Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, amarr40 said:

Sorry but the Colas 66 is wrong. They haven’t managed to capture where the peak of all three colours meet. Simple project managing that’s failed here.  Apart from this issue they look fantastic, but parts should not be loose and rattling around in the packaging. 

The three colours do not meet at the peak on the prototype, so I am at a loss as to what you mean. 

Roy

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, amarr40 said:

Apart from this issue they look fantastic, but parts should not be loose and rattling around in the packaging. 

It simply isn't possible to build detailed models that don't occasionally suffer from the handling by the last mile delivery companies.

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Mine arrived without anything being loose - one buffer was a bit tight, but that's resolved.

One comment, it was obvious the bogies had rotated a little in transit - retainers like Dapol use could have been helpful!!

Al.

Similar experience. My two arrived courtesy of Royal Mail this afternoon - one bogie had rotated a little but apart from that all axleboxes in place, no bits fallen off, and impressed by both the weight and the detail of them. A good incentive to repair my test track and give them a run !

A short running session featuring the eagerly anticipated Hattons Model Railways Class 66, in both EWS and DRS Liveries.
In this video we put the 66 though it paces, with the model tested on an impressive rake of 26 Hornby Pullman Car, equivalent to 4.160KG! Fine out how it fared... 
Hope you enjoy!

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It’s a tad embarrassing if that is a colas c@ck up as didn’t they stand right next to that and use it for the sound ....

either way you takes your choice.

if the reviews are favourable on here, I’ll get an EWS one, need some close up S though 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rembrow said:

I'm just sitting transfixed alongside the track, head going round and round, watching the rotating axle boxes and sighing 'wow'. Not sure if I can recover normality.

I now have a vision of you sat there like the girl off the exorcist! 

Edited by big jim
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi, 

Sorry to see the comment about any axleboxes which have come loose in transit. As they have been fitted independent from the bogie frame, they are quite easy to reattach with superglue. I would recommend using a cyanoacrylate superglue. For a full step by step instruction guide, please click HERE

If any of the axleboxes are missing, or you have any other issues with the model, please get in touch with our helpdesk on 0151 733 3655 or info@hattons.co.uk. 

Cheers, 

Dave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

My 789 arrived today :D Hattons didn't have anything on the box or label to identify it as a train, which was useful given SWMBO answered the door. Assumed it was another Xmas delivery.

Dapol-esque packing, which is good. Out of the box and on the bench it looks great. Under the magnifying worklamp the following was apparent:

• a few glue marks and 1 very small finger mark - all on bogies/frame where it was black
  • slight white dot on one side next to the TOPS number
  • the white coating/paint on some of the door handrails had come off

Other than that it looks excellent. Detail on the bogies and frame is excellent, great view into the cab, appears well put together and overall looks really great. Nameplates are straight and level and no glue overrun etc. No rub in the paint from packaging like Bachmann 66's (a problem with the Tube Night and Day ones at least)  The items listed above were only seen on a detailed inspection under a brightly lit magnifier. At normal range little or none of this is visible.

My personal benchmark for model D&E at the moment is the Dapol OO 68019 in TPE, which is exquisite and covered in fine detail parts and printing. Given the 66 is rather less 'busy' than the 68 in the fine detail tampo printing and painting department (ignoring the debate about core livery shades!), the 66 is a very good representation of the real thing and at or very close to Dapol's quality on the 68. I really like this model and am very happy at the price. Well done Hattons.

Haven't run it yet, off to set up the test track now.

UPDATE: first run on my test track, which is a large loop of Roco Geoline on the living room carpet! Smooth and quiet even at low speeds from the off. Nice.

FURTHER UPDATE: Lifted it up to put on track and an axlebox cover fell out. Will look at it later.

Edited by ruggedpeak
Running update.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

A short running session featuring the eagerly anticipated Hattons Model Railways Class 66, in both EWS and DRS Liveries.
In this video we put the 66 though it paces, with the model tested on an impressive rake of 26 Hornby Pullman Car, equivalent to 4.160KG! Fine out how it fared... 
Hope you enjoy!

Looks superb, especially the head on shots, the model captures the muscular look of the real thing. Haulage capacity looks handy too!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 96701 said:

I don't find it shocking at all. If you don't want this model, don't buy it. But please get over it.

I’ve got 8 sounds on Order. Already over it. Was hoping to sell my Bachmann colas 66. Put it towards Hattons colas 66 eventuality. That’s all just hope they correct it if hattons announce another batch. The livery is fine just writing on one side is in the wrong place. 

Glad those of you who have received yours already are on the whole very happy. Have been reading about all the excitement here and on Facebook etc. However on contacting Hattons about mine (which I pre-ordered in October 2018 - I.e. 14 months ago) I was told that I wouldn’t be getting mine until January. It’s a DCC ready Freightliner Powerhaul loco, ‘Patriot’ which I know some have received already.

There are several issues with this.

1) Why have Hattons not emailed customers who won’t be receiving their DCC ready Class 66s until January to notify them?

2) What basis have Hattons used to determine who gets their locos now, and who doesn’t?
3) Why did they make a promise about delivery on 2 December when surely they would have known that not enough were being shipped to fulfil pre-orders made before the deadline?

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Who else has had the same bad experience?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It is indeed a pity that you have found it necessary to open your account on this forum in negative mode.Surely the best way to resolve any issues that you have with Hattons is to contact them directly rather than display them on a public forum. Hattons Dave ,if approached in reasonable manner will doubtlessly be able to explain 

8 minutes ago, Fred Rich said:

Glad those of you who have received yours already are on the whole very happy. Have been reading about all the excitement here and on Facebook etc. However on contacting Hattons about mine (which I pre-ordered in October 2018 - I.e. 14 months ago) I was told that I wouldn’t be getting mine until January. It’s a DCC ready Freightliner Powerhaul loco, ‘Patriot’ which I know some have received already.

There are several issues with this.

1) Why have Hattons not emailed customers who won’t be receiving their DCC ready Class 66s until January to notify them?

2) What basis have Hattons used to determine who gets their locos now, and who doesn’t?
3) Why did they make a promise about delivery on 2 December when surely they would have known that not enough were being shipped to fulfil pre-orders made before the deadline?

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Who else has had the same bad experience?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

It is indeed a pity that you have found it necessary to open your account on this forum in negative mode.Surely the best way to resolve any issues that you have with Hattons is to contact them directly rather than display them on a public forum. Hattons Dave ,if approached in reasonable manner will doubtlessly be able to explain 

I did contact them directly via their website chat function and the response I got was far from satisfactory hence my post above. They did apologise but gave no reasoning as to why mine specifically was not one of the ‘chosen’ orders.

My intention is to make positive contributions, but to be honest I thought this was an appropriate forum to express my frustration and disappointment.

More than happy to quote the exchange to give context if you like?

Edited by Fred Rich
Additional info
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 minutes ago, Fred Rich said:

I did contact them directly via their website chat function and the response I got was far from satisfactory hence my post above. They did apologise but gave no reasoning as to why mine specifically was not one of the ‘chosen’ orders.

My intention is to make positive contributions, but to be honest I thought this was an appropriate forum to express my frustration and disappointment.

More than happy to quote the exchange to give context if you like?

When did you preorder your model? They might be doing it as first come first serve which would surely be the fairest way to do it if they couldn't meet demand

5 minutes ago, Br60066 said:

When did you preorder your model? They might be doing it as first come first serve which would surely be the fairest way to do it if they couldn't meet demand

October 2018, which makes me question whether they’re working on a first come first served basis.

Would it help if I threw my dolls out of a pram? :P

Edited by Fred Rich
Correcting typo