Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

35 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Fear alone has tanked values of several rarer 66’s and 47’s.

It wasn’t that long ago a couple of rarer 47’s were going towards £300 !!, with 1 expception, ebays rarest without sound is around £200 now, <£100 the majority.

Having said that a DC TPE 68 went for £300 yesterday, when in all probability Dapol are doing another run of them!

7 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Having said that a DC TPE 68 went for £300 yesterday, when in all probability Dapol are doing another run of them!

That was mine this morning on ebay. Nearly dropped my porridge at the time :-O

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

8 hours ago, stock_2007 said:

The newer liveried locos that missed the plane are still down for January with the 2nd run stock down for February

Yes they told me on Friday that my ONE 66 is due this month but as you say these are one of the ones that were announced later and didn't make the plane.

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Once the initial hysteria settles down Hattons should be able to bring bodys into play at will as the way its made the chassis is down to two depending on fuel tanks.

So they could have a load of chassis and do body runs and box them to suit for whatever one wants livery wise.Just sad the basic chassis should have been run for hundreds of hours on test or the bits dropping off issue would have been picked up and sorted. I am amused as to how so many want to count rivets but find it acceptable to super glue bits back onto a new model,especially those who are buying sound ones at £265 a pop

Stuff can tested for many hours with no problems whatsoever.

The real test is when the public get their hands on it...………………….

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Once the initial hysteria settles down Hattons should be able to bring bodys into play at will as the way its made the chassis is down to two depending on fuel tanks.

So they could have a load of chassis and do body runs and box them to suit for whatever one wants livery wise.

But there is a huge cost to Hattons in producing a load of chassis that are not saleable until the bodies are prepared later. That is capital employed (money spent that cannot yet be recouped) and is the bane of any company.

In addition, these chassis have to br stored somewhere and then assembled with bodies later. Where and by who would this happen? If in China, Hattons would probably be paying storage charges. 

Nice idea that in practice is unlikely to work.

Roy

Moving away from bodies or chassis debate, I am very much wanting to order one of these, but am loath to do so unless Hattons include a packet of spare axle covers with each loco, given the reports in this thread of them coming loose. Either the carpet monster or obscure parts of the layout will swallow these up, I'm sure.

I certainly don't want to be contacting Hattons several times a year requesting spares.  How about it Hattons Dave?

Not suggesting its hard to use some superglue.  Just not convinced at this stage that the axle boxes won't repeatedly come loose, thats all.  They are the perfect candidate for disappearing unnoticed. For that reason some spares would be nice.

Time will tell whether I am right or wrong. we shall see.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

If I'm spending £265, I don't want to be supergluing anything.

If something's wrong and I've gone and glued something, surely Warranty is a little put out?

@Hattons Dave has advised the use of superglue in this thread:

And step-by-step in instructions are given on Hattons' site: https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=658#axlebox

So, unless you're remarkably careless, your warranty should be unaffected. You are, after all, simply following manufacturer's instructions.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

If something's wrong and I've gone and glued something, surely Warranty is a little put out?

Given the fact Hattons themselves said to superglue them on their own website, they could hardly use that to say the warranty is affected. https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=658
If your spending £265 then your spending £115 more, in order to get a chip and speaker, than people who just get the standard one. I have no issues at all using a drop of superglue on these small parts. There is a clear reason these may detach during normal use of the loco. When it is a handrail or window or something that is in no way connected to any moving parts, then I have an issue. 

Edited by Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

I do understand, but the amount of bits that have fallen off other locos, I hate doing anything to them now.

Given the somewhat wayward  propensities of Chinese adhesives,I’m afraid that’s par for the course now.Try Heljan for bits in the box syndrome.Stuff happens,etc...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

No one is saying its not a great model,its just sad that after the wait one of its must have features needs bodged up from day one.needs better made in the first place for the kind of money they are.Yes the expense of the sound ones are for the chip etc but the basic item is flawed and needs resolved.All the hu har for colours and livery but its ok to drop bits off from new.

Leaving aside the cost for the moment, isn't sticking some things onto other things pretty much a definition of 'modelling'?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Sort of covered above. If you are buying a Hattons 66 then you should be a modeller (my personal view), if you aren’t then maybe the Hattons 66 isn’t what you need,  try Bachmann or Hornby. 
In the quest for fidelity and detail then separately fitted parts WILL fall off from time to time, that’s a fact. 
Can’t wait for mine to arrive and do some modelling on them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Rather than straying off into the emotive area of who is a 'modeller' and who isn't (a lot of sniffy nonsense in my view) I would reiterate my earlier view that:-

1 Given the minute and bespoke nature of the part (axle cap)

2 Given the moving forces exerted on it over the life of the model

It would surely be a common sense and low cost move for Hattons to include spares within their detail pack. That was the only suggestion I was making!! Lol.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

With the Bachmann, you still have the 'detailing' parts to fit, so being a 'modeller' of some description or other is a prerequisite - should at least have some form of competence, or know somebody who is.

Al.

Whilst that’s sort of true, they are optional fit items. The axle caps on the Hattons 66 are a standard part of each loco.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Agree, however simple the task might be, it is a fault. Hopefully, in due course mine won't be a shedding shed or if it is the parts get found to be  glued back on.

Also it is a very small sized, and specific bit, that you can't just substitute something else for as a home bodge.

Edited by john new
Added extra observation
  • Agree 1

Clearly Hattons did not foresee such an issue with revolving axles, but having seen models run I’ve noticed the 'axle' ends (plastic pieces) protrude from the boogie frames when the wheel set is pushed to one side, resulting in a seemingly unrealistic scenario of the part being a few mm proud of the bogie frame.

Maybe a solution could be found using either square or 'D' (circular with a flat) axle ends and similar holes in the plastic attachments, as well as the attachment being captive - yet still free to revolve - in the bogie frame. This would allow both lateral movement of the metal 'true' axle inside the false plastic axle end (avoiding my above observation) and would keep the plastic axle ends captive all the time, not requiring glue to hold them in and with no danger of missing parts.

Just a thought and quite unrealistic to implement now without tooling change. A small hiccup on an otherwise excellent model.

Jack,

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

...And just another thought about the current situation. If the tolerances are tight between the plastic axle pieces and the bogie frame hole, would opening out the hole slightly help? Any friction or force caused by the plastic axle stub fouling the frame may cause the glue to fail.

I'm not suggesting those who've purchased a model take a drill or knife to theirs, but it might be simple for Hattons to increase the tolerance on future models without hindering the appearance of the revolving axles?

Jack.

• Like 1