Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

I’m going to put my foot through the screen and send hattons the bill! 

Joking apart I wonder if the hattons 66 were looking in previous posts, including hattons Dave’s colour comparison at is a pre-production one and the font etc on the finished one is correct, all will become clear as people start to receive them and put pics up 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

DSC_0590_1.JPG.1a4c20df5fe3bee754ef793f8f95445c.JPG

I had a knock at the door at 8am and excitedly opened package to find Hattons box unfortunately when I removed from box I noticed something in clear insert so I carefully removed loco from plastic to find 2 rotating axel covers loose and fuel tank detached. the problem is that there are 3 rotating axle covers missing! while I have glued many fuel tanks back on (mainly Heljan) I am missing one cover and would not be putting any glue near an axle if they were all in box. So looks like mine going back to Hattons and I suggest opening box on flat surface to catch any parts if loose. the livery does look good and detail is impressive 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, shunny said:

So looks like mine going back to Hattons and I suggest opening box on flat surface to catch any parts if loose. the livery does look good and detail is impressive 

Sorry to hear that. It is always a bit deflating to get something new & have to send it back for a replacement.

I have had to send something back to Hattons in the past & their service was excellent. I am sure you'll have a replacement in a few days.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 96701 said:

Well that's it then. As soon as my Colas liveried 66 arrives from Hattons, I'm not even going to open it, I'm going to send it back. Not!

I've got mine too, and definitely keeping it.

Patriot arrived at 10:50 - is absolutely perfect.

It's not totally silent as Sam intimated but is VERY SMOOTH and quiet - slow is as good as ANYTHING I've seen on this forum - including that continental locomotive video.

Weight - electronic kitchen scales (within 2g accuracy I reckon) = 742g.

Dapol Class 68 = 698g.

It's on 'display' now, alongside the 68, Royal Scot and my TTS DoG.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

My Freightliner 66502 Basford Hall arrived this morning, beautifully packed and all in one piece. Not had a chance to run it, or check it carefully against photographs or the 'opposition' but it looks very very impressive. Many thanks Hattons!

all the best and Christmas Greetings to all!

Godfrey

• Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 08:36, adb968008 said:

Producing the video can take many more hours than filming it, which means “playing” with it is just a short part of the time.

You realise many of these people get paid by Google / YouTube to upload these videos right?
Okay, they get paid for X amount of subscribers and views.

But remember, filming and editing is a hobby to them.  Nobody is going to spend hours doing it for no personal gain.

I understand from Hattons, they've ploughed loads of money into this and want it to be as successful as possible, so in this day and age, sending them to reviewers for YouTube videos / free advertising, good on them.

But seriously, don't paint YouTube uploaders as people who do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

The majority do not.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

53 minutes ago, 96701 said:

Going to have to get the tweezers out to pop the handrail back where it belongs. It was me that knocked it out.

DSCN3004.JPG

DSCN3005.JPG

DSCN3008.JPG

DSCN3011.JPG

DSCN3013.JPG

Oh dear hattons will have to do body replacements now. At £150 that’s a shocking mistake. Glad I did not order that one with sound 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

GBRf 66731 arrived, there are no lose axle boxes or any other visible damage. Looks great, I love the details. At the moment it will go into my display cabinet, first trial on Tuesday on the club layout (DC). To all who are miserable, cancle their orders or not ordering because of all the "errors": You miss out. Its a great model.

49252270333_2ccec5b9be_b.jpg20191221_115143 

49252944712_3d184505d2_b.jpg20191221_115525 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Walkes07 said:

Oh dear hattons will have to do body replacements now. At £150 that’s a shocking mistake

Oh get a grip on yourself, it may not be correct but it's not 'shocking', most people won't notice it and it's not for you to determine that they 'will have to' do anything.

• Like 4
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

You realise many of these people get paid by Google / YouTube to upload these videos right?
Okay, they get paid for X amount of subscribers and views.

But remember, filming and editing is a hobby to them.  Nobody is going to spend hours doing it for no personal gain.

I understand from Hattons, they've ploughed loads of money into this and want it to be as successful as possible, so in this day and age, sending them to reviewers for YouTube videos / free advertising, good on them.

But seriously, don't paint YouTube uploaders as people who do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

The majority do not.

Sorry to weigh in with an OT post but a lot of this is simply unfair and some of it factually misleading.

Firstly YouTuber’s income from the host site & advertising is incredibly small for anything other than those of exceptionally large followers. Most ‘casual’ uploaders, and by that I mean those who don’t practically dedicate their life to it gain very little financially this way, this despite in many instances several thousand followers.

Secondly the majority of hobby genre uploaders DO do it from the ‘goodness of their own heart’ if this broadly covers wanting to put content out there to other viewers of a similar interest for the love of it, as their generally is very little financial gain relative to the effort and hours invested in producing quality material people want to engage with.

Sorry to drag this off topic!

Edited by Foden
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

15 hours ago, AlexHolt said:

Having looked at more photos, the side with two grills, one at each end should have it going through the A. The side with the single grill on the end should have it going through the L. The hattons product page and also hattons posting here a few pages back have proven that its incorrect. Shouldn't this have been picked up on sooner?

Some photos of the model compared with the real life version. Difference is pretty obvious. Both sides of the model and real loco are pictured for comparison.

Side 1: Incorrect

7ceeac737247e721bfbdd4bf9fd779ca.jpg

af86c4bd97232003399143d99daf8b39.jpg

Side 2: Correct

200ba58ded33827b62339c8ac492ef5f.png

3c92023e5e99df055eb20a6a701e31e1.jpg

The diagonal of the colour join appears to be correct. The issue is the Colas Rail Freight branding is both too narrow in width and too short in height on the model. If you look back at the post that Hattons posted comparing the Colas 66 colour with the Bachmann Colas 37 colour, the size difference in the branding between the two models is obvious. If the 66 had the same sized branding (spacing aside) as the 37 shown in the Hattons photo, I reckon it would have been spot on.

Edited by North Star Depot

5 minutes ago, AlexHolt said:

The diagonal angle is correct yes. But the orange is too far over, should end just after the first of the sandboxes but ends nearly halfway between the two. Theres definitely an error in the painting but only on one side, the other side is correct and matches the real loco. Looking closer at it something doesn't seem right with the branding either, the positioning is off and it does look a little narrow and short.

This picture shows it quite clearly in comparison with the production model that was posted earlier.

D5EWb9qWwAEw0h3.jpg:large

7ceeac737247e721bfbdd4bf9fd779ca.jpg

Agree. From counting the side ribs on the prototype, the branding on the model should extend two ribs more in height to match the prototype. Can only assume the same difference in size exists in the width of the branding on the model. This is one of the reasons that it looks wrong. Also, the slight angle difference in the diagonal between the paint shades on model versus prototype, as you mentioned.

Edited by North Star Depot

4 hours ago, shunny said:

DSC_0590_1.JPG.1a4c20df5fe3bee754ef793f8f95445c.JPG

I had a knock at the door at 8am and excitedly opened package to find Hattons box unfortunately when I removed from box I noticed something in clear insert so I carefully removed loco from plastic to find 2 rotating axel covers loose and fuel tank detached. the problem is that there are 3 rotating axle covers missing! while I have glued many fuel tanks back on (mainly Heljan) I am missing one cover and would not be putting any glue near an axle if they were all in box. So looks like mine going back to Hattons and I suggest opening box on flat surface to catch any parts if loose. the livery does look good and detail is impressive 

My '789' arrive too this morning. It just has one displaced axle cover that although is in the box is proofing very difficult to relocate as it doesn't simply push back in. Coincidentally I'm driving past Hattons later today so will pop in for a swap.

6 minutes ago, AlexHolt said:

For £150 you'd expect the model to be nothing short of perfect, its a lot of money for a single locomotive.

£150 is a par for the course price now.

If the only issue here is a small livery application issue that most of us wouldn't notice, I am looking at the two comparative pics and it doesn't shout out at me still then It's just one of those things I think.

Wouldn't stop me buying the model if 'modern' modern image is your thing, there are plenty of other pluses to the model to outweigh the livery error.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Here are my initial four models.  Arrived one day earlier than expected via DPD.  Certainly cannot complain about the fast turnaround/delivery, many thanks.  Now looking forward to examining the models in more detail. 

Hattons_Class_66_x_4.JPG.020ba7a2f5fae6e4f698e2f5323a3a49.JPG

cheers

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 3

Here's a close-up of my Patriot - absolutely superb!!

If I remember back to my - sold - Bachmann Freightliner, the green seems a little brighter, but I'm no expert in which is correct, and certainly not bothered!!

For those interested in faults and failures, one buffer was a little stiff, but a little 'light exercise' had it springing in and out without problem.

Al.

H66_P_-_20191221-1.jpg

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 3

Sorry but the Colas 66 is wrong. They haven’t managed to capture where the peak of all three colours meet. Simple project managing that’s failed here.  Apart from this issue they look fantastic, but parts should not be loose and rattling around in the packaging. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Walkes07 said:

Oh dear hattons will have to do body replacements now. At £150 that’s a shocking mistake. Glad I did not order that one with sound 

I don't find it shocking at all. If you don't want this model, don't buy it. But please get over it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Whilst it is a bit sad that bits fall of new models, I suppose the more tiny bits that go into the detail, the more likelihood of accidents. Fortunately these things are normally rectifiable one way or another, and Hattons have an excellent record of customer service. At least the faults are not on the scale of Bachmann building a modified Hall with the front end of an unmodified Hall. To those who berate the livery shades and lettering size/ placement, you must decide whether you can or cannot live with them. The option not to buy is always there. All that said, when you look at the loco it is magnificent and I for one would not let minor discrepancies put me off purchasing the two I have on order. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1