Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, big jim said:

Your upsetting and offending me by bloody going on about it!

edit: sorry no wink emoji! 

Haha, you're very funny Jim. I do love it when people have a sense of humour. Another of the many benefits of this site. It has a great group of people on it and their is always a fair share of laughing, joking and tongue in cheek comments haha. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Haha, you're very funny Jim. I do love it when people have a sense of humour. Another of the many benefits of this site. It has a great group of people on it and their is always a fair share of laughing, joking and tongue in cheek comments haha. 

And stick pins in dolls when no one is looking:crazy_mini:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Has anyone tested how slowly the new 66 can go - just had a short go of mine and it's truly amazing.

I think adb (??) I think posted a video of a Continental locomotive he has, which was impressive even if you could see the slight jerks between poles - I would say this 66 is the equal of that.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

23 hours ago, rembrow said:

I had to get a light source into position so I could get close up to the bogie side and the chassis above. The part in question is mid photo on the chassis, is lower than the rest of the chassis plate and appears to have a chain link moulded above its lowest point. The bogies sit against these lugs. Hope this helps. 

P1050810.JPG

P1050812.JPG

Thanks for this, I think I’m going to tape some shim in first to see if it makes any difference.

I see you filed a taper on yours from front to back was this to enable the wheels to sit flat.

Controversially , I’m not expecting to have to take a file to a brand new loco just to get a bogie to run flat.

If this is a trend , I’ll have to stick with Bachmann .

time will tell as more are delivered 

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Controversially , I’m not expecting to have to take a file to a brand new loco just to get a bogie to run flat.

If this is a trend , I’ll have to stick with Bachmann .

time will tell as more are delivered 

Be careful, you are not allowed to dis the 66,  the Hattons Fan Club will be around to duff you up.

Keep it to yourself, I dont want them coming after me.;)

This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

Edited by royaloak
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 15:03, WisTramwayMan said:

...The other thing that will only become clear, with time, is the reliability and technical back-up associated with this new version. Personally, I have always found the problem-free nature of most Bachmann products to be worth quite a bit, and certainly there are other locos coming from different manufacturers, some of whose past record is somewhat patchy, to challenge existing Bachmann ones; the same applies, I shall wait and see what is reported a few months down the road.

The upside is that these centre motor mechanisms have had plenty of development from makers of product for the North American HO market, which is intolerant of poor performance and reliability. What I have seen so far suggests that such models produced for OO have mechanisms unchanged in essentials from well proven designs. (It would be interesting to know which of current HO mechanisms this OO model derives from.)

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Has anyone tested how slowly the new 66 can go - just had a short go of mine and it's truly amazing.

I think adb (??) I think posted a video of a Continental locomotive he has, which was impressive even if you could see the slight jerks between poles - I would say this 66 is the equal of that...

To my mind once a model can realistically transition from stationary to dead slow, and likewise cease moving smoothly 'that's enough', and centre motor mechanisms combined with a feedback control system excel at this. (If anything, I am more concerned that model mechanisms deliver at least scale maximum speed with whatever the appropriate load behind may be. We have seen an example of a centre motor model from a now thankfully extinct brand reported as failing in this respect, and I had rather this idea didn't catch on!)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

I see that one or two people are having an issue with one of their Class 66 bogies not sitting 100% true on the track.

This is not something that I've experienced on any of our pre-production, production or QC samples.

I've been made aware of four people that have been in touch with our Helpdesk team regarding this and would advise anyone else experiencing a similar issue to do the same and we can then advise the best process to return your model for replacement. Our full returns page can be seen at: www.hattons.co.uk/returns

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Fantastic service once again!!

Should be on the Sherry by now Dave!!

Mine is only missing one thing, the driver ... that's it. The rest is just, well, perfect.

In relation to 34C above, I think there have been enough videos of the Hattons' 66 to see it can perform 100% as a 'scale prototype'.

66's maximum speed, depending on sub-type, is either 65 or 75mph.

This has been demonstrated on several occasions and what I've seen is in excess of this, with huge loads - greater than 20 Pullman carriages on one demo.

Al.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, marshy said:

anyoneknow how to turn rear lights off ive tried the underneath switches but they do nothing ?

Are you running DC, or DCC?

9 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Is that not one of the internal switches? Should all be listed in the booklet or on the 66 page on the website. 

They are switchable with DCC 4 or 6 function decoders and switched with the underside switches in DC mode. (Switches are "on" for DCC switching)

The internal switches are for day/night headlight running

http://images.hattons.co.uk/mediaimages/General instructions - pdf.pdf

16 hours ago, newbryford said:

Are you running DC, or DCC?

They are switchable with DCC 4 or 6 function decoders and switched with the underside switches in DC mode. (Switches are "on" for DCC switching)

The internal switches are for day/night headlight running

http://images.hattons.co.uk/mediaimages/General instructions - pdf.pdf

Hi Mick thanks for replying I am running on dc and have tried the switches underneath these don't seem to turn them off. Looking at the instructions there should be 3 switches but mine only has 2 and they are minute I will remove the body later and see what I can come up with 

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone bought any of the original green and/or powerhaul liveried Freightliner 66s? If so would anyone mind sharing some photos. 

I'm really undecided on what to buy in January. I like Freightliner 418, 502, 528, 587 & 957. But I also like GBRf Royal Scotsman 743 & 746. But their is no way that I can afford seven so I do need to narrow down my wishlist a bit more. 

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Has anyone bought any of the original green and/or powerhaul liveried Freightliner 66s? If so would anyone mind sharing some photos. 

I'm really undecided on what to buy in January. I like Freightliner 418, 502, 528, 587 & 957. But I also like GBRf Royal Scotsman 743 & 746. But their is no way that I can afford seven so I do need to narrow down my wishlist a bit more. 

Thanks in advance. 

I would recommend 957, but as you see from the logo in my sig', as a current SLS Director this is a rather biased plug!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Thanks in advance. 

Not sure how a couple of pics will help you decide which ones to pick. 

The original green ones are pretty much all the same, very little variation in the fleet save for the headlights but all these are covered in the listings on Hattons own website.

same with powerhaul really, only some slight variations in placement of the logos.

heres 528 for what its worth....

9971B190-7892-4068-8270-8D7F089BF9D6.jpeg

C13B88B4-EB2C-40D9-8A87-0520BA0B537D.jpeg

2D71DD71-A4F5-4152-825D-E3F666EE7889.jpeg

599E6DEB-6278-4A87-A9B7-6F55FB5FF083.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have 66957 on order, I like named locos and this one obviously has historical connections which for me is special

Edited by 7013
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, john new said:

I would recommend 957, but as you see from the logo in my sig', as a current SLS Director this is a rather biased plug!

1 hour ago, eric709 said:

Not sure how a couple of pics will help you decide which ones to pick. 

The original green ones are pretty much all the same, very little variation in the fleet save for the headlights but all these are covered in the listings on Hattons own website.

same with powerhaul really, only some slight variations in placement of the logos.

heres 528 for what its worth....

9971B190-7892-4068-8270-8D7F089BF9D6.jpeg

C13B88B4-EB2C-40D9-8A87-0520BA0B537D.jpeg

2D71DD71-A4F5-4152-825D-E3F666EE7889.jpeg

599E6DEB-6278-4A87-A9B7-6F55FB5FF083.jpeg

59 minutes ago, 7013 said:

I have 66957 on order, I like named locos and this one obviously has historical connections which for me is special

Thank you all for the replies and thank you Eric for the photos. 

I have definitely decided to buy 528 & 957. Just because these two were originally in the heavy haul pool and thus appeared regularly on coal trains in Hunslet Yard and on Leeds Midland Road for maintenance and refuelling etc. I also saw 528 derailed on the entrance to Midland Road depot once on a Saturday morning a few years ago. It was their for hours before it was re-railed. Another interesting thing about 528 is that this is one of the Freightliner 66s that I have seen the most. I also believe that this one has been seen by myself more times than any other Freightliner 66. It's one of the Midland Road regulars if you like. Another reason why I like it. 

I also like 418 because alike 504 & 528 it has the large Freightliner lettering on the bodysides. I'm pleased that I sold the Bachmann 416 now because it had the smaller lettering which to me on a large bodyside looks lost and just doesn't look right. 

I feel as though I need Freightliner ONE 587 because I have 522 & 623 in their respective special liveries and 587 is only the third ever Freightliner 66 to be adorned in a customer livery/branding. But to go with 587 I would likely want a second intermodal 66, so either 418 or 502 out of the ones I like. 418 is nice because it's a special named Patriot but I also like 502 because it's named Basford Hall Centenary 2001. So really it looks as though I have decided on the first three. Now I could possibly have another two. So really it's either 418 & 502 or the GBRf Royal Scotsman pair. 

66528 looks excellent. The livery application and printing looks brilliant too. 

Thanks again. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Thank you all for the replies and thank you Eric for the photos. 

I have definitely decided to buy 528 & 957. Just because these two were originally in the heavy haul pool and thus appeared regularly on coal trains in Hunslet Yard and on Leeds Midland Road for maintenance and refuelling etc. I also saw 528 derailed on the entrance to Midland Road depot once on a Saturday morning a few years ago. It was their for hours before it was re-railed. Another interesting thing about 528 is that this is one of the Freightliner 66s that I have seen the most. I also believe that this one has been seen by myself more times than any other Freightliner 66. It's one of the Midland Road regulars if you like. Another reason why I like it. 

I also like 418 because alike 504 & 528 it has the large Freightliner lettering on the bodysides. I'm pleased that I sold the Bachmann 416 now because it had the smaller lettering which to me on a large bodyside looks lost and just doesn't look right. 

I feel as though I need Freightliner ONE 587 because I have 522 & 623 in their respective special liveries and 587 is only the third ever Freightliner 66 to be adorned in a customer livery/branding. But to go with 587 I would likely want a second intermodal 66, so either 418 or 502 out of the ones I like. 418 is nice because it's a special named Patriot but I also like 502 because it's named Basford Hall Centenary 2001. So really it looks as though I have decided on the first three. Now I could possibly have another two. So really it's either 418 & 502 or the GBRf Royal Scotsman pair. 

66528 looks excellent. The livery application and printing looks brilliant too. 

Thanks again. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

All the Freightliner 66’s are in a common user pool, there is no specific HH or IM ones anymore

indeed 587 has spent more time doing non Intermodal work since its repaint 

Edited by eric709
Spelling mistake
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, eric709 said:

All the Freightliner 66’s are in a common user pool, there is no specific HH or IM ones anymore

indeed 587 has spent more time doing non Intermodal work since its repaint 

Very true. It seems strange now though seeing an original heavy haul example or an original intermodal example doing the opposite work. 528 & 957 which were both originally heavy haul examples now spend the majority of their time on intermodal work. It is interesting to follow. Then on the other hand as you say 587 has mostly worked heavy haul trains following it's repaint a few months ago. I suppose for modelling though it makes it easier and cheaper because you can now run any Freightliner 66 with whatever wagons you want and it doesn't look unusual. 

17 hours ago, 7013 said:

It would be boring if we were all the same wouldn't it? - I prefer unnamed ones.

A named loco running 2 successive services on a layout looks obvious, but most will not spot an unnamed one trundling back & forth, so you need less of them.

It is also easier to add a name than remove it (although on a 66 with front numbers, this can be a little more involved).

With people like us having opposing preferences, it should keep a wide selection available. :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 2