A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

This journey started when Hornby introduced their Sentinel diesel shunter...one of these had been based in my local quarry (Raisby in County Durham...Hornby even made a model of this very locomotive!)...and then, more recently, Hattons announced their Andrew Barclay tank engine, again one of these had been based at Raisby...you can see where this was going...it just took me sometime to get there...

My previous attempt at building a model railway was a bit on the small size...so with bigger ambitions and a burning desire to create soemthing I got back into my comfy armchair and did nowt for ages...although I did buy a book on Jackson couplings and another on Cameo layouts...

My good friend Mr Pourcy Mane introduced me to the Cameo competition with his 'Effit works' madness, not to be out done I got out of the armchair and sat back down at the computer chair and decided to start with some research...

My results can be seen here...https://www.flickr.com/photos/159486954@N02/favorites...as you can see I've done a lot of looking at pictures...including this trio...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/39399904845/in/album-72157690450489312/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/26424904628/in/album-72157690450489312/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/39399904535/in/album-72157690450489312/

A model based on Raisby with the quarry loco shed at its centre was slowly developing in my head and I would have continued with the reseach had it not been a reminder from the Cameo competition organisers asking if I was still on the planet...Having done nothing but research I had to get out of the computer chair...so I stuck some sheets of paper together, drew some lines on them...and proud of my result, I rolled it up and took it down the pub. The pub wasn't that impressed so more paper, more lines and more sticky tape has resulted in the following plan...

post-7975-0-08979100-1525729415_thumb.jpgpost-7975-0-04763900-1525729489_thumb.jpgpost-7975-0-67438700-1525729577_thumb.jpg

...lets see how long I can stare at this before the gaffer wants the kitchen table back and I decide to start cutting some wood...

...to be continued (I hope)...Garmondsway btw is the posh name for Raisby which is the posh name for Kelloe (Kella) Bank Foot...hopefully all will be explained.

• Like 7

So you didn't spend the hottest bank holiday on record laying in the garden working on your tan.

SIgnal box might need the ladders moving to the other side depending on which modellers license you grant yourself. The door to the locking room was dead centre on the west side.

post-508-0-51777200-1525743094.jpg

and here's the still surviving gate post that guarded the quarry's West entrance  stood against the South East corner of the South quarry loco shed.

post-508-0-84013600-1525743111.jpg

As seen in the previously linked photograph.

https://flic.kr/p/232CP3e

So that your merry readers can get their bearings, the real thing.

post-508-0-10550900-1525743166_thumb.jpg

Nowt to do with railways but King Canute once rested his weary head about 400 yards to the south of the loco shed. I only mention that in passing as now you have served notice of intent, I expect to see the floodgates of furtherance well & truly opened or will the tide of progress come to a sudden stop mid tsunami?

P

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Hi Duncan.

Pleased to track this one down. Fascinating project and I hope you're making progress. I love a bit of North East industrial action so will follow with interest.

I am a massive fan of Croft Depot and if this compared in any way then it will be stunning and you'll be on to a winner!!

David

PS - I was that random gadgie who accosted you in The Bridge Hotel a few weeks ago when you were just trying to enjoy a quiet post-exhibition pint!! I do apologise... the beer obviously lowered my social inhibitions!!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

PS - I was that random gadgie who accosted you in The Bridge Hotel a few weeks ago when you were just trying to enjoy a quiet post-exhibition pint!! I do apologise... the beer obviously lowered my social inhibitions!!

and I was the random guy charging round the bar naked with my underpants on my head!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Hi Duncan.

Pleased to track this one down. Fascinating project and I hope you're making progress. I love a bit of North East industrial action so will follow with interest.

I am a massive fan of Croft Depot and if this compared in any way then it will be stunning and you'll be on to a winner!!

David

Hi David

Thnks for your kind words...and yes that was Uncle Porcy running round the Bridge Hotel in his 'eddie grundies'...you may also remember him from The Grand Hotel in Bishop Auckland when you so kindly 'volunteered' to look after Croft whilst Uncle P was at the bar with money in his hand...a model railway show and beer festival in a brewpub...now that IS a winning combination.  Garmondsway is currently on the floor having the pointowrk drawn onto the plan and the baseboard CAD drawing is nearing completion...so you never know this one might actually get finished!

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 2

Hi David

Thnks for your kind words...and yes that was Uncle Porcy running round the Bridge Hotel in his 'eddie grundies'...you may also remember him from The Grand Hotel in Bishop Auckland when you so kindly 'volunteered' to look after Croft whilst Uncle P was at the bar with money in his hand...a model railway show and beer festival in a brewpub...now that IS a winning combination.  Garmondsway is currently on the floor having the pointowrk drawn onto the plan and the baseboard CAD drawing is nearing completion...so you never know this one might actually get finished!

Cheers

Duncan

Do I have to start another show in a pub to get you motivated?

• Like 2

Hi David

Thnks for your kind words...and yes that was Uncle Porcy running round the Bridge Hotel in his 'eddie grundies'...you may also remember him from The Grand Hotel in Bishop Auckland when you so kindly 'volunteered' to look after Croft whilst Uncle P was at the bar with money in his hand...a model railway show and beer festival in a brewpub...now that IS a winning combination. Garmondsway is currently on the floor having the pointowrk drawn onto the plan and the baseboard CAD drawing is nearing completion...so you never know this one might actually get finished!

Cheers

Duncan

Ha ha yes, how could I forget!

Pleased to hear of progress. I am similarly doing some 1:1 paper plannig for a small O gauge layout... it's good - roll it out on the dining room table, look at it, push some wagons around and then roll it away again... the ultimate in minimum space modelling ;)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any progress Mr Axlebox? (Either on the layout or pursuading Mr Fishwick to host another 'exhibition' in the pub? ;) )

Hi David

Holidays have got in the way slightly...and we're off to EM North this weekend with Croft Depot...so not much progress in August.

I have however now drawn up the baseboards for lazer cutting...just need to tweak in the devious bits, like the built in lighting and making sure the things goes together and yet comes apart for maintenance...

I've run through the final trackplan with Uncle Poursea...and apart from the usual lecture on DCC and the failure of the 'youth' of today to learn form their elders and betters he was quite positive...I did however distract his attention by admitting to having bought a Clayton which I intend to run with a brake tender...

The next challenge is getting some Alex Jackson couplings working.

A/box

You forgot to mention the nod of approval from Mr Be-Careful.

Now about that Clayton. Five minutes work to clear the cab followed by a full detailing exercise. That leaves you plenty of spare room under the bonnets for one of those big DCC chips, twin speakers & working fans. Probably a step too far to get the radiator slats slamming open and shut.

post-508-0-62896100-1536264261.jpg

• 5 months later...

...Signal boxes...never built one before (except a Superquick one, and an Airfix one) so I thought I'd best do some reasearch, luckily for me the base of Kelloe Bank Foot box (the one photographed by Porsea main and only a couple of hundred yards from the quarry) still exists...so I went to have a look, tape measure in hand...

1694030057_KBF1.JPG.f3eed5cd0676e0a9cb90797beba423f9.JPG

...the base was fairly standard for an NER Northern Division signal box (although it did look like at some stage the top half had been extended back by a couple of feet).  I suspect it would have looked like Hett Mill  (3 miles away on the ECML) as here...

403074768_KBF7.JPG.1daf6ae40977205e348e92258cb5fd37.JPG

However, the signal box before Kelloe BF was Coxhoe Bridge which was a very tall and thin (front to back) box...which is most likely what Kelloe BF looked like before it was extended back...(tho obviously not as tall!)

351419855_KBF8.JPG.ce93c68e547c9bb0bfb0182715b5cc43.JPG

...and further along the line the box at Trimdon Station was even thinner still...and just to make things more interesting the signal boxes around Ferryhill were a right old mash up of NER designs, with no 2 boxes the same...there were designs from all 3 divisions of the NER within a 3 mile radius, with design features from the old Central division cropping up in later Northern Division designs...so the next move was to do some mock ups...

Firstly a Northern Division design, as per Hett Mill...

741149513_KBF4.JPG.d46ed47c962c89d0f3d84e13597d42b4.JPG

Secondly a Northern Division design similar in width to Coxhoe Bridge (with a little Central Division extra detailing above the windows)

705393668_KBF6.JPG.84e834b3e9d49bfc9bb1e9abcd387423.JPG

Thirdly...to a similar width as Trimdon (again with some extra detailing)...

623855473_KBF5.JPG.0347b8b2076d5b93e78bcd92c7774839.JPG

so to compare the 3...

1156227049_KBF3.JPG.fbc20dac2e00f916f8d3fcd1b111273b.JPG

remembering that Garmondsway is very much a Cameo where size is everything...I thought it best to roll out the mat and try the 3 designs in situ...weidly they all seem to be floating 6 (scale) inches above the ground...

1035007189_KBF9.JPG.3151c3acfc4ef3ee13bcc4ab16ff4c50.JPG

1886972169_KBF11.JPG.c35e04848e5b5953f003fe790f988d63.JPG

1234845000_KBF10.JPG.f845a57ab4239ecb5f583102e652099e.JPG

...and the conclusion was, one was to deep, one was too thin and one was just right...so probably time to start building one in plastic...

KBF 2.JPG

Edited by Axlebox
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 7 months later...

So, after months of deliberation and planning I finally plucked up the courage to scrounge some cardboard boxes from my local library (remember therm!) and even more daring (and not without expense) invest in a box load of hot melt glue...

The intention was to make a mock up of Garmondsway so I could get a real feel for what it would look like, how the woodworks would go together, would it fit in the back of the car...and, and, and

What follows is my exploration in cardboard...

I have yet to mock up the loco shed, either of the bridges, or the electrical sub station (it sits behind the loco shed) I've also got to finalize the spoil heap that forms the back bone to most of the railway...

DSCF6616.JPG

DSCF6619.JPG

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Axlebox said:

(remember therm!)

Vaguely!

36962821904_abfff4ab7a_c.jpgMr Therm Brings Health Hygiene Comfort & Good Cooking by Clive Hurst, on Flickr

Or maybe it was MOS No.2L

40941643902_b37277ca8c_c.jpgMr Therm,Seaton Park,Old Aberdeen_mar 18_777 by Alan Longmuir., on Flickr

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Some fascinating stuff here, chaps. I've walked along the old formation from Ferryhill through Doggy to Coxhoe Bridge before, but how far further towards Hart can you still get? I've also followed the route down from the colliery through Kelloe towards the junction - at least until the formation was lost in the quarry approach road. I must go looking for the base of the 'box at some time, having seen the photos here.

I'm also fascinated by the old photos that have been posted of Coxhoe Bridge etc - I hadn't seen those particular images before.

Thanks again.

As an aside, and apropos of nothing in particular, I've just had it confirmed, thanks to Gurgle Erf's 'back in time' feature, that my son & his family live right on the route of the old Ferryhill to Spennymoor line! I had my suspicions - it was nice to have it confirmed :D

Mark

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

20191110_135754-1600x1200.jpg.a586f8ea913e98a0709be45463416d0b.jpg

20191110_135852-1600x1200.jpg.89cf1376a42adba76b0d457366bc067b.jpg

...very appropriate, my Great Grandfather drove a '398' out of Shildon shed...not so sure about the electric though (even if they were based in Shildon)...according to my dad, who said he remembered them,  they used to sit and make a fizzing sound from the pantograph...it would be nice to make a NER cameo with either the dockside pair or a couple of the Newport-Shildon locomotives...now where's my copy of 'The Electric Railway that never was' by RAS Hennessey...I've got plenty of cardboard spare.

Also, thank you to everyone who stopped by at the Newcastle show this afternoon (The Garmondsway mock up was there as part of a demonstration entitled 'fun with a glue gun'), your kind words, thoughts and prayers are much appreciated, as was the meteorological advice 'get home son, before it starts to rain'...sound advice that.

Also, also thanks to Paul Gallon for stopping by with his '398' and some stock.

• Like 2