Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

A quick visit to Eastleigh this afternoon netted both One and Three. (Plus Evening Star on the gypsum...)

Lucky Freightliner didn't adopt this naming policy on their 57s. We could have had "Freightliner Bodysnatcher One" through to Twelve...

Still, a very nice livery, I am however planning to buy 66005 in bog standard EWS. For most of its life an anonymous unnamed workhorse.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

If Hattons want to get ahead of Hornby, a new livery appeared in Teesside. 66109 in PD Ports livery.  Sorry about the image, camera phone in the rain.

IMG_20190426_181427.jpg.a715bbabfcbaf06e9ca620a58939830f.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

A bit clearer this morning but locked in by other locos.

66109.jpg.8badf96238001f0f64b995d71cb1675a.jpg

Edited by Coach bogie
added image
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Duple said:

Popped into Hattons on Saturday and they had decorated samples on display, not sure how "far along" these are but the "EWS" lettering appears to be the wrong font ?

IMG_20190427_123811.jpg

Thank you for posting the photo. It's nice to see clearly the detailed cab interior. 

15 minutes ago, paulbb said:

yes you are right, and it looks wrong too compared to the numerals; has anyone told Hattons?? could be a dealbreaker for me...

The EWS lettering amongst other things have been mentioned previously on this thread and Hattons are aware of the errors and have assured us that they will be corrected. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Representing the current scene, you'll never win...

Just like releasing a EWS livery version and then finding it's been repainted in Maritime blue......

Cheers,

Mick

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I have noticed a few changes to the real life locos of which Hattons are producing. FL 66502 now has the new Freightliner logos on the cab ends, FL 66513 now has new LED light clusters and new Freightliner logos on the cab ends and 66847 has been named Terry Baker. 

Just to clarify this is not me suggesting that I want to see every change to these locos replicated on the Hattons models, I just find it interesting that so many things can change with modern locos in less than a year from the announcement of the new Hattons 66s. 

With regards to the recent DB repaints into blue (005, 047, 109 & 142) really the fact that Hattons have announced 005 in original EWS livery shouldn't cause anyone any problems, because for the people who want the loco as originally produced then the Hattons 005 model it suitable and for the people who like to be up to date Hattons may announce either 047 or 142, or maybe even both in the future, both of which wear the same livery as 005 does.

If I was to decide to get any of the Hattons 66s then I would probably leave 005 and wait to see if Hattons announce 047 or 142 in the same blue Maritime livery, so that I could model right up to date. Then again 005 has worn EWS livery for many years up until March 2019, so one could argue that the EWS livery is still current on 005 even though it has now been repainted, because it was repainted only recently. I suppose it's personal preference as to how people wish to model and what individuals perceive as "current". 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Just like releasing a EWS livery version and then finding it's been repainted in Maritime blue......

Cheers,

Mick

I hope no-one following the current scene is modelling EWS (DB) liveried 66051 as its the next "code blue"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, beast66606 said:

I hope no-one following the current scene is modelling EWS (DB) liveried 66051 as its the next "code blue"

I have enough trouble keeping up with different shades of yellow, never mind red to blue!

cheers,

Mick

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

1 hour ago, 159220 said:

Oh dear Hatton's... 66783 has had it's toughened side windows fitted as part of the long time GB Railfreight standardisation programme. So what 'Biffa' are you doing. One that lasted several months or post mod. for several years? 

(66789 also expected to receive the mods shortly)

I'm not sure if Hatton's tooling allows for the older-bodied variant with the later-styled windows?  Although maybe it's something that they have designed to be easily interchangeable within the tooling? 

Anyway, aren't they still waiting for second livery samples, in which case I'd imagine that production is yet to start, so maybe it's not too late?  :)  I must admit, I'd much rather take home a modified version...  and that would apply to 66789 also...  :)

Edited by YesTor

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Cheers,

Mick

How very true, Mick.  Moreover, as seen, that 66 has been patch-painted, which surely will last for a matter of days or weeks, and anyone wishing to represent it in that state can presumably customise their RTR with a quick flick of grey paint, or am I missing something? I'd regard these interim appearances as almost like graffiti or weathering.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

or am I missing something?

Yes, because that way you would simply be customising the old windows with paint.  Different windows.  Naturally the prototype will only last with undercoat showing for a short while, but I think what we are saying is that people will likely prefer a model with the newer windows and of course full livery (as the prototype will no doubt imminently have its top coat touched-up with the suitable livery element).  Not to say that modelling a prototype in the intermediate stages of modification wouldn't be interesting, it would, however one would still require a model with the updated windows to begin with.  ;)

Edited by YesTor

1 hour ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I have noticed a few changes to the real life locos of which Hattons are producing. FL 66502 now has the new Freightliner logos on the cab ends, FL 66513 now has new LED light clusters and new Freightliner logos on the cab ends and 66847 has been named Terry Baker. 

All these small details can easily be replicated...by doing some modelling.

I don’t think Hattons have tooled for the new "bug eye" lights, which are becoming increasingly common. Even more scope for modifications to be done to represent the current scene!

Windows are clearly a different matter though, but could be changed easily if the glazing mouldings are interchangeable as on the B*chmann model. I wonder whether Hattons will stock/have access to spares as Accurascale have done with their buffers. That way everyone could be happy because you’d just need to swap the window mouldings.

But again, that would require the consumer to do work...

Jack.

Edited by Jack374
More to be said
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

We can't have that though - can we?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

Windows are clearly a different matter though, but could be changed easily if the glazing mouldings are interchangeable as on the B*chmann model.

They aren't, the frames are moulded as part of the body on the Hatton's model, which I've always thought was a bit silly to be honest, but hey...  :rolleyes:

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jack374 said:

All these small details can easily be replicated...by doing some modelling.

I don’t think Hattons have tooled for the new "bug eye" lights, which are becoming increasingly common. Even more scope for modifications to be done to represent the current scene!

Windows are clearly a different matter though, but could be changed easily if the glazing mouldings are interchangeable as on the B*chmann model. I wonder whether Hattons will stock/have access to spares as Accurascale have done with their buffers. That way everyone could be happy because you’d just need to swap the window mouldings.

Jack.

42 minutes ago, newbryford said:

We can't have that though - can we?

The changes on the 66s interest me and I do try and follow the changes but I'm not that interested in making changes on models. 

I have renumbered some DRS 37/4s to create some additional DRS locos previously but as for 66s I prefer the original Freightliner logos as opposed to the new ones and if I was to buy 847 I could add the nameplates. Again I suppose it's individual preference as to the smaller and finer details on models. Some like to be as up to date as possible and continually make changes to their stock, others like me like to be up date with regards to liveries and the general look of a model but can leave/ignore minor details and changes and others just aren't fussed and will buy models alike EWS 005 regardless of it not been "current" as it has worn that livery with no changes for it's working life so far. 

As you say if you want to be bang up to date making changes yourself is necessary because it's impossible for manufacturers to continually keep up with incorporating these changes when models have been announced/are in production. 

I thought the same with regards to the bug eye lights as per 783 and I think their are some other locos with the same fitment. 

A good idea regarding swopping the window arrangements as that way customers could model 783 & 789 as per 2018 & early 2019 condition and as 2019 and onwards condition. 

• Like 1