Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

On 16/02/2019 at 20:19, The Ghost of IKB said:

...just remember that by the time it's running on second radius code 100 narrow gauge track using tension locks to pull it's under length train, the size of the light clusters will be the last thing you need to worry about. 

I say this light-heartedly, but the Hornby 'shed' is just across the aisle, sir.   ;)          :lol: 

Worth highlighting too perhaps is that it was Hatton's themselves who declared, "We want to produce the definitive modern era OO gauge loco".

Incidentally, I wonder when the Freightliner 'Powerhaul' samples will be visible...

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning everyone,

Following delivery of the decorated samples, our Class 66s have been reviewed and corrections have been submitted to the factory.  

Even though there are very few things to change, it will impact the release date of the models and the new expected delivery will be in August.

You will be able to view all of the complete samples we have at Model Rail Scotland, as well as talk to myself and other members of the team in Glasgow this weekend.
Once we're back from the show all samples will once again be on public display in our store for anyone that is in the area.

All versions are still available to order on THIS page of our site.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, Hattons Dave said:

Good Morning everyone,

Following delivery of the decorated samples, our Class 66s have been reviewed and corrections have been submitted to the factory.  

Even though there are very few things to change, it will impact the release date of the models and the new expected delivery will be in August.

You will be able to view all of the complete samples we have at Model Rail Scotland, as well as talk to myself and other members of the team in Glasgow this weekend.
Once we're back from the show all samples will once again be on public display in our store for anyone that is in the area.

Cheers,

Dave

Great customer service and listening skills whether from here or other sources, absolutely don't mind if these are delayed in order to get the best detailed product to the customer...well done Hatton's.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

It's good to hear a manufacturer being upfront and honest about when they expect the models to be delivered. Even when these are delivered in August it's still only a little more than a year since they were announced. Which is pretty good when compared to other manufacturers. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hattons Dave said:

Good Morning everyone,

Cheers,

Dave

Thank you Dave for the update regarding the Class 66s. 

From my perspective, the delay does seem reassuring that you and others are doing everything possible to ensure that the appropriate corrections are made to the models before production. I am very satisfied with this as the alternative could have been to rush them through production and have many models delivered with inaccuracies. 

Please could you clarify a few things Dave? 

1. GBRf 66740 is described as been produced with it's nameplates "Sarah" on your website, although the current decorated sample images do not show any nameplates fitted. Please can you confirm that this has been noted and that 66740 will duly arrive with nameplates fitted?

2. I am not satisfied that the Colas orange on 66847 & 66848 is correct. When comparing to the locos in reality the orange seems too dark and thus not bright enough. It seems very close to been correct but it just doesn't sit right upon close examination of the decorated sample photos. If in fact the current orange on the current decorated samples as displayed on the images on your website are correct then I am more than happy to be corrected. Although now we know that the models are going to be delayed it again seems logical to make as many corrections and amendments with regards to liveries, colours etc as possible within the time frame that their is before production. Also I wish to buy both of the Colas 66s, but if the orange is not correct and thus they will not arrive corrected then I begrudge spending £300 on two models with inaccuracies in relation to the colours. I trust that you will understand my position on this point. 

3. As yet we haven't seen decorated samples of the Freightliner Powerhaul liveried models namely 66418, 66504 and 66528, GBRf 66705 & DRS 66433. Please could you confirm when these will be available to view either on here or via your website on the product pages? 

4. Now that the factory have been made aware of the necessary changes, please could you confirm when we will see the second livery samples of each model? I ask this so that I can examine the photos closely in order to be fully satisfied that the models are correct before I commit to buying. 

Thank you very much in advance. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Thank you Dave for the update regarding the Class 66s. 

From my perspective, the delay does seem reassuring that you and others are doing everything possible to ensure that the appropriate corrections are made to the models before production. I am very satisfied with this as the alternative could have been to rush them through production and have many models delivered with inaccuracies. 

Please could you clarify a few things Dave? 

1. GBRf 66740 is described as been produced with it's nameplates "Sarah" on your website, although the current decorated sample images do not show any nameplates fitted. Please can you confirm that this has been noted and that 66740 will duly arrive with nameplates fitted?

2. I am not satisfied that the Colas orange on 66847 & 66848 is correct. When comparing to the locos in reality the orange seems too dark and thus not bright enough. It seems very close to been correct but it just doesn't sit right upon close examination of the decorated sample photos. If in fact the current orange on the current decorated samples as displayed on the images on your website are correct then I am more than happy to be corrected. Although now we know that the models are going to be delayed it again seems logical to make as many corrections and amendments with regards to liveries, colours etc as possible within the time frame that their is before production. Also I wish to buy both of the Colas 66s, but if the orange is not correct and thus they will not arrive corrected then I begrudge spending £300 on two models with inaccuracies in relation to the colours. I trust that you will understand my position on this point. 

3. As yet we haven't seen decorated samples of the Freightliner Powerhaul liveried models namely 66418, 66504 and 66528, GBRf 66705 & DRS 66433. Please could you confirm when these will be available to view either on here or via your website on the product pages? 

4. Now that the factory have been made aware of the necessary changes, please could you confirm when we will see the second livery samples of each model? I ask this so that I can examine the photos closely in order to be fully satisfied that the models are correct before I commit to buying. 

Hi DRS Crewe on a Mission,

1. Yes this has been noted and the loco will have the nameplates when delivered.

2. The Colas orange has been taken from the original locos and the callouts on the painting diagrams.  We are still looking to try and improve the colour to make it appear more realistic.

3. We have some bodyshells (no other parts) in the livery sent to check the prints but they have no detailing or chassis.  The 5 livery samples that are missing are still in the factory and will be sent as soon as all of the electrics have been finalised (there are a lot of features to get right on the electrics!)

4. The factory tool room staff are only just returning from Chinese New Year and are still working up to full speed. The printing and painting engineers will send these over as soon as they can.  We will release the revised samples as soon as we can but this depends on how the revised samples come back and if we are happy them.  This means we cannot give an exact date for the revised samples.

23 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Can anyone tell me the physical length of this loco in cm?

Just need to plan some storage :P

Hi Sir TophamHatt,

Length over buffers: 28.3cm

Length over coupling hooks: ~30.3cm

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I would have thought that the name plates will come in a pack and then can be cut and glued on if needed. I hope so, as my 66740 wont be staying that way for long!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi DRS Crewe on a Mission,

1. Yes this has been noted and the loco will have the nameplates when delivered.

2. The Colas orange has been taken from the original locos and the callouts on the painting diagrams.  We are still looking to try and improve the colour to make it appear more realistic.

3. We have some bodyshells (no other parts) in the livery sent to check the prints but they have no detailing or chassis.  The 5 livery samples that are missing are still in the factory and will be sent as soon as all of the electrics have been finalised (there are a lot of features to get right on the electrics!)

4. The factory tool room staff are only just returning from Chinese New Year and are still working up to full speed. The printing and painting engineers will send these over as soon as they can.  We will release the revised samples as soon as we can but this depends on how the revised samples come back and if we are happy them.  This means we cannot give an exact date for the revised samples.

Hi Sir TophamHatt,

Length over buffers: 28.3cm

Length over coupling hooks: ~30.3cm

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

30 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

I would have thought that the name plates will come in a pack and then can be cut and glued on if needed. I hope so, as my 66740 wont be staying that way for long!

Dave

Hi Dave, 

Thank you for the reply, it's very much appreciated. 

Just thought that I would let you know regarding 66740, in case it had slipped through the net. Hopefully the Colas orange can be improved on, to make it more accurate. I am looking forward to seeing further samples of the models in due course and I understand that you cannot give an exact date. 

Thanks again for the reply and for keeping us updated. 

Black Hat I am sure that Dave has said previously that the nameplates will be fitted to any locos that have them. I may be wrong and I am happy to be corrected though. 

• Like 1

Just running this past people, but have been onto Hattons website and looked at pics of 66740. Not sure if its the lighting of where photograph was taken, but is the GBRf orange a little dark? Almost looks like gold.

I know GBRf might not have helped sometimes as the orange hasn't always been uniform, but looking at photographs which show it orange in dull and sometimes near yellow in bright sun just makes me think to ask others and check.

• RMweb Premium

Colour is often a subjective thing, what appears too bright to one person may appear normal or dark to others. It has been said many times before but is worth repeating; how a colour appears is affected by a number of things, the photograph and how it was exposed/processed, the ambient light, the reflected light, and our colour perception etc etc. I am pretty sure however we interpret the colour the loco will be fine

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, 7013 said:

Colour is often a subjective thing, what appears too bright to one person may appear normal or dark to others. It has been said many times before but is worth repeating; how a colour appears is affected by a number of things, the photograph and how it was exposed/processed, the ambient light, the reflected light, and our colour perception etc etc. I am pretty sure however we interpret the colour the loco will be fine

And of course the equipment you use to look at it.

In the professional print business they need to calibrate their scanner, printer and monitors to ensure that the colour they scan is the colour they see on the screen, and is the colour that will be sent to the printers.

I have 2 monitors connected to my PC, both Dell. If I drag an image across the two it's very clear the difference in colour. White on one is a light cream on the other. Doesn't affect me for my day-to-day work, but if I'm using Photoshop then I need to be careful not to alter a colour just because it looks wrong on my screen. The Colas livery will look very different across the various screens used to visit RMWeb. If you need fidelity, then look here:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, 7013 said:

I agree with what you are saying having recently learned that individuals perceive colours differently. Although I am aware that it isn't just me who has noticed that the Colas orange doesn't look correct, so this makes me think that several people can't be wrong. As well as comparing the Hattons models to the real life locos I have also compared the Hattons models to the Bachmann 66846 and the Bachmann orange is definitely correct when compared to Hattons orange. The Hattons orange isn't far off it just needs to be a bit brighter thus making it less dull. 

I am also aware that the Colas orange does seem challenging to replicate. Bachmann have it spot on with their models of 37099, 37421, 37521, 47727 and 70805. Although the Hornby Colas orange is too dark and incorrect on 56087, 56094, 60087 and 67027. Hopefully Hattons can follow suit with Bachmann and get it spot on. 

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, 7013 said:

True but then I did mention the lighting in which the photograph Hattons have used would be one for them to check and confirm. To be honest the photo looks quite dark and so the model could be lighter. That said the orange for the GB looks very dark by comparison with the prototype and as a result I still think should be checked.

As I also mentioned the colour between GBRf liveries has changed over time and the fleer has not always been uniform. I think Hattons have used the orange form the first GBRf livery throughout. Here photos show the difference between the sandy/yellow 'orange' of GBRF, which can be noticed given how less clearly the yellow warning panel stands out, compared with the model. Irronically enough 66740 in the pic has got a headlight off another 66 with the previous orange front to also show the difference.

41725418655_bfa85a2fa8_b.jpg.04e2c7b2c451987475f8c6810ea349c9.jpgH4-66-026-D_3398630_Qty1_1.jpg

Edited by The Black Hat
Photos and details added.
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

True but then I did mention the lighting in which the photograph Hattons have used would be one for them to check and confirm. To be honest the photo looks quite dark and so the model could be lighter. That said the orange for the GB looks very dark by comparison with the prototype and as a result I still think should be checked.

As I also mentioned the colour between GBRf liveries has changed over time and the fleer has not always been uniform. I think Hattons have used the orange form the first GBRf livery throughout. Here photos show the difference between the sandy/yellow 'orange' of GBRF, which can be noticed given how less clearly the yellow warning panel stands out, compared with the model. Irronically enough 66740 in the pic has got a headlight off another 66 with the previous orange front to also show the difference.

41725418655_bfa85a2fa8_b.jpg.04e2c7b2c451987475f8c6810ea349c9.jpgH4-66-026-D_3398630_Qty1_1.jpg

Funny you should post another comment regarding the GBRF orange. I was just researching the loco on Flickr and as you have posted with the above images, the loco in reality is significantly different to the Hattons model. As you mention the yellow warning on the cab ends of the loco can barely be differentiated with the GBRF orange on the loco in reality. Whereas on the Hattons model their is clearly difference in the two types of orange used. 

I agree with Black Hat that the GBRF and the types of orange used on the livery itself and warning yellow needs to be checked and amended as it looks inaccurate. 

Can you look at this please Dave?

Its like I said. I think Hattons have gone with GBRf orange for the first GBRf model and then continued with it. Some GBRf orange used has changed pending on who painted the fleet and when. Some of them have various differences between the 'orange' that was used, which eventually has evolved into a sandy yellow not too dissimilar from the hazard yellow used anyway.

As you can see the photo of 66740 one light has the orange that previously was the standard livery and thus the difference is quite noticeable.

To my eyes at least on the real 66740 there is no yellow panel as such, it just looks a continuation of the orange which I would say matches the model almost exactly. To me it's the yellow panel on the from of the model which looks odd. As for the headlight on the real one that looks a completely different orange altogether. I'm only using the two pics above for comparison, I haven't examined any other pics. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Midnight-Freight said:

To my eyes at least on the real 66740 there is no yellow panel as such, it just looks a continuation of the orange which I would say matches the model almost exactly. To me it's the yellow panel on the from of the model which looks odd. As for the headlight on the real one that looks a completely different orange altogether. I'm only using the two pics above for comparison, I haven't examined any other pics. 

There is definitely a yellow panel - take a look at this head-on shot (not my photo) : 66740

Subtle, but it is there.

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Just running this past people, but have been onto Hattons website and looked at pics of 66740. Not sure if its the lighting of where photograph was taken, but is the GBRf orange a little dark? Almost looks like gold.

I know GBRf might not have helped sometimes as the orange hasn't always been uniform, but looking at photographs which show it orange in dull and sometimes near yellow in bright sun just makes me think to ask others and check.

Here is the first of the class 66701 in original livery next to ex Europorte livery 66752, you can clearly see the difference in orange applied to both 

4D4AE5DE-D442-4261-9354-5C399DD263CB.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Without wanting to sound like a class 66 paint nerd, did 66701 not get a repaint same time as others were painted into Europort livery here in UK. Other new ones came over from North America with darker, original orange as they were painted from new, where as repaints in UK got the more yellow shade, including 66740 which was bought from another FOC. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Without wanting to sound like a class 66 paint nerd, did 66701 not get a repaint same time as others were painted into Europort livery here in UK. Other new ones came over from North America with darker, original orange as they were painted from new, where as repaints in UK got the more yellow shade, including 66740 which was bought from another FOC. 

Spot on. 66701 was repainted at Eastleigh Arlington in December 2015/January 2016. It kept a similar livery to what it originally carried, just with a different shade of orange to the cab ends, the large GBRf lettering on the bodysides and small Europort lettering and logos on the cabs. There was no large Europort "curves" added to the bodysides unlike the others that were repainted. It was said at the time by GBRf that they wanted to keep the loco as original as possible, thus the repaint and differences were minimal. 

Again notice the difference in GBRf oranges and yellows. Before been repainted the yellow warning seems non existent although even from a distance after a repaint the difference between GBRf orange and yellow warning on the cab fronts is noticeable. I attach a couple of images to show what I mean. Neither are my images. 

Before: https://www.flickr.com/photos/neildowning/14812563203/in/photolist-

After: https://www.flickr.com/photos/124193440@N06/24481092221/in/photolist-