Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

To be fair to Everard Junction he is very clear he is not working with any retailer or magazine, and clearly points out he has been sent items such as the Hattons 66, an maybe if I recall (apologies if I’m wrong) the Hattons work beach draws/storage compartments.

People watch these video “reviews” to decide whether they are going to buy the model or not, a raving review can push customers to buy the model, likewise a poor one goes the other way.

If your reviewing a model produced by your employer, or someone you gain something from in return then you really need to be in your face clear that’s the case - it could also bias your review.

You probably wouldn’t keep getting goodies to review if your reviews were poor.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Sam did state that the model had been loaned by Hattons  . I think the affiliation is fairly clear . In any case he does seem to be the only one that picked up on the loose axle covers (on pre production version- Hattonss are aware and its corrected in production variants.

Edited by Legend
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Legend said:

Sam did state that the model had been loaned by Hattons  . I think the affiliation is fairly clear . In any case he does seem to be the only one that picked up on the loose axle covers (on pre production version- Hattonss are aware and its corrected in production variants.

Indeed he does, just like Everard Juntion (my favourite YouTube channel, I must declare a bias). 

But it’s important he declares a wider partnership/employment with the biggest model railway retailer in the country.

• Agree 3

I just watched three (including his 66 video) at no point does he say he’s affiliated with or employed by Hattons.

In his latest video the December news review he makes 9 references to the price of models at Hattons, with associated screen shots.

In total there are 27 name drops to Hattons, compared to only two for Rails of Sheffield.

You also have to wonder in the 66 “the best Diesel ever made” apparently, why he feels the needs to snip at Bachmann with their 66 being reduced to “£5 less than the Hattons Model” “funny how they can do this and still make a profit” considering the reported recent issue the two have had, if casts doubt on his impartiality.

I couldn’t watch the 66 review all the way through after watching two videos in full, the lads enthusiasm and gushing was almost sickening to be honest and that’s coming from a modeller.

Is Sam on here, maybe he would shut us all up with a statement perhaps? 

it appears by law channels need to make associations care which he isn’t, one mention in one video isn’t enough especially when he puts out a number each week.

No axe to grind, just I like these things made clear in this day and age.

Edited by Welsh Signaller
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, stock_2007 said:

As a rule I don't take a lot of notice of people mouthing off about nothing, but why are we nit picking about a video? 

Give it 2 or 3 weeks and you can do your own:crazy_mini:

Ive zero interest in the model, I’m certainly not having a mood because this lady and gentlemen have had a play with a new toy before me.

The point is, by law - if you have a vested interest in a product or have a product on loan you must declare it.

Sam has confirmed to me he is affiliated with Hattons, but doesn’t make that clear in his videos thus potentially giving people the misguided view he is wholly unbiased in his review.

Hes incredibly popular on YouTube, people listen to what he says rightly or wrongly..if your in a position of trust (to a degree) you have to be open and honest about your background.

• Agree 6

27 minutes ago, stock_2007 said:

As a rule I don't take a lot of notice of people mouthing off about nothing, but why are we nit picking about a video? 

Give it 2 or 3 weeks and you can do your own:crazy_mini:

Couldn't agree more. If I'm spending north of £150 then I'll  make the call as to the model being as I want it. 

• Agree 2

Once the locos land and some are delivered we will soon find out how good they are on forums far and wide.

People have already ordered plenty well before any videos or even pre-production models appeared and most people probably won't have been swayed by the videos.

Sam does need declare his affiliation more but all he's had is the model for few weeks ahead of launch.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Welsh Signaller said:

I just watched three (including his 66 video) at no point does he say he’s affiliated with or employed by Hattons.

it appears by law channels need to make associations care which he isn’t,

No axe to grind, just I like these things made clear in this day and age.

You watched his videos, observing for affiliation mentions, point out the law, but instead of calling the authorities.., you bring it here...

but you have no axe to grind ?

what exactly are you trying to achieve ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Welsh Signaller said:

The point is, by law - if you have a vested interest in a product or have a product on loan you must declare it.

Sam has confirmed to me he is affiliated with Hattons, but doesn’t make that clear in his videos thus potentially giving people the misguided view he is wholly unbiased in his review.

He may not mention it in the actual video but in the first line of the description it has a link for said product with (affiliate) immediately afterwards. 

Also flicking through a few of his product review videos, each one has exactly the same line

"Order yours here: hattons.co.uk/........ (affiliate) 

Does that cover him in terms of the law? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

He may not mention it in the actual video but in the first line of the description it has a link for said product with (affiliate) immediately afterwards. 

Also flicking through a few of his product review videos, each one has exactly the same line

Viewing via YouTube on a TV that doesn’t come up, so Sam please accept my apologies.

Im big enough and definitely ugly enough to admit when I’ve made a mistake.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, classy52 said:

So what does everyone think of the new Hatton's Class 66?...I think it's spiffy.

when announced, I thought “so what” and didnt know what the fuss was about. 

Since then Ive been really impressed with them, Ive held a couple over the last year, saw them all in the cabinets at Warley and seen a couple running....

I do like the reversing mirrors, I like the rotating axleboxes. The paint finish and shade I think they've got pretty good. Its very heavy, runs very smoothly. The bogie detail is excellant (you cant just see but read bogie frame casting wording), very good details, even that pipe from the frame to the bogie.

Noticeable the lifting hooks on the buffer beam (and variations of it) plus different drivers side windows.

Theres a lot of attention to detail here.

Thats my opinion, and no ones paid, offered, incentivised, hand bagged, bribed, extorted, coerced, sweetened, paper bagged nor even offered me a chocolate biscuit to write nice things about it.. I have a youtube channel but no one ever looks at it, indeed Hattons even screwed up an order to me once, but i’m sure i’m still biased :-)

heres my Unobjective pictures from Warley...DDBEA005-DBE6-4BAF-ACE8-A516583A0E5F.jpeg.763f58f066bb92280b9afecb595c15cd.jpegBB8640A2-5113-415E-89C7-EA39D69DBC78.jpeg.442fb2b48d04d9bdd76d9303b702586f.jpegA8A1FA6A-7385-4448-A16B-9C608BB5AAEE.jpeg.d99d1ef281178d2a0abd8aa9a4074ec0.jpeg6FD6D3EC-9080-4B8D-BF6A-E7E464A82CB8.jpeg.8160777ddfef687eb92d43effcb0f126.jpegDF54A316-D54A-4977-B1DB-9FEBCD897FFA.jpeg.50b8f40d021473f102f0780caed05b5d.jpeg

and just to be fair.. heres the other teams, in the same livery..

D34D8558-EFFC-4F72-B8BF-D250B4A03BDB.jpeg.0bcaacfecd54cc65fe72c63648db2717.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

It may (or may not) cover him in terms of the law, but it's still hardly transparent. The term 'affiliate' is unclear in its meaning, at least to me.

Where a review is sponsored, or otherwise supported, by a manufacturer/retailer, that should be clearly stated. Simply saying that the item is on loan isn't enough. I don't think that Sam's review can be considered to be unbiased, but that may not be clear to the viewer.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, classy52 said:

So what does everyone think of the new Hatton's Class 66?...I think it's spiffy.

Personally I think that the detailing to the chassis is excellent and superior to the Bachmann examples, the DCC lighting features their are many of, all of which are prototypical and they are far closer to the prototype regarding functions than the Bachmann examples. Especially the cab interior lights not working when the loco is moving as most of the time this never happens, although the Bachmann versions can be turned on/off using F1 so people have a choice. The cab interiors look fantastic with regards to the printing of detail and actual 3D detailing. 

Although a couple of things that my friend mentioned above possibly on the previous page is that the top roof headlight does still look oversized and the cab side windows on the low emission variants, 66957 for example are still too and big and oversized. As it goes 957 is one of the versions that I want but provided that everything else is good I may overlook the oversized roof head light and oversized cab side windows. I am just hoping that they don't look too big or too daft. If anyone has pre-ordered this example for pre-Christmas delivery and posts some photos or videos I will have a look and see what I think. If the errors are too noticeable I won't buy it. 

From my perspective that's a fair and unbiased review so far and I have no connection with Hattons except from been a customer. 

Hope this helps. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Ryde-on-time said:

On a point of Order, I didn't see where it is Law, but then again I didn't read the whole article in the link.

It clearly states that this is Guidance, but it isn't Law. There are no Statutory Instruments associated with this, but please enlighten me.

57 minutes ago, classy52 said:

I'm looking forward to a running session.

It is nice to see the care & thought they have made for sound too:

Space for an EM2 & they are fitting this to the sound-fitted versions.

A sound project from Legomanbiffo.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

On a point of Order, I didn't see where it is Law, but then again I didn't read the whole article in the link.

It clearly states that this is Guidance, but it isn't Law. There are no Statutory Instruments associated with this, but please enlighten me.

I am not trained in law but this passage at the start of the web page I linked to seems clear:

”If you mislead your followers, you may be breaking consumer protection law, and could face enforcement action from the CMA, local authority Trading Standards services or the Department for the Economy in Northern Ireland. You might also break industry rules on advertising.”

I too think that things should be clearer when watching on TV. As has been previously asked, is Sam on this forum. It seems me that a friendly prompt to tweak things to make them clearer is all that’s needed

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It really is interesting (not) all this waffle about whether a reviewer is affiliated to Hattons or not. The model will be out in a couple of weeks then the thread will be inundated with videos of hopefully happy but not connected with Hattons other than being  customers with all manner of opinions. The people who have given these reviews do not force you to view them. I have seen a couple and quite frankly could not care less who is giving the commentary because I am capable of making my own mind up about the loco.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3