Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Good on you Danny for having the guts to admit you were wrong and apologise. Not many people do that these days.

Thank you for understanding. I really appreciate it.

I'm always happy to admit where I am wrong on something and I most definitely was here. All of the people that said that lighting, camera angles, looking at images on laptops/other devices and other factors contribute to how colour is perceived as well as the eye sight of individuals is definitely correct. I also don't really understand why I was comparing photos of final production models when none of the models had actually arrived with customers so that they could share their review/verdict. It just shows how wrong you can be when trying to use photos to form a judgement when I was so convinced the colour was incorrect and it wasn't and it was pretty much perfect. It's also concerning that my eye sight thought the orange was so dramatically different. I mean I know my eye sight wasn't good but I didn't know it was that bad haha. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Hi everyone, 

I hope that you are all well? 

I am commenting on this thread to say sorry for my previous misjudged comments on the last few pages. After looking at the past few pages and seeing the photos of the Colas 66s that customers have received the orange and indeed other colours on the Colas livery do look more accurate and pretty much perfect than what I was comparing them to previously which was the final production model photos on the individual Hattons product pages. To me now the Colas livery does look pretty much perfect especially when comparing to the previous Colas 66 produced by Bachmann. So yes I would like to apologise for trying to compare different photos on a laptop screen and trying to reach a conclusion regarding specific colours that way because as many have said it simply can't be done, as is proven with me misjudging the Colas orange so much. I would also like to apologise for the comment I made regarding the 'Colas Rail Freight' branding been too small. I have no proof that it is other than what my eyes were suggesting to me by looking at photos via a laptop screen. Again it was a big misjudgement on my part and I won't ever attempt to compare models and real life prototypes via a laptop screen again. 

I would also like to say that my previous comments were never meant to cause any upset or offense to Dave, anyone else who works at Hattons and specifically on the Class 66 project or anyone on this thread/site. I apologise if my previous comments did cause any upset or offense to anyone. This wasn't intentional and something that was initially caused by me asking a couple of questions to Dave which quickly became a debate between if colours were correct. A debate that I didn't intend to have but at the time I did think that the Colas orange did look at least slightly incorrect, thus I hope that others understand that I was commenting on this because I was perceiving the colour/s differently and comparing via photos on a laptop screen and not because I have anything against Hattons, any of their products and indeed their Class 66 project. 

That is the last time that I ever attempt to compare colours and the size of branding between models and the real life prototypes on a laptop screen. 

After just scanning the last few pages their are so many positive comments about the new Hattons Class 66 and I am pleased to hear this. As with every other manufacturer I wish Hattons all the best and every success in producing models and their new Class 66 does look to be a game changer and a significant upgrade from previous and current Class 66s on the market. 

I am hoping to buy some of the Freightliner versions in January/February when the main batch arrives. The GBRf Royal Scotsman pair are also very tempting, so I am very much looking forward to placing my order in the new year, once I have stopped been indecisive about which I want to buy and receiving the models in due course. The extent of different lighting options, the wealth of detail on the chassis and the etched grilles on the bodysides just shows how impressive these models are and for £150 as others have said it's a steal. 

Merry Christmas to Dave, everyone at Hattons and everyone on this thread/site. 

Thank you. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

No apologies needed really Danny, you are entitled to your opinion, but thank you all the same. Enjoy your Christmas. 

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Having seen 2 new class 66 running on our club layout yesterday evening I think there is some problem with the rotating axleboxes. Clubmate Tims lost 4 axleboxes but it runs very smooth. The axleboxes on my GBRf first are all on firm - but probably not glued into the centre. One bogie wobbles quite significant, as mentioned before by others on this forum. I didn't notice it before because I was running the engine only on a 1 metre programming track - to see the problem you need to run it on a larger layout. 

So I will check that more closely, and decide to either send it back or to remove the rotating axlebox and re-glue it (hopefully in the right place). 

Merry Christmas!

Edited by Vecchio
  • Like 2

Well I've run mine in for nearly four hours, although I was told 30mons each way. On a positive the wobble has definately improved but it still derails on the points. I read earlier about checking the wheelbase. So I checked it on a glass plate and diagonally opposite the leading and central wheel on both bogies  are nearly 1mm off the glass.

Sadly it looks as though it will need to go back. But I await further instructions. In the meantime I shall just keep running it in.

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, stock_2007 said:

Hoping its not to long before I see my pink 'one'  :crazy_mini: 

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas

I’ve had so much booze today , I’m not convinced I’ll see my pink one before January 

• Funny 5

Merry Christmas all!

I've been allowed to ‘open’ my order of 66429 DCC fitted today - didn’t last long in the wrapping paper. 

What a fantastic model, great detail, crisp livery and weight - had to read the manual a couple of times re function control and yes will need to re-program F2 as I use a gauge master prodigy advance 2. Just running it in now, yes I have a slight wobble on the rolling road which hopefully will settle while running in as others have said. Other than the wobble, 1 slightly off centre axle and a couple little bits of the wheel paint missing, really cannot fault this model.

Unless I’m being blind after all the chocolate and Christmas dinner, I couldn’t see anywhere about running in time for the loco in so assuming an hour in each direction? If it even needs one? :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Just need to build a layout (TMD) for it and all the others I have ticked away in the draw! 

Few pictures below. 

89111920-57E5-49E6-B283-24122BE93AD4.jpeg.4b1732081a3f89463c9675dd1752912e.jpeg

50008618-88D9-469A-9A47-4166C5C1D245.jpeg.3fdb37d79c36975666656a3e4f20baaa.jpeg

B091331E-5456-4B28-A11D-C59440E3F945.jpeg.7b3577ad09c6523bd96a9b25bb06ca92.jpeg

This is an in motion photo hence the slight blur.

B519E945-FB5C-453C-8A14-8BCF41038218.jpeg.6cde3cafeb176fa2139568f1cbb6e869.jpeg

Best wishes

Ali

Edited by Pegleg90
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Hi everyone, 

I hope that you are all well? 

I am commenting on this thread to say sorry for my previous misjudged comments on the last few pages. After looking at the past few pages and seeing the photos of the Colas 66s that customers have received the orange and indeed other colours on the Colas livery do look more accurate and pretty much perfect than what I was comparing them to previously which was the final production model photos on the individual Hattons product pages. To me now the Colas livery does look pretty much perfect especially when comparing to the previous Colas 66 produced by Bachmann. So yes I would like to apologise for trying to compare different photos on a laptop screen and trying to reach a conclusion regarding specific colours that way because as many have said it simply can't be done, as is proven with me misjudging the Colas orange so much. I would also like to apologise for the comment I made regarding the 'Colas Rail Freight' branding been too small. I have no proof that it is other than what my eyes were suggesting to me by looking at photos via a laptop screen. Again it was a big misjudgement on my part and I won't ever attempt to compare models and real life prototypes via a laptop screen again. 

I would also like to say that my previous comments were never meant to cause any upset or offense to Dave, anyone else who works at Hattons and specifically on the Class 66 project or anyone on this thread/site. I apologise if my previous comments did cause any upset or offense to anyone. This wasn't intentional and something that was initially caused by me asking a couple of questions to Dave which quickly became a debate between if colours were correct. A debate that I didn't intend to have but at the time I did think that the Colas orange did look at least slightly incorrect, thus I hope that others understand that I was commenting on this because I was perceiving the colour/s differently and comparing via photos on a laptop screen and not because I have anything against Hattons, any of their products and indeed their Class 66 project. 

That is the last time that I ever attempt to compare colours and the size of branding between models and the real life prototypes on a laptop screen. 

After just scanning the last few pages their are so many positive comments about the new Hattons Class 66 and I am pleased to hear this. As with every other manufacturer I wish Hattons all the best and every success in producing models and their new Class 66 does look to be a game changer and a significant upgrade from previous and current Class 66s on the market. 

I am hoping to buy some of the Freightliner versions in January/February when the main batch arrives. The GBRf Royal Scotsman pair are also very tempting, so I am very much looking forward to placing my order in the new year, once I have stopped been indecisive about which I want to buy and receiving the models in due course. The extent of different lighting options, the wealth of detail on the chassis and the etched grilles on the bodysides just shows how impressive these models are and for £150 as others have said it's a steal. 

Merry Christmas to Dave, everyone at Hattons and everyone on this thread/site. 

Thank you. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

I've been narky to people recently, without due reason, esp Bearwood West Yard and Atom3624, so I'd like to take this opportunity to offer an apology too.  We really shouldn't be getting so worked up over model trains!

ATB and Merry Christmas (not even on the sherry - designated driver!)

Edited by MM1991

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Perhaps he could teach my wife how to do it.

Thanks for understanding. Haha I do love this comment. I have to say though looking back now I was making a fuss out of pretty much nothing at all. Had I known at the time that the colours were pretty much the same as the previous Bachmann offering I would have never questioned or said that it was incorrect. A lesson learned is to never try to compare, differentiate, determine or reach any conclusions about colours of model trains via a laptop screen. 

15 hours ago, 7013 said:

No apologies needed really Danny, you are entitled to your opinion, but thank you all the same. Enjoy your Christmas. 

Thank you for understanding. That's true but my opinion was really flawed from the start by trying to compare colours via a laptop screen. Had I have seen the comparison photo of the Bachmann Colas and Hattons Colas 66 before I posted the initial questions I would have never of questioned any of the colours been incorrect because they most definitely look very accurate and portray the prototypes in model form very well. Something that some people know about me on this site and if others don't know I will tell you now is that I rarely post any negative comments in relation to any models or manufacturers because it's simply not in my nature. If I ever do criticise a model which is very rare I only make the comments and points that I do because I like it when manufacturers get models spot on and not because I want to cause any manufacturers any problems. We are very fortunate in the current market by having so many variations of DCC functions, the wealth of high detailing and specific locos been accurately portrayed by model manufacturers, thus when sometimes I suspect that an error has occurred on a model it's a dam it moment for me because often models are so close to perfect but a slight niggle or couple of niggles can let a model down as a whole. So it's more about me enjoying seeing manufacturers producing exceptional models but then if something isn't quite right I am quick to say or question said manufacturer to see if the model can be corrected before shipping or if an error can be remedied when customers have bought the model by sending it back to the manufacturer etc. I hope everyone can see that I just enjoy manufacturers striving to produce exceptional models which are as accurate as can be to the real life prototypes. 

3 hours ago, MM1991 said:

I've been narky to people recently, without due reason, esp Bearwood West Yard and Atom3624, so I'd like to take this opportunity to offer an apology too.  We really shouldn't be getting so worked up over model trains!

ATB and Merry Christmas (not even on the sherry - designated driver!)

Thank you for understanding. As I have mentioned previously I am not a negative person in relation to the comments that I post on this site or any others that I belong to because that simply isn't me, I just enjoy seeing manufacturers striving to produce the best models that they can. Thus when sometimes I suspect that their is an error I am quickly commenting to see if it can be remedied/resolved so that the model is as perfect as can be. 

I think forums such as this one and others are very useful because they can provide a place for discussions, the gathering of information, learning how to develop as a modeller, everyone can help each other but sometimes the internet as whole can be a place where information and comments can be misinterpreted. For example what a poster may include in their comment may not be fully clear to others as to the actual meaning of what they are talking about and information can be widely interpreted in different ways by individual people. It's also easy for the opinions of individual's to come across that they are potentially trying to force their views or comments onto other people. As others have said we are all entitled to views and opinions and others are entitled to agree or disagree. In my case it's that sometimes I may jump to a conclusion without fully researching what I am saying and thus my opinion and judgement is flawed from the start. But I know now for future about trying to make better judgements before I actually post comments. I am sure that you didn't upset anyone but it is really nice that you have apologised. I am sure that you, like me didn't want any hard feelings between yourself and anyone on the site/thread because after all our views and opinions are what makes us all so unique. If we al had completely the same views and opinions the world in general and this hobby would be very boring. What would we talk about and how would we even have a discussion without our views been different. 

Sometimes I think I forget that these really are model trains and whilst they are nice they really aren't that important. Obviously it's good if they are all perfect but if they aren't it really doesn't matter. Any errors can either be overlooked by buyers or you don't have to buy one and instead can buy another model, after all we have that much to chose from at the moment their really is something for everyone. 

Hopefully you will get a sherry tomorrow? 

Merry Christmas everyone and it's lovely to see photos of the Hattons 66s and more nice reviews coming through. I hope that everyone who has received theirs already, weather it be for Christmas or just as a treat that you are enjoying your models. For the rest of us like me who are either awaiting a pre-order or haven't decided which model/s to buy we can look forward to January/February when the remaining models arrive. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It is good that people be honest about being annoying etc. But, every opinion has its place and if we did not have a wide range of views it would be a boring world we live in. The Hattons 66 is one of the most highly anticipated models in a long time so there is bound to be a range of reactions. Far from being annoying etc. Peoples opinions help us to learn a bit more about the 66. I am no expert so when so when it is pointed out that something about the livery, windows, etc is not quite right I take notice and look. If we did not have the  input from those who drive them or follow them assiduously we would be In a less enriched group. So well done those who have apologised there really was no need, you added to the knowledge of the 66.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

Well I've run mine in for nearly four hours, although I was told 30mons each way. On a positive the wobble has definately improved but it still derails on the points. I read earlier about checking the wheelbase. So I checked it on a glass plate and diagonally opposite the leading and central wheel on both bogies  are nearly 1mm off the glass.

Sadly it looks as though it will need to go back. But I await further instructions. In the meantime I shall just keep running it in.

I have managed to square up the chassis on my 66125 EWS, as I had the same problem with two diagonally opposite bogie sides, meaning that 2/3 wheels were in the air at any one time. I covered this earlier in the thread, took me about 30 mins to cure with two fixes.

1. Careful filing of the metal bearing points on the chassis on the points above the bogies, where the wheels fully touched the ground. I took about 5 half strokes of a diamond model flat file, but test after each stroke. This reduces the high points on the chassis. 

2. Although after completing the filing at 1, the wheels were all on the level, one bogie side had a small gap to the chassis bearing point. I packed this with thinned down 10 thou plasticard, glued to the chassis bearing point.

The chassis and bogies are now absolutely straight and true on the track.

It is a lovely model and just purrs along. Well done Hattons, will certainly get a Freightliner when the main stock arrives.

Edited by rembrow
spelling
  • Thanks 1

Now that is worrying as its just not something you should need to do on a brand new model. But strictly speaking issues like these aren't something that just effects models.  For example I've had to face Frame Disc brake mounts on Cycles (were talking £3000 + ) that have come from the factory with incorrect setup meaning the wheel wont even rotate round when fitted and ream Seat tubes out as where the tubes are welded and burrs develop gauging the seatpost when fitted.

Hopefully Hattons will be able to sort out this issue that has occurred Personally even though they certainly look far better than the pre production models I'm not in the Market for these models as I'm sticking with my Bachmann models for consistency.

RE the Colas 66 Colour looks good in the pics but varies massively in real life an I'm not sure I've seen two that look identical with fading and weathering taking effect.  It's just a shame the positioning is off really.

Good luck with the model Hattons  and keep up the good work. 

Hoping all had a Happy Christmas 

Cheers Trailrage

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rembrow said:

I have managed to square up the chassis on my 66125 EWS, as I had the same problem with two diagonally opposite bogie sides, meaning that 2/3 wheels were in the air at any one time. I covered this earlier in the thread, took me about 30 mins to cure with two fixes.

1. Careful filing of the metal bearing points on the chassis on the points above the bogies, where the wheels fully touched the ground. I took about 5 half strokes of a diamond model flat file, but test after each stroke. This reduces the high points on the chassis. 

2. Although after completing the filing at 1, the wheels were all on the level, one bogie side had a small gap to the chassis bearing point. I packed this with thinned down 10 thou plasticard, glued to the chassis bearing point.

The chassis and bogies are now absolutely straight and true on the track.

It is a lovely model and just purrs along. Well done Hattons, will certainly get a Freightliner when the main stock arrives.

I wonder if you could post a photo or two showing the parts you filed, so much easier to have an illustration to back up the description.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, 7013 said:

I wonder if you could post a photo or two showing the parts you filed, so much easier to have an illustration to back up the description.

I had to get a light source into position so I could get close up to the bogie side and the chassis above. The part in question is mid photo on the chassis, is lower than the rest of the chassis plate and appears to have a chain link moulded above its lowest point. The bogies sit against these lugs. Hope this helps. 

P1050810.JPG

P1050812.JPG

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Thank you rembrow, looks a straightforward fix without altering the look of the loco. Of course I am hoping I will not have to alter mine when they arrive.

Edited by 7013
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 7013 said:

It is good that people be honest about being annoying etc. But, every opinion has its place and if we did not have a wide range of views it would be a boring world we live in. The Hattons 66 is one of the most highly anticipated models in a long time so there is bound to be a range of reactions. Far from being annoying etc. Peoples opinions help us to learn a bit more about the 66. I am no expert so when so when it is pointed out that something about the livery, windows, etc is not quite right I take notice and look. If we did not have the  input from those who drive them or follow them assiduously we would be In a less enriched group. So well done those who have apologised there really was no need, you added to the knowledge of the 66.

I just really hope that I didn't upset or offend anyone because that is never my intention when I post on here. This site is really good, friendly and supportive and allows so much information to be shared. I agree that with such a popular model of which their are hundreds of real life prototypes of, their was always bound to be a wide range of views and opinions regarding a new tool by a different manufacturer from the previous manufacturers. This is not specific to Hattons but this would have likely happened with any manufacturer. I know what you mean, I'm no expert either and I don't work on the railways at all but I do tend to notice things especially on the 66s mainly because I have seen so many of them and up close at Leeds Midland Road from the yard at the rear of the depot. I also spend a lot of time on Flickr either scrolling through photos of the real life prototypes or searching for specific locos and then I notice differences between individual locos. It's just something that I like doing as part of the hobby because so much can be learned just through looking at photos and examining the locos. The Class 66 is probably one of the most difficult models to portray accurately in model form just because of the amount of variations their is. The fact that Hattons have incorporated all of these variations into the tooling to correctly portray individual locos as per the prototypes is something that they should be highly praised for. Something that is also very impressive is that Hattons have changed the tooling for Biffa 66783 from when it was originally announced in 2018. At this point it had the three cab windows where as now after a visit to Longport this year it has the GBRf updated two cab windows and also wears grey around the windows where the modifications were done. For Hattons to update the model to incorporate both of these differences is brilliant. Comparing to Bachmann, I know that their have been occasions where the same modifications were done with GBRf 66s that they have announced and they didn't update the tooling before producing the model and thus the models already had slight inaccuracies to the prototypes from arrival. Obviously it wasn't an error but more of an inaccuracy that the tooling and final production models were not revised to accommodate these minor changes. This just shows that Hattons have been paying a lot of attention to the 66s in reality during 2018 & 2019 throughout the process of producing these models. Attention to detail on models and models been as up to date as possible is liked by customers so it's a nice touch by Hattons. 

• Like 3