Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Are Hattons at Model Rail Scotland this weekend,would be nice to see some production batch models in the flesh

Would be nice to see the later additions like Cemex and As One we Can before the postie has to lug them up my footpath.

Hi Eric,

We're not at Model Rail Scotland this year.

The next exhibition we'll be attending is the London Festival of Railway Modelling at Alexandra Palace towards the end of March.

You can see all the events that we're currently attending on THIS page of our website.

Cheers,

Dave

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I’ll probably get shot down for this, but I find a lot of modellers a fickle bunch.

they moan like stink about rising prices then , when a product comes, they are as happy as Larry to accept bits that fall off, poorly researched paint schemes, lights that don’t.....

I don’t think it’s overly critical to expect close to 100 %. After all if I brought a Hoover for £150, I wouldn’t expect it to have issues and if it did it would go straight back. I’m the same for models, and , it’s NOT modelling to expect people to put these things right. It’s home based amateur QC..

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I don’t think it’s overly critical to expect close to 100 %. After all if I brought a Hoover for £150, I wouldn’t expect it to have issues and if it did it would go straight back. I’m the same for models, and , it’s NOT modelling to expect people to put these things right. It’s home based amateur QC..

My Heljan hoover cost me a lot more than £150. :D

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

I’ll probably get shot down for this, but I find a lot of modellers a fickle bunch.

they moan like stink about rising prices then , when a product comes, they are as happy as Larry to accept bits that fall off, poorly researched paint schemes, lights that don’t.....

Hi Rob,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I’m certain that nobody here is happy when issues come to light with a new product, including all of us at Hattons.

We aren’t expecting or encouraging anyone to undertake any kind of solution if they’re uncomfortable in doing so as it would involve an advanced amount of electronics knowledge and proficiency. 

We encourage any customer who is unhappy to get in touch to return any affected models.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

It depends what is wrong with the hoover. If there is some critical functionality issue then yeah most people would probably take it back. If there is a minor idiosyncracy it has that does not massively affect its function then probably not. I would call this lighting issue one of those issues not a major functionality issue.

And the expectation from Hattons appears to be live with it or return it. They don't appear to be endorsing modifications by the customer.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi Rob,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I’m certain that nobody here is happy when issues come to light with a new product, including all of us at Hattons.

We aren’t expecting or encouraging anyone to undertake any kind of solution if they’re uncomfortable in doing so as it would involve an advanced amount of electronics knowledge and proficiency. 

We encourage any customer who is unhappy to get in touch to return any affected models.

Cheers,

Dave

That’s not aimed at you Dave ,

I’ve had some great service and products from you guys over the years, and I’m sure, in time the 66 will be the ultimate shed once the niggles are ironed out.

if you get the EWS font right on subsequent versions, I’ll be right there at the front of the queue.

2 hours ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi Eric,

We're not at Model Rail Scotland this year.

The next exhibition we'll be attending is the London Festival of Railway Modelling at Alexandra Palace towards the end of March.

You can see all the events that we're currently attending on THIS page of our website.

Cheers,

Dave

Still enjoying my Hattons tea mug...will it be possible to buy a ONE livery 66 at Ally Pally?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, letterspider said:

Still enjoying my Hattons tea mug...will it be possible to buy a ONE livery 66 at Ally Pally?

Hi letterspider,

We are intending to have some of our exclusives available for sale at Ally Pally but as I don’t yet have a revised delivery date for the 66s I can’t promise they will be available at the show.

I will be able to provide an accurate update closer to the time.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Could you offer the circuit board and lighting circuits as a replacement you would only need the 6 solder connections for wheels and motor swapping or get that as a service for current models or create just a new lighting circuit with the markers joined together with a transistor from each headlight to feed them then just solder the 4 wires from existing main circuit board

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, pteandy1402 said:

Could you offer the circuit board and lighting circuits as a replacement you would only need the 6 solder connections for wheels and motor swapping or get that as a service for current models or create just a new lighting circuit with the markers joined together with a transistor from each headlight to feed them then just solder the 4 wires from existing main circuit board

Since the factory made the error I think it would not be unreasonable of Hattons to ask them to provide replacement circuit boards. These could be offered free to purchasers of the relevant locos to fit themselves.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Since the factory made the error I think it would not be unreasonable of Hattons to ask them to provide replacement circuit boards. These could be offered free to purchasers of the relevant locos to fit themselves.

If the factory made the error then I would accept this as reasonable. I have not seen Hattons state this though.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 17/02/2020 at 15:00, Hattons Dave said:

Where is the marker light fault located? And can this part be easily removed or replaced? 

The fault is on the small circuit boards under the cabs that have the LEDs on them.  ........

Who checks the models before production?

As with any of our exclusive projects, the models are checked at multiple stages before they reach production. We try as far as possible to also share details with customers and get their feedback at each stage, which we have done recently with the initial CADs for the Plasser Crane HERE. However, for this project we did not notice the error early enough. 

On 15/02/2020 at 11:20, Hattons Dave said:

Will future announcements of large headlight Class 66s have the correct marker light wiring?

We are working with our vendors to determine if this is possible

On 14/02/2020 at 17:02, Hattons Dave said:

What is the issue with the marker lights on certain versions of the Hattons Class 66?

The lower marker lights on large-headlight versions (see next question) are wired-up together with the main day/night headlights.

It is not possible to display both lower marker lights at the same time, or the marker lights without the day/night headlights.

Can the marker light issue be resolved?

Not as far as we know

Why can’t the marker light issue be resolved?

Due to the way the lighting boards at each end of the locomotive are wired up there is no practical way to separate the lower marker lights from the day/night headlights.

Pete it is reasonable to conclude from these quotes that there is a fault in the wiring of the circuit board. Hattons are checking with their vendor so it reasonable to conclude that the vendor, and not Hattons manufactured the circuit boards.

Edited by Colin_McLeod

On 18/02/2020 at 19:38, TomScrut said:

Glue splashes won't be listed individually in the same way as when you bought yours it won't have been?

can't compare to be honest. I bought 66789 as a new model, but I have returned the model as it is defective with the glue splash. Any that are re-sold will have to have the defects listed or they are repaired and sold on.

I do wonder what will happen to the returned models as I am in the process of returning 66621 but the whole item can't be re-sold as 66621 as the numbers on the side are now 66612.

Now if there was an option to buy defective ones, I would be interested in buying them for static display, TnT, DIT etc

2 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Pete it is reasonable to conclude from these quotes that there is a fault in the wiring of the circuit board. Hattons are checking with their vendor so it reasonable to conclude that the vendor, and not Hattons manufactured the circuit boards.

It may not be a simple as that.

The vendor, manufacturer, and designer of the circuit board may, or may not, be the same party.

But there's also the specification; was that different for the large headlight version? We might assume that it was; but, if so, why was the design not checked against it?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Dicky L said:

Another question for Hattons Dave whilst lights are the current hot topic here.

Do you have any future plans for variants using the “New LED headlight cluster”as per the photo from the link you posted earlier in this thread. 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=718

616572FF-267E-49A5-AE45-E8A4957EBC93.jpeg

yes! all the models listed in the link you posted!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, daz9284 said:

yes! all the models listed in the link you posted!

Read it again. 

no models have that light configuration on them.

the clue is above the photo. 

Edited by Dicky L
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Thanks for the questions that have come in overnight, I’ll break down the answers below.

Who made the error that resulted in the lighting issue for the “large headlight” models?

It appears that a couple of factors contributed to this.

1. We didn’t specify clearly enough the marker light requirements for the “large headlight” versions.

2. The factory then wired it up in a more direct way to simplify production.

Can you offer replacement circuit boards for the “large headlight” models?

We are not able to offer this as a solution. As previously mentioned, any customer who is unhappy with their model is more than welcome to return it to us, either to exchange for a different version or for a refund if preferred.

What happens to models that have been returned?

This will vary depending on the exact reason a particular model is returned. Faulty models will never be re-listed to be sold as new. If we do re-list anything where an issue needs to be noted we will include this with our pre-owned stock where the title will reflect the condition of the item.

Are there any future plans for further Class 66s with the “New LED Headlight Cluster” style of headlights?

We currently have no plans to add any additional versions with this style of headlights.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It does appear that 'the very serious condition' appears to be being better controlled.

Our own laboratory in Tianjin, MILES from the centre of the outbreak but nevertheless affected have been allowed to return to work.

If this is a general indication that there is a feeling that the virus is under control, and indeed might have affected the 'second delivery' of the 66's, is there a delivery date other than FEB / MAR for them?

Thanks,

Al.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

It does appear that 'the very serious condition' appears to be being better controlled.

Our own laboratory in Tianjin, MILES from the centre of the outbreak but nevertheless affected have been allowed to return to work.

If this is a general indication that there is a feeling that the virus is under control, and indeed might have affected the 'second delivery' of the 66's, is there a delivery date other than FEB / MAR for them?

Thanks,

Al.

As save posted in one of his comments above, there's no other delivery date yet and it will be updated when more information is known

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Thanks,

Al.

Thats the danger of the virus, complacency.

Its only under control after 28 days of no Infection being detected. (14 days incubation followed by plus 14 days to catch any potential of undetected)... thats how they beat Ebola, I’d imagine this wouldn't be any different.

it started by 1 person, it can reemerge from 1 person.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

To sum up from Daves last posting given that there were 'misunderstandings' between Hattons and the Manufacturers I would say the following apply

1. You can return your model for an exchange.

2. You can fix it yourself/or get someone  with the requisite skills to do it for you.

3. Live with it

4. Not live with it and cancel your order

These problems were unfortunate and mistakes happen, I am sure Hattons have learned a salutary lesson with this 66 but one hopes that it will not put them off commissioning other ground breaking models. We must bear in mind that the lighting options on this 66 reach far beyond any other models, and it is only one type of lighting that is affected. I am sure if there are further runs of 66s in future Hattons will rectify the problem lights (and paintwork). When all is said and done Hattons 66 imperfections pale into insignificance compared with Bachmanns total b***s up of the Modified Hall.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

Can I ask a question.

I have 66789 in GBRf that appears to have had the axle boxes glued on in about three places. There is a significant amount of cyanoacrylate glue or similar on them and this was as received from new !

Additionally one of the axle boxes keeps pinging off and I've tried to place it back on several times but it keeps coming off.

From all the info above, and my lack of full working knowledge on the lighting on this variant, are the lighting issues above the same on this model ?

If that is the case then I will now be sending mine back for a refund

Apologies but id be grateful if someone could help.

Many thanks

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1