Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

both useful reviews, suppose id better order one really

the everard jn vid shows the rotating axleboxes beautifully on one of the light loco shots crossing the points, something i thought would be gimmicky but seeing it in action it looks damn good

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Jenny Emily said:

my review now live. Haulage capacity was astounding and the finesse of the tampo printing amazing. 

Thank you very much for taking the time to do such a detailed review and for posting it onto the thread Jenny. 

I and I am certain that others will really appreciate it. 

I'm really looking forward to the Class 66s arriving now. 

8 minutes ago, big jim said:

both useful reviews, suppose id better order one really

the everard jn vid shows the rotating axleboxes beautifully on one of the light loco shots crossing the points, something i thought would be gimmicky but seeing it in action it looks damn good

Doesn't it just Jim. I have to say the detailing is overwhelmingly good. The fact that Hattons have even made the smallest of lettering on the chassis legible is fantastic. Also the fact that the mesh/grilles on the bodysides are unique for each different grill on the model is truly fantastic. The haulage capacity is also superb, even with such a long rake of coaches and wagons 756 really didn't struggle at all. Which 66/s are you thinking of getting? Think I will go for the Freightliner original green and Freightliner Powerhaul. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Having viewed Everard Junction video, the 66 looks great. But is the EWS branding a bit light? Shouldn't it be the same weight as the number? Perhaps that will be corrected on the production versions.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Having viewed Everard Junction video, the 66 looks great. But is the EWS branding a bit light? Shouldn't it be the same weight as the number? Perhaps that will be corrected on the production versions.

Like many things, that varied on the prototype. Hattons have produced enough variations as it is.

23 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Yes I would agree, the EWS gold colour also looks too light. Let's hope both are right on the final versions. It's strange that the number appears to be correct but the EWS is wrong, you'd think they'd both be the same!

On the other video, the GBRf orange looks a lot better than previously shown, which is good news.

Jenny's review reveals no warts at all ... very impressive and pre-production.

Bottom line is it looks good and does what it says on the tin - is very powerful.

Well done Hattons.

Al.

PS  Has anyone actually weighed one?  Dapol's Class 68 is ~700g for reference.

19 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

PS  Has anyone actually weighed one?  Dapol's Class 68 is ~700g for reference.

Scaled up, that is over 300 tonnes.

I know models need a little extra weight because the mechanics of traction do not scale properly, but it still sounds heavy.

Edited by Pete the Elaner
mis-spelling

• RMweb Premium

Have to say I did like both reviews, who knows me will think I am normally dealing with continental rolling stock, but I have a small collection of British 00 - and a large logo GBRf class 66 will be added to this collection... (is on order since they announced it). Why this version of the loco? - Well I was several times for work reasons at the Plumstead rail head of Crossrail (and in the tunnel) where large logo GBRf locos hauled the concrete trains in double traction. 

29474432582_2655a44b48_k.jpg. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Scaled up, that is over 300 tonnes.

I know models need a little extra weight because the mechanics of traction do not scale properly, but it still sounds heavy.

Indeed, the obsession with weight is missing a key factor which is a balance between weight and hauling power. Sure we could make the models even heavier, but that would require more of the power available from the motor just to overcome that weight. At some point the weight of the loco itself would limit the haulage capacity or adversely impact speed through gearing. 

Just because a loco is heavy, there is no guarantee as to its performance being better than a lighter loco (and yes I appreciate that a very light loco won’t work either)

Roy

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Just because a loco is heavy, there is no guarantee as to its performance being better than a lighter loco

I do not agree to this. Normally the motors used in a modern model locomotive are quite strong and the friction in bearings and gears is low - if the weight of a loco (which cannot go through the roof, there is a certain volume, even if we fill everything with di-cast alloy) will limit the haulage capacity then there is a problem with the motor power or friction in bearings and gears.

Vecchio

If they're designed that way, then you've a right to expect them to perform.

If you simply add weight in the vain anticipation of gaining traction, then as you say, you may well overpower the motor.

Kettles are notorious for being difficult to get 'right' - front bogies, rear ponies can carry some weight, but sometimes it's more than required, sometimes less than ideal and some tractive weight needs to be transferred to non-powered wheels to ensure they stay on, say, going over points.

I've noticed Hornby Merchant Navy locomotives often need to have the front bogie mount bent down a little - putting more weight on it to ensure it negotiates points OK - yes, I've made certain the B2B is OK.

Al.

Well it looks like Sam beat everyone to the Production Sample review ...

It JUST beats the Dapol 68 on weight, which I weighed in - and others here on the forum - at just UNDER 700g. Sam weighed the H66 at just OVER 700g.

Only weakness he found was the rotating axle boxes falling off occasionally.

Hadn't noticed the cab interior before, that's SUPERB!! FANTASTIC JOB Hattons!!

Slipped up here 'though - Bachmann fit a driver!

Looking at Sam's, the buffers didn't seem to be parallel to the rails - possibly an end-plate-adjustment issue which should be possible without problem.

One 'little detail' missed - considering the incredible detail elsewhere - there's no needle on the painted-white fuel gauge on the tank.

IS THAT ALL I CAN SEE?

WOW!!

That's absolutely nothing.

I've 2 coming - one soon, one in the New Year - CAN'T WAIT!!

Was it QUIET or what? (Typical poor 'common English' I know, but you know what I mean.)

Near totally silent.

Al.

• Like 1

The rotating axle boxes are loose on the pre production samples but will be secure on production models. This was explained to me in an email from Hattons prior to the review. Two of mine fell off but I am prepared to accept Hattons’ explanation that this was an unfortunate quirk of it being a pre production model so didn’t make a thing of it. 

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Time will tell us if and where little problems are, I am sure I will read it in this forum in a short time.... :wacko:

But first let's wait until our models have arrived and let's enjoy them! 

Vecchio

• RMweb Premium

Well I watched reviews by Everard Junction, Sams Trains and Jenny and this looks really something special . The cab detail is amazing . Puzzled there’s no driver , presumably you can fit one yourself. The various grills and the bogie detail looks superb . As a DC user  I’m happy with the various switches for light options . Well done Hattons for catering for DC , sometimes we feel a little forgotten !   Not really in the market for a 66 , but this looks like a model you could have joy in owning . I may we’ll be tempted at Model Rail Scotland if they are for sale there.    Well done Hattons . Looks like it could be between you and SLW for the best production diesel to date .  Accurascale Deltic is coming though to maintain the pressure .  I have a feeling the bar just got raised and at a reasonable price

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Well it looks like Sam beat everyone to the Production Sample review ...

Nope, it was a pre-production sample. I think he just mentioned 'production' in his puppy-dog enthusiasm. But later he does note that, according to Hattons, the axle box problem will be fixed in the production version.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jenny Emily said:

The rotating axle boxes are loose on the pre production samples but will be secure on production models. This was explained to me in an email from Hattons prior to the review. Two of mine fell off but I am prepared to accept Hattons’ explanation that this was an unfortunate quirk of it being a pre production model so didn’t make a thing of it. 

when you mean secure.. you mean fixed to the axles, or non-rotating ?

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Indeed, the obsession with weight is missing a key factor which is a balance between weight and hauling power. Sure we could make the models even heavier, but that would require more of the power available from the motor just to overcome that weight. At some point the weight of the loco itself would limit the haulage capacity or adversely impact speed through gearing. 

Just because a loco is heavy, there is no guarantee as to its performance being better than a lighter loco (and yes I appreciate that a very light loco won’t work either)

Roy

Agreed.

Europe they have traction tyres... cause no bother and are invisible. No impact on motor performance.. i had one crawl 30cm in 21 minutes ! Then let it pull the house down.

Horrible things traction tyres!!

Stretch, go hard, crack, basically just wear out and locomotive loses performance.

This way is much better - more 'realistic'.

Imagine a 300g Hornby Flying Scotsman with traction tyres - featherweight, but no slip at all ...

Not a fan.

Al.

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Horrible things traction tyres!!

Stretch, go hard, crack, basically just wear out and locomotive loses performance.

This way is much better - more 'realistic'.

Imagine a 300g Hornby Flying Scotsman with traction tyres - featherweight, but no slip at all ...

Not a fan.

Al.

A quick :offtopic: before the production Cl.66s start arriving. What you say above is what was typical of traction tyres on UK models of days gone by and is certainly not true of the traction tyres currently used on European models. I've just got a couple of models from Germany fitted with traction tyres and its very difficult with the naked eye spotting which wheels have traction tyres.

LGB even fit traction tyres on their Harz 2-10-2Ts and it was only last year, after more than ten years running, did I have to fit new traction tyres.

Enough of traction tyres, back to Hattons Cl.66s. Got to wait until January for my sound-fitted loco...…..

• Like 1