Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium

What can I say; this is a game-changer! 

A few unusual wagons, a couple of pretty tank engines, could (probably unfairly) be seen as marginal, but the class 66, in all its varieties and flavours really shows that Hattons mean business. It was an open goal, really. THE bread-and-butter modern loco, still with lots of potential as the real things are only at mid-life, and yet Bachmann and Hornby have dropped the ball. The standard liveries can have a permanent place in the catalogue, and the specials can be done as and when. It's basically printing bank notes!

And on the day Hornby made their "big" [non] announcement....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's certainly a bold statement of intent - going in with 30 variants! That really is worthy of an announcement, unlike some others who preceded you today!

If you fancy halving it in size (roughly!) I'd have a load!

Edited by njee20

• RMweb Premium

Just superb - and all for £150, that’s a steal - makes you question the value for money with the existing offerings of today!

Looking forward to this :)

Cheers,

James

Have to say that it was going to be obvious that class 66 would be chosen as the next model for the big DCC upgrade by someone. I can't help but feel that Hattons have had this project going for sometime, but then have kept an eye on the thread that Realtrack have been going for, about the standard of what should be done next.

The spec really is looking good. No gimmicks such as DCC smoke, but has the detail such as the turning axel boxes and the control of light functions, which should have been standard on DCC years ago.

On a personal note, I love the mass release of some models and wonder how many will be made of each one. If there are about 500 of each, it essencially makes them all limited editions from the outset. On the other hand the mass release gives scope for who wants what. Theres many on that list that I have renumbered too from Bachmann examples and now the expensive process of selling and building up a war chest for mass 66 replacement, gets underway.

• Like 1

Guest spet0114

Now that is how one makes an announcement!

Could someone please direct it to the attention of the folk at Margate?

Also - 30 variants - one more than 29!  (this announcement is officially one louder?)

Edited by spet0114

Wow. Huge news.

Are we witnessing the start of the slow death of the Big Two traditional manufacturers (taking local model shops with them) as Hattons and Rails gain new confidence and grab, per model, vastly higher margins than Hornby or Bachman could ever hope for with their business model of trading through bricks and mortar shops (each of which needs a share of profit)?

With crowdfunding on one side, and this on the other, I wouldn’t want to be a traditional manufacturer (or a local model shop owner).

Equally, no-one else has come close to offering the sheer breadth of range of the Big Two, so I’d say it’s a pretty uncertain future for all of us.

Paul

Just superb - and all for £150, that’s a steal - makes you question the value for money with the existing offerings of today!

Looking forward to this :)

Cheers,

James

There is no retailer margin built into this though. It would be like Bachmann, Hornby etc selling direct to the public at trade prices, therefore removing the retailer margin, and indeed the retailers.

Now THAT'S what I call an announcement!  Just the news I've been waiting for - I knew it would come from somewhere, someday...

Lots of questions to come...! 

...but for now, excellent news and the best of luck with the project!

Edited by YesTor

Wow Hatton's this is a fantastic announcement and you'll have my business in 2019 and beyond...well done.

I've got 10 Bachmann Sheds which two are non-limited edition thus will be keeping my 8 limited editions and selling the other two but going by the list I'll probably purchase minimum 8 at this stage.

The only criticism is that you have a decent base price of £150 for the DCC Ready version, £165 for DCC Fitted but think your sound version price is high at £265 considering it is factory fitted and not done by a retailer, I think £245-£250 would have been a better price scale for sound.

Btw I would think Bachmann, especially Hornby or other retailers would now cease releasing any further Class 66's, can't imagine them selling well off the back of this announcement and I for one will now stop purchasing 66's or even look at another one until these new ones arrive from Hatton's.

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Gold

There is no retailer margin built into this though. It would be like Bachmann, Hornby etc selling direct to the public at trade prices, therefore removing the retailer margin, and indeed the retailers.

Any retailer who commissions models should be building in the equivalent of a retail margin into the price.