Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

On 09/11/2019 at 10:14, SouthernMafia said:

Certainly on NCE gear, when you go to select another loco if it's not in your recall stack (of which there's only 6 spaces) all the functions return to off, rather annoying.

True for PowerPro.

Switchable for PowerCab v1.28b & above but not the default behaviour.

I don't think it has been documented very well though.

Try the following.

Press ESC on the throttle until SET COMMAND STATION appears.

Press ENTER to accept the current settings for each of the options displayed.

After SYSTEM RESET you should see SELECT LOCO REFRESH. Options are Y=1 & N=0.

The default setting of 1 switches everything to off when a loco is selected.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, john new said:

For example I have no idea what a Spirax(?) valve even does so have no idea which option 66957 has on it nor, as it is a Freightliner loco, whether it has the non-standard horns.

Weathering and details can be gleaned from the many on-line photos but not the sounds.

Ian explains the spirax valve in the video.

It allows moisture to escape from the compressed air system & makes a metallic knocking sound as it does so. It can briefly open fairly regularly every few seconds, lasing for hours or even days after the loco has been powered down.

Not everyone will have heard the horns on a 66, so just choose what you think sounds more correct.

If I have heard them I have not noticed what they sound like. I will therefore choose whichever one sounds right to me, then if I do hear them in future, I can change them if required, presumably by changing a CV.

• Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

Yes, but I took from the video that you have to turn the function on, it won't do it automatically (which is a shame)

I prefer this to be switchable. It allows you to be in control.

A while back, I spoke to Biff about operating the compressor on an EPB at regular/random intervals rather than to switch it in manually.

He explained that he could easily add this as a random sound, but it made the compressor cut in at times when it just didn't sound right.

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Steadfast said:

I believe the softer sounding horns are fitted to the 5 door low emission locos. I've definitely heard DRS and GB machines with them, and older Freightliner machines with the standard horn. There may be some late 4 door locos with these horns, but I can't confirm. 

The 5 door locos are 66582 upwards, 623 upwards, 66951 upwards, 66718 - 779 (with a few exceptions), 66411 upwards and 66301-305

Jo

Wasn’t BR mandated to G flat and E flat as tones ?

May well have done. I'm absolutely non musical, but various horns sound different, but appear to be a similar pitch. Compare an HST power car, class 56, 60 66 and low emission 66 for example. In my reckoning it's not the note that's different, but the actual sound. Like a trumpet and a guitar for play a G, but sound very different

Jo

10 hours ago, YesTor said:

I dunno if it's already been posted herein, however there now appears to be a production sample online...

H4-66-001_sp1.jpg

Shes looking gorgeous but just 39 short. No doubt me and Newbryford will soon be sorting that out!

Question now is: What's happening with GBRf orange/gold/yellow...

Edited by The Black Hat

Hi everyone,

I had missed the news of the extra liveries, but the Royal Scotsman liveried ones are very welcome. By complete chance saw 66743 heading North through Dunkeld earlier this year with the Scotsman and a year ago saw one of them top and tail with another GBRF loco on a set of auto ballasters.

For now I will be getting a pair of EWS/DB locos with sound as they will be very useful additions for Rannochs next show at Glasgow in Feb. The sample Bif had at St Andrews really does sound fantastic with the EM2 speaker and the loco ran faultlessly over my tight curves and point work. It even ran into the front siding which I don’t normally use and it didn’t stutter once which is very impressive.

With regards the compressor speed up I know Bif has tried to give the best functionality for everyone. He has put it on a Function as in the video so it can be controlled as you wish but also it’s able to be switched on and left so that it will come on randomly and run for 30 seconds before returning to normal. This was on an earlier 66 sound file and had changed on a slightly later version to a Function I got, but Bif kindly put it back on a later version for me so it kicked in automatically. It works really well as when you run a train into a loop and leave it idling or say on a depot it will kick in without that loco being under control and adds further interest while you are running another train.

Watching the video with Bif, Mick and Ben was really useful as we’ve not seen a British model with so

much light and sound functions to play with and I’ve learnt more about things like Radar Hiss too.

Will be looking forward to these.

Cheers

Mark

F9C133D4-2793-4093-8ADD-CCA030926386.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Shes looking gorgeous but just 39 short. No doubt me and Newbryford will soon be sorting that out!

Question now is: What's happening with GBRf orange/gold/yellow...

As I mentioned earlier this week, 66705 in the video looks a lot more accurate in terms of orange. Who knows about the later models though.

Putting things like radar hiss on a function is just a waste of a function.

they all do it when in direction so why not programme it so?

similar with the spirax valves, compressor ect.   
imo when using a system such as a powercab its a pain in the butt trying to make use of all these functions

Also, GBRF eurospec 66’s have TPWS4, which has a different startup chime and does a self test outloud,  which biff seems to have missed out.  Could have chucked that in the options too which would be good for the later built 66’s

it does sound nice though, and i may sound like im being picky but its just my opinion of course.

Edited by Erixtar1992
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Erixtar1992 said:

imo when using a system such as a powercab its a pain in the butt trying to make use of all these functions

Also, GBRF eurospec 66’s have TPWS4, which has a different startup chime and does a self test outloud,  which biff seems to have missed out.  Could have chucked that in the options too which would be good for the later built 66’s

it does sound nice though, and i may sound like im being picky but its just my opinion of course.

I guess it’s all about choice and this way we all have the best of both worlds.

Also my DCC controller doesn’t have a neutral button!

1 hour ago, Erixtar1992 said:

So you want less switchable functions & more options? Sounds like a no-win scenario for Biff.

When I saw the operating manual, I thought it looked fun to operate.

Functions are no problem with the PowerCab & even if they were, would you complain that a 10 year old car does not have some of the options which have since become more readily available? You would be more likely to buy a newer one which has all the features you want.

The manual can be a little over-detailed, but the information is there: Reprogram the option button to 122 & F10-28 become easy to get at.

EXPN will show you which functions are switched on.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

id be inclined to agree regards the radar hiss only coming on while moving but I have an old howes 66 that I asked Bryan to put the hiss on a Random function as it’s something that is characteristic on a 66 and sounds good going off quietly in the background now and again

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just watched the video and am very impressed, I wasn’t going to order a sound fitted one but I’m going to definitely get one now, probably go for 66789 

biff: regard the battery switch and key in function, euro spec 66s don’t have a removable key, just a flick switch in each cab so you don’t get the clunk as a key goes in, you flick the switch, acknowledge the AWS (which is also a completely different tone to normal) then the TPWS 4 Voice activates, if you want me to grab a recording on my phone to show you I will at the weekend 

The switches are the 2 above the engine start/stop buttons 

733FEFB5-7E49-49DB-B5EE-5D5D3F0ED22A.jpg

16 minutes ago, big jim said:

Just watched the video and am very impressed, I wasn’t going to order a sound fitted one but I’m going to definitely get one now, probably go for 66789 

biff: regard the battery switch and key in function, euro spec 66s don’t have a removable key, just a flick switch in each cab so you don’t get the clunk as a key goes in, you flick the switch, acknowledge the AWS (which is also a completely different tone to normal) then the TPWS 4 Voice activates, if you want me to grab a recording on my phone to show you I will at the weekend 

The switches are the 2 above the engine start/stop buttons 

733FEFB5-7E49-49DB-B5EE-5D5D3F0ED22A.jpg

Yeahh as above.

I recorded a eurospec at Hams Hall the other night funnily enough!

its a very clear recording as was so quiet out.  

if you read this bif and you want me to send it you let me know. Would certainly make it more realistic for those going for the later built locos.

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

So you want less switchable functions & more options? Sounds like a no-win scenario for Biff.

When I saw the operating manual, I thought it looked fun to operate.

Functions are no problem with the PowerCab & even if they were, would you complain that a 10 year old car does not have some of the options which have since become more readily available? You would be more likely to buy a newer one which has all the features you want.

The manual can be a little over-detailed, but the information is there: Reprogram the option button to 122 & F10-28 become easy to get at.

EXPN will show you which functions are switched on.

No, my point is that it doesnt need to be a switchable funtion because they do it automatically anyway, i have no control over it when i drive a 1:1 scale version either.

the option of having the other AWS/TPWS startup is hardly a no win,  1/3 of the GBRF fleet have it, not sure on other operators so it caters for those and helps really cement this as the ultimate 66 sound file.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Going back to the video, I wasn’t expecting to see Mick Newbryford at the start, thought I’d clicked on an episode of last of the summer wine 

76ADDBA2-AEF5-48CC-BEFA-574B0D2C4E36.png

37269D50-5D50-47B3-B684-0EC1C50519C5.jpg

Fully expected to see him hurtling past in a runaway bathtub by the end!

6AAC37E9-5FB5-44F5-8A5F-1BCCF5E2DD24.jpg

Edited by big jim
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Erixtar1992 said:

the option of having the other AWS/TPWS startup is hardly a no win,  1/3 of the GBRF fleet have it, not sure on other operators so it caters for those and helps really cement this as the ultimate 66 sound file.

I’m sure I’ve had a couple of DB 66s with TPWS4 fitted, that then of course needs a clunky key sound with TPWS4 Sounds 

also had a few with the auto start stop function enabled, Shuts down after a short while to reduce emissions then restarts when you put it in direction 

Edited by big jim

1 minute ago, big jim said:

I’m sure I’ve had a couple of DB 66s with TPWS4 fitted, that then of course needs a clunky key sound with TPWS4 Sounds 

Haha just to be awkward! 
hopefully they are able to fit another short file on there, as i would like to renumber one into 66763, would be a shame to go to that massive effort then miss off something so easy :-)

really looking forward to these!

• RMweb Premium

Having read the last few postings it is clear to see there are people here who certainly know every last control on the seemingly endless sound variations  available. We are becoming increasingly expectant of models being so much like the real thing in both looks and sounds which is no bad thing. However it is clear the recent posters are heavily involved with the the real thing and therefore in a position of knowledge which is good because they can help Biff tweak the sound files. However, I think a note of caution is pertinent here. How many people who buy a 66 will be aware of all these nuance sounds, what they indicate and what 66 should and should not have them? Whilst I applaud the knowledge and the desire to get everything correct it could be construed as a form of rivet counting, because, as in all models there has to be compromise and whether the sounds triggered by the controller or come on randomly may be a compromise. Of course if Bif can take on board all this and change the sound profile accordingly all well and good, the only time a problem arises is when knowledgable people start to disagree with each other. Having watched and listened to the video the sounds are terrific. As one who knows little about TPWS4, radar hiss etc. I will be happy with what I have heard thus far. But reading the above is fascinating, and I for one would love to see more photos of the interior of these mighty beasts.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

I totally get where you are coming from, how do you know which loco has which particular set of sound, that’s something that us who work on them can probably over time furnish biff/Hattons with the info about as we get on particular locos, that way they could maybe produce a database of prototypical set ups for each individual loco in the range 

i suppose if your not completely bothered about authenticity and intend on buying a number of sound fitted Locos you could mix and match the sounds to get a nice variety running at the same time 

• RMweb Premium

The database idea sounds like a good way forward Jim, then buyers who want a particular sound project, or their loco to have reblows with certain features could get them ‘customised’ You guys who drive the real thing (lucky ) are in prime position to advise on which 66 does what. I expect most purchasers will be happy with what they get but being able to individualise your loco will indeed make this a truly groundbreaking model. We in this hobby are enjoying some superb models, and with the level of input from people like yourself we are truly spoiled, long may it continue.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1