Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

I’m more worried about the E in EWS...

before the videos start, can we form a majority ....is that thing on the bottom a snow plough, an air dam, or a device for moving steers off the track in Utah ? I’ve heard it called various...

3 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

before the videos start, can we form a majority ....is that thing on the bottom a snow plough, an air dam, or a device for moving steers off the track in Utah ? I’ve heard it called various...

On the 66 it think its called an air dam. Its not pointy so wouldn't be much good as a snowplow. Probably effective in animal movement as well rather than them getting caught in the bogies. 

24 minutes ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi guys,

Apologies, that's my mis-step there. 

We have used Pantones matched to the Colas colours which have then been approved by Colas Rail themselves.

I've just taken a very quick phone picture showing a comparison between our own 66847 and Bachmann's 37099 which I hope helps.

Colas.jpg.e021902c193899db8da8d202294cd1b6.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

The model looks great, however I thought the 'Colas Rail Freight' branding looked a bit small, and it appears something is amiss here. Below are shots from both recently and when it was nearly ex-works, and I don't think it's ever had a rebrand of the Colas slogan.

66847 at Eastleigh 05/11/19

66847 Pudding Mill Lane 191011

(Both from Flcikr, click to link)

The diagonal clearly goes through the L of 'Rail', not the A.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but it looks a little odd to me and hopefully future examples can be rectified.

Jack.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi guys,

Apologies, that's my mis-step there. 

We have used Pantones matched to the Colas colours which have then been approved by Colas Rail themselves.

I've just taken a very quick phone picture showing a comparison between our own 66847 and Bachmann's 37099 which I hope helps.

Colas.jpg.e021902c193899db8da8d202294cd1b6.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for the reply. It's very much appreciated. 

So if you have pantone matched according to 159220 this is incorrect as the real life Colas 66s have been RAL matched. In the research stage of this project in relation to colours on the 66s how did you reach the conclusion that the Colas 66s should be pantone matched as opposed to RAL? This could be why the colours appear to be not right and different to the colours on the photo of the Bachmann 37 that you have posted.

Thank you for the photo. To me the Hattons Colas 66s and the Bachmann Colas 37 are different in the orange and yellow colours. The orange on the 37 is lighter whereas on the 66 it appears to be darker and the yellow on the 37 just looks yellow whereas the yellow on the Hattons 66s looks really bright to the extent that it doesn't look right. 

Although Colas themselves have approved the colours on the Hattons 66s I am not convinced that these are correct. 

Have the Colas 66s already been manufactured/produced? I am just wondering if they haven't could you alter the colours (orange and yellow) even if it means that the Colas 66s are delayed again in order for them to be correct and accurate? 

I mention this because I simply can't justify spending £300 on two models that are wearing the incorrect colours. 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Danny,

Pantone and RAL are two systems of specifying colours which are not mutually exclusive.
You can have one colour produced using either system and they will be matches for each other.

The matches were attained using Pantone swatches and the real life locomotive.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, classy52 said:

...and don't forget to criticize the livery application & colour as it appears slightly different under your particular lighting conditions :jester:

Before running it around your 'layout' which is in fact SetTrack laid on your bedroom carpet hauling a mixed train of mismatched Hornby and Lima from the 1980's :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

4 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Although Colas themselves have approved the colours on the Hattons 66s I am not convinced that these are correct. 

Colour seems to cause a lot of disagreements.

Paint fades in sunlight, after going through the washer & gets covered in dirt.

For some reason I don't understand, it does not seem to scale properly.

We rarely get to see our models in daylight either. We usually see them in a tungsten light with a yellow hue, or in fluorescent lighting with a green hue.

Even daylight lamps/tubes are not exactly the same as daylight.

Jack374's 2nd image above shows 3 green hoppers, the outside 2 being a lot more weathered than the middle one. Even if they were originally painted exactly the same shade, they certainly weren't when that photo was taken.

Warning panel yellow is a good example. It varies massively. It didn't suddenly change in 1984 as Railmatch's range seems to infer.

The difference between Bachmann's 37 & Hatton's 66 is very slight. A very light pass with an airbrush will make up more than the difference between the 2 & I would be surprised if you could tell the difference if they were not side by side.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Just now, atom3624 said:

It appears the Hattons' alignment = Hornby's = this: http://rickinghamphotography.co.uk/gallery3/index.php/Railway/Class-66/IMG_6859

Al.

Not so...that photo has the exhaust to the left, whereas Dave's photo (and both of the ones I posted) have it on the right. The branding is correct for the side you’ve linked, and also the opposite side of 847, however each side is different.

Jack.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

53 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

On the 66 it think its called an air dam. Its not pointy so wouldn't be much good as a snowplow. Probably effective in animal movement as well rather than them getting caught in the bogies. 

Ah... its a Cow catcher in old money.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi Danny,

Pantone and RAL are two systems of specifying colours which are not mutually exclusive.
You can have one colour produced using either system and they will be matches for each other.

The matches were attained using Pantone swatches and the real life locomotive.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for the reply. 

On the photo posted a few comments up of a Colas 66 in ex works condition the ex works colours are noticeable. The Colas orange is much lighter on the real life locos compared to the Hattons 66s, thus I am sure that the models have the incorrect orange applied. I am also sure that the yellow used on the real life locos and the yellow used on the Hattons Colas 66s is not the same. I have to say it's a real shame that the colours are incorrect on the Hattons Colas 66s because myself and others did mention that the Colas colours on the samples that were revealed in Q1/Q2 this year were incorrect. 

It's also a shame that on the models as Jack points out the 'Colas Rail Freight' branding on the sides appears too small. 

I am really disappointed that the models have been produced with these errors. As I mention the colours been incorrect were pointed out in March/April 2019 when you posted the update to the thread showing the samples, so the fact that further samples have been produced and such significant errors have passed through is disappointing. Unfortunately I won't be buying either of the Colas 66s, because their are just too many errors for models of £150 each. 

I hope you understand. 

Thank you. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

Not so...that photo has the exhaust to the left, whereas Dave's photo (and both of the ones I posted) have it on the right. The branding is correct for the side you’ve linked, and also the opposite side of 847, however each side is different.

Jack.

I tried!

Have to admit you're correct, of course. Pity.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

I've never heard it called anything officially. To me it's known as the bit of metal that makes a monster racket when you drop the coupling against it! Makes a proper good noise like a gong.

Jo

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

Jack.

Thanks for pointing this out Jack. So just to clarify so I understand: for at least one side of the Hattons Colas 66s either the diagonal line is in the incorrect place on the bodysides or the 'Colas Rail Freight' branding is slightly misplaced thus the diagonal line on at least one side runs through the wrong letter/s.  

Thanks in advance. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Will people stop trying to compare colours between photos, that will never work.  If you want a proper comparIson you need to take a model and compare it with an ex-works loco - in the flesh. Anything else is simply not worth the effort. 

Roy

• Like 5
  • Agree 6

4 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

If you want a proper comparIson you need to take a model and compare it with an ex-works loco - in the flesh. Anything else is simply not worth the effort. 

Is this the point at which someone mentions colour scaling?

No? Oh, well I won't then! :diablo_mini:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Will people stop trying to compare colours between photos, that will never work.  If you want a proper comparIson you need to take a model and compare it with an ex-works loco - in the flesh. Anything else is simply not worth the effort. 

Roy

To an extent it does work because where their are significant colour differences between real life locos and models alike it is noticeable. For example the real life photos that Jack provided above of the Colas 66 can be used to compare to the Hattons model and the photo provided by Dave on the previous page. The orange is definitely different and possibly the yellow too on the Colas 66s. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

To an extent it does work because where their are significant colour differences between real life locos and models alike it is noticeable. For example the real life photos that Jack provided above of the Colas 66 can be used to compare to the Hattons model and the photo provided by Dave on the previous page. The orange is definitely different and possibly the yellow too on the Colas 66s. 

No - it doesn't. The colours in Jack374's post are different between the two photos, all because the lighting is different - and that is the same loco. The photos of the Hatton's 66 are taken in yet another light condition. Then people make statements of "slightly too this", "maybe too that".

Unless everything is taken in the same light, at the same time, with the same camera, with the same settings, processed with the same software, viewed on the same monitor, you can tell nothing.

Roy

• Agree 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

49 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

I've never heard it called anything officially. To me it's known as the bit of metal that makes a monster racket when you drop the coupling against it! Makes a proper good noise like a gong.

Jo

It's an obstacle deflector, officially. The thing on your namesake, 60001, Is quite rightly a snowplough!

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

No - it doesn't. The colours in Jack374's post are different between the two photos, all because the lighting is different - and that is the same loco. The photos of the Hatton's 66 are taken in yet another light condition. Then people make statements of "slightly too this", "maybe too that".

Unless everything is taken in the same light, at the same time, with the same camera, with the same settings, processed with the same software, viewed on the same monitor, you can tell nothing.

Roy

The Colas orange is incorrect. As has been discussed previously the Colas 66s should be matched to RAL and instead they have been matched to pantone, as has been confirmed by Dave at Hattons. This is incorrect and it explains why the Colas orange on the Hattons 66s is too dark and thus incorrect. 

I see your point and if their was a slight difference in colours between models and the real life locos then it could be said that lighting and other factors may play a part in why the colour comes across as different. But the Colas orange on the Hattons 66s is incorrect. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, truffy said:

Is this the point at which someone mentions colour scaling?

No? Oh, well I won't then! :diablo_mini:

It was mentioned a few posts up....

As an example, when Rail Express/Hornby did 60074 in light blue, the test model used exactly the same RAL shade. It didn't look right, so the production models used a half-shade different.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

34 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

Totally agree Roy - what a lot of nonsense.

Colour is always in the eye of the beholder anyway and the most difficult thing to carry in your mind.

The Hattons 66 locos look superb and cannot wait for there arrival, first one is on its way!

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi Danny, The matches were attained using Pantone swatches and the real life locomotive.

2 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

But the Colas orange on the Hattons 66s is incorrect. 

Dave has quite clearly stated it is correct. Whether it looks right is a different beast as Mick says. Looks are subject to opinion, facts aren’t.

Why don’t we give one to a railway employee and see? Wonder where we can find anyone who has access to Colas traction?... :scratchhead:

I personally wouldn’t lose sleep over this.

Jack.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1