Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

3 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

I wonder what is happening with all these returned 66s.. hope they aren't being skipped, I'd happily buy a few to repair..?

Would imagine the manufacturer has to take them back but not sure Or they may sell them off but would imagine Hattons will not be to happy if theres loads being sent back, the one thing I will say and it has been said before on this thread, the customer service is excellent.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Steveh145 said:

Evening all,

does anyone have the 66/6 variant and if yes have you noticed only one of the marker lights works? This is the 3rd one I have had due to issues and when I have ran in on dc on a rolling road before installing a decoder once again only one of the marker lights works? Not sure if it is just this model? (66621) if anyone has noticed this?

regards 

Steve

Hi Steve, I've checked our sample models of 66621 and they show two operational marker lights (above the cab windows and left when looking front-on at loco) as opposed to all three. Leave this with me as I'll be checking this with our vendor.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi Steve, I've checked our sample models of 66621 and they show two operational marker lights (above the cab windows and left when looking front-on at loco) as opposed to all three. Leave this with me as I'll be checking this with our vendor.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply it seems strange that it is only on this variant, as the 66/5 and 66/0 all 3 marker lights work as per prototype, also maybe worth checking your dcc fitted one as when I fit a decoder (your own product) 0 does not switch on as per others?

Regards

Steve

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/02/2020 at 12:17, Steveh145 said:

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply it seems strange that it is only on this variant, as the 66/5 and 66/0 all 3 marker lights work as per prototype, also maybe worth checking your dcc fitted one as when I fit a decoder (your own product) 0 does not switch on as per others?

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve, Function 0 should turn on the marker lights in the direction of travel, if no lights are coming on, you may need to reconfigure the switches inside the loco.  The instructions on how to do this are included in the box.  If all of this is as it should be, it sounds like it may be a faulty loco, in which case I would get in touch with our returns team at info@hattons.co.uk

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi Steve, Function 0 should turn on the marker lights in the direction of travel, if no lights are coming on, you may need to reconfigure the switches inside the loco.  The instructions on how to do this are included in the box.  If all of this is as it should be, it sounds like it may be a faulty loco, in which case I would get in touch with our returns team at info@hattons.co.uk

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, function 0 only turns on the top marker light, and according to the instructions all the switches are as they should be, this is the second loco I have had that has had this issue (same model), just double checked and 0 only turns top marker light on, functions 1/2 tail lights and 3/4 other marker lights? Not sure whether there is an issue with this batch of loco

regarding the lighting? When I sent this back last time I did state it in my covering letter, would you be able to confirm before I return this for an exchange if there is an issue or I have been unlucky?

regards 

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My DC (DCC ready) Colas 66848 has the same issue. Top marker light and only one marker light illuminated! The one marker light that is illuminated is the one next to the day time running headlight (so left one as you are looking front on) the marker light next to the night time headlight doesn’t seem to be working at all. It’s the same on both ends...

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm using a Zimo MX634D in my 66, configured as a MX634C (which takes 5th and 6th functions and makes them logic level not full), and it works as expected per the manual. No cab light control, also as per the manual for a 6-function DCC decoder. It would be good to hear from Hattons on what the *actual* requirements are for cab light control - 8 or 10 function? Full or logic level? The place I got the Zimo from couldn't even get cab lights working with a loksound 5 per the manual... so he's not sure what they have done. :unsure:

Edited by SimonMW
Typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yes it seems odd, both my 66/0 & 66/5 work fine but just this 66/6 does not seem to work as per the others and all the switches are the same on all 3 locos and I have used hattons 21 pin 6 function decoders on all 3 and have swapped a couple around to make sure it is not a duff decoder, hopefully (Hattons Dave) would be able to test a dcc fitted one and let us know if this is just our locos or a faulty batch.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/02/2020 at 23:25, SimonMW said:

I'm using a Zimo MX634D in my 66, configured as a MX634C (which takes 5th and 6th functions and makes them logic level not full), and it works as expected per the manual. No cab light control, also as per the manual for a 6-function DCC decoder. It would be good to hear from Hattons on what the *actual* requirements are for cab light control - 8 or 10 function? Full or logic level? The place I got the Zimo from couldn't even get cab lights working with a loksound 5 per the manual... so he's not sure what they have done. :unsure:

I installed a Zimo MX644D (8functions) and tried to find the cab lights - unfortunately without success. 

42 minutes ago, Vecchio said:

I installed a Zimo MX644D (8functions) and tried to find the cab lights - unfortunately without success. 

I suppose it depends on which outputs they are on the sound model. I am presuming the sound model doesn't have any soldered connections to the chip?

• RMweb Premium

As a 21 pin MTC plug is used there shouldn't be any wire necessary. The only wire I had to add on was the speaker - but there were 2 soldering pads on Hattons PCB - so no soldering to the chip or socket.

• RMweb Premium

If I am reading this right, and I am no expert on DCC. The 66/6 version of the loco have all these singing and dancing light combinations but you can only access the full range if you have a sound chip (the one one supplied with the sound fitted models), and so far no non sound chip will access all those functions?

2 hours ago, Vecchio said:

As a 21 pin MTC plug is used there shouldn't be any wire necessary. The only wire I had to add on was the speaker - but there were 2 soldering pads on Hattons PCB - so no soldering to the chip or socket.

Surely that depends on how many outputs are required? 21pin MTC only supports 8 as far as I am aware (within standard).

From what I can see the Hattons 66 will need 8 or 10 outputs depending on how the top light is wired:

Day running x2

Night running x2

Red marker x2

Cab x2

Top running lamp x2? Given this operates with both day and night lamps it could be handled by decoder logic, or by circuit board logic making it a bit of an unknown if 8 outputs are enough.

If it needs 10, and the cabs are 9 and 10 then it would need to be soldered?

Edited by TomScrut

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Surely that depends on how many outputs are required? 21pin MTC only supports 8 as far as I am aware (within standard).

From what I can see the Hattons 66 will need 8 or 10 outputs depending on how the top light is wired:...

If it needs 10, and the cabs are 9 and 10 then it would need to be soldered?

I doubt any soldering is required at all...from the below extract from ESU's own LokSound V5 manual, the 21MTC interface supports 12 function outputs:

http://www.esu.eu/download/betriebsanleitungen/digitaldecoder/

image.png.c0d73cabc7c71c3e7cc3bea7e7ad4c8b.png

AUX1 to AUX7 inclusive, and AUX10 to 12 inclusive makes 10, plus FOF and FOR (headlight and rear light). From what I've heard, a 'full' fat version has been used in the factory sound-fitted 66 giving more powered function outputs (not logic level) than any standard variant, and thus there may be trouble getting other decoders/other variants to reproduce this functionality. Having not had a play with one though, I wouldn't know for sure.

Jack.

52 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

I doubt any soldering is required at all...from the below extract from ESU's own LokSound V5 manual, the 21MTC interface supports 12 function outputs:

http://www.esu.eu/download/betriebsanleitungen/digitaldecoder/

image.png.c0d73cabc7c71c3e7cc3bea7e7ad4c8b.png

AUX1 to AUX7 inclusive, and AUX10 to 12 inclusive makes 10, plus FOF and FOR (headlight and rear light). From what I've heard, a 'full' fat version has been used in the factory sound-fitted 66 giving more powered function outputs (not logic level) than any standard variant, and thus there may be trouble getting other decoders/other variants to reproduce this functionality. Having not had a play with one though, I wouldn't know for sure.

Jack.

I was just going off the spec for 21 MTC which has other stuff on the pins they use for functions. Unless the standard has changed?

https://dccwiki.com/21MTC_Connector

The data and sensor stuff.

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I was just going off the spec for 21 MTC which has other stuff on the pins they use for functions. Unless the standard has changed?

https://dccwiki.com/21MTC_Connector

The data and sensor stuff.

I'm not sure tbh, although all decoders can be configured to suit. As Pete says, it'd be nice for Hattons to supply a spec listing which pins on the 21MTC interface in the loco are connected to which lights, and which pins need full power capability or must be logic.

As an aside, ESU have just released their LokPilot 5, which is stated on the website as having "at least 10 amplified function outputs", so providing these align correctly with the 66 wiring, this may allow full lighting control.

In any case, the ability to control every single lighting option should be seen as a blessing, and I hope more manufacturers follow suit.

Jack.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

I'm not sure tbh, although all decoders can be configured to suit. As Pete says, it'd be nice for Hattons to supply a spec listing which pins on the 21MTC interface in the loco are connected to which lights, and which pins need full power capability or must be logic.

As an aside, ESU have just released their LokPilot 5, which is stated on the website as having "at least 10 amplified function outputs", so providing these align correctly with the 66 wiring, this may allow full lighting control.

In any case, the ability to control every single lighting option should be seen as a blessing, and I hope more manufacturers follow suit.

Jack.

IIRC some of the higher function outputs on a Loksound V5 are only available as logic level via the 21MTC connector and as amplified outputs via solder pads

I would hazard a guess that the Lokpilot5 is similar.

Depending upon which type of Loksound V5 will also determine the number of full power on the 21 MTC. Some have 4, some have 6.

I think it's upthread that the Hattons 66 wil use the 56449 MKL version (6 full power)

14 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

Yes, I was impressed with Bachmann's 90, but that did not show parking lights.

Am I mistaken or does the Hatton's 55 not allow rear lights only. This would be useful because they top & tail engineering trains & RHTT (which of course is a Hattons Original model).

Edited by Pete the Elaner

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Yes, I was impressed with Bachmann's 90, but that did not show parking lights.

Am I mistaken or does the Hatton's 55 not allow rear lights only. This would be useful because they top & tail engineering trains & RHTT (which of course is a Hattons Original model).

I believe that even with a four function decoder, the tail lights are switched via F1/F2. F0 controls directional headlights - day or night is selected via an internal switch.

So they can be used on the rear of TnT trains. F0 off, and F1 or F2 on depending which end needs to be red only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack374 said:

Cool will have a look at that and see what's new vs the V4 which all my locos have at the moment.

I suppose once we get factory sound ones coming through all will be clear, even if it means sweeping through the CV logic tables to see how it is programmed.

2 minutes ago, Alan Oliver said:

Does anybody know if the 66’s have left the factory or are they still in production or even start production, I did contact Hattons for a straight answer but no luck. Thanks 

I doubt you will get anything other than their official statement that it is 'delayed'.

I don't blame them either. I find reusing to commit to something less annoying than failing to meet a commitment.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Alan Oliver said:

Does anybody know if the 66’s have left the factory or are they still in production or even start production, I did contact Hattons for a straight answer but no luck. Thanks 

13 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I doubt you will get anything other than their official statement that it is 'delayed'.

I don't blame them either. I find reusing to commit to something less annoying than failing to meet a commitment.

As far as I read it, @Alan Oliver's not asking for a commitment to a delivery date, but simply a status update on the stage in the pipeline. If they're already on the high seas, the virus epidemic is less of an issue.