Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

Afternoon all,

We are very excited to show you the latest Class 66 samples which show almost all of the liveries we are producing.

We hope you agree that the quality of painting and printing on these is amazing and captures livery elements from the largest logo down to the smallest safety signs.

There are still a couple of tweaks to a small number of paint colours and prints but on the whole this is how they will arrive.

The next samples will have a fully working PCB which will allow us to show you the lighting modes on all types of control as well as the finished sounds with the updated speaker.

All 32 versions are still available to order on THIS page of our website.

As always let us know what you think.

Cheers,

Dave

Now we have a choice on a Class 66.  I suggest Bachmann & Hornby are rattled by this!!

The Choice it seems is:

1/    Hattons Class 66 with some unique features and sounds at in my opinion a reasonable price.

2/    Bachmann Class 66 which has the old tooling and minimal features (Unless I have missed the announcements)

3/    Hornby (Old Lima) very old tooling in there Rail Road range, the only thing in its favour is its 'Cheap'

With all the announcements of duplicated models we are entering interesting times, sadly Hornby & Bachmann have taken their eye off the ball and let the smaller guys in.

I hope these guys will listen & Learn, dont keep jacking the prices up and offer nothing in return.

Charlie

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Now we have a choice on a Class 66.  I suggest Bachmann & Hornby are rattled by this!!

The Choice it seems is:

1/    Hattons Class 66 with some unique features and sounds at in my opinion a reasonable price.

2/    Bachmann Class 66 which has the old tooling and minimal features (Unless I have missed the announcements)

3/    Hornby (Old Lima) very old tooling in there Rail Road range, the only thing in its favour is its 'Cheap'

With all the announcements of duplicated models we are entering interesting times, sadly Hornby & Bachmann have taken their eye off the ball and let the smaller guys in.

I hope these guys will listen & Learn, dont keep jacking the prices up and offer nothing in return.

Charlie

It may be the only thing in its favour, but it may be all that it needs to sell well. (I can't justify to myself what Hattons want for what is no doubt a very nice model, but at what Hornby are charging I quite fancy the BR large logo one for novelty value).

Maybe Bachmann are the ones who will lose out, with their model sitting in the middle between 'cheap and cheerful' and high detailed for the 'discerning' modeller. Unless it turns out that Hattons drop an enormous clanger in their model in some way.

I've been reading snippets of this forum where appropriate for me, for a while. I was a teenage fan 45 years ago and am sort-of re-starting in the hobby, but am new on the site.

Hattons was always my 'go to' shop, being born a 'Scouser', when I was considerably younger, when it was run by Mr Hatton, with his pipe, and in the older shop.

My dad used to park in the side roads opposite and we'd cross Smithdown Road to browse ....

How things have changed ... certainly the detail, quality and choice of models available, across almost all ages / eras.

Now Hattons have this fantastic model made available for the enthusiast.

There's been mention of a few things and doubtless the rivet-counters - used to be one myself!! - will find things to comment on, but criticism should be constructive, unless really necessary.

From what I see here, it's a superb effort - from me, I definitely give a 'hat's off and well done' to Hattons.

I already have a Bachmann Freightliner (single bogie pick-up) Class 66, which apart from the obvious potential for stalling over points, is superb.

It does appear this model moves the game on a little further.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

It certainly looks very nice, it’s going to be mighty hard to resist getting one for a rebuild.

I just found a photo of 66002 in April 1999 (so just in period for me) working on china clay.

Clearly it needs some modification from the 66005 model that is closest, moving lifting eyes, adding a flush horn grill and painting the grills EWS red.)

Just need to find out how hard it is going to be to convert to P4, I live in hope they follow the lead of Accurascale and SLW and make the job easy...

• RMweb Premium

The Choice it seems is:

Charlie

I don’t think so. Hornby are shrewdly bringing theirs out at about half the price of the Hattons one . It’s a different market completely from someone that wants the absolute High Fidelity Model , which would be the Hattons one . If anything it’s Bachmann that’ll get squeezed out. They know that which is why the price has dropped by £25 . Still don’t think it’s enough though!

• RMweb Premium

I don’t think so. Hornby are shrewdly bringing theirs out at about half the price of the Hattons one . It’s a different market completely from someone that wants the absolute High Fidelity Model , which would be the Hattons one . If anything it’s Bachmann that’ll get squeezed out. They know that which is why the price has dropped by £25 . Still don’t think it’s enough though!

And for the younger modeller (these days perhaps more likely to be running on a parent or grandparent's layout?), the more robust nature of the cheaper option is also somewhat useful.

Thats a serious outlay of liveries! Doesn't the original wi-pac light cluster look overscale? Or perhaps this is known and the black printing shall be reduced. 

The comment about GB Railfreight orange being too dark, I would disagree and instead it is the yellow warning which is too lemony. Needs a warmer choice. See the excellent Carl Watson site, of ex-works re-paints: 

http://www.carlswatson.com/Trains/Galleries%202015/Galleries%20201504/20150416ArlingtonEastleighWorks/eastleighworks16thapril20152.html

http://www.carlswatson.com/Trains/Galleries%202015/Galleries%20201501/20150107ArlingtonEastleighWorks/eastleighworks7thjanuary20153.html

Does not seem too much to correct, but I won't be ordering until production models are shown, just in-case. Hobby after all, would be nice to have some detailed 66s, but I can equally pay for new teak decks on the yacht.... 

post-22366-0-38225100-1548709849_thumb.png

• Agree 1

They look amazing Dave. Well done!!

Personally though I feel that the etched see-through grilles don't capture the effect correctly and therefore is the only let down. It's just my opinion. It won't stop me from buying atleast one. Maybe it's the angle, but from the current images it's literally looking like regular square mesh minus the corrugated effect.

Would ditto the comments on the really good job, but would echo the comments on the look of the side etch, unless it is just the photos (on your website).  Some of the samples also seem to have a bit of trouble with the top etches being secured properly.

My only other queries would be on the First Barbie Livery - is the blue/purple correct (again it may be the photos), and some of the pink/white lines, where they join are printed slightly off.

But on the whole - looking really good.

Best Regards,

C. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

i hope the later variation side windows (as on 301 and 727) are made a bit finer, they look just 'wrong' from the angle of the photos

cant put my finger on the front section looking too big or the rear section looking too small but the internal bit between them seems to exaggerate the thickness of the complete glazing unit 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

as for the GBRf orange/yellow

there are 2 different variations as seen here with the doyen of Gb's fleet in original livery (where you can barely see the yellow) next to europorte livery 66752 with easily discernible yellow end

https://flic.kr/p/29YEPic

and here is model subject 66704 in original livery and the yellow goes right up to the windscreen as per the model and easily discernible compared to my pic of 701

not my pic

https://flic.kr/p/TPGTJb

Edited by big jim

Thats a serious outlay of liveries! Doesn't the original wi-pac light cluster look overscale? Or perhaps this is known and the black printing shall be reduced.

The comment about GB Railfreight orange being too dark, I would disagree and instead it is the yellow warning which is too lemony. Needs a warmer choice. See the excellent Carl Watson site, of ex-works re-paints:

http://www.carlswatson.com/Trains/Galleries%202015/Galleries%20201504/20150416ArlingtonEastleighWorks/eastleighworks16thapril20152.html

http://www.carlswatson.com/Trains/Galleries%202015/Galleries%20201501/20150107ArlingtonEastleighWorks/eastleighworks7thjanuary20153.html

Does not seem too much to correct, but I won't be ordering until production models are shown, just in-case. Hobby after all, would be nice to have some detailed 66s, but I can equally pay for new teak decks on the yacht....

Screenshot 2019-01-28 at 19.02.08.png

Looks excellent. It would be nice if the early Wipacs had the colour of the lens already painted on so to mimic the prototype lenses as seen in these pictures when the light is off. Easy enough to paint on but as this is the ultimate 66 it would be nice if it was correct out the box! Similarly the second style as per 66621 would look better with white lenses.

Other than that it all looks rather good and I'm wondering how I will choose which one to get first !

I agree, but Hornby could have retooled the Lima model with the new coupling, working directional lights & some nicer handrails etc then they could have been still way cheaper than Bachmann with an acceptable model.

Come on Hornby 'WAKE UP'  bring out a Class 37 to match your Class 56 then your profits will go up.

Charlie

• Like 1

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2019-01-28 at 19.02.08.png

Interesting model vs prototype  picture there  -  I'm looking specifically at the distance between the bottom of the windscreens and the top of the warning panel/handrail   -  anyone else see it???

Jon

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

without being totally anal about minor things but GBRf 66789 doesnt have enough lifting lugs, the chassis looks to be the same on all autocoupler fitted models with a single lifting lug opposite the autocoupler

the real thing retains 4 lifting lugs both ends

• Like 2

Doesn't the original wi-pac light cluster look overscale? 

They do look to be too chunky -  likewise the top headlight sticks out too far . One thing thats become obvious seeing these painted samples is the 'roots'  that the light clusters sit on (the vertical bits with the numbers , and , in the case of the EWS locos, the OHLE warning flashes on) are not tall enough - suggesting they're either not thick enough , or the negative rake of the lower cab front is wrong   -  i think it may be the former , and therefore the wipacs have been made chunkier to compensate.

Saying all that , show me one in CEMEX or early Bardon Aggregates livery and I'd get the wallet out! 

Jon

Edited by 43179

i hope the later variation side windows (as on 301 and 727) are made a bit finer, they look just 'wrong' from the angle of the photos

cant put my finger on the front section looking too big or the rear section looking too small but the internal bit between them seems to exaggerate the thickness of the complete glazing unit 

Agreed.  Difficult to tell from the angle of the photos, and although these style of window-frames do appear quite chunky on the prototype I too think something is just a little too heavy-looking here - either the thickness of the frame in general or/and the vertical central pillar; or the rear/inner-most pane is too recessed in relation to the front/outer-most pane, or perhaps a bit of both?  It doesn't help either that the frames have been moulded as part of the bodyshell as opposed to the one-piece glazing units of Bachmann's model, which unfortunately means there is a significant 'fishbowl' effect on the cabside glazing of the Hatton's windows compared with Bachmann's efforts.

post-5822-0-33231400-1548724604_thumb.jpg

Additionally, on the design incorporating the original window frames and the shape of the small black-surround cabside window pane still doesn't look as though it has been altered from the first sample?  On a positive note, the silver frames do look a lot better on the earlier frame type now that they have been painted silver...

post-5822-0-21118800-1548720045_thumb.jpg

As mentioned much earlier in this topic, I do believe that Bachmann have the glazing absolutely spot-on with their one-piece, virtually flush-glazed window assemblies.  Really sad to say that the way that Hatton's have executed the windows appears to be a backward step.  Just my viewpoint of course, I understand that others may vary...  ;)

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 1

Agreed. Difficult to tell from the angle of the photos, and although these style of window-frames do appear quite chunky on the prototype I too think something is just a little too heavy-looking here - either the thickness of the frame in general or/and the vertical central pillar; or the rear/inner-most pane is too recessed in relation to the front/outer-most pane, or perhaps a bit of both? It doesn't help either that the frames have been moulded as part of the bodyshell as opposed to the one-piece glazing units of Bachmann's model, which unfortunately means there is a slight 'fishbowl' effect on the cabside glazing of the Hatton's windows.

Additionally, on the design incorporating the original window frames and the shape of the small black-surround cabside window pane still doesn't look as though it has been altered from the first sample? On a positive note, the silver frames do look a lot better on the earlier frame type now that they have been painted silver...

66502 FLb.jpg

As mentioned much earlier in this topic, I do believe that Bachmann have the glazing absolutely spot-on with their one-piece, virtually flush-glazed window assemblies. Really sad to say that the way that Hatton's have executed the windows appears to be a backward step. Just my viewpoint of course, I understand that others may vary... ;)

Hopefully this will be less noticeable in the flesh and it’s just the close up shots that give it that slightly off effect

Edited by Br60066

There is something not quite right about the EWS liveried examples...  firstly the font used for the bodyside EWS is not quite heavy enough, and also the positioning of the gold band appears very, very slightly too low...

And while not livery-related but applies to all the early examples and the aforementioned 'chunky' WIPACs appear far more obvious on the black-painted examples...

post-5822-0-82978600-1548722085_thumb.jpg

Check height of gold band from cantrail level...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/f_stop13/16294797305/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/antonov225/40338293071/

That said, viewing your side-on shots and the height/width of the gold band appears to be about right?  Maybe it's the angled shot above that gives the wrong illusion?  Hard to say from where I am sitting, but maybe worth a look...?

post-5822-0-94272300-1548727867_thumb.jpg

And secondly, I realize that these are perhaps hand-finished samples, but so many manufacturers seem to get into a pickle with factory-fitted nameplates.  It would be so much nicer if plates could be supplied separately in a bag...   :)

The cabside mirrors do look quite nice though, although the oversized WIPACs really do seem quite apparent here...  or perhaps they look better when viewing lifesize, difficult to be certain...

post-5822-0-13234300-1548722404_thumb.jpg

Edited by YesTor