Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Can we get back to talking about the model please. If you don’t wanna watch videos on YouTube reviewing locos then don’t. Simple really. No one is forcing anyone! 

You appear to me to be missing the point of the recent off topic discussion. No one has said they don't like watching videos on YouTube reviewing locos.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, classy52 said:

I'd rather wait for independent unattached reviews of the released production version where you will get an unbiased critique of the product rather from those who are in association with the supplier or manufacturer.

But in today's world of batch production, you may end up too late for particular livery variants.

Caught between a rock and a hard place.................................

I have one on order - of a livery that I think will be the top/immediate seller - and have desires (but not funds) for a second of a different livery. I will take the risk that the second one is available when I have the means to purchase.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I would think hattons would make a generous amount of additional models for stock for sale in House or via their retailer network

Plenty of snowploughs, Barclays & P’s about.

if a livery is over popular, it wont be hard to tag a repeat onto another 66 order, its not as if theres a shortage of liveries on 66’s.

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Plenty of snowploughs, Barclays & P’s about.

if a livery is over popular, it wont be hard to tag a repeat onto another 66 order, its not as if theres a shortage of liveries on 66’s.

Which may actually mean a lower chance of repeats. If Hattons have to judge the popularity of a repeat versus a new livery, the latter may prevail. 

Roy

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Which may actually mean a lower chance of repeats. If Hattons have to judge the popularity of a repeat versus a new livery, the latter may prevail. 

Roy

Hattons are a retailer.

unlike manufacturers they have the benefits of pre-orders, thus knowing exactly how much demand exists, versus guessing the level of potential demand.

if enough pre-orders are made, to make both a mould pressing run and a combination of paint / printing runs to match that number they can do it...

For comparisons look How Dapol are doing EOI on TPE 68 to establish demand, vs SLWs approach of listing the models and waiting until the magic number is reached... Hattons can combine both approaches on their website without risk.. and when the digits align.. press go.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Hattons are a retailer.

unlike manufacturers they have the benefits of pre-orders, thus knowing exactly how much demand exists, versus guessing the level of potential demand.

if enough pre-orders are made, to make both a mould pressing run and a combination of paint / printing runs to match that number they can do it...

I don’t disagree with that, but to accept pre-orders, Hattons will either have decided to run a repeat already or effectively ask for an expression of interest.

If orders for, let’s say, the Biffa 66 have met the planned first run it will show as sold-out and no more orders may be taken. If another 20 people contact Hattons and ask for it, what does that say? At least 20 people *may* buy it - that may be the total of extra orders, unlikely, but possible. 

As a result, if Hattons are looking at a second batch of 66s, they will have to weigh up knowledge of these 20 people for a re-run of that particular livery against the unknown demand for an as yet unoffered livery.

Who would want to be a manufacturer!

Roy

13 hours ago, classy52 said:

I'd rather wait for independent unattached reviews of the released production version where you will get an unbiased critique of the product rather from those who are in association with the supplier or manufacturer.

I agree, and I have not pre-ordered any until I can see one in the shop (though my local is no longer stocking Hattons...so...). I do not hold high hopes, seeing as the cab side windows on the low emission variants are still over-scale and the wi-pac light clusters on the original EWS/Freightliners are also over-scale - I just cannot find myself excited to buy these at all. Yeah they have some extra bits and bobs on the chassis - but the Bachmann take is by overall appearance more accurate to the prototype. I have said it before and I shall say it again, I just would not be at all surprised if Bachmann re-tooled the 66 at some point to offer through its 600 plus retailer network vs. Hatton's one and only. 

Seeing as there are annoying errors on the RHTT set, which has been consistently pointed out to Hatton's yet not addressed in batch 2. I just am a little 'meh' about the 66 and watching some overexcited Youtube just does not twist my arm to buy. You judge the pudding on the bite! 

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I have seen "meh" written before but I have never understood what it is supposed to mean. Is there any chance you can translate it to English please?

Dziekuje.

meh - an expression of indifference

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=meh+meaning

meh

/mɛ/

[informal]

exclamation: meh

expressing a lack of interest or enthusiasm.

"meh, I'm not impressed so far"

adjective: meh

uninspiring; unexceptional.

"a lot of his movies are … meh"

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 159220 said:

I agree, and I have not pre-ordered any until I can see one in the shop (though my local is no longer stocking Hattons...so...). I do not hold high hopes, seeing as the cab side windows on the low emission variants are still over-scale and the wi-pac light clusters on the original EWS/Freightliners are also over-scale - I just cannot find myself excited to buy these at all. Yeah they have some extra bits and bobs on the chassis - but the Bachmann take is by overall appearance more accurate to the prototype. I have said it before and I shall say it again, I just would not be at all surprised if Bachmann re-tooled the 66 at some point to offer through its 600 plus retailer network vs. Hatton's one and only. 

Seeing as there are annoying errors on the RHTT set, which has been consistently pointed out to Hatton's yet not addressed in batch 2. I just am a little 'meh' about the 66 and watching some overexcited Youtube just does not twist my arm to buy. You judge the pudding on the bite! 

Fair point, but it’s a long way from here to Liverpool.....I wonder where nearest stockist to wiltshire is 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Duple said:

I get it is free publicity.. but I for one am not particularly happy most customers have been snubbed waiting for their models and Hattons are handing, what appear to be production models around to everyone with a minor popular YouTube account. 

Rather unfair on those who have had pre-orders since day 1 and cash waiting and are still waiting.. people are quick to fault Bachmann with its brexit-esque delays, but at least their samples only end up with magazines. 

They are NOT production models as has been said many times....

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Duple said:

I get it is free publicity.. but I for one am not particularly happy most customers have been snubbed waiting for their models and Hattons are handing, what appear to be production models around to everyone with a minor popular YouTube account. 

Rather unfair on those who have had pre-orders since day 1 and cash waiting and are still waiting.. people are quick to fault Bachmann with its brexit-esque delays, but at least their samples only end up with magazines. 

That’s rather harsh on those who take the effort to make layouts AND personal time to provide those videos for you access to those YouTube accounts.

Producing the video can take many more hours than filming it, which means “playing” with it is just a short part of the time. And for what do they do this, a few likes, a few critics and a few minutes of fun and honour to have been selected... but if they want to own one, they are still in the same queue as you and I.

Tbh reading your post it sounds like jealousy.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

What's the problem?

Hattons announce a new model.

It's now nearly ready.

Some pre production samples were loaned to three people to review on YouTube.

Production models will be here soon.

Nothing that I can see to be frustrated about.

Using YouTube gets the reviews "out there" much quicker than magazine reviews and it also responds to those who will not order anything until.they have seen a review.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Any update from Hattons on expected delivery of these 66's, their website still says December 2019 will there be a number of disapointed modellers come Christmas when their promised present turns out to be a bus **

They are still saying January 2020 for their n-gauge Garratt and we all know that's not even going to go into production.

Will the 66 arrive in time?

Paul

** rail replacement service 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think it’s very clever marketing by Hattons  to get publicity through YouTube channels .  It’s a sign of the changing media scene . A lot of these channels have thousands of viewers  and actually are reaching people that possibly don’t buy magazines . In fact I think some have more viewers than the circulation of some magazines . The models In all cases are stated as pre production and I think in most cases  that they are on loan . I see this as nothing more than sending models to magazines for review except this is the 21st century version.

its had an effect . I haven’t ordered a 66 , because to be honest I reckon they are pretty ugly . However given that I now have some privatised era trains because of the superb Dapol 68  , I’m thinking I need something to run with them . I bought an old Lima freightliner 66 for £40 which does a job but having seen these reviews I now fancy a Hattons 66 . I’m thinking latest GBRf ones . If they have them at Glasgow I may just buy it there . 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Paul80 said:

Any update from Hattons on expected delivery of these 66's, their website still says December 2019 will there be a number of disapointed modellers come Christmas when their promised present turns out to be a bus **

They are still saying January 2020 for their n-gauge Garratt and we all know that's not even going to go into production.

Will the 66 arrive in time?

Paul

** rail replacement service 

Well now that depends on whether you ordered prior to their cut off date.If you did then I am assured that you will receive your 66 before Christmas.This in conversation with a member of staff who telephoned me in order to update my cc details.

• Like 1