Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

My main gripe (not just with Hattons) is that manufacturers produce amazing models and then spoil things at last minute by getting the aspects of the livery wrong - Hornby construction 60, Dapol early 73s, Heljan ‘Mainiine’ 58s for instance.  It is such a shame as some real effort at the decoration stage (by detailed comparison with photos) would save all this.  If this crucial stage of production is done well it leads to good sales.  If it is wrong, manufacturers are left with unsold stock to be sold at heavy discounts (the early Dapol 73’s being a current example).

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Is this Hattons trying to deliver my 66 direct by boat from China? The ship was photographed (from the bus) moored off Weymouth Harbour this morning.

EDIT - couldn't find the crop, reloaded the full image.

5B935962-2698-4604-A3C1-B7170D7B7079_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by john new
Photo(s) found and replaced post crash.
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, john new said:

Is this Hattons trying to deliver my 66 direct by boat from China? The ship was photographed (from the bus) moored off Weymouth Harbour this morning.

No, its going the wrong way!

Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 15.55.19.png

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Nick G said:

No, its going the wrong way!

Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 15.55.19.png

Too big for Weymouth Harbour too, though it would probably have got into Portland Port Ok instead. (Neither have the over-ship container grab cranes).

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

On its way to China with empty containers to fill with axle box caps to keep them going until they fix it

Off to China to collect containers filled with superglue and modelling books.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

One thing that isn't particularly clear... I paid the extra £10 for air freight of a sound fitted model. This extra £10 was refunded when they said they'd air freight all the models for Christmas. Then the sound fitted models got delayed until early Jan. Will my model still be air freighted with all the others who originally pre-ordered sound, or are all the remaining models on a boat?

17 hours ago, richscylla said:

Will my model still be air freighted with all the others who originally pre-ordered sound, or are all the remaining models on a boat?

Depends what you ordered.

If you ordered a product with the code H4-66-001 - H4-66-031, then it'll be here January.

If you ordered a product with the code H4-66-032 - H4-66-037, then it'll be here February/March.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

If you ordered a product with the code H4-66-001 - H4-66-031, then it'll be here January.

If you ordered a product with the code H4-66-032 - H4-66-037, then it'll be here February/March.

& that was from the last update on January 14th, so you would hope it is a reasonable estimate.

Unlike Crossrail which was proudly on time until about 3-4 months before the expected date...when it was announced that some of it was 2 years behind schedule! :blink:

• Funny 4

7 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

So it seems that if I ordered H4-66-003 then it'll arrive in January whether it was pre-ordered early or not?

A short running session featuring the superb Hattons Class 66 in DRS & EWS Liveries, edited with Real Sound. 
Sounds are provided by a number of fellow class members from my sound collection, captured at various railway outings over the past few years.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just fitted a sound chip to my Hattons 66789.

Removing the bodyshell needs to be done carefully as the delicate plastic cab door handrails curve under the chassis but are attached to the body.  

Removing and re-attaching the body requires these to be pryed sideways to prevent them from being trapped by the chassis and broken off.

I managed to break one rail off when re-attaching the body.  Luckily I found the broken rail, however supergluing it back in place is not an easy task.

In hindsight it might have been better if these rails were part of the chassis rather than the body.

This should not take anything away from this being a superb model and I am very happy with it.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Theres a you tub vid showing it on Everard Junction,Richard puts a decoder in to run his.to make the steps part of the chassis would mean colouring them different on different chassis.not going to happen as its made the body is the variations,the chassis is universal.

I googled “you tub”.  Scary stuff but but couldn’t find any decoder fitting videos...

Cheers

Darius

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

to make the steps part of the chassis would mean colouring them different on different chassis.not going to happen as its made the body is the variations,the chassis is universal. 

Possibly, although I'm more inclined to think that by having the steps fixed onto the chassis would inevitably create an unwanted and unprototypical looking gap between body and solebar - very similar to the Bachmann model in fact, whereby the representation there often left steps etc at peculiar/unrealistic angles. So it seems Hattons have opted for the most realistic looking option.   The chassis is indeed more-or-less universal, the obvious difference of course the variation between the two fuel tank sizes, but then there are also more subtle differences such as differently sized sandboxes for some later build machines etc.

cheers
Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Anyone know what happened to Hattons live stream Friday as it either never happened or its been removed.Thought it may have had 66 sound news unless Daves had enough...

They had a post on FB saying it has been postponed for a week due to issues with YouTube

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On a serious note let us hope that everyone connected with these, and any other models being made out in China, stays safe from the current medical crisis out there. Life and death is more important than me getting my Class 66.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

16 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Well we are down to the wire to have a sound fitted 66 before the end of Jan now and as stated with the medical issues do we want anything until they work out how this new flue strain works and travels.

I doubt very much it can infect a class 66 and viruses tend to need a living host - that's why we don't all have herpes - it doesn't live long outside the body.

16 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

One wonders if we could make our own models once brexit clears and do it in house as we used to rather than the back and for its wrong fix it we have now.........being yards of the DJH factory here there must be a market as people do pay to have high quality models??

Not the thread to re-open this old chestnut

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

22 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Well we are down to the wire to have a sound fitted 66 before the end of Jan now and as stated with the medical issues do we want anything until they work out how this new flue strain works and travels.

I am unaware of a press release stating this is why they are delayed...so is it?

The sound decoder was reported as being ready last autumn, so why are the sound models still delayed?

Unless we hear something from Hattons, we can only speculate, so here is mine:

I wonder if the late decision to air freight some models was a bit confusing & the wrong amount were sent this way, so they sent out the easy ones leaving the more complicated sound-fitted models to be delivered by boat? If this is the case, they may have left before the virus outbreak & could be somewhere on their journey here.

If this is the case, would you expect Hattons to openly admit it, or just try to be quiet about it? It would be consistent with their latest estimate for 'late January'.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 21/01/2020 at 17:19, richscylla said:

All this talk of the health issues in China affecting the delivery of the models doesn't make sense to me.

Hattons Dave posted on the 14th of January both on here and their website the revised delivery schedule. 

I take it the first batch were airfreighted in before xmas and the remaining models are being shipped by sea. With the delivery dates being as below and with roughly 6 weeks on the seas they must have already been shipped

Screenshot_20200128_133729_com.android.chrome.jpg.e432337d82b39f7318f56846a75f6be6.jpg

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Can't seem to remove the remains of the quotes on my phone so apologies

Edited by Pre Grouping fan
  • Like 3