Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

1 hour ago, big jim said:

here is the ‘lug’ on a real class 66 bogie 13682A68-11F8-4956-8B9F-20BBF602E239.jpeg.5f1cf11c9012c128d9897d66c3399450.jpeg

it basically stops the bogies falling off should a giant try and pick up the loco 

1 hour ago, big jim said:

here is the ‘lug’ on a real class 66 bogie 13682A68-11F8-4956-8B9F-20BBF602E239.jpeg.5f1cf11c9012c128d9897d66c3399450.jpeg

it basically stops the bogies falling off should a giant try and pick up the loco 

How many hattons ones are you getting Jim ?

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I once saw video of a German O gauge layout with smoke fitted steam loco's. It was the most realistic I've seen, seem to remember it was synced with the sound, and the safety valves and cylinder cocks worked which must take some skill to pipe up inside. Sadly I can't find it now. 

It's not 0-gauge but these Gauge 1 models have some of the best RTR smoke around.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Willoughby Glen said:

66047 went through Birmingham International last year and it was smoking heavily.  I would imagine a few will start to make plenty of smoke as they get older and the engines wear more. 

Mind you award for the clagg loco, for me, has to be 37211 when I saw her in the 90s at York, I am still coughing from the affects  now!!

D335 starting up in Bury yard, not long after it came from BR... winter 1988/89 ish ?

you heard the cranking... for ever, and quite loud, then it got a bit faster... then the white clouds emerged, and a fog rose, and hung in the cold air, turning to a cloud that covered the Transport Museum, Angoleume Way and over the car park above the tunnel towards Bolton Street too..., but through it you heard whistling..

This link from YouTube wasn’t the occasion, (not my video), but it gives a sense of the event...

Edited by adb968008

Has anyone refitted an axlebox?

I started running in my Patriot, and one came off.

Until then, it seemed to run flat, level and smoothly around my 4th radius impromptu circle of track.

When I replaced it, it started to have a slight 'wobble' as mentioned by some.

Could this 'wobble' actually be the axleboxes catching in the bogie sides?

I also had problems ensuring a clean superglue fix - despite cleaning both surfaces, cleaning out the hole in the axlebox, and a little dab of superglue in the middle - and also found the axles protrude very little - very small amount to 'purchase' to.

All is glued now, and remaining in place. I also gave a little 'dab' with a piece of piano wire where each box touches the wheels on the others, to restrict possible recurrences.

I'm running to see if the occasional wobble 'settles' as suggested by Dave, in case it is the shaft of the axlebox.

In my instance, it could be the track, but a Hornby Class 60 was rock steady on the same track.

Al.

On 27/12/2019 at 13:42, martin_l_jones said:

Thanks for this, I think I’m going to tape some shim in first to see if it makes any difference.

I see you filed a taper on yours from front to back was this to enable the wheels to sit flat.

I hadn't noticed the taper until the photo was taken, which is a significant enlargement of the actual model, you can't see the slope on the model. I've since corrected and touched up with paint. The difficulty is getting a file between the bogie and chassis.

Another area that others may find a problem with is the large roof grill. This is a wonderful piece of model making, the grills are so fine that you have to be careful when handling as it will be easy to distort. I found by chance, that the grill was only partially glued to the roof aperture, most of the length of the two longest sides and two corners, were loose. I tackled this by masking off the roof up to the cavity for the grill, so that any glue wouldn't get on to the roof. I then used a spatula made of 5 thou plasticard, with cyano glue spread thinly on the edge I was going to use, which easily went under the grill, as it was raised slightly, and I managed to spread a thin layer of glue to the unglued edges, and smoothed down. I removed the Tamiya masking tape after 5 minutes. Now fully secure. The risk was it could be caught and pulled off when not secured and would easily have bent.

Nothing I've done should detract from what is a wonderful model, which has pushed forward the boundaries opf model detailing.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if Hattons are going to get a supply of replacement axle boxes for those that come of and disappear into the ether? If any of mine drop off I will ensure I mould some more using a two part resin kit I have.

just a thought, but if you are replacing the axle box using super glue and are worrying about it catching the sides of the bogie, perhaps smear the outside of the box with a tiny bit of Vaseline to prevent sticking or fouling. 

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Has anyone refitted an axlebox?

I started running in my Patriot, and one came off.

Until then, it seemed to run flat, level and smoothly around my 4th radius impromptu circle of track.

When I replaced it, it started to have a slight 'wobble' as mentioned by some.

Could this 'wobble' actually be the axleboxes catching in the bogie sides?

I also had problems ensuring a clean superglue fix - despite cleaning both surfaces, cleaning out the hole in the axlebox, and a little dab of superglue in the middle - and also found the axles protrude very little - very small amount to 'purchase' to.

All is glued now, and remaining in place. I also gave a little 'dab' with a piece of piano wire where each box touches the wheels on the others, to restrict possible recurrences.

I'm running to see if the occasional wobble 'settles' as suggested by Dave, in case it is the shaft of the axlebox.

In my instance, it could be the track, but a Hornby Class 60 was rock steady on the same track.

Al.

Hi Al,

As of yet I've still not had my hands on a model that has been returned as a wobbly runner. But, it certainly sounds plausible that a misaligned axlebox could cause this.

I'm glad to hear you've reattached the axleboxes, it sounds like you've gone for the belt and braces approach.

In regards to the running, please do get in touch with our Helpdesk team via phone (0151 733 3655) or email (info@hattons.co.uk) if this persists.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi Al,

As of yet I've still not had my hands on a model that has been returned as a wobbly runner. But, it certainly sounds plausible that a misaligned axlebox could cause this.

I'm glad to hear you've reattached the axleboxes, it sounds like you've gone for the belt and braces approach.

In regards to the running, please do get in touch with our Helpdesk team via phone (0151 733 3655) or email (info@hattons.co.uk) if this persists.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave.

It's now been running for perhaps a total of 3 hours - nothing further - all solid.

I had tried to true and make as perpendicular as possible.

I love the moving axleboxes, so great idea - more than 'just a gimmick' for me.

From what I've seen, I think it could have been easier with very-slightly opened holes in the bogie sides - which would be covered by the 'ab's anyway, and slightly longer axles - at least 1.0 - 1.5mm each side - just my thoughts and opinions.

Thanks for getting in touch.

Al.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hattons Dave said:

As of yet I've still not had my hands on a model that has been returned as a wobbly runner.

Hi Dave, we could make a start with my one. It is probably better if your guys have a look than me removing or re-gluing the axleboxes.

49252944712_3d184505d2.jpg20191221_115525 

It is one of your DC models, I have chipped it myself - shall I remove the DCC chip and speaker or is it ok leaving it as it is? 

Is there any particular data you need from me?  

If yes send me a PM. 

Many thanks

Vecchio aka Gerhard

My model of 66789 was delivered to my work address end of last week when I was on holiday,  on opening box today I found what looked like oily fingerprints and marks on the bodyside  but at they wont come off can only assume its superglue, there is also a glue blob almost dead centre on the roof, the fine grille is already bent in too.

At least no parts were loose in the box!

Stunning model all the same ☺

14 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

The ends of the axles a little longer and knurled finnish so they have something to grip would sort it if theres more to manufacture in future

A thought I had would be to to have the ends threaded.

Anyway, with a little work, this 'minor' can be easily resolved ...

Al.

the wobble would be due to not quite fitting the axlebox correctly I refitted one of mine and the loco wobbled to the first curve then fell off the track I refitted and all was well. I hope spare parts will be available as I also lost another one and a set of lower hand rails when I removed the body to insert a driver

• Like 1

I've had to finally send mine back. I packed up the bogies with shim but it made no difference with the number one end but it does now run number 2 end forward without de-railing. Hummed and arghed about swooping the coupling but I know I wouldn't have been happy with it. And as there is a lot of detail attatched to the lower body sides I thought better of it. Hopefully there will be a replacement available. Listening to all the issues with the axle boxes I'm wondering whether they may have pushed this a little too far. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

Happy to be corrected, but isn't there an H0 66 with rotating axleboxes - I don't recall any huge issues with that? 

From what I can gather looking at what has been said here, the running issues and axleboxes falling off seems more about design and/or assembly than there being anything fundamentally wrong with the idea. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 31/12/2019 at 13:31, Vecchio said:

Hi Dave, we could make a start with my one. It is probably better if your guys have a look than me removing or re-gluing the axleboxes.

49252944712_3d184505d2.jpg20191221_115525 

It is one of your DC models, I have chipped it myself - shall I remove the DCC chip and speaker or is it ok leaving it as it is? 

Is there any particular data you need from me?  

If yes send me a PM. 

Many thanks

Vecchio aka Gerhard

Hello Gerhard,

The best way to get this back to us will be to contact our Helpdesk team (0151 733 3655 or info@hattons.co.uk) who will talk you through the process and make sure everything is noted up appropriately.

If you could remove your decoder and reinstall the blanking plate before returning it, that will be best.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

But.... you will need a 21-8 pin adapter and the TTS decoder is only 3 functions.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I suppose it had to be only a matter of time before one of those axleboxes fell off.    Second time out of the box, and "Madge Elliot" returned to the fiddle yard minus an axlebox from the centre axle of the trailing bogie.   After some considerable searching, I found it lying by the edge of the track at a tunnel mouth.  Would I ever have found it again if it had dropped off inside the tunnel?    How it ever managed to come off is a mystery as trying to re-attach it proved extremely fiddly as it was a very tight fight over the axle stub.  Indeed it took several attempts, and several shots of super glue had gone dry before the item was eventually successfully re-attached.  Here's hoping for no more problems!