Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

39 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Just out of interest for the people who received their Hattons 66s around Christmas time and had some issues with the wheels not sitting at the same height and thus wobbling on the track, has this issue ironed itself out or have you had to return the model to Hattons? 

Also for those who received their 66s with the axel boxes lose in the box or for those who's axel boxes came off during running did you manage to refit them back onto the loco and get them rotating again? If so did you follow the advice that Hattons gave or use your own method? 

Lastly, has anyone as yet bought a standard 66 and fitted their own DCC Decoder? If so did you manage to remove and refit the body without breaking/damaging the model? 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

This was covered in the thread a few pages back I think. Believe it was to do with how the bogies were resting on a part of the chassis block. Worth going back to December and reading through. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Talleng said:

For what its worth I ordered 66789 (non sound) on 11/05/2018 and it was shipped on 20/12/2019

I received it shortly after Christmas (I live in Germany) and it's done a couple of hours around my layout (roughly a 20M circuit, and its a bit rough in places)

and so far nothings fallen off. I fitted it with a DCC Zen black 21 pin decoder and all the lights etc except cab lights work fine.

very fiddly to get the body off and even more fiddle to re-fit due to the Ladders/steps but possible, even if your slightly ham fisted like me.

I like it a lot (its actually a Rule 1 Engine but hey ho...) It was last seen dragging a mixed bunch of  11 BR Mk 1 Coaches (Bachmann/Hornby railroad) and didn't

seem bothered at all.

Regards

Keith

Thanks for the reply and the info. I really appreciate it. 

Glad that you are pleased with your Large Logo 66. Out of interest did you know before fitting the decoder that the cab lighting wouldn't work due to the decoder itself or is the cab lighting not working an issue with the loco itself but you are choosing to ignore it? 

It's a shame that the body's seem so difficult to unclip and reclip back into position because of the ladders. 

But it's good to hear that these locos are powerful. They don't seem to struggle with any length of train and I have seen and heard of some really extensive trains hauled by the Hattons 66s and none of them have struggled. 

1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

This was covered in the thread a few pages back I think. Believe it was to do with how the bogies were resting on a part of the chassis block. Worth going back to December and reading through. 

That's brilliant. Yes I haven't been viewing every post and I have missed a good few pages worth of content on this thread so I will have a read through and see what's been happening. 

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I have missed a good few pages worth of content on this thread so I will have a read through and see what's been happening. 

I'm guessing that's an hour you wont get back?!

• Funny 5

8 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

That's brilliant. Yes I haven't been viewing every post and I have missed a good few pages worth of content on this thread so I will have a read through and see what's been happening. 

A precis for you - they are not here yet :D

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

9 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Glad that you are pleased with your Large Logo 66. Out of interest did you know before fitting the decoder that the cab lighting wouldn't work due to the decoder itself or is the cab lighting not working an issue with the loco itself but you are choosing to ignore it? 

It's a shame that the body's seem so difficult to unclip and reclip back into position because of the ladders. 

But it's good to hear that these locos are powerful. They don't seem to struggle with any length of train and I have seen and heard of some really extensive trains hauled by the Hattons 66s and none of them have struggled.

I did sort of know that the Cab lights wouldn't work when I fitted the decoder, I'm not 100% sure but I believe its mentioned in the instructions, unfortunately i am several hundred KM from home so can't check for you. TBH I'm not that bothered, I expect the decoder needs some CV's adjusting or something.

Regards

Keith

Edited by Talleng
  • Thanks 1

I believe bogiegate is related to ABgate.

I had a wobble when I first replaced, so removed and replaced more carefully and the wobble disappeared - assumed to be the AB rotating against the holes in the bogie sideframe.

Whatever the case, mine runs perfectly, with all AB's intact after >5 hours' running.

Al.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

The second shipment of the highly anticipated Class 66 was due to be with us at the end of January 2020.

Due to a minor issue detected during the QC process, there will be a delay on the delivery of these models.

We are working on fixing this issue, and will provide an updated delivery date for all codes as soon as we have one available.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I'm guessing that's an hour you wont get back?!

6 hours ago, woodenhead said:

A precis for you - they are not here yet :D

Haha, it's always difficult trying to keep up reading posts on popular threads such as this one. 

6 hours ago, Talleng said:

I did sort of know that the Cab lights wouldn't work when I fitted the decoder, I'm not 100% sure but I believe its mentioned in the instructions, unfortunately i am several hundred KM from home so can't check for you. TBH I'm not that bothered, I expect the decoder needs some CV's adjusting or something.

Regards

Keith

Thanks for the reply and the info. 

I'm interested in the DCC Decoders because I have used some decoders in the past and they aren't compatible with my controller when trying to run more than one loco in a consist. I was going to opt for the DCC Fitted versions of the Hattons 66s but I assume that they will be fitted with Hattons own decoders and this was one of the decoders I have not been able to use previously with my controller and when running locos in a consist. So instead I will have to buy some more Bachmann decoders and fit them myself which isn't an issue, I'm just a bit wary of removing and refitting the body when it does seem difficult to do, due to the ladders and steps been attached to the chassis. 

Don't worry about checking for me, thank you for offering. 

3 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I believe bogiegate is related to ABgate.

I had a wobble when I first replaced, so removed and replaced more carefully and the wobble disappeared - assumed to be the AB rotating against the holes in the bogie sideframe.

Whatever the case, mine runs perfectly, with all AB's intact after >5 hours' running.

Al.

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. 

So is their issues with the bogies and wheels not sitting at the same level on the track just when axel boxes have been refitted? Or has their been issues for people when axel boxes have always been intact and when none have fallen off and required refitting?

Thanks in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

1 hour ago, 89A said:

Sounds like they haven't left China yet.

If thats the case, its currently Chinese New Year, whichis due to be extended duetothe Corona Virus, and then it willtake 6 weeks by boat from China.

Therefore if thats the worse case scenario, Mid April before next shipment is ready to dispatch to customers.

15 minutes ago, Nobby (John) said:

If thats the case, its currently Chinese New Year, whichis due to be extended duetothe Corona Virus, and then it willtake 6 weeks by boat from China.

Therefore if thats the worse case scenario, Mid April before next shipment is ready to dispatch to customers.

I would agree, but this is inconsistent with Hattons last statement on January 14th which said they would be available in late January.

Maybe they are checking them in the UK? That doesn't make much sense either because surely it is easier to fix any faults in the factory where they are made?

My brain hurts. I'm going to stop thinking about this & do some work on the layout.

56 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Haha, it's always difficult trying to keep up reading posts on popular threads such as this one. 

Thanks for the reply and the info. 

I'm interested in the DCC Decoders because I have used some decoders in the past and they aren't compatible with my controller when trying to run more than one loco in a consist. I was going to opt for the DCC Fitted versions of the Hattons 66s but I assume that they will be fitted with Hattons own decoders and this was one of the decoders I have not been able to use previously with my controller and when running locos in a consist. So instead I will have to buy some more Bachmann decoders and fit them myself which isn't an issue, I'm just a bit wary of removing and refitting the body when it does seem difficult to do, due to the ladders and steps been attached to the chassis. 

Don't worry about checking for me, thank you for offering. 

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. 

So is their issues with the bogies and wheels not sitting at the same level on the track just when axel boxes have been refitted? Or has their been issues for people when axel boxes have always been intact and when none have fallen off and required refitting?

Thanks in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Have you seen the YouTube video that hattons did with legomanbiffo and Mick from new bryford? Lots of info about about dcc decoders on there and in the instructions on the website it says that with cablights they will not work with a 4 and 6 function decoder. But will with the sound decoder as that has more functions.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Nobby (John) said:

Due to the virus, Some of the suppliers ive dealt with in my industry (IT) have today announced stopped any plans of shipping from China through until March, their original dates were resumption from  Feb 2nd, then put back until Feb 11th.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, gary_lner said:

Have you seen the YouTube video that hattons did with legomanbiffo and Mick from new bryford? Lots of info about about dcc decoders on there and in the instructions on the website it says that with cablights they will not work with a 4 and 6 function decoder. But will with the sound decoder as that has more functions.

No I haven't seen this video. Do you happen to know which DCC Decoder the Hattons 66s will accept so that all of the functions including the cab lights will work? If not I will find and watch the video. 

Thanks in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

25 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

No I haven't seen this video. Do you happen to know which DCC Decoder the Hattons 66s will accept so that all of the functions including the cab lights will work? If not I will find and watch the video. 

Thanks in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

I think their own decoder (mentioned in the manual in the box and available through the website. Which is set up for the 66 and is what will be fitted to DCC fitted versions. Can't tell you how God their decoders are in general though. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I think their own decoder (mentioned in the manual in the box and available through the website. Which is set up for the 66 and is what will be fitted to DCC fitted versions. Can't tell you how God their decoders are in general though. 

I might buy DCC Fitted 66s then if the Hattons decoders are good. I'm just sure a few years ago I had some issues with putting locos together in a consist, although you would like to think that Hattons have made a consist with two more more of their 66s fitted with their own decoders to ensure that the locos do work in multiple. 

I suppose I could buy DCC Fitted 66s and if the Hattons decoders don't work to form a consist I could buy Bachmann decoders and sell the Hattons ones. 

57 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Thanks in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

No problem at all. It seems from the video and instructions for dcc sound they use a ESU Loksound 5  21 pin chip. Withh cab lighting being on f19. But it doesn't say what they will use on the dcc fitted versions maybe a 6 function 21 pin hattons chip but that won't do the can lighting either. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gary_lner said:

No problem at all. It seems from the video and instructions for dcc sound they use a ESU Loksound 5  21 pin chip. Withh cab lighting being on f19. But it doesn't say what they will use on the dcc fitted versions maybe a 6 function 21 pin hattons chip but that won't do the can lighting either. 

Very interesting. I wonder which decoders they will use to make the cab lights work. 

Does the DCC only one have all the lighting functions of the sound ones? I aren't sure they do!

Having looked in the manual:

"Cab lights cannot be controlled and will not light on 6  function control."

Edited by TomScrut
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Does the DCC only one have all the lighting functions of the sound ones? I aren't sure they do!

Having looked in the manual:

"Cab lights cannot be controlled and will not light on 6  function control."

Interesting. I wonder if any standard decoder can control/operate the cab lights.