Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

10 hours ago, AlexHolt said:

The hattons product page doesnt show 66740 with nameplates, neither do any of the samples. Was it supposed to have any nameplates at all? 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/365830/hattons_originals_h4_66_026_class_66_66740_in_gbrf_europorte_livery_sarah_/stockdetail.aspx

Well the fact the loco is named Sarah, the description on the website says 66740 GBRF Europorte Sarah and the detailed description says etched nameplates where applicable does tend to suggest that the loco should have the plates

70177CFC-45E7-4600-8864-14579207AF18.png

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Indeed, I am not getting my sound 66 until next year. Nothing was said when ordering that sound would come later. Am I complaining, absolutely not, it arrives when it does. For Hattons to have gone to the efforts that they have to get those they have received out before Christmas is first rate. 

Models have come on leaps and bounds in the last few years, yes customers’ expectations have risen equally, but I find some of the negativity astounding. 

Roy

Negativity indeed,Roy. Might be a good idea for some who inhabit this community to re-read forum rules before posting.That is,assuming they read them in the first place.I will echo your praise for Hattons.I was told I would receive mine prior to Christmas and I did.This after a diligent and patient phone call from them to update my cc.

A word of praise here for their Dave who is keeping us in the loop.Someone has posted about good customer after care.I echo that.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

I ordered 66789 the basic version back in January 2019 and updated my credit card details on 9th December. The lady on the phone informed me that I should check my mail for an update towards the end of that week (no response) I had hoped to take delivery before Christmas like others but this hasn’t happened. I rang Hattons yesterday and asked for an explanation,  it’s clear that not enough of these were sent to the UK. I will wait now for the next batch to arrive but this has tainted my view of pre ordering any other products with them. Still waiting for my call back from the Manager as I requested. In the meantime enjoy your 66’s and most importantly Christmas with our families and friends. Happy Christmas everyone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I disagree.

most do it for no gain. Its still an amateur site at heart... the problem with being an amateur is no one finds your videos.

there are many who do it for gain, but I think your stat is the wrong way around, as those who watch the most, are watching the channels with most views...those who are amateurs are missed.

its all relative though.. in our hobby theres no “big” numbers, if you've reached 5 figures you’ve done well... I doubt theres anyone with a million viewers of model railways.

getting paid a fraction of a cent per viewing, your not getting rich in model railways.

Youtube isn't a get rich quick in model railways thing..., Youtube even told me once if I added ads to one of my videos I could have earned 25c... excuse me being so bold but going to the toilet during working hours earns me more than that, let alone waiting for 2 years of viewings to earn it, after spending  a few hours or so making it, and a £100+ in travel etc going to see and film it initially over a weekend originally.

i’ll give you my stats... Ive over 120 videos on my channel... after 5 years, some have gotten 500 views... some are still under 20... but one... is at over 40,000, 2nd rated on google...

and no one paid me a brass cent, I don't advertise.. i purely do it for fun, (i’m neutral),  and my 9 year old daughter loves helping me do it... i’ll release my next one on Christmas day.. I hope I get 50 views and as it has recorded music, its copyright pending... but its about trains.

I (we) do it purely for fun, so people like you can criticise it and tell us how bad it is, the difference being we got off our armchairs, soaked ourselves in the environment, had lots of fun & shared the experience, hitting “dislike” doesnt matter, we can always hide the video, but we ultimately did have the memories, and that can't be taken away.

your too negative, not everyone on youtube is Taylor Swift, and most Dont care for model or real trains...

its a minority not a majority, youtube is still predominantly about fun, and those will be the most honest videos.

I agree that many channels on YT are done for the fun of it. I have no idea what proportion of channels monetise or not.

To me, at least, that's not really the point. The point is transparency.

As I noted before, many channels who monetise their content (other than through YT's ad system) do so quite transparently. They make it clear that if you use a certain retailer or product that they will receive remuneration. That's absolutely fine, and if it helps them create more videos, then I'm all for it.

But in the case of at least one reviewer, this was not the case, at least in my view. I've always assumed that Sam's Trains name-drops Hattons simply because he buys most of his stuff there, or at least the item that he's reviewing at the time. I didn't realise that he's getting kick-backs from Hattons. Apparently, he notes that he's an affiliate in some text on the site. But that requires the viewer to (a) be able to see it; (b) read it*; and (c) understand what 'affiliate' means and its potential implications. His relationship with Hattons is not transparent, at least in my opinion, YMMV.

* Because we all read the fine print, don't we? ;)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, amarr40 said:

I ordered 66789 the basic version back in January 2019 and updated my credit card details on 9th December. The lady on the phone informed me that I should check my mail for an update towards the end of that week (no response) I had hoped to take delivery before Christmas like others but this hasn’t happened. I rang Hattons yesterday and asked for an explanation,  it’s clear that not enough of these were sent to the UK. I will wait now for the next batch to arrive but this has tainted my view of pre ordering any other products with them. Still waiting for my call back from the Manager as I requested. In the meantime enjoy your 66’s and most importantly Christmas with our families and friends. Happy Christmas everyone.

picard-facepalm.jpg.e9d05be89c4a2f73418db51e22a5ed80.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 13

24 minutes ago, big jim said:

Now that I do like! The yellow ends look better than the pre production sample, I may have to get one of those 

Indeed Jim, shades seem to have been amended

It looks “right” to me, 66762 is pretty much the same too

I’m not quite sure how this works. I was looking at hattons inter web and its doesn’t seem if you can predorder the entire range , just 18 locos including the big pink ?

the others that are coming, is it like crowd funding, only built to the number of orders?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, truffy said:

Apparently, he notes that he's an affiliate in some text on the site. But that requires the viewer to (a) be able to see it; (b) read it*; and (c) understand what 'affiliate' means and its potential implications. His relationship with Hattons is not transparent, at least in my opinion, YMMV.

* Because we all read the fine print, don't we? ;)

If it's there then Sam has done his bit.

If you didn't read it that is your own fault not Sam's nor Hattons'

If you come across a word that you don't understand then look it up in a dictionary.

Enjoy your 66.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Well I couldn't wait for Tuesday when I would have access to the club DC layout, so I chipped my loco. 

I used a Zimo MX644D and an ESU 3W speaker.

49258134521_44e6c7fbc8_b.jpg20191222_121524 

The chip was an empty one, I loaded the 66 sound file from the Zimo database on it. 

I will need to play a bit with re-mapping to get all the light functions out (which are now not present in all details now) but I am quite happy with the sound. Of course the factory fitted ones will be better, this is something which doesn't need to be discussed. 

If you click on the picture below you will get to the video on flickr.

49257942313_80518d3339_k.jpg20191222_132428 

Merry Christmas!

Edited by Vecchio
hint added, video changed
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I’m not quite sure how this works. I was looking at hattons inter web and its doesn’t seem if you can predorder the entire range , just 18 locos including the big pink ?

the others that are coming, is it like crowd funding, only built to the number of orders?

Hi Rob,

The full range of locos and liveries as detailed on https://hattons.co.uk/class66#variations are available to order by clicking on the links in the Variations section and adding as a pre-order. They are not showing as available on our website using the search feature at the moment due to the way our live-updating stock system works.

If you are having difficulty in ordering the Class 66 online, our Customer Experience Helpdesk team are available on 0151 733 3655 to assist you or take your order over the phone for any of the Class 66 variants.

Regards, Dave

Edited by Hattons Dave
  • Thanks 1

Afternoon all,

Very impressed with my 66 088 and 66 593 DCC fitted models. I had a review up on the YT channel by mid afternoon yesterday, mainly for those who want to see what the models are like before buying - especially as the main shipment arrive in the new year so plenty of time to decide.

Only thing I have an issue with is that the tail lights on Function 2 don't latch like those on F1. No problems with the Marker lights or the day/night headlamp latching though, so just wondering if its an error on the chip and if anyone knows how I can adjust CV values so it latches. It is like this on both of the models just to add. 

Other than that, I cant fault it - especially being able to out perform Bachmann models by being able to pull my full 13 wagon consist of HIA wagons AND two pairs of MRA wagon sets together! Hoping the lighting functions will still work when I add my LokSound V5 with Jamie Goodman sound to it.

Cheers,

Jordan

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bearwood West Yard said:

Afternoon all,

Very impressed with my 66 088 and 66 593 DCC fitted models. I had a review up on the YT channel by mid afternoon yesterday, mainly for those who want to see what the models are like before buying - especially as the main shipment arrive in the new year so plenty of time to decide.

Only thing I have an issue with is that the tail lights on Function 2 don't latch like those on F1. No problems with the Marker lights or the day/night headlamp latching though, so just wondering if its an error on the chip and if anyone knows how I can adjust CV values so it latches. It is like this on both of the models just to add. 

Other than that, I cant fault it - especially being able to out perform Bachmann models by being able to pull my full 13 wagon consist of HIA wagons AND two pairs of MRA wagon sets together! Hoping the lighting functions will still work when I add my LokSound V5 with Jamie Goodman sound to it.

Cheers,

Jordan

I watched your video, thanks for that.

i liked the weight comparison between Bachmann and hattons - can you tell me the last time your hands were calibrated for this ? 

( only kidding ;) )

the ex EWS version looks nice 

Edited by rob D2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I watched your video, thanks for that.

i liked the weight comparison between Bachmann and hattons - can you tell me the last time your hands were calibrated for this ? 

( only kidding ;) )

the ex EWS version looks nice 

Calibration of hands is easily done by pressing the belly button and lifting a kilogram weight in each hand ;) 

Just need to get hold of another Bachmann EWS 66 when the market floods with them, grime it up and whack it on an RHTT set. These newer models are too nice to be caked in sleeper grime lol.

1 minute ago, Bearwood West Yard said:

Calibration of hands is easily done by pressing the belly button and lifting a kilogram weight in each hand ;) 

Just need to get hold of another Bachmann EWS 66 when the market floods with them, grime it up and whack it on an RHTT set. These newer models are too nice to be caked in sleeper grime lol.

I was actually thinking of using my two EWS ones with a set of snowploughs. They won’t be worth much now and I’m not sure I can be arsed fitting coupling bars so I can have the shedgongs on both ends 

• Like 1

Nice pix by Eric709. Just for fun (are we allowed to do that on here;?) I put these two (Eric's and a GBRf official one) side by side. Ignore the colours (neither are outside in daylight) and that they are not the same loco. However, it does show that for something that only stands a couple of inches tall, Hattons have done very well! I'm sure we'll see some nice detailed pictures taken outdoors (or under balanced light) from others very soon. EDIT: Just found a pic of 66740 by Carl S Watson at Eastleigh, from a different viewpoint... (and minus its fueltank)

1.jpg

2.jpg

eastleighworks27thjune20138.jpg

Edited by Mel_H
  • Like 6
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

If it's there then Sam has done his bit.

If you didn't read it that is your own fault not Sam's nor Hattons'

Colin, I understand that you are a Sam fan, and I think you realise that I am not. 

But none of that is relevant to the fact that it’s not up to the viewer to root out the relationship between a reviewer and the retailer/manufacturer of the product being reviewed. As at least one person on this thread has stated, the fine print may not always be visible, depending on the platform. Certainly YT varies depending on whether I view it on a mobile device, Windows browser, or Mac. 

That is why the reviewer should clearly state any commercial incentives that are relevant to how their opinion might be influenced. Why is that so difficult?

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, truffy said:

Colin, I understand that you are a Sam fan, and I think you realise that I am not. 

I wouldn't describe myself as a Sam fan. I'm just thinking that this whole debate about the "review by an affiliate" is being done to death. Like other pre orderable model locomotives, the vast majority of decisions to purchase a Hattons 66 were made before any reviews were published. This makes the review more of a piece of entertainment rather than important information upon which a purchase is made.

By the way I wasn't picking on your post on particular truffy: it just happened to be the most recent.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Bearwood West Yard said:

Afternoon all,

Cheers,

Jordan

The latching is controlled via your DCC systemand nothing to do with the decoder.

What system are you using?

If the system can only be "momentary" of F2 (I think the Gaugemaster prodigy is setup that way and unable to be changed), then the decoder could be remapped to use another F key.

The F key remapping will depend upon your decoder of choice.

If it's a Hattons decoder - I think CV36 is the one to change.

Note - the Loksound will have to be the full power 6 output "MKL" version - 58449

Edited by newbryford

Had my 66’s turn up and must also say that they are very impressive in looks, detail and performance. The only flaw I have with mine, I’ve only had time to test 3 of them at the moment but all 3 (66118, 66433 & 66502) have a rocking/wobbling motion as they trundle along the tracks (66118 suffering worse off) anyone else’s do this? They are extremely quiet therefore nothing is catching to create this motion.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, newbryford said:

The latching is controlled via your DCC systemand nothing to do with the decoder.

What system are you using?

If the system can only be "momentary" of F2 (I think the Gaugemaster prodigy is setup that way and unable to be changed), then the decoder could be remapped to use another F key.

The F key remapping will depend upon your decoder of choice.

If it's a Hattons decoder - I think CV36 is the one to change.

Note - the Loksound will have to be the full power 6 output "MKL" version - 58449

I'm using a Digitrax system, my controller is the DCS-51 and yes its the standard Hattons decoder, 6 function.