Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 7013 said:

This really should not be too much of a problem as the Hattons model will depict a loco at a period in its career. Class 37s and 47s have undergone a myriad of changes both to appearance and tweaks. I suppose it only becomes a problem if the modeller wants the latest incarnation of a particular loco, the great thing for people like me who are not overly concerned if an appearance changes is that when I travel by rail I am likely to see all manner of 66 appearances, however that said I mainly see old EWS and Freightliner vinyled locos.

If a model is "already out there", released in a particular livery and then the prototype gets altered for whatever reason - livery or detail -  then it doesn't raise any issues.

It's just that in Hattons case, a livery has been announced and is being changed before the model is released. (I cite the example of one of the EWS 66s painted into Maritime blue, rather than the rumoured re-livery of 66783).

Hornby had a similar occurrence with the 67 - they announced 67001 in EWS and then the prototype was painted into Arriva blue before the model was released. So I did some - say it quietly - "modelling" and renumbered mine.

For those modelling the current scene - me included - these things happen.  The world won't stop turning.

Cheers,

MIck

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 23 May 2019 at 20:25, newbryford said:

So I did some - say it quietly - "modelling" and renumbered mine.

Interesting.

Surely someone who doesn't want to change RTR stock in any way is also a modeller?

I'm not confident in changing stock / have no desire to do so but I still built the layout.

That's like saying all runners are marathon or sprint standard, because if they're not, they're not true runners :P

Not having a go, just posting where my mind wandered.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Interesting.

Surely someone who doesn't want to change RTR stock in any way is also a modeller?

I'm not confident in changing stock / have no desire to do so but I still built the layout.

That's like saying all runners are marathon or sprint standard, because if they're not, they're not true runners :P

Not having a go, just posting where my mind wandered.

The small font size was possibly a clue that I was trying to have a little fun

Maybe I'll just stick to modelling...…...

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, noticed this on the Kernow Newsletter - relevant here, to show, other manufacturers can get their livery samples right - Hatton's Dave! 

And at £699 i'd hope so!

4028.png 

It's all about using the right yellow panel spec!

I am starting to convince myself, though @Hattons Dave specified Pantone, the factory has either used a close matching RAL or just matched to the printed artwork. Resulting in a gold too dark and a yellow warning panel too light. 

Edited by 159220

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, classy52 said:

A pink 66...quality :good:

My wife likes pink. I wonder if I could use that as an excuse to buy one if Hattons do that livery?

Somehow I imagine that she may not like pink that much.

Roy

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I have looked though the first 10-12 pages or so of this thread, but has anyone enquired as to the ease (or otherwise) of changing the wheel sets to EM/P4 with the Hattons model?

Rich

I saw some samples of the Large Logo 66 and a Freightliner one at the Crewe open day. Detail looked very impressive and the livery application looked fine. Very impressed with both the appearance of the models but also the staff and team there were very pleasant and knowledgeable. Looking forward to following this develop.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Pegleg90 said:

Has there been a sample video of the sound versions yet? know there was a video showing how they did it but don't think I've seen a 'finished' example yet - could be wrong. 

Unlikely.

There are using Legomanbiffo sounds.

I spoke to Biff recently (At RailEx I think) & his prototype was running around their demo track.

He said it was almost complete. He may have been covering his bases in case anything needs to change anything before the final release.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Pegleg90 said:

Has there been a sample video of the sound versions yet? know there was a video showing how they did it but don't think I've seen a 'finished' example yet - could be wrong. 

I think the sound is virtually signed off, as Pete says Bif had a Freightliner example with him at the last couple of shows and he gave me a demo...it’s very impressive! The LokSound V5 has no 'hiss' like V4s and other sound decoders; that background noise you can hear when just quiet sounds are playing like spirax valves. The actual loco is very weighty and the sound vibrated the test track when stationary.

I know it’s not a video and you’ll have to take my word for it but I was very impressed! :senile:

Jack.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Craig85 said:

Was there any updated livery  samples of the class 66 at the GC Event last weekend, or any update to say delivery is still on schedule for August. 

Regards 

Craig 

Must say it has all gone quiet on the Class 66 front, haven't had an email update from Hatton's for a while and info on here is pretty sparse lately...hopefully they are beavering away in the background and then BAM! we have the ultimate 66 with all your concerns dealt with & corrected  :drag:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 20/06/2019 at 07:53, classy52 said:

Must say it has all gone quiet on the Class 66 front, haven't had an email update from Hatton's for a while and info on here is pretty sparse lately...hopefully they are beavering away in the background and then BAM! we have the ultimate 66 with all your concerns dealt with & corrected  :drag:

Pretty much all the Hattons releases have had periods of silence. I think they take the approach of if there isn’t something to say, don’t say it. I’m all for that.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 07:53, classy52 said:

Why don't you try their chat line if you are suffering anxiety pangs ?:help:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I was rather impressed by the 66’s in the cases at Glasgow when I was chatting to one of Hattons Dave.

I was lucky on Sunday to get a close up look at Bifs sound fitted sample and listen to it on the DCkits stand at Perth. Bifs 66 sounds were already by far the best on the market and I do have a few special versions for use on Rannoch. This new model with the big base speaker and new sound file is simply outstanding and has made my mind up to get at least a couple of sound fitted examples for the layout!

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 1