Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

7 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

But according to some people, having to touch up is part of "modelling" and so complaints aren't valid in their eyes...

If you're referring to my earlier comment about gluing axle boxes, you're taking it out of context. That's fairly basic stuff.

Reworking a livery, which in this case would require fairly complex masking, is another matter entirely. Just my 2p.

Edited by truffy

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, pinzaboy said:

Hi

As regards the discussion about the size and weight of numbers/letters on the side of EWS  66005 here is my photo of the loco and I think that the EWS letters are slightly thinner than the numerals. 

20171115_174606.jpg

Just skimming through this thread, re "width of numerals", I see clear yellow underneath the digits on the real thing but less on the model. To my eyes the model's digits are the right shape but just slightly too large all round. 

I could live with it personally but find it fascinating that we all see things slightly differently - and so, presumably, do those approving production.

Edited by Hal Nail

5 minutes ago, truffy said:

If you're referring to my earlier comment about gluing axle boxes, you're taking it out of context. That's fairly basic stuff.

Reworking a livery, which in this case would require fairly complex masking, is another matter entirely. Just my 2p.

I don’t think he’s referring to you.

More the condescending comment further up that if your not willing to sort the issues with this thing, you’re not really a modeller and should stick to the Bachmann / Hornby version.

seems to have confused warranty repairs with “ modelling “

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

All this talk of liveries and numerals makes me think BR knew what they were doing with corporate blue:

• Is it a loco? - paint it blue and give it a yellow front
  • Is it a unit? 
    • Is it on the Southern? or an Inter City unit paint it blue/grey and give it a yellow front
    • Is it elsewhere? paint it blue and give it a yellow front
  • Is it a coach? - paint it blue/grey with blue ends
  • Is it an NPCCS? -  paint it blue all over
  • Is it a loco/unit/coach/NPCCS - don't fully clean it until it's next visit to works

With regards the 66, Pinzaboy showed how subjective the thickness of numerals are with his pic of 66005 - his opinion was they were not all the same, it wasn't based on any fact just how it looks to him, which is what we all do don't we.

Hal Nail nails it - it's all subjective just like the livery colours, we all see things differently and even if all the color codes match and someone measures the numerals with a ruler and checks the changes of colour are in the right spot at the correct angle, someone is going to look and go 'that doesn't look right to them'.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

21 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I don’t think he’s referring to you.

More the condescending comment further up that if your not willing to sort the issues with this thing, you’re not really a modeller and should stick to the Bachmann / Hornby version.

seems to have confused warranty repairs with “ modelling “

And one could argue a true modeller would start with Hornby/Lima and try and make better!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

11 hours ago, adb968008 said:

… I used to deliberately leave an error somewhere...

Someone is always going to find a fault, no matter how good you think you've done it. same applies to models.

53 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Should be capital "s".

:)

Hook, line and sinker, methinks...

Brilliant!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• Administrators
11 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Someone is always going to find a fault, no matter how good you think you've done it. The trick is to influence people, not control them. Theres no such thing as perfection and in reality you control little... If you try to be perfect someone will try to pull you down. same applies to models.

The trick is to work out how much it matters. If a model sells by the thousand and there a couple of people unhappy on the interweb, well you just sit back on the pile of cash and decide you got the balance between fidelity and price about right. Perfection is possible but the harder you chase it, the higher the selling price and the less you sell. All models are a compromise, the challenge for a RTR manufacturer is to find the best one.

9 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

And one could argue a true modeller would start with Hornby/Lima and try and make better!

A REAL modeller would dig up their own ore from the garden, smelt their own steel and scratchbuild! Nothing else is acceptable!!! ;)

• Like 4
  • Funny 9

As we are going to have to wait a while for our/my Hatton's 66s to arrive, I was wondering if there was any way of finding out the ship that will be bringing these to our shores. I seem to recall another delivery (Class 71?) being tracked across the seas, which helped pass a quiet afternoon...

• Funny 3

3 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

As we are going to have to wait a while for our/my Hatton's 66s to arrive, I was wondering if there was any way of finding out the ship that will be bringing these to our shores. I seem to recall another delivery (Class 71?) being tracked across the seas, which helped pass a quiet afternoon...

I guess companies like Hattons and Rails would not share such sensitive information as it creates expectation.

For DJM it was a game to keep people onside.

3 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I guess companies like Hattons and Rails would not share such sensitive information as it creates expectation.

For DJM it was a game to keep people onside.

Like Voldemort, I was trying not to mention those three letters - you know it will trigger an outbreak of the keyboard jitterers!

• Funny 7

This is the only Bachmann 66 I have, I know this is weathered but hopefully it’ll be some help to some of you wanting/contemplating a Hattons 66. I personally am very happy with my Hattons 66 and as soon as I find the time, I shall be giving it a damn good weathering too. If anyone would like any more photos just let me know and I’ll see what I can do. Unfortunately, my iPad is the only way I can take/upload pictures at the moment.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

I’m already tracking your ship . At the moment it’s stationary off Somalia , and there’s lots of smaller boats coming to say hello and test run a 66 or two .

• Funny 10

Comparing photos of the real

locos against the Hattons web pages I think I’ve made my mind up to get 66088 with DB as it’s worked trains to Workington so fits well and Hattons look to have done well in matching the little warning stickers on doors etc. 66125 in EWS also looks spot on again with the nice little touches of details. One random thing I spotted on 66207 is on the side with 2 grills the yellow bands on the doors are the wrong way up. So don’t line up with the rest of the body side gold stripes at each end. I wonder how this occurred on the real loco unless it was masked and painted wrong? If they had swapped the door handles wouldn’t line up so a bit if a curiosity. 

Ive saved enough for 1 with sound so hopefully will have enough for the pair ahead of Glasgow. 

All the best 

Mark

21 minutes ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

One random thing I spotted on 66207 is on the side with 2 grills the yellow bands on the doors are the wrong way up. So don’t line up with the rest of the body side gold stripes at each end. I wonder how this occurred on the real loco unless it was masked and painted wrong? If they had swapped the door handles wouldn’t line up so a bit if a curiosity. 

It’s deliberate(ish):

4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

That doesnt work because that would make me a proper modeller rather than the skinflint I am!

Although I normally end making them worse so you could actually be right.

• Funny 3

@ShoeyThanks for that comparison.

It's hard to pick from the two bodywise - if you ask me Bachmann have done the cab doors and handles better, Hattons has a nicer grill on the side.

Weathered it picks out all the details on the loco, difficult to tell how well some of those details stand out on the unweathered Hattons version but to me not much in it.

As @ERIC ALLTORQUE says, it's under the bonnet where this model should leap beyond Bachmann with better lighting and sound.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Shoey said:

This is the only Bachmann 66 I have, I know this is weathered but hopefully it’ll be some help to some of you wanting/contemplating a Hattons 66. I personally am very happy with my Hattons 66 and as soon as I find the time, I shall be giving it a damn good weathering too. If anyone would like any more photos just let me know and I’ll see what I can do. Unfortunately, my iPad is the only way I can take/upload pictures at the moment.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Many thanks for the comparison.  The difference in the weight of the E W S letters stand out but otherwise there’s not much in it for me.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Comparing photos of the real

locos against the Hattons web pages I think I’ve made my mind up to get 66088 with DB as it’s worked trains to Workington so fits well and Hattons look to have done well in matching the little warning stickers on doors etc. 66125 in EWS also looks spot on again with the nice little touches of details. One random thing I spotted on 66207 is on the side with 2 grills the yellow bands on the doors are the wrong way up. So don’t line up with the rest of the body side gold stripes at each end. I wonder how this occurred on the real loco unless it was masked and painted wrong? If they had swapped the door handles wouldn’t line up so a bit if a curiosity. 

Ive saved enough for 1 with sound so hopefully will have enough for the pair ahead of Glasgow. 

All the best 

Mark

66078 has long had "swapped" doors - until it ended up in DB red - sometime last year

On a 66, the doors are identical per side. i.e. one side has door handles to the left, the other side to the right

g

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

66078 has long had "swapped" doors - until it ended up in DB red - sometime last year

On a 66, the doors are identical per side. i.e. one side has door handles to the left, the other side to the right

g

Thanks Mick it’s one of those little details that I hadn’t really noticed before and couldn’t work out how it occurred on the real thing. Cheers for that info. It adds to the variety and something I might need to replicate on a model. 66207 has also worked to Workington so is another future contender. 

Thanks

Mark

4 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Ahhh not more livery errors,my only issue is the engineering of the chassis should be bomb proof as it is the model,the body is the bling that can be swopped indefinatly and corrected easier.

The glue it back on comments are sad as we were the workshop of the world,never would have had this in dublo days.

Hi Eric,

Just for clarity I wasn’t pointing out any livery errors with the Hattons model. I had been comparing the models as produced to the real locos more for dates they ran with various stickers etc on the doors. It was from this I noticed the real 207 appeared with its cab doors swapped at some point creating an interesting variation as the gold band no longer lined up as designed. Something to model one day.

Thanks

Mark

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

@ShoeyThanks for that comparison.

It's hard to pick from the two bodywise - if you ask me Bachmann have done the cab doors and handles better, Hattons has a nicer grill on the side.

Weathered it picks out all the details on the loco, difficult to tell how well some of those details stand out on the unweathered Hattons version but to me not much in it.

As @ERIC ALLTORQUE says, it's under the bonnet where this model should leap beyond Bachmann with better lighting and sound.

Have to agree with you here. I think the perfect loco would be To have the Bachmann body with font and colouring, cab doors and handles, with Hattons side mirrors, grilles and chassis. (If that makes sense?)

• Friendly/supportive 1