Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

1 minute ago, classy52 said:

Ooh you're a big tease :jester:...yep that's the one with the Castle Cement PCA's 

Loads of them pull Castle PCAs, although I know a lot of these in pics below aren't available from Hattons I would probably go as far as saying almost any GBRF 66 could be argued as being prototypical for modern day? Is there any reason why any one (or more) loco might not be used in the future for this even if there isn't a photo of it in the past? I use either of my aforementioned GBRF 66s with my PCAs and will use my new one with them too.

Interesting mention from the pics is 743 as it is probably the most versatile of the lot in terms of what to run it with?

Also there some older pics of DB/EWS with them on Flickr.

66718 - 6M35. 66770 (6V35) Class 66709 at Ruston Countryside 66743 (6S45) GBRf Class 66 66789-'British Rail 1948-1997' - Lostock Hall Junction.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Dave is the issue with the programming on the factory fit decoder or the wiring/circuit board?

Hi Tom 

It appears to be with the wiring in the loco itself.

I'm investigating this further and hope to be able to provide an update early next week.

14 hours ago, classy52 said:

Hi Dave,

With the DCC Sound Fitted Class 66's does sold out on pre-order mean that I've missed the boat on that factory sound fitted loco/livery or will they be available again once all the pre-orders have been fulfilled?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve

We have now sold out of several of the factory fitted versions but depending on which version you wanted we may have another still available in the same livery.

We do also have a small amount of Sure Sound decoders with Rail Rumble speakers available to purchase separately for people who would like to enhance a Digital Ready or Digital Fitted version of a particular locomotive.

If you would like to add one of these decoders to a non-sound version then you can get in touch with our Helpdesk on 0151 733 3655.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi Steve

We have now sold out of several of the factory fitted versions but depending on which version you wanted we may have another still available in the same livery.

We do also have a small amount of Sure Sound decoders with Rail Rumble speakers available to purchase separately for people who would like to enhance a Digital Ready or Digital Fitted version of a particular locomotive.

If you would like to add one of these decoders to a non-sound version then you can get in touch with our Helpdesk on 0151 733 3655.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for getting back...just on retro fitting the Sure Sound decoder with Rail Rumble speakers just wanted to confirm if Hattons also provide a fitting service for these to a DCC Ready version at the point of sale?

Cheers

Steve

1 hour ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi Tom 

It appears to be with the wiring in the loco itself.

I'm investigating this further and hope to be able to provide an update early next week.

Hi Steve

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Upgrading some of my orders to have sound fitted will probably be the direction I am going as I have had to watch the funds... how easy is it to do this on the Hattons website?

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Thanks for getting back...just on retro fitting the Sure Sound decoder with Rail Rumble speakers just wanted to confirm if Hattons also provide a fitting service for these to a DCC Ready version at the point of sale?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve

We certainly can perform the fitting service as well if required.

Just mention this to the team and they'll be able to add it on to the order for you.

10 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Upgrading some of my orders to have sound fitted will probably be the direction I am going as I have had to watch the funds... how easy is it to do this on the Hattons website?

Hello David

The 66 decoders aren't available on the website. This would need to be done by the Helpdesk team as a manual process.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• Thanks 2

That's surprising that all the main sound fitted ones have gone, can't have been that many ordered :/

I have been repeatedly told by my local model shop that he will be stocking all the Hattons 66s including sound versions, and so have refrained from pre-ordering direct. Is this correct that the 66s will be available from other shops?

I'm also concerned that one of the examples I want (66621) has an issue with the marker lights, is this the case on the sound version too?

1 hour ago, The Black Hat said:

I've just done the same thing as I missed the boat on the large logo 66. I just pre ordered a dcc ready 66 and have the orfer number to the online Chat who have just updated my pre order list to show the decoder and fitting service charge aswell. Seems alot of the sound fitted 66s have sold out so this is the easiest option to go down.

Regards Gary

31 minutes ago, gary_lner said:

I've just done the same thing as I missed the boat on the large logo 66. I just pre ordered a dcc ready 66 and have the orfer number to the online Chat who have just updated my pre order list to show the decoder and fitting service charge aswell. Seems alot of the sound fitted 66s have sold out so this is the easiest option to go down.

Regards Gary

Did you install match the price of sound fitted engines?

20 minutes ago, gary_lner said:

No unfortunately not. By doing the upgrade as Dave suggested it's £130 for the decoder and speaker and £12 for the fitting of the decoder and speaker.

I was quoted by the Hattons Helpdesk of £302 for the DCC Ready Class 66 Loco, Sure Sound Decoder & Rail Rumble Speakers & fitting thus its a decent increase over the factory fitted sound version of £265.

I'll wait for the next batch of available sound fitted versions and not procrastinate like I did on these.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, classy52 said:

I was quoted by the Hattons Helpdesk of £302 for the DCC Ready Class 66 Loco, Sure Sound Decoder & Rail Rumble Speakers & fitting thus its a decent increase over the factory fitted sound version of £265.

I'll wait for the next batch of available sound fitted versions and not procrastinate like I did on these.

I did see a link a few pages back for the decoder. But not sure if that includes a speaker and then it would be a case of fitting it myself or paying for it to be fitted so I took the easy option. Agreed lesson learned there didn't realise sound would be so popular. Well done to hattons in that sense as it's looking like a great seller in the Dcc world anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SouthernMafia said:

That's surprising that all the main sound fitted ones have gone, can't have been that many ordered :/

I have been repeatedly told by my local model shop that he will be stocking all the Hattons 66s including sound versions, and so have refrained from pre-ordering direct. Is this correct that the 66s will be available from other shops?

I'm also concerned that one of the examples I want (66621) has an issue with the marker lights, is this the case on the sound version too?

Hi SouthernMafia

The 66s are only available directly from ourselves rather than from any other retailers.

In regards to the lights on the previously mentioned sound fitted versions, this is something I will be testing and providing an update on as soon as possible.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• Informative/Useful 5

8 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I am presuming that's how you can make and sell them for £150 when they must be dearer to make than the alternatives?

Commercially sensitive info, they are not going to discuss profit/ manufacturing cost now are they ?

• Agree 7

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Commercially sensitive info, they are not going to discuss profit/ manufacturing cost now are they ?

I think you are reading too much into what I was asking TBH. I was not asking for specifics, i.e. sensitive information such as the cost of manufacture as a figure, or a "ours is £X more expensive than whoever's but we don't have a dealer to worry about" statement. And common sense would suggest that out of the 3 OO gauge 66 models available this would be the most expensive to make, and probably the only one with tooling left to account for financially. But it would seem the only one without a dealer network. Hardly something that is a secret.

There are situations in the wider world where "We can offer you a better product for similar prices to our competition by cutting out the middle man" is the main marketing message. So I don't feel what I said was in any way an unreasonable question. If I had asked "How much does it cost to make", which regardless of how ridiculous a question it would be, an answer wouldn't actually tell anybody anything anyway!

And if they aren't selling through dealers I don't feel it is unreasonable to presume it is because their business model doesn't include a cut for a dealer. Maybe because they don't need dealers, maybe because it would be a more expensive product with dealers involved, probably both?

It's also worth noting a similar statement was made by Dapol about their sound class 68s, where they only sell factory sound direct as the RRP doesn't accommodate for dealers.

Edited by TomScrut

On 12/02/2020 at 12:54, Hattons Dave said:

Hi Steve, I have checked a couple of our locos and it looks like the marker light has been put on the same function as the headlight, this is different from the specification and what we had on other samples so we will be taking it up with our vendor to see if there is a fix to make it run as it should. This affects codes ending: 010, 017, 019, 024, 026, 029 and 030.

If the marker light is not working with the headlights then there will be a fault with your model, in  which case get in touch and we can replace it for you.

Regarding the cab lights. They run on Aux 7 & Aux 10 front and rear on our Loksound 5 project. For other decoders, they are fed from pins 2 & 1 and are a logic function, this should help you get them working on other decoders. 

Cheers, 

Dave

Hi Dave,

The other thing I forgot too mention was that also the marker lights do not change with the direction neither, which I realise they will not as we now know there is a wiring issue, So do you know if its the whole batch or just a few and do you have any of this model left that is not affected as I would like to exchange?

regards 

Steve

4 hours ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi SouthernMafia

The 66s are only available directly from ourselves rather than from any other retailers.

In regards to the lights on the previously mentioned sound fitted versions, this is something I will be testing and providing an update on as soon as possible.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

That's worrying,

Wanting to support my local model railway shop as best I can, I placed an order for 4 locos with my local model railway shop last May (when the expected delivery date was Aug 2019). I popped in to see them in Nov and was told that everything was fine, the owner had been speaking to a lady at Hattons and the ETA would be Dec, which I knew anyway from posts on this forum, and to be honest, I was happy to wait until after Christmas.

I'll give the owner a call tomorrow when they are open, but I am concerned that Hatton may not be supplying to him, and you've said that some models are now sold-out.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I hate to be the bearer of further bad news, but having just pre-ordered 66621 with sound in light of the recent availability bombshell, I can't find any pictures of it with the lower front valance thing yellow as Hattons have modelled, it appears to be the black version. 66621 was going to be renumbered anyway but is now only suitable for other members of the 66/5 class and 66607-613, and it doesn't seem to be correct. Visually,are there any differences between a 66/5 such as 66546 and a 66/6?

Pics Hattons/loco+

H4-66-017-S_3398603_Qty1_1.jpg

2020-02-13_07-53-47.jpg

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

I hate to be the bearer of further bad news, but having just pre-ordered 66621 with sound in light of the recent availability bombshell, I can't find any pictures of it with the lower front valance thing yellow as Hattons have modelled, it appears to be the black version. 66621 was going to be renumbered anyway but is now only suitable for other members of the 66/5 class and 66607-613, and it doesn't seem to be correct. Visually,are there any differences between a 66/5 such as 66546 and a 66/6?

Pics Hattons/loco+

H4-66-017-S_3398603_Qty1_1.jpg

2020-02-13_07-53-47.jpg

Tin of black Humbrol?

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

13 minutes ago, john new said:

Tin of black Humbrol?

Yup certainly doable...but for £265 I shouldn't have to be doing it.

I had to do a similar thing with a Bachmann model, and masking over those 4 raised bits isn't easy!

Edited by SouthernMafia
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

masking over those 4 raised bits isn't easy!

Have you tried painting them with Maskol or PVA wood glue? That for the raised parts, and tape for the straight line is how I would do it.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SouthernMafia said:

I had to do a similar thing with a Bachmann model, and masking over those 4 raised bits isn't easy!

Agree, price is very high for a model with flaws. 

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, john new said:

Agree, price is very high for a model with flaws. 

Take the sound price off.

Now down to £150.

Plenty of other models with (more) flaws around at that price point puts it into perspective.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

Love how you spot the yellow but not the light surrounds! Pretty minor issues and easily resolved. 
Almost every loco is bespoke so they were bound to get a couple of minor points wrong.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Andy7 said:

Love how you spot the yellow but not the light surrounds! Pretty minor issues and easily resolved. 
Almost every loco is bespoke so they were bound to get a couple of minor points wrong.

Agreed.   A lot of picking over very minor livery issues.  Hattons is to be congratulated for producing these class 66 locos. Well done Hattons.

For your next model you could save yourselves a lot of headaches by supplying it in grey plastic and let the customers paint them themselves.  

PS only joking about the grey plastic ;)

• Like 2
  • Funny 4