Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

32 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Bachmann actually sent some pre production samples out the the people building layouts on the great model railway chellenge. The 24/1 was there as was the western pullman

You must have just read the collectors club magazine as well. That's a really good way to get new models out to an audience. They had quite a few there during filming by the looks of it

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Ahem.. he is wondering where the nearest stockists is.. ;)

And so am I......living just 12 miles from Derby.We’ll have to see whether Hattons will “cascade” any of their 66’s or not to their accredited stockists.Scratching my head trying to locate where they are.One in Sheffield....Rails.....and maybe one in Derby.

At retail price of £150 that maybe a big ask for smaller retailers.We’ll see. 

Really,if you want to see and make a decision on the basis of in my hand and touch the merchandise,then the only way realistically is to go to Hattons emporium 

11 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And so am I......living just 12 miles from Derby.We’ll have to see whether Hattons will “cascade” any of their 66’s or not to their accredited stockists.Scratching my head trying to locate where they are.One in Sheffield....Rails.....and maybe one in Derby.

At retail price of £150 that maybe a big ask for smaller retailers.We’ll see. 

Really,if you want to see and make a decision on the basis of in my hand and touch the merchandise,then the only way realistically is to go to Hattons emporium 

Not gonna happen, I get a nosebleed north of Watford.

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, 7013 said:

Do Hattons do a list of the retailers they supply? That would make it easier.

Unfortunately I believe Oxfordshire does not have any model shops now.

howes is still going (don’t look to supply hattons stuff though) 

On 11/12/2019 at 20:23, truffy said:

Nope, it was a pre-production sample. I think he just mentioned 'production' in his puppy-dog enthusiasm. But later he does note that, according to Hattons, the axle box problem will be fixed in the production version.

Sam is in some shape or form on the pay roll of Hattons, like New Junction with Hornby Magazine, they have a very fine line to trend between their employer and neutral review. 

Edited by Welsh Signaller

• RMweb Premium

I have been informed by a retailer with a Hattons business account that the 66 will only be available through Hattons. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this, but I am passing it on in good faith. I assume from this if it is accurate those wishing to see before they buy will have to go to Hattons shop or wait until Hattons are at a show nearby.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Welsh Signaller said:

Sam is in some shape or form on the pay roll of Hattons, like New Junction with Hornby Magazine, they have a very fine line to trend between their employer and neutral review. 

Sam seems to buy a lot of stuff from Hattons, and makes no secret of it. Perhaps a few shameless plugs have raised his profile to the point that he gets a temporary loan of a preproduction model. No biggie, it certainly doesn’t imply that he’s on the payroll. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, truffy said:

Sam seems to buy a lot of stuff from Hattons, and makes no secret of it. Perhaps a few shameless plugs have raised his profile to the point that he gets a temporary loan of a preproduction model. No biggie, it certainly doesn’t imply that he’s on the payroll. 

Whether or not the reviewer is on the payroll or doing the review entirely voluntarily is not really our business.    All I will say is, put yourself in the position of being the person who has been privileged with a loan of a pre-production example for review.  If you are over critical of the product the maker won't send you any more products to review so you will lose that privilege.   Not to say reviews, whether in a magazine or on youtube, are in any way dishonest.  However I tend to be wary that sometimes the review is presented through rose tinted spectacles.  Many of us do not live near a model shop where we can see the item in the flesh,  so we need to be able to rely on the accuracy of these reviews.

• Friendly/supportive 1

47 minutes ago, truffy said:

He’s confirmed to me he is, I had a brief discussion with him over a potential sponsorship of this channel by my shop - he couldn’t as he’s in with Hattons.

likewise New Junction with Hornby Mag, and to a lesser degree with Hattons.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

Whether or not the reviewer is on the payroll or doing the review entirely voluntarily is not really our business. 

I disagree entirely, I think it's important to know whether somebody's being paid to like something or truly  independent.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

15 hours ago, Welsh Signaller said:

He’s confirmed to me he is, I had a brief discussion with him over a potential sponsorship of this channel by my shop - he couldn’t as he’s in with Hattons.

6 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Just a note regarding the "Sam's Trains" channel, for those who don't know, he's a Hatton's Affiliate. It's quite clearly shown in the video description for all his videos

I don't know what 'affiliate' means in terms of (the potential for) review bias. But if he's directly sponsored by Hattons, I would expect full disclosure in the video.

I don't recall that such a clear disclosure was made, and I don't intend rewatching it to see if I missed it.

I certainly did not get the clear impression that his review could somehow have been 'bought', so I think that's quite poor. Just my opinion.

Edited by truffy
clarification

In Sam's defence, he's the only one to have mentioned the faults observed during the video.

In comparison to his videos of other locos, I suppose he didn't criticise the lack of slow speed on forwards initially - extremely controllable once run in, so resolved anyway.

Al.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, truffy said:

I don't know what 'affiliate' means in terms of (the potential for) review bias. But if he's directly sponsored by Hattons, I would expect full disclosure in the video.

I don't recall that such a clear disclosure was made, and I don't intend rewatching it to see if I missed it.

I certainly did not get the clear impression that his review could somehow have been 'bought', so I think that's quite poor. Just my opinion.

Unfortunately I’ve no longer the message from him, but he did confirm in no uncertain terms he works for or with Hattons.

I do have the message from Chris at New Junction confirming he works for Hornby Magazine and “a few shops”.

I’ve nothing against the lads, fair play to them but it’s really not clear their relationship with retailers or magazines.

I was always under the impression the lads where very lucky to have such fantastic collections, hence why I approached them.

Edited by Welsh Signaller
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, cessna152towser said:

Whether or not the reviewer is on the payroll or doing the review entirely voluntarily is not really our business....

Unfortunately the law says otherwise as stated here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/social-media-endorsements-guide-for-influencers/social-media-endorsements-being-transparent-with-your-followers

'Celebrities' seem to get in trouble regularly with stories such as this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46960179

I did watch Sams video once and I personally don't feel it was clear if he is connected to Hattons

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

In his latest video he is looking at Hornby's latest releases and then referencing Hattons' price with the website being shown.

Rails do get a look in with the 43xx model and the Advent calendars but there appears to be signs of Bachmann bashing in a few comments (and one in the 66 review too).

He's certainly biased towards Hattons, if this is paid then it needs to be declared, perhaps the Rails elements were to deflect criticism or he mainly uses the two bigger box shifters for all his stock.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1