Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

On 29/02/2020 at 11:02, atom3624 said:

I'm in one of the departments within our company which travel a lot during the year, and we've just announced that there's no further international travel to, or visits from other offices until further favourable clarity and progress has been observed.

It is a fast developing situation as you state which has to be handled in a responsible manner.

Let's hope that it is contained sooner rather than later, and we can return to the lives as we knew them ... including receiving the back-ordered locomotives!

Obviously it will be hoped that better containment procedures are clarified with an increased rate of cure from this dreadful virus.

Good luck and best wishes to all.

Al.

Yep, there won’t be any airlines to go anywhere on shortly if it’s not sorted with the drop in bookings 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/02/2020 at 11:28, Hattons Dave said:

Morning all,

The second shipment of our highly anticipated Class 66 models (comprising of codes H4-66-001 to H4-66-031) are expected to be in stock by the end of March 2020. This includes Digital ready, Digital fitted and Digital sound fitted models.

We will provide an update on delivery for models H4-66-032 to H4-66-037 as soon as we can.

You can pre-order available versions on THIS page of our website.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Are you able to confirm if the latest 66s are still due for delivery by the end of March? I have a few on pre-order and just want to know if they are going to be available. Thanking you in advance.

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, amarr40 said:

Hi Dave,

Are you able to confirm if the latest 66s are still due for delivery by the end of March? I have a few on pre-order and just want to know if they are going to be available. Thanking you in advance.

Hello amarr40,

As things stand we're still expecting them by the end of the month.

If anything changes we'll be sure to let people know.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

We've received the production samples of the latest six variations of our Class 66 for review.

We'll be showing these live on air on our YouTube channel at 3:00pm GMT today if you want a closer look.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Hattons Dave
  • Informative/Useful 4

50 minutes ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi all,

We've received the production samples of the latest six variations of our Class 66 for review.

We'll be showing these live on air on our YouTube channel at 3:00pm GMT today if you want a closer look.

Cheers

Dave

That's good news Dave, will there be an update on the expected arrival of these models (as I understand it they are not coming this month)?

59 minutes ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi all,

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Is it safe to watch your YouTube channel? #coronavirus #washyourhandswithsoap #selfisolation

:jester:

Edited by truffy
  • Funny 1

31 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

It may be better to hold that question until after this afternoon's youtube broadcast.

I did mean in the broadcast!

I probably wouldn't bother watching it if there wasn't any useful delivery info!

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

That's good news Dave, will there be an update on the expected arrival of these models (as I understand it they are not coming this month)?

Hi Tom,

With the international situation as it is currently we haven't got an exact date for models H4-66-032 onwards, but rest assured we're doing everything we can to get them here as soon as possible.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hello amarr40,

As things stand we're still expecting them by the end of the month.

If anything changes we'll be sure to let people know.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for the update Dave. Mine (66-957 named for the SLS) will be here as and when it is, and in the current crisis safety for everyone is more important than rushing to get hold of the model. However, at least in the meantime (courtesy of Kernow's excellent virtual show deal offer) the rake of wagons I would have bought for it at Alexandra Palace is now on its way to me.

Edited by john new
Typos corrected

On 19/03/2020 at 12:20, Hattons Dave said:

Hi all,

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the update on the 66s. Can you confirm the shade of orange used on 66623 please? It looks like it’s the shade that is only used on the first one painted (the one Hornby released) rather than the now standard darker orange (similar to Loadhaul orange) - would you be able to show us a side by side comparison with the Hornby one? It looks way too light but understand that cameras do funny things to colours. 

the attached link shows the differences between the early orange and the standard darker orange - 

Railways

Thanks again for taking the time to contribute to this forum; it is much appreciated. 

Andi. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Dave,

Your latest update says the following...

Production samples have now been showcased for our second batch of Class 66s, which encompasses H4-66-032 to H4-66-037 in some of the more unusual contemporary liveries worn by the class. 

We will provide a delivery update for these and the outstanding models from Batch 1 as soon as possible.

Does this mean that the first batch are delayed?  

2 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

The lead loco in the picture is 66413 and was the first in the new colours as 66419 behind was painted 9 months later,this just looks like its age related fading to be honest.Theres plenty of 413 just after painting looking much the same as the trailing 419.

It does look faded doesn't it?

If it fades that much in 9 months, then maybe it was a poor choice of colour or paint formulation for the prototype?

This makes it hard for a model manufacturer such as Hattons, because many of us will want to see it as we remember it, often from photos.

Model as it is now & it will be too faded for some. Model it as new & it will not be faded enough for others.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

The lead loco in the picture is 66413 and was the first in the new colours as 66419 behind was painted 9 months later,this just looks like its age related fading to be honest.Theres plenty of 413 just after painting looking much the same as the trailing 419.

66413 was painted in the incorrect shade of orange when it was released from Arriva Train Care at Crewe. I believe the Americans at the launch observed it was the wrong shade and ultimately corrected the specification for future repaints.

66623 was the first to receive the amended/correct shade when painted at Eastleigh.

There is definitely a difference between them.

Unrelated to sheds but the G+W livery has seen a couple of adjustments on the way to getting it how they want it. 90044 recently finished at Arriva has the corrected orange but with a subtle difference with the main logo on the bodyside so the logo stands out more against the orange.

HTH

Edited by chris37422
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

If it fades that much in 9 months, then maybe it was a poor choice of colour or paint formulation for the prototype?

This makes it hard for a model ..........

Model as it is now & it will be too faded for some. Model it as new & it will not be faded enough for others.

What we need is scale fading paint that changes over time in a prototypical fashion. ;)

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Much has been said in the last few posts about the colour of 66623. paint fade is absolutely not the issue here. 413 has always been a light orange, 623 has always been darker Orange and still is. The question relates to whether the wrong colour has been used or is it an issue with the photo of the production model seen in the Youtube video and now on Hattons website. 

This can easily be resolved if the Hattons 66623 and Hornby 66413 are photographed together as requested by CairnsRoadWorks. 

10 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

413 has a different spec' of orange than the later ones which is darker of which 419 is!

10 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

As widely quoted already we know 413 was a different shade of orange. I’ve seen it with the old trusty mark 1 eyeball and it’s a lovely shade of tangerine compared to the more blood orange carried by all the subsequent repaints including 66623, also a regular past the back of my house. Not to mention that high quality two pack spray paint used on locos these days certainly doesn’t fade in 9 months!

So that’s not the issue. It might be that as I said it’s a trick of the camera but clarification would be welcomed. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

This makes it hard for a model manufacturer such as Hattons, because many of us will want to see it as we remember it, often from photos.

It’s not faded, it’s a different (pale!) shade of orange. Incidentally the same shade of orange as modelled on the Grand Central 90s. 

if the paint was faded then so would  be the black and the yellow, which are clearly identical to the black and yellow on 419 behind. 

Edited by cairnsroadworks
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, cairnsroadworks said:

if the paint was faded then so would  be the black and the yellow, which are clearly identical to the black and yellow on 419 behind. 

Not necessarily, since different pigments age at different rates, depending on their specific properties and environmental conditions such as light temperature.

But, overall, I agree that this is not a fading issue. If it'd faded that much in 9 months, someone's made a major error!

Edited by truffy
clarification
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

What we need is scale fading paint that changes over time in a prototypical fashion. ;)

Easily done - just leave the model on a windowsill and turn occasionally.

• Funny 3