Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

I think Jims suggestion of a database is pretty good actually.

it might sound extreme, but this is a hobby of extreme.

i know a generic steam loco TTS on an A4 might work for a lot of people, but  60009 and 60010 had very different whistles, in preservation I can tell the difference between 70000, 70013 and 71000.

Without such knowledge and people to do it, the sound is lost... look how many locos “guesses” are made and extensive research is required to reproduce a type.... I’m not holding high expectations on GT3’s forthcoming sound and was very impressed with the Blue Pullman... but we dont truly know if the Western Pullman sounded exactly the same and probably never will now.

it might not matter to many, but engines have their nuances, some of WCRCs 47’s sound different to each other, without it you wont have a choice, but when you know and you can... to those that care its briliant...

i can give a slight tangent example round here my 9 yr old daughter gets excited over a 377/7 to a 377/1/2/3/4/6 .. why ? Shes learnt those ones have plugs, so she can charge the ipad.. extreme but it matters.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

I find the comments about sound variations interesting but at the same time amazing. No matter how many slight nuances there are to any individual members in a class of locos a model can never accurately sound like the real thing. The efforts of Legomanbiffo are to be applauded for attention to detail, the Hattons Class 66 video showing very comprehensive functions available. But it must be held in perspective that only a 1:1 locomotive has all the bass and resonances which  a real locomotive can produce,  so it is easy to be sidetracked into believing  this or that sound makes it completely accurate. I say this from  my experience of audio systems in a commercial application, both voice and music. I am a collector of models who does not run a DCC system however, so feel free to shoot down my observations!  Over to you. :music_mini:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Why not just compile a chart in a separate thread in the Dcc sound area and then all the drivers can add their knowledge and whoever creates it edit the first post to include all the variations? 

Seems a fairly simple chart and it’ll be on here where anyone can be directed to the first post. :) 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Why not just compile a chart in a separate thread in the Dcc sound area and then all the drivers can add their knowledge and whoever creates it edit the first post to include all the variations? 

Seems a fairly simple chart and it’ll be on here where anyone can be directed to the first post. :) 

Excellent idea.

• RMweb Gold
On 09/11/2019 at 10:00, john new said:

I have 66957 on order for obvious reasons, unlike some of the other respondees I can't help thinking things are now getting seriously over complicated.

Despite the complications of the extra options, the video convinced me to splash out the extra for sound. Order updated.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Judging from your post count, you must have seen a fair few threads on here.

When was the last time you saw one which did not wander off-topic making any useful information impossible to find?

A forum is simply poorly suited to storing & retrieving information. A wiki is much more suitable but it has 2 drawbacks:

It is a separate entity which requires setting up & possibly also moderation.

Its purpose is that many can & should contribute. The format makes it really easy to do so...but they don't. Instead, most expect a handful of people to do all the updating, which is really annoying.

What's clear from those in the know, there are many variations in sub-class and even individual locos, which is very interesting. This must make life really difficult for those creating sound files.

Speaking as a very average modeller, I'm not about to get hung up over such detail, though I can't  deny I do like differing sounds from a loco class. As an example, on my old Scottish layout my 37/0s had a different start up to my 37/4s. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Just preordered the 2 Royal Scotsman locos. I wonder if the free air freight applies to international orders too. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I understand the loco's will be transported via air from China to the UK instead of by ship. From there they'll be posted to the customers.

Edited by Ryan91
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

When was the last time you saw one which did not wander off-topic making any useful information impossible to find?

So you say it won't work either way as it requires people to redirect to it regardless? That's why I suggested a separate thread with the info edited in the first post to make it easy to find in future with a sensible title. I've used that several times successfully on other forums and as creator I took on updating the first post. I'm not that interested in the 66 sounds but those who do care about it might find it a useful idea ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

A forum is simply poorly suited to storing & retrieving information. A wiki is much more suitable but it has 2 drawbacks:

It is a separate entity which requires setting up & possibly also moderation.

Its purpose is that many can & should contribute. The format makes it really easy to do so...but they don't. Instead, most expect a handful of people to do all the updating, which is really annoying.

As someone who has been involved in IT for many years (both as part of paid for work and voluntarily for Societies) Pete's suggestion, provided there is a volunteer to keep the table up to date, is logical and sensible. The key for me, search for Class 66 and it will come up in the list; look for it logically it should be findable, in a way being directed out of the forum is not. KISS is always the best option to follow if it is possible to do so, Pete's suggestion is fully KISS compliant - "keep it simple stupid" for anyone not aware of the acronym.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, john new said:

Despite the complications of the extra options, the video convinced me to splash out the extra for sound. Order updated.

I'm with you. That bl**dy video cost me an extra £105 per loco!! Hey ho, you can't take it with you....

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mooresby said:

I'm with you. That bl**dy video cost me an extra £105 per loco!! Hey ho, you can't take it with you....

1 hour ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Cost me £265 but you only live once so stuff it!  

I'm trying to make a sensible decision here. These two posts make it very difficult to say "No".;)

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3