Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Hattons Dave said:

The full range of locos and liveries as detailed on https://hattons.co.uk/class66#variations are available to order by clicking on the links in the Variations section and adding as a pre-order. They are not showing as available on our website using the search feature at the moment due to the way our live-updating stock system works.

If you are having difficulty in ordering the Class 66 online, our Customer Experience Helpdesk team are available on 0151 733 3655 to assist you or take your order over the phone for any of the Class 66 variants.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the photos of your 66's so far. It's good to read all the reviews and feedback.

A quick update on the website, all of the Class 66's are now showing and available for pre-order at the following link: https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/siteresults.aspx?searchfield=H4-66- 
They were not showing over the weekend while the pre-orders were processed and shipped out, but they are now back up.

If anyone is still having difficulty in ordering the Class 66 online, our Customer Experience Helpdesk team are available on 0151 733 3655 to assist you or take your order over the phone. We're open today and tomorrow 0730-1800.

Cheers, Dave

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 23:38, adb968008 said:

I disagree.

All of which could have been said in a Message as it's not really relevant to the discussion, but rather a large reply directly aimed at showing me your disagreement on my statement.

It may not be their full time employment but it'll be a growing chunk - why else would some Model Railway YouTube uploaders be desperate for you to subscribe on every video?

However, good for you - I hope you got it out of your system.
Happy holidays!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys,

We hope you are enjoying your new Class 66s. We have become aware that H4-66-026 is missing its pre-fitted “Sarah” nameplates.

We are sorry for the omission of these plates and we will supply them to affected customers as soon as we can. If you are missing them, we will get back in touch with you once the parts have arrived at Hattons, ready to be shipped to you.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I was surprised at the difference in the Ews livery shade comparison on bear woods youtube vid.. Presuming the new hattons shade is 'correct' or closer, what did people think of Bachmanns shade at the time and did it kick up a fuss..? Can't say I noticed but then again my train set is far from 'perfect'.. 

Edited by Marcoblanco

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, john new said:

Although I won't be cancelling my order for the sound fitted SLS named one (66 957) now due for release just after Christmas the summary of reviews to date appears to be:-

1. Lighting etc., excellent
  2. Body fittings are flimsy and prone to damage/falling off, especially the axle-boxes.
  3. Haulage power is good but some are prone to derail when running in one direction but not the other.
  4. Also, there is a noticeable body wobble due to a chassis mount error (design error?) which may need the chassis attacking with a file to rectify.

For the price it is retailing at items 2-4 are disappointing news. 

Hi John,

2. We are aware of a small number of people that have received models with loose axle boxes but this doesn't appear to be a particularly common occurrence despite them essentially being a cosmetic working part. 

3. I've only been made aware of two models that have had any issues with derailing out of the thousands we have sent to date but I'll certainly be keeping my eye on things like this.

4. A small number appear to have been wobbly runners at first but after the customary running in period (one hour in each direction) this is eliminated.

I hope this helps clear things up.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Hattons Dave
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

why else would some Model Railway YouTube uploaders be desperate for you to subscribe on every video?

Because they are attention seekers.

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, MM1991 said:

Whilst I would never personally do videos of my layouts (I don’t even do many photos), I think some people who do and who have layouts that can’t leave home, see Youtube as the equivalent of exhibitions, showing off what they have created. Does that make them anymore “attention seeking” than people who take their creations to shows?

We live in a very different world to the one I grew up in, with social media now everywhere. I find this criticism of a different way of interacting somewhat bizarre. At least these people are interested in model railways and help to keep our hobby alive. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, MM1991 said:

Attention seekers? Not being funny but the amount of time it takes to film and edit videos easily takes a few hours. I feel some insecurity and jealousy with this comment. 

Many other youtubers who upload videos of their layouts do it to show off their creation. Relating to Roy’s comment, if you have a permanent set up layout you can’t exactly take it to shows. Besides the point of showing off your layout, how else can you learn tips and tricks with the likes of Scenery? I wouldn’t have the quality Scenery i do now without YouTube tutorials. And if it’s not about showing off your layout, it’s about having the videos to look back on and see how far you’ve come. It’s actually mind blowing to think how much you’ve achieved when you look back at where you were this time last year! 

If you’re on about Youtubers who deliberately comment on others videos to “subscribe because i subscribed” then ignore my little rant. However I deem it uncalled for to brand the YouTube modelling community “Attention Seekers” for simply having the confidence to video log what they’ve done and to want to share their knowledge with others. At the end of the day, you subscribe to someone if you like the channel content or want to see more of a particular layout, not because someone asks you too. Sorry but someone had to say it.. For the record, my channel isn’t really known that well and I like most do it as a hobby and don’t care about the “race to a million” or “I want to be like that popular one” that people think it is.

Rant over, now back to the topic of the Hattons 66’s :) 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi John,

We are aware of a small number of people that have received models with loose axle boxes but this doesn't appear to be a particularly common occurrence despite them essentially being a cosmetic working part. 

I've only been made aware of two models that have had any issues with derailing out of the thousands we have sent to date but I'll certainly be keeping my eye on things like this.

A small number appear to have been wobbly runners at first but after the customary running in period (one hour in each direction) this is eliminated.

I hope this helps clear things up.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks, always the problem with reviews - are they accurate. Looking forward to getting mine.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Marcoblanco said:

I was surprised at the difference in the Ews livery shade comparison on bear woods youtube vid.. Presuming the new hattons shade is 'correct' or closer, what did people think of Bachmanns shade at the time and did it kick up a fuss..? Can't say I noticed but then again my train set is far from 'perfect'.. 

I suspect that the shade has been extensively discussed elsewhere. I have a vague recollection it was discussed at the time. There seems to be a collective agreement that its a tricky shade to get right – whatever right is!. Certainly when freshly applied and seen in Sun, EWS red was quite bright. However it soon weathered, and lost its sheen. Thus it appeared a darker, and duller shade. It’s not something specific to EWS, but also seems to affect perceptions/reality about the shades of BR maroon and LMS red. 

On 22/12/2019 at 09:15, Ian Hargrave said:

Negativity indeed,Roy. Might be a good idea for some who inhabit this community to re-read forum rules before posting.That is,assuming they read them in the first place.I will echo your praise for Hattons.I was told I would receive mine prior to Christmas and I did.This after a diligent and patient phone call from them to update my cc.

A word of praise here for their Dave who is keeping us in the loop.Someone has posted about good customer after care.I echo that.

I’ve not bought one yet, so I’m not in a position to comment on it at all. However I must say that Hattons engagement on this forum and elsewhere is positive and to be welcomed. Others, such as Rapido, RevolutioN and Accurascale  also have (most welcome and refreshing) similar levels of engagement. It’s very time-consuming, and must be disheartening sometimes given the amount of criticism from a small but vocal minority. Well done Hatton’s, keep it up! 

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

2 hours ago, Bearwood West Yard said:

Attention seekers? Not being funny but the amount of time it takes to film and edit videos easily takes a few hours. I feel some insecurity and jealousy with this comment. 

Many other youtubers who upload videos of their layouts do it to show off their creation. Relating to Roy’s comment, if you have a permanent set up layout you can’t exactly take it to shows. Besides the point of showing off your layout, how else can you learn tips and tricks with the likes of Scenery? I wouldn’t have the quality Scenery i do now without YouTube tutorials. And if it’s not about showing off your layout, it’s about having the videos to look back on and see how far you’ve come. It’s actually mind blowing to think how much you’ve achieved when you look back at where you were this time last year! 

If you’re on about Youtubers who deliberately comment on others videos to “subscribe because i subscribed” then ignore my little rant. However I deem it uncalled for to brand the YouTube modelling community “Attention Seekers” for simply having the confidence to video log what they’ve done and to want to share their knowledge with others. At the end of the day, you subscribe to someone if you like the channel content or want to see more of a particular layout, not because someone asks you too. Sorry but someone had to say it.. For the record, my channel isn’t really known that well and I like most do it as a hobby and don’t care about the “race to a million” or “I want to be like that popular one” that people think it is.

Rant over, now back to the topic of the Hattons 66’s :) 

I am neither insecure nor jealous, why would I be?  I just dont see the point in showing off the latest purchase, the same a countless others.  And some of those that take twenty minutes to open a box need to have a long hard look at themselves.

Yes there are people who show their layouts off, and some are very very good. I will happily watch a well executed video on a layout, or construction thereof, and I know that these videos can take a long time to film and edit, however these are overshadowed by the attention-seeking you-tubers out there who want to show off their latest shiny toys and run them at supersonic speeds (or complain that they cant do supersonic speeds) on a Hornby trackmat layout.

Taking your review video into account, I mostly found it a good review, as it was able to show the running wobble which some people had noticed on their own examples.

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

This thread is wandering off course.If you wish to discuss the merits or demerits of You tube ,then by all means do so......elsewhere if you please. The focus is on the model..the message..not the medium..

Agree Ian - if you are not happy with youtubers don’t watch.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I am very happy with my Freightliner Patriot.

There is a huge amount of finer detailing parts fitted - none has fallen off, despite the 'all angles' viewing - it's one of several locomotives I have 'on view' alongside where I sit in the living room, so I'm continually moving it around to get different angles on it.

My loco's axle boxes seem to be quite solidly attached, but in time you never know if one or more may detach - probably not judging by the percieved impression of quality I have so far.

I especially like the extra clear windows - and viewing the detailing inside.

Al.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, Mel_H said:

I suspect that the shade has been extensively discussed elsewhere. I have a vague recollection it was discussed at the time. There seems to be a collective agreement that its a tricky shade to get right – whatever right is!. Certainly when freshly applied and seen in Sun, EWS red was quite bright. However it soon weathered, and lost its sheen. Thus it appeared a darker, and duller shade. It’s not something specific to EWS, but also seems to affect perceptions/reality about the shades of BR maroon and LMS red. 

OK thanks. Some interesting points brought re colour Interpretation due to eyes and light, camara angles etc. I've always wondered even if a exact paint is used how would it look on a miniature train from 2ft away compared to a real life sized loco covering a large area from 100ft: surely it wouldn't look correct.. Does paint need scaleing down a shade for models?? An interesting question. 

On 08/05/2018 at 12:55, Hilux5972 said:

Fantastic news. The Bachmann Model is long overdue an upgrade.

Saying that, in my view the Bachmann model still stands up very well, and I shall certainly not be replacing mine in the near future, instead adding missing liveries - Colas, BR Large Logo - to the existing fleet courtesy of the Hattons version.

The other thing that will only become clear, with time, is the reliability and technical back-up associated with this new version. Personally, I have always found the problem-free nature of most Bachmann products to be worth quite a bit, and certainly there are other locos coming from different manufacturers, some of whose past record is somewhat patchy, to challenge existing Bachmann ones; the same applies, I shall wait and see what is reported a few months down the road.

One livery I may go for is the Belmond Royal Scotsman, 66746. I caught this loco departing Middleton Towers with a sand train a couple of years ago, so know from what I've seen that they do the dirty work as well.

Regarding the issue of slightly wobbly running, could this be due in any way to axleboxes being slightly misaligned when glued onto the axles ? Mine seem OK, so I'm not going to try pulling them off to experiment; the other thing I'd be a little careful on is following the Hattons instructions for loose axlebox replacement. I don't know how much clearance there is between the axlebox and the hole on the bogie frame but I have visions of the axlebox stuck to both the axle and the bogie frame. I may well be wrong, but will wait until as and when I have an axlebox go walkies to find out.

P1060879_(2).JPG

P1060890 (2).JPG

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

I think it is excellent and proactive sales support by 'Hattons Dave'.

Even on YT, Hattons have produced a video explaining the new locomotives' little possible foibles and that axleboxes can be glued back in - and how to glue them.

Do you really think it's necessary?

If it was a steam locomotive, and a vacuum pipe came off, does it require a video to show you how to replace it?

What point I'm making?

I'm not certain!

It's great that Hattons were onto it immediately, but it's VERY MINOR in what is a superb game-changing locomotive I reckon.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I think it is excellent and proactive sales support by 'Hattons Dave'.

Even on YT, Hattons have produced a video explaining the new locomotives' little possible foibles and that axleboxes can be glued back in - and how to glue them.

Do you really think it's necessary?

If it was a steam locomotive, and a vacuum pipe came off, does it require a video to show you how to replace it?

What point I'm making?

I'm not certain!

It's great that Hattons were onto it immediately, but it's VERY MINOR in what is a superb game-changing locomotive I reckon.

Al.

Been on the Christmas Sherry already Atom? :jester:

Roy

• Funny 2