Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Thanks for posting the reply. I really appreciate it. It's good to know that for those who wish to have the loco/s sooner then they can still opt for this option. I might still wait and see what additional loco/s arrive in December with the main batch, thus I won't buy any for the earlier air freight delivery. Which of the 66s were you interested in? Their are three Freightliner examples that interest me but I wouldn't be able to afford to buy those three, plus any new additional models that interest me when the main batch arrives in December. 

You're welcome.

I'm interested in GBRf 'Sarah' and the BR large logo one.  If they are good I'll consider getting a Freightliner one to replace my Bachmann version.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Red Fox said:

You're welcome.

I'm interested in GBRf 'Sarah' and the BR large logo one.  If they are good I'll consider getting a Freightliner one to replace my Bachmann version.

Have to say the large loco 66 did interest me but I have decided against it because all my other GBRf 66s are Bachmann and if running together I think they would look a bit odd next to the super detailed Hattons version. So I may opt for the Bachmann version of that one in Summer 2020 when released. I was going to sell my four Bachmann Freightliner versions but the sale prices on Ebay are very low at the moment, especially by the time you take off Ebay fees, Paypal fees and postage. It's not worth selling them so I have decided to keep all four and I may add some Hattons versions alongside them, even though I would then technically be doing what I didn't want to do as mentioned above with GBRf 66s. Haha the joys of been a modeller/collector. It's all change. 

The GBRf Sarah model does look excellent. I was viewing that one on the Hattons website myself and this particular livery works really well on the 66. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Have to say the large loco 66 did interest me but I have decided against it because all my other GBRf 66s are Bachmann and if running together I think they would look a bit odd next to the super detailed Hattons version. So I may opt for the Bachmann version of that one in Summer 2020 when released. I was going to sell my four Bachmann Freightliner versions but the sale prices on Ebay are very low at the moment, especially by the time you take off Ebay fees, Paypal fees and postage. It's not worth selling them so I have decided to keep all four and I may add some Hattons versions alongside them, even though I would then technically be doing what I didn't want to do as mentioned above with GBRf 66s. Haha the joys of been a modeller/collector. It's all change. 

The GBRf Sarah model does look excellent. I was viewing that one on the Hattons website myself and this particular livery works really well on the 66. 

Ive got to admit ive benefitted of that..

i sold my Lima 66’s (yes remember them) in 2017 at circa £50 a piece thinking it was out if my era.

Then on the Hattons announcement the Bachmann ones were suddenly everywhere, and ive picked up a bunch, between £60-80.. at those prices I dont understand why the Hornby ones did as well as they have ( maybe it was the perception of a bargain against £160), but they did, though suspect their 2nd hand value will decline quickly.

ive 2 Hattons ones on order.. large logo blue.. its always going to be an odd one out, so it may as well stand out, and 66097 just because... others may well follow as time goes on however.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Ive got to admit ive benefitted of that..

i sold my Lima 66’s (yes remember them) in 2017 at circa £50 a piece thinking it was out if my era.

Then on the Hattons announcement the Bachmann ones were suddenly everywhere, and ive picked up a bunch, between £60-80.. at those prices I dont understand why the Hornby ones did as well as they have ( maybe it was the perception of a bargain against £160), but they did, though suspect their 2nd hand value will decline quickly.

ive 2 Hattons ones on order.. large logo blue.. its always going to be an odd one out, so it may as well stand out, and 66097 just because... others may well follow as time goes on however.

I know what you mean. I was considering buying some additional Bachmann 66s but I already have quite a few and I will probably buy more in the future, so I decided to save the money I had for some newly tooled models, whether it be Hattons 66s or other models. I was fortunate with the Bachmann 66s I last sold on Ebay in 2018 because this was just before the Hattons announcement so I was getting around £120 per model. 

I'm not sure yet which of the Hattons models I may buy. The Freightliner versions, especially in the original livery are tempting but I'm going to wait until the additional models arrive in December, before buying any because knowing me I will buy the Freightliner models I like but then run out of money for any further models. I guess when 32+ models are announced and delivered in one batch it's just the case of buying the models you want the most, especially at £150 each. It's a very good price, especially in the current market but realistically if I was to buy some 66s I wouldn't be able to afford more than three/four with them arriving altogether as one batch. 

Personally it would be nice if Hattons announced Freightliner ONE 66587 in Pink, 66415 or 66419 in the new darker G&W Freightliner orange livery and a couple of 66s in DB Maritime Blue. That would be my wishlist for the additional models. 

2 hours ago, truffy said:

I'm looking at a GBRf/First, simply because it's pretty and I'm shallow.

But I think I'll wait for the reviews.

Have to say the GBRf Barbie is a nice and a unique livery. A bit like the Freightliner ONE 66587 in Pink really. Yes I think I will wait and see what reviews their are by Hattons themselves, other model shops and other customers before I buy, as I do with most models now. For me I don't really need anymore 66s but I may change my mind and decide to buy some. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/10/2019 at 19:06, Red Fox said:

Email from Hattons says:-

There is a deadline as to when we can offer the Airfreight option but at the moment this date has not been confirmed. We will advise customers before the deadline is coming up but you do still have a couple of weeks minimum as to when that will be.

Thanks for this update. I have the SLS named one on order and was about to ask the same question of Hattons  as it will be featured in the Journal on arrival. No point holding back the Nov/Dec edition from the printers, will add that to the Jan/Feb edition run list.

Edited by john new
Spelling error corrected.

On 04/09/2019 at 14:13, mevaman1 said:

Hi Guys

A number of you seem grumpy about a donation from sales of one model (of many) being donated to the charity for which the particular loco was named. This has been a practice of many model manufacturers over several years and has led to

increased sales.  Service charities in particular have benefited.

I am sorry but I am sad about your responses.

Andrew

The problem with all charities is, by the time the Chairman, CEO, Office staff, cleaners and other hanger oner's are paid. very little ends up with the person most needing it.  For every £1 donated to some charities, less than 5 pence actually went to the victim.  I will never donate to charities.  A Ex-Soldier...

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, james26 said:

The problem with all charities is, by the time the Chairman, CEO, Office staff, cleaners and other hanger oner's are paid. very little ends up with the person most needing it.  For every £1 donated to some charities, less than 5 pence actually went to the victim.  I will never donate to charities.  A Ex-Soldier...

Sadly this may be true of most charities, and the tag line “all your donation goes to the charity” is no guarantee of how it will be used. I work for a charity and am paid, I would in mitigation say that without paid staff the charity would collapse even though it has many thousands of great volunteers. As a paid person I try to ensure that I give good value for money. I do donate to other charities and accept that there are admin costs. In the case of this Class 66 even if a charitable donation is made there will be admin costs. I believe it is up to the individual whether they donate to a charity or not and we should not be telling others what to do regarding donations. I hope we can leave this topic here now and get on with what the thread is about I.e. the Class 66.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Have to say it has been really quiet on the Hattons 66 front. 

It does make me wonder though as to if the main batch will arrive in December as planned or if it will be January 2020 now, considering that no one appears to have received their air freight delivery as of yet and their has been no updates from Hattons saying that the air freight orders have been shipped/arrived either. 

Hopefully we will hear something soon. 

• RMweb Premium

This may have been covered already but was wondering if these are one off production batches or will they always be kept in stock? I plan on getting 2 or 3 but at the moments funds don’t allow it. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

This may have been covered already but was wondering if these are one off production batches or will they always be kept in stock? I plan on getting 2 or 3 but at the moments funds don’t allow it. 

From what I can gather this production run is a one off at the moment. A future batch was mentioned by Hattons on one occasion I believe but a few weeks ago Hattons announced that additional models will be added to the first batch. I assume this is because the first batch have been delayed by around nine months so it would have made more sense to make the original batch larger and them all arrive at the same time rather than a second batch arriving soon after the first batch, thus also meaning two separate production runs as opposed to one. Because their are already 32 models in batch one and Hattons have said that their will be additional models arriving with them this means that their are at least 34 Class 66s arriving in December 2019. Personally and this hasn't been said by Hattons at all I can't see their been another batch anytime soon after this one. I would imagine maybe 2021 or possibly 2022 for another batch, just because of how large the first one has been. With so many variants and most liveries been produced in more than one running number in batch one, all of the main liveries have already now been covered. This just leaves the one off/special liveries like GBRf Cemex 66780 for example that as yet has not been announced or produced by Hornby, Bachmann or Hattons. But with special liveries that haven't already been produced now in shorter supply to announce by Hattons as the newly tooled versions I imagine this would also reduce the likelihood of a second batch anytime in the immediate/near future. 

It's also worth mentioning that Hattons like to see how well models are received. The FEA and RHTT wagons which they produced and arrived back in March this year have already been announced for a second batch to arrive in December 2019 just because of how popular they have been, especially the pristine versions of the RHTTs. I suppose their is nothing to say that if the batch one of the 66s sell really well and sell out so quickly that Hattons won't consider bringing a second batch forward but as I have mentioned their are only so many liveries to work with even with the 66s which carry so many, so as more and more are produced by the three above manufacturers the liveries are been covered even more quickly than if say only one manufacturer was producing them. But the price vs quality story is a completely different thing so I won't go into that. 

With regards to funding new Hattons 66s you aren't alone. I am in the same position. With so many new modern image items been announced/becoming available I and assume many others are just buying the items that they want the most. I for one will only be able to afford up to 3/4 Class 66s at the most if I decide that I want some. 

Just to sum up though their will almost definitely be a second batch by Hattons now that they have the tooling and especially with it offering so many DCC features and added detailing, it will be the best on the market. But just how soon the second batch comes we will have to wait and see. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Cheers DRS. I didn’t imagine they would hold the tooling and not use it so if I should miss out then there is always future batches that could come. 

You're most welcome. 

I have thought the same. A few of the Freightliner numbers are ones that I like and would buy but if funds don't allow I am sure their will be more at some stage. 

It doesn't really help in some respects that they are due to arrive so close to Christmas because realistically how many can afford to buy say just a couple of standard models at £150 each. If people choose to buy the Hattons 66s then no doubt that will be at the sacrifice of missing out on some other models. It's swings and roundabouts at the moment because their is a constant stream of new announcements, most of which have new tooling. I'm the same I like a few of the new models coming on stream but I only add some to my wishlist which are the ones that I want to buy the most and anything else I will leave. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/10/2019 at 17:02, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

From what I can gather this production run is a one off at the moment. A future batch was mentioned by Hattons on one occasion I believe but a few weeks ago Hattons announced that additional models will be added to the first batch. I assume this is because the first batch have been delayed by around nine months so it would have made more sense to make the original batch larger and them all arrive at the same time rather than a second batch arriving soon after the first batch, thus also meaning two separate production runs as opposed to one. Because their are already 32 models in batch one and Hattons have said that their will be additional models arriving with them this means that their are at least 34 Class 66s arriving in December 2019. Personally and this hasn't been said by Hattons at all I can't see their been another batch anytime soon after this one. I would imagine maybe 2021 or possibly 2022 for another batch, just because of how large the first one has been. With so many variants and most liveries been produced in more than one running number in batch one, all of the main liveries have already now been covered. This just leaves the one off/special liveries like GBRf Cemex 66780 for example that as yet has not been announced or produced by Hornby, Bachmann or Hattons. But with special liveries that haven't already been produced now in shorter supply to announce by Hattons as the newly tooled versions I imagine this would also reduce the likelihood of a second batch anytime in the immediate/near future. 

It's also worth mentioning that Hattons like to see how well models are received. The FEA and RHTT wagons which they produced and arrived back in March this year have already been announced for a second batch to arrive in December 2019 just because of how popular they have been, especially the pristine versions of the RHTTs. I suppose their is nothing to say that if the batch one of the 66s sell really well and sell out so quickly that Hattons won't consider bringing a second batch forward but as I have mentioned their are only so many liveries to work with even with the 66s which carry so many, so as more and more are produced by the three above manufacturers the liveries are been covered even more quickly than if say only one manufacturer was producing them. But the price vs quality story is a completely different thing so I won't go into that. 

With regards to funding new Hattons 66s you aren't alone. I am in the same position. With so many new modern image items been announced/becoming available I and assume many others are just buying the items that they want the most. I for one will only be able to afford up to 3/4 Class 66s at the most if I decide that I want some. 

Just to sum up though their will almost definitely be a second batch by Hattons now that they have the tooling and especially with it offering so many DCC features and added detailing, it will be the best on the market. But just how soon the second batch comes we will have to wait and see. 

Hope this helps. 

Sorry but this post is complete conjecture. Hilux5972 it would be prudent to email your questions to Hattons, you might not get an answer into their future plans since it's their business information but you might actually get a response!

I've said before in this thread it's a shame Hattons have gone quiet, even if there's nothing to share. I suppose competing with the big boys now means a different comms strategy!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

Sorry but this post is complete conjecture. Hilux5972 it would be prudent to email your questions to Hattons, you might not get an answer into their future plans since it's their business information but you might actually get a response!

I've said before in this thread it's a shame Hattons have gone quiet, even if there's nothing to share. I suppose competing with the big boys now means a different comms strategy!

I was trying to help/advise someone who had asked a question basing my response on the small amount of information that Hattons have supplied on this thread regarding the Class 66 models. With at least 34 models in the first batch I very much doubt that a second batch will follow immediately/so soon afterwards. Considering that the first batch haven't even arrived as of yet, I assume that this is the reason that Hattons have not supplied further information in relation to/or announced a second batch. As I have already mentioned Hattons especially like to see how well their products sell and if their is sufficient demand their for future batches. The person who I was trying to help can email Hattons if they wish to, I haven't said not to or that they can't but as I say at this stage when even the air freighted models of the first batch are yet to arrive I very much doubt that Hattons have firm and complete plans for a second batch. 

Also just for clarity I am not disputing Hattons communication with it's customers on RMWeb because this is their choice/policy and how they choose to run their business. I was just working with the information that they have provided and using what I would refer to as logic that with such a large first batch of models, which is the largest singular batch of models I have known to be announced and produced at once, that they will probably struggle to justify the announcement of a second batch with another substantial number of models in it to be produced so soon afterwards.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Fwiw there hasn't been repeat runs of many Hattons editions..

Just from memory Hattons only commissioned a single run of:

j94,14xx,class 14, class 28, garratt, 10000/1, barclay and P class.

repeats of 14/28/Garratt are by the OEM for general consumption, and others like Barclays, P, 10000/1 have been in stock for some time, Hattons have never been shy of holding stock for years... they were selling New Dublo track from the 1960’s until just a couple of years ago.

best not to make assumptions, if you want it buy it, I regret not buying more of the DJ94 editions... no idea if or when we will see more, been waiting 2 years to see more Barclays but no sign on the horizon.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, truffy said:

Theres always one... :-)

i did say it was from memory.

Thing is theres a lot of 66’s, and if they hold stock, chances of repeats or new runs are less likely than if they sold out.

Edited by adb968008

On 27/10/2019 at 16:08, Hilux5972 said:

I imagine they will order what they believe they will eventually sell.

You cannot guarantee any version, livery or running number will be repeated so I would order the one you most want and then hope that as soon as funds allow you can add others to your roster.

Edited by woodenhead
spare apostrophe removed

• RMweb Gold

I dont think these have completely sold out, although it might be useful to know if any particular model has sold out? I'd imagine that if, for example, the EWS red/gold version has sold out, Hattons might consider a further run including that livery. 

Assume October delivery is no longer happening then! 

In all seriousness, just spoken with Hatton's customer service and now they're still estimating December for standard livery and 6 weeks earlier for air freight. 

Edited by richscylla

On 21/10/2019 at 10:22, james26 said:

The problem with all charities is, by the time the Chairman, CEO, Office staff, cleaners and other hanger oner's are paid. very little ends up with the person most needing it. [emphasis added]

Apologies for late rebuttal, but that’s nonsense: three-quarters of registered charities don’t employ any staff at all. Not one person. 

Paul

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Fenman said:

Apologies for late rebuttal, but that’s nonsense: three-quarters of registered charities don’t employ any staff at all. Not one person. 

Paul

This has only a tenuous link to the Class 66. However, I feel this should be cleared up. Firstly employed members of charities do not ‘ hang on’ they are hard working people who run the charity.Secondly, most major charities in fact employ people. I know this because I work for a charity, and I do not hang on, or even need to do the job. I do it because like many other paid charity workers (including the military charities) I want to make a difference and help people in severe difficulties and my role is a paid not voluntary role. I would hope now that this unnecessary diversion can be put to bed and we can get back to the subject of the 66

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3