Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Bearwood West Yard said:

I'm using a Digitrax system, my controller is the DCS-51 and yes its the standard Hattons decoder, 6 function.

It's your controller that needs to have F2 set to latching.

US sound decoders often use F2 for the horn, so having it non-latching is quite useful.

(Hence why the GM Prodigy is non-latching F2 as it's a rebadged MRC system)

This thread refers to Digitrax systems and latching

So the problem is the DCC system and not the decoder

Edited by newbryford
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, newbryford said:

It's your controller that needs to have F2 set to latching.

US sound decoders often use F2 for the horn, so having it non-latching is quite useful.

(Hence why the GM Prodigy is non-latching F2 as it's a rebadged MRC system)

This thread refers to Digitrax systems and latching

Ah okay, that makes total sense now! Thanks for the link!

Just for the benefit of those who also use the Digitrax system and want to have tail lights at both ends for shunting operations, a bit of extra digging and I found to latch F2 just hold down F2 for a few seconds and hen hold down the Exit key for another few seconds. This will latch it. Pressing F2 again will unlatch it

Edited by Bearwood West Yard
  • Informative/Useful 1

43 minutes ago, Shoey said:

Had my 66’s turn up and must also say that they are very impressive in looks, detail and performance. The only flaw I have with mine, I’ve only had time to test 3 of them at the moment but all 3 (66118, 66433 & 66502) have a rocking/wobbling motion as they trundle along the tracks (66118 suffering worse off) anyone else’s do this? They are extremely quiet therefore nothing is catching to create this motion.

I have the same issue mentioned earlier and mine derails as well.

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived yesterday while I was away in Edinburgh.  A neighbour took the parcel in for me and handed it in today.     Loco was minus a buffer, however I found this had dropped out of the box during unpacking and it was easily re-attached.  Otherwise all good.   Only one "photter" at the lineside to record the arrival of 66 528 Madge Elliot here in her home town of Hawick.   Facing one way Madge coped well with all of my track.  The other way round disliked the Peco Setrack second radius curved point at the station throat.    This is no real problem as several other locos are similarly left or right handed.  It is easy to tell which way round is which by keeping the coupling on one end only and standard operating procedure will therefore be haul train from fiddle yard, shunt the trailing sidings and return light engine.    Indeed this is a vast improvement on the Bachmann class 66 which I quickly sold on due to banana bogies.  Very pleased with Hattons' offering!  

49259098322_32f6098ef7_c.jpg

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Just put 789 on the layout.You are immediately aware when handling it that this is different...very different.It’s heavy...very heavy and highly detailed with many intricate and delicate details.Nothing fell off...no bits in box.

Railing it alongside its Bachmann counterparts is a startling experience.You see parts of a 66 you never knew were there and the Bachmann is featherweight in comparison,good though we all know it is.

The finish is crisp,refined and intricate in its separately applied detail,especially the running gear,fuel tank etc .Details on the main body,paintwork,print work etc.are of the very highest standard ,brilliantly executed and eye catching .The cab and lighting..even on my dc ...is well done.

On the track...no wobble,no derail through all pointwork,36” radius.Quiet,smooth,effortlessly powerful  and responsive.Crawls beautifully..which I like in a model.I could watch it for hours,getting close to see the axles and their revolving covers...no gimmick this...then standing back to watch what is a showpiece with its blue and BR arrows,contrasting with the GBRf yellow glide its string of Redland Aggregates majestically around the layout.

Much has been debated about the cost of this eagerly awaited model. £150 plus is a lot to fork out.So the question is...are you getting that extra value ?   IMHO without question. This is a game changer in all respects.It takes modern image modelling to another level. Welcome to the 21st C.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Bearwood West Yard said:

Just for the benefit of those who also use the Digitrax system and want to have tail lights at both ends for shunting operations, a bit of extra digging and I found to latch F2 just hold down F2 for a few seconds and hen hold down the Exit key for another few seconds. This will latch it. Pressing F2 again will unlatch it

Found this for users of the DT400 series throttles on Digitrax's website, if it helps?

Latching/Unlatching F2 on Digitrax DT400 series throttles

Always wondered myself too!

Cheers,

Ixion.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shoey said:

Had my 66’s turn up and must also say that they are very impressive in looks, detail and performance. The only flaw I have with mine, I’ve only had time to test 3 of them at the moment but all 3 (66118, 66433 & 66502) have a rocking/wobbling motion as they trundle along the tracks (66118 suffering worse off) anyone else’s do this? They are extremely quiet therefore nothing is catching to create this motion.

I've not noticed this with mine.

Looking again at the production locomotive video I did see a wobble going around a curve once. Is this axlebox location related?

Al.

Edited by atom3624

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Just put 789 on the layout.You are immediately aware when handling it that this is different...very different.It’s heavy...very heavy and highly detailed with many intricate and delicate details.Nothing fell off...no bits in box.

Railing it alongside its Bachmann counterparts is a startling experience.You see parts of a 66 you never knew were there and the Bachmann is featherweight in comparison,good though we all know it is.

The finish is crisp,refined and intricate in its separately applied detail,especially the running gear,fuel tank etc .Details on the main body,paintwork,print work etc.are of the very highest standard ,brilliantly executed and eye catching .The cab and lighting..even on my dc ...is well done.

On the track...no wobble,no derail through all pointwork,36” radius.Quiet,smooth,effortlessly powerful  and responsive.Crawls beautifully..which I like in a model.I could watch it for hours,getting close to see the axles and their revolving covers...no gimmick this...then standing back to watch what is a showpiece with its blue and BR arrows,contrasting with the GBRf yellow glide its string of Redland Aggregates majestically around the layout.

Much has been debated about the cost of this eagerly awaited model. £150 plus is a lot to fork out.So the question is...are you getting that extra value ?   IMHO without question. This is a game changer in all respects.It takes modern image modelling to another level. Welcome to the 21st C.

Thank you Ian for your comments. By far the most sensible evaluation to date. I have 789 on order with sound fitted. Although comparisons are sometimes subjective it would be interesting to see the Hattons loco alongside the Bachmann loco, then (as you indicate)  we will see the definitive 66. The King is dead Long live the King.

• Funny 2

On 21/12/2019 at 12:23, AY Mod said:

Oh get a grip on yourself, it may not be correct but it's not 'shocking', most people won't notice it and it's not for you to determine that they 'will have to' do anything.

Not really a need for that sort of response is there? Would expect better for a moderator...

It is quite right that most won't care, and those that do, won't buy it. But it is a pretty substantial error. If I did a model that was wrong like that it'd soon be back.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

3 hours ago, Shoey said:

Havent run it yet but have noticed my 66528 does sit evenly in the track.

2 axles are in the air at one side causing it to rock.

not sure if it’s a case of assembly issue as havent had the time to fully investigate 

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Not really a need for that sort of response is there? Would expect better for a moderator...

It is quite right that most won't care, and those that do, won't buy it. But it is a pretty substantial error. If I did a model that was wrong like that it'd soon be back.

Presumably you'd expect the moderator to just let hysterical posting spiral out of control? If you want people competing to be ever more offended, there is Facebook.

Odd, since you admit that it's right, most won't care. We are just trying to keep things in perspective. There seem to be a lot of different opinions on this model and we'd like to hear all of them, not just those with the loudest voices. That's what moderators try to do. Thanks to those who have helpfully posted detailed info with photos to aid others making their decisions.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3

31 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Presumably you'd expect the moderator to just let hysterical posting spiral out of control? If you want people competing to be ever more offended, there is Facebook.

Odd, since you admit that it's right, most won't care. We are just trying to keep things in perspective. There seem to be a lot of different opinions on this model and we'd like to hear all of them, not just those with the loudest voices. That's what moderators try to do. Thanks to those who have helpfully posted detailed info with photos to aid others making their decisions.

Fair enough Phil; I just think that forums like this should actually be places where errors should be highlighted and challenged perhaps, and I feel that the moderator on this occasion perhaps was leaning towards the view that we should just accept errors, but I may be wrong. I'm not offended in any way. At the end of the day I don't think there is any need for the use of the phrase 'get a grip' in any context - its nice to be nice hey?

Edited by cairnsroadworks
  • Agree 5

Just checked on Hattons site to see if their 66 is any closer to going on sale and noticed they have drastically dropped the models available, last week you could chose from 111 variants and now its showing only 18

What's going on, anyone know.

Paul

My biggest issue with it is the lack of driver figure in the cab! What’s the point of all the detail if the train looks like it has a mind of its own. Has anyone tried fitting one and if so, is it an easy thing to do?

If you remove the body being careful of the detail attached to it you can very quickly remove the cab interior.  It's secured by two clips into the glazing.  Not sure which figures would be most suitable but it shouldn't be too difficult to get one to fit.

20191212_192321.jpg.74e7d7cb2fe5e239f138b5782d318806.jpg20191212_192402.jpg.69ebc367ba65dfa0ad8377fb55d0b0e1.jpg

Edited by richard w
  • Informative/Useful 2

15 minutes ago, Paul80 said:

Just checked on Hattons site to see if their 66 is any closer to going on sale and noticed they have drastically dropped the models available, last week you could chose from 111 variants and now its showing only 18

Paul

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=288#variations

29 minutes ago, Paul80 said:

Paul

Hattons Dave did explain earlier today or yesterday why it might not show everything. They won't go on general sale now until the full batch arrive by sea in jan/Feb, as previously discussed they didn't get enough airfreighted in to cover preorders of the initial 30 odd models that were first announced so now have to wait until the sea freighted models arrive. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, eric709 said:

Havent run it yet but have noticed my 66528 does sit evenly in the track.

2 axles are in the air at one side causing it to rock.

not sure if it’s a case of assembly issue as havent had the time to fully investigate 

I’m just wondering whether it may be the way the axle box covers have been glued in place causing the wheels sets to rock... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Bearwood West Yard said:

Afternoon all,

Very impressed with my 66 088 and 66 593 DCC fitted models. I had a review up on the YT channel by mid afternoon yesterday, mainly for those who want to see what the models are like before buying - especially as the main shipment arrive in the new year so plenty of time to decide.

Only thing I have an issue with is that the tail lights on Function 2 don't latch like those on F1. No problems with the Marker lights or the day/night headlamp latching though, so just wondering if its an error on the chip and if anyone knows how I can adjust CV values so it latches. It is like this on both of the models just to add. 

Other than that, I cant fault it - especially being able to out perform Bachmann models by being able to pull my full 13 wagon consist of HIA wagons AND two pairs of MRA wagon sets together! Hoping the lighting functions will still work when I add my LokSound V5 with Jamie Goodman sound to it.

Cheers,

Jordan

I noticed your FL 66 has a wobble to it when running, as others have noted with their 66's, has that settled down for you?

2 minutes ago, MM1991 said:

I noticed your FL 66 has a wobble to it when running, as others have noted with their 66's, has that settled down for you?

Yes, I’ve noticed that once or twice on 593 when initial running in took place but not so much on 88. It seems to have settled down now though - I have been running it a lot since it arrived yesterday so that might have done it or my eyes mustn’t be able to keep up with a scale 45mph intermodal. 66088 hasn’t suffered with anything par one of the rotating axle bearing covers falling off during running in. Yet to glue it back on but so far been lucky. No derailments either which I’m pleased about. 

Cheers,

Jordan

Turned my loco around and it will run over the points ok with the opposite end leading, however wobble appears to be worse. The one bogie appears to have more float than the other. I'm wondering whether the lead bogie needs to be loosened off a touch to allow a bit more float. I think I'll message Hatton's first for feedback.

16 hours ago, Shoey said:

I did a flat surface test on mine, using a glass plate, and found that not all wheels were in contact with the surface. The wheels on diagonally opposite sides of the two bogies were not in contact and the model was wobbling.

I traced the problem to the manner in which the bogies bear on the chassis. Normally the weight bearing surfaces are inwards of the bogie sides, allowing some side up and down movement to compensate for chassis distortion, however on the 66, the weight bearing is on top of the bogie sideframes, at the mid point, where they bear on prototypical plates on the edges of the chassis. This causes the chassis to be rigid side to side, there is still up and down movement of the bogies for inclines. I suspect that the chassis is slightly out of true and with the weight of the loco pushing down on the 4 bearing points, creates a wobble. I cured mine by careful filing of the two 'high' bear points on diagonally opposite sides, about 5 short strokes each with a diamond file. Keep testing on a flat glass surface after each couple of file strokes to avoid taking off too much. That has allowed the model to sit flat on all wheels. I do have one of the other chassis bear points that is not in contact with the bogie sideframe by a slight amount and I may pack it with thin plasticard, but it is not affecting the model staying straight on the track.

Edited by rembrow
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1