Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, adb968008 said:

The first time ive seen someone referring to the demise of the red death as sad times.

To me the spread of Red Death was sad times... every ship load of red 66’s sent 08/20/31/33/37/47/56/58/60 to their makers, or at least Springs Branch, Toton etc.. that was sad times...Hundreds of locos stored to rot for a decade or more, just to restrict access to competition.

That said the 66 is the only attempt at a standardised railway since the dieselation plan of the 1960’s (which was as much by mass build and wasteful attrition than design). The 66 is the backbone of UK freight. Sadly since then weve slipped even further into our bespoke, niche custom built railway fleets even more so than it was in the 19th century where simply taking an DMU from one side of London to the other would render it completely unusable.

I know, it must sound crazy! To me as a young teenager in the very late 90s, the EWS ‘66s’ left a big impression; they were amazing, new and representing a bold, shiny Millennium future, I’d be seeing them gleaming just mere days or weeks after being unloaded from the ship often before even reading about them in the magazines, I guess the same as my predecessors must’ve felt about the radical new BR Green diesels...and presumably a bit like a youngster today must feel seeing a shiny new ‘68’ (pah, too new for me!) haha!

I’ll be sure to be getting a quite a few of the original Hattons EWS 66/0s :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, James Makin said:

I know, it must sound crazy! To me as a young teenager in the very late 90s, the EWS ‘66s’ left a big impression; they were amazing, new and representing a bold, shiny Millennium future, I’d be seeing them gleaming just mere days or weeks after being unloaded from the ship often before even reading about them in the magazines, I guess the same as my predecessors must’ve felt about the radical new BR Green diesels...and presumably a bit like a youngster today must feel seeing a shiny new ‘68’ (pah, too new for me!) haha!

I’ll be sure to be getting a quite a few of the original Hattons EWS 66/0s :)

I relate to it, in 2002 I was sent on assignment to London Ontario, and at that time I couldnt resist a little visit to the GM factory,.. I saw the best part of a dozen 66’s somewhere between undercoat and canvas wrapped ready to ship... though these were Freightliner ones by this time...

what was impressive, was how small they were, compared to the switcher shunting them ! (I’ll try to find a few pictures)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Not forgetting as burkhardt found out , he had inherited a lot of poor poor locos....I’m glad they invested , the real shame is the total standardisation these days. Back then we thought the 56/58/60 etc would soldier on alongside the sheds...

hattons must be cursed, first 005 repainted maritime and now another of their subjects 088 has had a spectacular engine failure and won’t be running again any time soon 

Still not sure if it’s a good idea to have nameplates fitted at the factory. I’d personally prefer them to come in a packet within the loco box. Eliminates either wonky plates or excess glue spilling out from the edge of the plate (or worse both!) Plus, for me, makes life a little easier for a renumber without the worry of removing the nameplate and either leaving glue behind or damaging the paintwork.

• Agree 3

66005 has just been repainted, but then the EWS livery is good for a 21  year window, a lot longer than a lot of BR liveries were carried!

It must be difficult modelling right up to the minute very current day stuff and keeping up with the changes

Jo

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/04/2019 at 22:51, rob D2 said:

hattons must be cursed, first 005 repainted maritime and now another of their subjects 088 has had a spectacular engine failure and won’t be running again any time soon 

Source please ?

Does it really matter that the locos Hattons is modelling either no longer bear the livery being modelled or now have an open roof?

It's almost impossible to provide a set of models that are all bang up to date in livery terms as the world is ever changing.

Of course, for the manufacturer is it manna from heaven as it means a constant source of model re-runs with new liveries.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Does it really matter that the locos Hattons is modelling either no longer bear the livery being modelled or now have an open roof?

It's almost impossible to provide a set of models that are all bang up to date in livery terms as the world is ever changing.

Of course, for the manufacturer is it manna from heaven as it means a constant source of model re-runs with new liveries.

Maybe, but if you are talking EWS livery there are plenty of others that haven’t gone blue or blown up.

But does it matter that today 66005 is blue and a couple of months back it was in EWS?

I might like a model of 24001 in BR Blue - it doesn't exist that form right now but why shouldn't someone produce that model

Edited by woodenhead
grammar
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

I would be more interested in finding out if they will ever produce the GBRF Class 66 Evening Star?

So far, Hattons policy of 66s is not to duplicate any livery/number combinations of the previous releases by Lima/Bachmann/Hornby.

Although Hornby and Bachmann have duplicated Hattons proposed releases.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, james-htfc said:

Yeah, I'm a bit confused by 'oh such and such doesn't look like that now' – rendering it redundant(?). It existed at some point in that colour scheme so is suitable for someone's layout. 

All of this 'it was only in that livery for 30 days' business makes prototypic and concurrent '30s SR liveries seem like a walk in the park.

2 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

I would be more interested in finding out if they will ever produce the GBRF Class 66 Evening Star?

Even I would be interested in that, as a stable mate for my Baccy 9F :)

Didn't NRM have one at one point?

On 14/04/2019 at 22:33, Shoey said:

Still not sure if it’s a good idea to have nameplates fitted at the factory. I’d personally prefer them to come in a packet within the loco box. Eliminates either wonky plates or excess glue spilling out from the edge of the plate (or worse both!) Plus, for me, makes life a little easier for a renumber without the worry of removing the nameplate and either leaving glue behind or damaging the paintwork.

Totally agree, but Dave sounded adamant that named examples would have factory-fitted plates.  Personally I think that's a bit of a blunder.  Not only the potential for crooked plates or/and visible glue splodges, but there's also the quality of the plate in the first place to consider - eg. line up Dapol's own nameplates for their 68s against a Shawplan plate and there's no competition, as sadly the Dapol plates are/were a total dog's dinner by comparison.  Not necessarily suggesting that Hatton's plates will be similar, but the proof of the pudding etc...

Agree too on the renumbering potential being quashed being a bad thing.  So sadly for me the 'named' examples are off my shopping list for the time being.

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Have a look at Adrian Nicholls Flickr feed. Blew up on a container train from Liverpool to mossend.

This one...

66 187 & 66 088 at Penrith (image no.5 on my never ending day).

reading the blurb, I doubt its finished, or that its future would be uncertain, i’m very sure it wont get scrapped.

A class 66 is fully vendor supported, spares are common. There is an expected rise in market demand, and no easy supply  of diesels once HS2 construction starts and as a Western is currently getting a new block, I doubt its a problem for a class 66, if it is indeed that bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wild Boar Fell said:

There are a series of them painted in the same livery. Maritime One, Maritime Two & Maritime Three

I saw 66005 at Eastleigh today. Very striking livery. Not sure what the "One" refers to on the nameplate. Or rather below the main plate.

John

1 hour ago, Wild Boar Fell said:

There are a series of them painted in the same livery. Maritime One, Maritime Two & Maritime Three

Ok. Thank you.

John

3 hours ago, Wild Boar Fell said:

I smell a pattern...  it's great to see that the power of imaginative thinking is well and truly alive and kicking...  :blink:      <_<

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

I'm compiling my wish-list for the fourth batch already.  By June I hope to be able to buy all 6,344 of the class as built and in every alternative livery they've each worn....

Meanwhile, surely I can't be the only one to notice how Maritime is an anagram of I Marmite.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6