Zimo 6 pin decoder (MX622N) will not accelerate using Lenz Equipment

R1ch1ew

After using Lenz silver 6 pin chips for years I thought I'd try the cheaper Zimo MX622N 6 pin decoders. I've installed and set new addresses without issue but I cannot get the loco, a Dapol Class 67 to accelerate.  Lights function correctly but I cannot get the loco to accelerate past a very slow crawl.  I've also picked up a Farish Class 37 split from a set with DCC pre-fitted.  I'm assuming that the chip fitted is a Zimo/Bachmann 6 pin, again I've got the same issue with no speed other than a crawl.  

I've re-checked a Dapol/Lenz Silver combination, that's working fine.  I've swapped controllers, even tried operating using the Lenz PC interface and changing the speed steps, unfortunately no change.

I'm sure I'm doing something daft, if anyone could offer a clue it would be greatly appreciated!

I use Zimo decoders almost exclusively. I am also a Lenz user of almost as many years as it has been available. There is no inherent conflict between the systems.

Fisrt do your other engines run as expoeted? If yes I'd check that you haven't inadvertently adjusted the Max and Mid Volts settings while doing something else. The default setting should be CV5 = 1 and CV6 =1...

...or if you prefer, do a CV8 = 8 reset which will set the decoder back to address 03 and everything else back to factory settings. Then test the engine on address 3 before you reprogramme the address to your chosen number.

Best,

John K

Try turning off BEMF (motor control feed-back). I'm not sure which CV does this as I use JMRI to program my decoders.

Steven B.

Fine for testing. 

But a silly thing to do for longer term.  Zimo has one of the best BEMF algorithms available from any maker.  BEMF is a key part of fine control of motors.  So turning of a key feature which makes a Zimo better than alternatives seems a silly thing to do. 

Clearly something not right, but as to what its hard to tell. 

- Nigel

Thank you for the replies, quick update.

I fired up the Lenz CV editor program, place the locos in question on the programming track and read back the CV info.  Both locos had retained the new ID's I'd applied but for some reason applied 1's against all the other CV's, so the maximum speed was set at 1 rather than the default 254.  So the locos were maxing out at 1 no matter how high I accelerated to....  A hard reset on CV8 restored the settings to default, then a quick change to the ID's.

Hope that makes sense?

I did think it would be something daft.

Thanks again for the comments.