresleys with a little slipping on the curves and 16 with a lot of slipping.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow, quite awhile without an update!

To prove that progress hasn't completely stopped on Hadley Wood, I'd like to present a couple of screengrabs of my work on the main station building.

A fellow modeller in Australia managed to find some of the original architect's drawings and was kind enough to share them with me. This reveal some errors in my own assumptions about the long gone station building - mainly the heights of things.

Nothing more happened for several months until I suddenly got the urge to try rending brickwork in CAD again! Those who know me will tell you that I detest doing brickwork in CAD as it takes forever for the computer to do it's work and seriously slows everything! This time, I've worked in small sections, piecing everything together in STL format which has proven just about quick enough for me to maintain my sanity. Also, I only draw half the station and mirrored the STL file, saving it under a different file name and then importing the original and joining the two halves together.

All of that has taken most of my spare time over the last couple of weeks...

Anyway, enough waffle (typos and all!) - to the pics!

HadleyWoodProgress23-5-231.PNG.e8c8aa0e01b8ccc7eecfd347dba9a0cd.PNG

HadleyWoodProgress23-5-232.PNG.d547a9588dd444ee0c675b6dfe702687.PNG

HadleyWoodProgress23-5-233.PNG.39d5d9bcbe46a543ff6bd92b95765f07.PNG

As the screengrabs show, very early days and much more to be done!

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5