Presflo hoppers in china clay traffic.

Tove

Please fogive my ignorance in asking this;

But have presflo hoppers ever been used or trialed in china clay traffic during the 70`s-80`s time period?.I ask because, probably like most folk`s i associate the 4 wheel open wagon`s with this traffic at that time,and all the photo`s i`ve seen bear this out.

But then i came across the photo below in an album called 'Wenford clay' on flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25025911@N08/11805095156/in/album-72157639488341185/

So hence the question!.

Thanks in advance...

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

I have never seen any photographic evidence of Presflos being used for transporting china clay. I may be wrong, but I doubt that china clay, even in its driest form, would be a suitable load for a Presflo wagon.

David

I have never seen any photographic evidence of Presflos being used for transporting china clay. I may be wrong, but I doubt that china clay, even in its driest form, would be a suitable load for a Presflo wagon.

David

Thanks David,

That did sort of cross my mind,as i`m sure china clay is more of a denser powder than cement,but was`nt too sure.

At one time there was traffic in slate powder from Delabole quarry. When the North Cornwall line closed in 1966, the flow continued at least until the early 70s. I have a photo of a Prestflow at Loswhithiel from about that time. Possibly it was loaded at Wadebridge from a lorry? The photo is dated 1977. Wadebridge closed in 1978, if my memory is correct, but I cannot confirm that at the moment as all my books are packed away for a house move.

Slate powder, that`s a new one on me!.

Given the whiteish/grey powder on the prseflo`s in the picture,I`d say you where spot on.Very useful info that,and another source of traffic to add to the possible future 70`s Wadebridge layout....

Thanks Paul.

Cheers guy`s

Brian.