Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

26 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Unless everything is taken in the same light, at the same time, with the same camera, with the same settings, processed with the same software, viewed on the same monitor, you can tell nothing.

Roy

And the same photo viewed on different monitors/laptops will look different as they are all calibrated differently.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

This is incorrect and it explains why the Colas orange on the Hattons 66s is too dark and thus incorrect.

That means nothing. It is the equivalent of me saying it's 7 degrees today and you saying it's 44 degrees. Different scales, same weather.

Please cease that line of argument.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

That means nothing. It is the equivalent of me saying it's 7 degrees today and you saying it's 44 degrees. Different scales.

Please cease that line of argument.

Hi Andy, 

I was just saying and making a comparison of what I have seen between the different photos in relation to the Colas orange. 

I was interested to know if the Colas orange is correct. If Dave says that it is then I will trust him. 

Thank you. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I was just saying and making a comparison of what I have seen between the different photos in relation to the Colas orange. 

No, you were saying Pantone and RAL colours are different. The colour is the same, just different nomenclature. Which is why I was asking you to stop that line of argument, but you've carried on. Do it again and I'll just remove access to the topic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 10

2 hours ago, Steadfast said:

I've never heard it called anything officially. To me it's known as the bit of metal that makes a monster racket when you drop the coupling against it! Makes a proper good noise like a gong.

Jo

Perfect,

it shall be evermore known as “ the shedgong” ;)

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Think people just need to take a chill pill ..... every time a model comes out people are waiting to knock it ....

The paint looks spot on to me ........ now lets move on and talk about something like ........ BREXIT .......

Its Christmas guys ....

Ben

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

The model looks fine to me. As a photographer I am aware of the way colour appears in different photographs. Also, calling on my medical knowledge our individual perception of colour tone varies. So my perception of Orange or any other colour for that matter may be different from others. Add in the fact that there are many people with different degrees of colour blindness/eye problems and the permutations are endless. And to be frank nobody is forced to buy the model so instead of the pedantic nit picking just hold counsel

and keep your wallet closed. The model is now being distributed so too late to change it unless you respray or weather.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, AlexHolt said:

The paint shades are correct. The text/branding however is not, its either too small or its been positioned wrong. The orange/yellow diagonal is supposed to go through the L not the A as shown on the hattons picture posted further up. I can't find a single photograph of a Colas livery 66 that has it done the way hattons have done theirs. Thats quite clearly a mistake on their part, the colours however are factually correct. 

It does indeed go through the A (as mentioned earlier) but only on one side 

Eastleigh   66847  "Terry Baker"

IMGE5527 66847 name Eastleigh 20 Nov 19

Cheers Trailrage

Edited by TRAILRAGE
fat fingers
  • Informative/Useful 1

The error in colour is what it is, if you're that bothered about it - get it resprayed. 

I'm really happy with how well these have come out - top marks to Hattons for getting them delivered before Christmas. 

Looking forward to receiving my 66789 over the next couple of days. 

• RMweb Gold

8 minutes ago, AlexHolt said:

Well they've still done it wrong.

The side shown on the hattons photo should be the same as the 2nd picture you linked. They've done the sides the same instead of different on each side. Guess its not a problem if you only view it from one side though.

To settle this we need to see pictures of both sides of the Hattons 66

• RMweb Gold

I didn’t want to get into the whole ripping the loco apart before it’s even arrived but having driven the colas 66 for quite a number of years I have lots of pics of them and I think I can see the issue unfortunately photobucket is down so I’ll have to link to someone else’s flickr

What was bugging me is the spacing for the ‘colas Railfreight’ lettering appears correct on both sides as the GHT is on the separate body panel but as we can see the orange/yellow colour intersection on the single grille side is out, as pointed out it should go through the L, going back to hattons dave’s pic a couple of pages back you can just about make out the orange at the bottom of the body shell finishes near as dammit half way between the 2 sandboxes, compare it to this picture......

66850 Carlisle R00781 D210bob D90

copyright Robert on Flickr 

you can see the orange finishes nearer to the front sandbox, therefore I personally recon there is too much orange on that side 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, big jim said:

I didn’t want to get into the whole ripping the loco apart before it’s even arrived but having driven the colas 66 for quite a number of years I have lots of pics of them and I think I can see the issue unfortunately photobucket is down so I’ll have to link to someone else’s flickr

What was bugging me is the spacing for the ‘colas Railfreight’ lettering appears correct on both sides as the GHT is on the separate body panel but as we can see the orange/yellow colour intersection on the single grille side is out, as pointed out it should go through the L, going back to hattons dave’s pic a couple of pages back you can just about make out the orange at the bottom of the body shell finishes near as dammit half way between the 2 sandboxes, compare it to this picture......

66850 Carlisle R00781 D210bob D90

copyright Robert on Flickr 

you can see the orange finishes nearer to the front sandbox, therefore I personally recon there is too much orange on that side 

Think you've got it spot on there. I hadn't noticed it was the angle of dangle in the wrong place!

Cheers Trailrage

At the end of the day, the model from what I’ve seen in the photos and at Warley looks fantastic and highly detailed. Hats off to the Hattons team for getting 2 of the 3 control option pre-orders flown in (at no additional cost to us) processed and at least shipped with a decent chance of getting them to the customers by Christmas! 

I suspect paint shades is probably one of the hardest things to get right and checked in the development stages over the actual engineering given monitors resolution, quality, lighting conditions etc etc that has been mentioned before. 

Regards

Ali

• Agree 2

Looking forward to seeing people’s models here, as I cannot decide could I live with the tooling errors pointed out before.  

As for the Colas livery, looks OK to me...personally. Bit of fun below, spot the difference: 

A0F33D8F-40E3-4C71-8D04-DEA215B4FFD4.jpeg.7400e7da8554b1e584cab3143f77fe98.jpeg
22F31EB1-E190-4795-9599-8CB626409E44.jpeg.a8d91bff9766541add294e55602b79d0.jpeg

Damn it! I genuinely now feel the Bachmann 66 isn’t all that bad! Starting to regret selling them all off to fund Hattons take. I genuinely do not know what to do. Livery application, that last attention to detail is important and clearly the Bachmann team win in that department. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the issue is the font size..

rivet hat on..

the top of the letter “c” is  3 ribs from the start of the black above it, and the bottoms of the letters 3 are from the bottom.

on the model It’s not clear how many ribs are above the “C” but it’s a lot more than 3 on both sides, but it’s correctly aligned on the 4th rib up.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

Personally I'm not in the market for these as i simply cannot afford to change again so sticking with my Bachmann models. I also have no interest in rubbishing the model either. Colours look good to me, its just the details wrong.

Cheers Trailrage 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I think the issue is the font size..

rivet hat on..

the top of the letter “c” is  3 ribs from the start of the black above it, and the bottoms of the letters 3 are from the bottom.

on the model It’s not clear how many ribs are above the “C” but it’s a lot more than 3 on both sides, but it’s correctly aligned on the 4th rib up.

Having applied Colas decals (from two different suppliers)  to 37, 47, 56, 60, 66, 67 and 70 and a couple of Mk1 barrier vehicles, I agree that there seem to be variations within the font weight/sizing/spacing.

Although minimal,, the collective minor bits of milimetres add up over 16 letters and spacing

• Like 1