Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

2 minutes ago, Krieghoff said:

Can I ask a question.

I have 66789 in GBRf that appears to have had the axle boxes glued on in about three places. There is a significant amount of cyanoacrylate glue or similar on them and this was as received from new !

Additionally one of the axle boxes keeps pinging off and I've tried to place it back on several times but it keeps coming off.

From all the info above, and my lack of full working knowledge on the lighting on this variant, are the lighting issues above the same on this model ?

If that is the case then I will now be sending mine back for a refund

Apologies but id be grateful if someone could help.

Many thanks

Hi there,

As Dave has stated in the past, I would recommend you contact Hattons Customer Service directly.

Here people will simply offer their opinions - some may give their personal experience, but I think the direct contact way would be the best.

Al.

• Agree 6

12 minutes ago, Krieghoff said:

...66789 in GBRf...

From all the info above, and my lack of full working knowledge on the lighting on this variant, are the lighting issues above the same on this model ?

I don’t believe so. The lighting issue only affects large headlight models, not WIPAC headlight cluster (like 66789) variants. The models affected are those with outer headlights around twice the diameter of the smaller, inner marker lights.

Jack.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

This issue where people are getting New boxed models with superglue damage on them is disgusting,the question is are these from China in this state or are they doing the gluing here and just been careless doing it.

As stated the LL blue is all good with the lighting as its not a large headlight model. My concern is the sound models come and are ruined by glue on them.If its repairs done here far more care needs to be taken by those doing this.

TBH I am less understanding/sympathetic on the glue issue. The circuit board thing is a design error that is actually just one mistake that once put into motion is something very costly to correct.

The glue issue on the other hand is continuously making the same mistake over and over again and is something that QC should tackle.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 18/02/2020 at 10:37, Pete the Elaner said:

Hornby is perhaps a bad example. They would not have been so concerned with making the best possible in the first place.

In the past, they made a class 37 with 31 bogies then 47 bogies, continuing to produce it well after Lima released their much more accurate model.

The new class 91 is reported to have an 8 pin decoder socket, so they are clearly not too concerned with making the best possible at the target price point. The Bachmann 90 is around the same price & has many more lighting options, an included speaker & working pantograph. Hornby's 91 cannot have as many options with an 8 pin socket & we shall have to wait & see whether it matched the 90 in other aspects.

While it is true that engineers want to get everything working as well as possible, accountants have always been their enemy & somewhere along the line, economics must get involved or else Hattons 66 could easily cost 2-3 times that of Bachmann's.

Replacing circuit boards may well be the best technical solution to the lighting issue, but much would this cost? Would all customers be prepared to pay for it? If not, Hattons would have to absorb the cost. How long would it take for replacement boards to be designed, manufactured & installed?

Hattons have tried pushing standards forward. Their 66 is in a similar price range to Bachmann's, but they have given us more body detail options, space for a really good speaker, better haulage & more lighting options.

After the first batch, they have withheld others because they are not happy about something. They are trying not to commit too much information to us at this stage in order to keep their options open.

To infer that they simply can't be bothered is unfair & inaccurate.

I think this is a sound assessment. Isnt the biggest error that the wheels are only 16.5mm apart or that most people will run these on setrack or code 100 with inaccurate sleeper spacing? People don't seem bothered by this but moan when there is a minute error. I see that one poster didn't even realise there was a problem he read it on here. You moan about the lights but then ignore the non-prototypical tension lock coupling just below...

I think we need to get a sense of proportion. Hattons have done a great job in developing this loco and raising standards. They should be congratulated not bashed. They are a business and if we want ready to run locos at a reasonable price then we have to be reasonable.

• Like 6
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Thanks for keeping your questions coming in, here’s some answers for you.

Is 66789 (H4-66-031) affected by the lighting issue that has previously been raised?
No. This model has the ‘Standard Wipac’ headlight setup and is unaffected by the marker light issue.

What is the best way to reattach an axlebox if it comes loose?
We have a section on our Class 66 Maintenance Page which details the process of reattaching an axle box if it comes loose. We can also supply spares if required. Our Helpdesk team will be able to get these sent out. They can be contacted via phone (0151 733 3655) or email (info@hattons.co.uk)

Why does my model have glue marks on it?
This is caused by carelessness when glueing the axlebox covers on to the axles and then touching the body.

What is being done to prevent glue marks on other models?
As soon as this was noted with a couple of models from our initial delivery we specified a faster drying glue be used and that greater care needs to be taken when locating the axleboxes by hand to eliminate the chance of transferring glue to the body.

If my model has glue marks what can you do about it?
Please contact our Helpdesk team who will note your return on the system and be able to talk you through the best way to get it back to us for replacement.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, ikcdab said:

Isnt the biggest error that the wheels are only 16.5mm apart or that most people will run these on setrack or code 100 with inaccurate sleeper spacing? People don't seem bothered by this......

ikcdab nothing personal but in a thread like this there is always one who comes up with this.

Perhaps it is Goodwin's second law. 

"As a discussion on a model railway forum about an OO model grows longer, the likelihood of a reference to the 16.5mm track gauge increases"

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

ikcdab nothing personal but in a thread like this there is always one who comes up with this.

Perhaps it is Goodwin's second law. 

"As a discussion on a model railway forum about an OO model grows longer, the likelihood of a reference to the 16.5mm track gauge increases"

Not really, I think you are characaturing the point a little. I am not referring to anyone on this thread, but elsewhere I have seen people "rivet counting", yet then run their stock on what are little more than train sets. It just seems to me to be a mismatch. Nuf sed!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ikcdab said:

Not really, I think you are characaturing the point a little. I am not referring to anyone on this thread, but elsewhere I have seen people "rivet counting", yet then run their stock on what are little more than train sets. It just seems to me to be a mismatch. Nuf sed!

A Trainset is your own work, your own risk & time and quality.

A rtr model is you transferring the risk to someone else to make it on your behalf assumedly to be in much less time at an assumed higher standard.

Therefore when critising a rtr model you've paid for, it will be judged against the observations you see, or do not see, and you’d hope that the risks of errors you would try to avoid yourself, would not be materialised in a paid for model...

However, as almost never, does one specify their requirements when buying a model, you are accepting risk that one making the model will overlook aspects important to yourself... thats why interacting with forums like this are a great idea in development, as collectively the risks and errors can be mitigated...

In that regard dont criticise Hattons too much.. they are more engaging than most... both in pre and post sale.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 20/02/2020 at 10:03, Dicky L said:

Read it again. 

no models have that light configuration on them.

the clue is above the photo. 

actually in a way they do, it's the loco's listed under LED Wipac Headlights. the 'New' LED Headlight Cluster' is just older loco's that have had the old Standard Wipac Headlights replaced with the LED cluster.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, daz9284 said:

actually in a way they do, it's the loco's listed under LED Wipac Headlights. the 'New' LED Headlight Cluster' is just older loco's that have had the old Standard Wipac Headlights replaced with the LED cluster.

But actually they don’t, as those with LED WIPAC headlights that Hattons are producing are all low emissions variants. The replacement LED light arrangement that Dicky refers to is only present on original versions. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Has anyone removed the body yet?

Reason I ask - I'm not the most competent modeller, but nor am I ignorant - is I had to just now.

My 66 was squealing like next door's dog when they've forgotten it and gone on holiday!!

This is the sound a 'dry bush' makes, so I had a few options.

1st was a drop of oil on each wheel bearing, but it seemed more 'internal' - didn't want it to be the motor, and it seemed more one end.

I removed the 4 little mount screws, lifted over the mounts and started easing up.

All 'cabling' and sanders are fine, it's those just-under-door steps - they were glued to both the body and the chassis ... then it was obvious I needed to 'ease a little stronger' - seems there's a retaining gel higher up which restricts body removal - or there was on mine ...

Result?

3 of the 4 under-door-steps pinged - gone ... but no ... the Gods were smiling on me and I recovered all of them  - one was under my sock, but intact!

All were intact so no problem.

The squeal was one of the end bushes on the bogie at the end 'inferred'. I took the opportunity to oil all, including the motor bushes.

Silent as one of Anthony Hopkins lambs again and smoother than ever ... but ... I did want a detailed loco ... 

All sorted now.

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

11 hours ago, cairnsroadworks said:

But actually they don’t, as those with LED WIPAC headlights that Hattons are producing are all low emissions variants. The replacement LED light arrangement that Dicky refers to is only present on original versions. 

That is true but the original question was 'do you have any future plans for variants using the “New LED headlight cluster”. The answer is still the same as I posted which they already are doing, which have you pointed out are the low emission varients. but they aren't doing the low emission varients later fitted with the new led clusters.

5 hours ago, daz9284 said:

That is true but the original question was 'do you have any future plans for variants using the “New LED headlight cluster”. The answer is still the same as I posted which they already are doing, which have you pointed out are the low emission varients. but they aren't doing the low emission varients later fitted with the new led clusters.

Indeed Daz; if you read my post again that’s because non of the low emission variants have the new light clusters. The new light clusters are only being fitted to those with the old BMAC versions, which are all original specification machines. So you are still wrong, not that it matters.

The new light clusters replacing the BMAC ones are different to those featured on the low emission versions that Hattons are producing. 

And thanks to Dave for answering the question so quickly too of course. 

Edited by cairnsroadworks

• RMweb Premium

I can only agree to Atom3624. Also I couldn't remove the body without damage of one of the ladders. Especially when you do it for the first time - the body sticks to the chassis a little bit which doesn't improve the situation. I will have to open mine again - either to take the sound decoder and speaker out and put the model on display above my desk or to send it back for good. 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 23/02/2020 at 14:44, cairnsroadworks said:

Indeed Daz; if you read my post again that’s because non of the low emission variants have the new light clusters. The new light clusters are only being fitted to those with the old BMAC versions, which are all original specification machines. So you are still wrong, not that it matters.

The new light clusters replacing the BMAC ones are different to those featured on the low emission versions that Hattons are producing. 

And thanks to Dave for answering the question so quickly too of course. 

From what I have been told, and from looking at them, the new LED clusters being fitted to the orginal class 66s are the same as the LED light clusters on the low emssion 66's

2 hours ago, daz9284 said:

From what I have been told, and from looking at them, the new LED clusters being fitted to the orginal class 66s are the same as the LED light clusters on the low emssion 66's

Look again. They’re not massively different, but different enough. the light apertures on the LEDs being fitted to original spec 66s are much larger. 

EDIT - I’d forgotten about the top lights which have been replaced on the original specification ones too. Also much larger. 

But it doesn’t matter whether they are on not, they’re still not fitting them to low emission variants, which means there is a gap for Hattons to fill in future should they so wish.

Edited by cairnsroadworks

15 hours ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Look again. They’re not massively different, but different enough. the light apertures on the LEDs being fitted to original spec 66s are much larger. 

EDIT - I’d forgotten about the top lights which have been replaced on the original specification ones too. Also much larger. 

But it doesn’t matter whether they are on not, they’re still not fitting them to low emission variants, which means there is a gap for Hattons to fill in future should they so wish.

Just had a closer look and I hold my hands up and appologise for being wrong. There isn't any difference in the headlight sizes but the size of the LED on the marker/tail light is smaller on the original low emission varients, and on the original spec 66's the marker/tail LED is the same size as the headlight.

sorry again

I visited my excellent local model shop on Saturday whom has previously told me he would be getting the Hattons 66s in, but unfortunately this is now not happening. He said he's now chosen not to stock anything from Hattons, which is a shame.

I will still get one for Hattons but it's a shame I cannot support my local model shop as I normally do, and I might have had 2 or 3.

I'm sure Hattons have sound reasons not to supply other retailers, but I suspect if this owner is a bit narked about it to cease stocking Hattons altogether I suspect he's not the only one.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

I visited my excellent local model shop on Saturday whom has previously told me he would be getting the Hattons 66s in, but unfortunately this is now not happening. He said he's now chosen not to stock anything from Hattons, which is a shame.

I will still get one for Hattons but it's a shame I cannot support my local model shop as I normally do, and I might have had 2 or 3.

I'm sure Hattons have sound reasons not to supply other retailers, but I suspect if this owner is a bit narked about it to cease stocking Hattons altogether I suspect he's not the only one.

Hi Rich,

Apologies for the confusion here. The Hattons Class 66s are only available for general sale through Hattons and not through our wholesale retailers. If this should change in the future, we will make sure to let all our wholesale retailers know. 

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

56 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

In fairness, Hattons never said they would supply the Class 66 to retailers. I don't know if this will change but that is the current situation.

• Like 1