Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

@Dicky L Is it just the photos or do the marker lights on 762 and 593 look yellow? They’re all white LEDs IRL so hope the models reflect this.

Hattons have certainly captured the look of the class very well.

Jack.

In the flesh I just see one as brighter than the other so just the photo I think. 

• Informative/Useful 1

These photos show the cab door handrails stick out too far and is quite noticeable compared to the Bachmann model which seem to be applied better and in closer proximity to the body, also the front end cab rail on the Hattons model appears to be too thick as well...just an observation.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Just a thought Charlie,is this lighting fault that the large headlight ones have,is it not something you could fix for those who want them right but dont want to meddle with the wizardry if they cross your palm with silver,keep you busy once me OO Common has a voice..........

We cannot fix factory faults.  Sorry Charlie

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Jack374 said:

Hattons have certainly captured the look of the class very well.

Jack.

it’s a shame with the GBRf one (66762) that the exquisitely detailed cab interior is wrong though, the real thing has a eurospec wrap round desk rather than a traditional pedestal type, ok it’s not the end of the world (I’ll leave that to a certain virus) but it would have been nice to have seen modelled 

maybe I should have a go at replicating it correctly should I buy one 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I thought the Hatton's 66 looked spot on for a brand new 66. 

Agreed.

14 hours ago, rob D2 said:

any chance of a picture of the side number and ‘ EWS ‘, I’d be interested in the ews typeface and if it’s been fixed 

I too am less than chuffed about the EWS text, so instead I opted for both of the EWS/Cargorail versions, which are absolutely marvellous both in terms of livery and also all the added gubbins that the Euro-adapted machines carry.  Thoroughly splendid models.

6 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

Thanks for these, colours are great for the first few months in operation but otherwise a bit bright? 

As others have said, I agree that the livery looks about right for a newly-outshopped machine - the red is definitely 'red', but not too bright and certainly not the 'dried-blood' appearance of the Bachmann shade.  Similar on the EWS gold too - again not as dull/washed-out as the Bachmann shade and certainly not the highly questionable dayglo yellow that Hornby always seem to use for EWS gold!?   To be fair, I always thought that Bachmann's EWS shades were very nice for a slightly worn/in service look, whereas Hattons do seem to have got it about right for a new machine without going too 'bling'.

cheers
Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, big jim said:

I really hope the issues are resolved for the future as I quite fancy getting one or two but as they stand now I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole 

Look at it from a positive angle, at least this way all of the niggles should well and truly be ironed-out for when Hatton's announce 'Evening Star' and the London Transport twins in the second batch...    :biggrin_mini::biggrin_mini::biggrin_mini:

Al

On 25/03/2020 at 21:10, Markwj said:

Got my 66789 today and to be honest a bit underwhelmed- one nameplate at an odd angle which has been removed and reglued...

To be fair, I remember Dave informing me that all of the nameplates were going to be affixed using only a thin double-sided tape, which would enable the user to reposition any slightly out of alignment nameplate if necessary.  I always think it's a bit of a tough call to expect every nameplate on every model to be fixed absolutely horizontally anyway, as it's quite a precise operation at the best of times, which is why I always prefer plates to be supplied separately in a bag. 

Additionally, this method also makes life easier for those who wish to renumber/rename any named loco without having to risk damaging paintwork by removing a superglued plate.  I actually think what Hatton's have done here is a good compromise, especially for those who are not confident at affixing their own nameplates in the first place. 

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

13 minutes ago, YesTor said:

Look at it from a positive angle, at least this way all of the niggles should well and truly be ironed-out for when Hatton's announce 'Evening Star' and the London Transport twins in the second batch...    :biggrin_mini::biggrin_mini::biggrin_mini:

Al

I’ll stick with my Bachmann ones thanks!

ive got a Bachmann 66789 and 66783 on order with my local shop, a hattons sound fitted variant in a different livery was going to be a treat but it can wait now as I’ve not exactly been blown away by what I’ve seen so far, ok it’s probably the minority of locos sold that have issues but its put me off buying 

• Agree 4

11 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Red lights - Could easily be a switch being in the wrong position to make them not work.

There is a few posts about the wobble, think one was down to the axle box covers not running concentric to the axle end

the other one was where the body sits on the bogie. 

As another person said, I'm reluctant to open up the Loco as it's so delicate. I suppose I'll just have to bite the bullet in the end and just go for it. Either way, the instruction sheet seems to say that there's three switches underneath, but I can only see two and they're TINY (should have gone to SpecSavers!)

On the wobble, mine does it while it's running. Like so many others, some of the axle covers have come off and this must surely be related mustn't it? 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, YesTor said:

To be fair, I remember Dave informing me that all of the nameplates were going to be affixed using only a thin double-sided tape, which would enable the user to reposition any slightly out of alignment nameplate if necessary.  I always think it's a bit of a tough call to expect every nameplate on every model to be fixed absolutely horizontally anyway, as it's quite a precise operation at the best of times, which is why I always prefer plates to be supplied separately in a bag. 

Additionally, this method also makes life easier for those who wish to renumber/rename any named loco without having to risk damaging paintwork by removing a superglued plate.  I actually think what Hatton's have done here is a good compromise, especially for those who are not confident at affixing their own nameplates in the first place. 

Al

Thanks it was affixed with glue as there was a glue Mark underneath on the body and I wish i had taken a picture it wasn't slightly out of straight it was a definite slant but all sorted now. It probably moved just after being glued had I not had the issue with the axlebox I probably wouldn't have mentioned it.

14 hours ago, john new said:

You said no other issues earlier, but aren’t there two missing axle boxes cover thingies showing in your  photo earlier and in this video?

Yeah, sorry, I meant no other issues in addition to the ones I already said :lol:

The complete list for me is:

2 axle boxes off.

Gash in yellow paint on drivers steps.

Wobble.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fiskersham said:

As another person said, I'm reluctant to open up the Loco as it's so delicate. I suppose I'll just have to bite the bullet in the end and just go for it. Either way, the instruction sheet seems to say that there's three switches underneath, but I can only see two and they're TINY (should have gone to SpecSavers!)

Just a quick question - DC or DCC?

With DCC there's a setting for "train mode", which turns the rear reds off. Maybe this is on by accident?

Try turning F20 (train mode) off.

May also be worth turning F21 on. This is parking mode, so it'll show if the LEDs are at least getting power.

• RMweb Premium

Whenever I have had locos on rolling roads I notice that there is a slight wobble if the wheels are not seated precisely. I would be intersting to see if the wobble is as pronounced under normal running conditions.

Quick question: To those who have received locos from the latest batch. Did Hattons inform you by email that the loco had been posted?

Would love one but looking at some of the issues that have been brought up in not actually sure one would run around my Clay Dries without derailing, considering it uses alot of set track curves and points, plus a fairly steep incline to get to it. My Bachmann 66s seem to navigate it fine now but even they required me to make a few changes to the trackwork at first. 

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, big jim said:

I’ll stick with my Bachmann ones thanks!

ive got a Bachmann 66789 and 66783 on order with my local shop, a hattons sound fitted variant in a different livery was going to be a treat but it can wait now as I’ve not exactly been blown away by what I’ve seen so far, ok it’s probably the minority of locos sold that have issues but its put me off buying 

I thought Hattons have said that they aren't distributing 66s to model shops.

EDIT:

Jim's post refers to Bachmann (must read before typing/replying)

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I thought Hattons have said that they aren't distributing 66s to model shops.

"ive got a Bachmann 66789 and 66783 on order with my local shop"

I think he means these two are Bachmann models that he has on order from the local model shop, remember Bachmann have done 66783 & 66789 also.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, classy52 said:

"ive got a Bachmann 66789 and 66783 on order with my local shop"

I think he means these two are Bachmann models that he has on order from the local model shop, remember Bachmann have done 66783 & 66789 also.

Oops.....

post duly amended.

Edited by newbryford
  • Funny 1

I've just received the 66789 with sound. Apart from the wobbling and one lose axlebox that doesn't want to stay in place it's a stunning model to see!

I haven't got much experience with DCC sound, but when this loco is put on powered track there comes a light buzzing noise from the loco that gets slightly louder when headlights are turned on. It seems to be coming from underneath the exhaust. Does anyone have an idea if this could be the speaker or the PCB and if it can do any harm? The loco doesn't seem to be getting warm after 30 mins of running in.

• RMweb Gold

I recieved my GBRf BR Large Logo a few days ago and just got a chance to run it today. Firstly, very impressed by the detail and the sound, I don't know if it is the file or the speaker, or the combinations, but it sounds fantastic.

I started to run it and instantly noticed it wobbling. Thought I'd give it a chance to run in first after what I heard from feedback about the pre-Christmas deliveries.

Then it reached a turnout, and derailed. Tried again, same thing. I checked underneath and noticed that one of the wheels on the leading bogie is stuck off centre, and cannot move in our out within the frame. Checking the wheel covers it seems when mine has been glued into place on the axel it has actually glied itself to the bogie frame as well, so it is stuck solid and unable to rotate. This is causing the wheel to stay out of line, and when reaches a turnout it derails and shot circuits.

I tried to push it out to normal position but its pretty solid. I don't want to force it and risk damaging the bogie frame itself. I've put a little oil on it to try loosen it up a bit, otherwise I'll need to look at something that will cut through the glue, or failing that have to send it back.

Here's three videos showing the wibbily wobbily loco:

Pulling a rake of 6 HTA hoppers:

Puling the mighty CMX Cleaner:

Pulling the CMX Cleaner (with loco sound):

I think it's getting slightly better (or less wobbily!) but still noticeable.
The videos show the trailing end of the loco better than the front.  It does seem the trailing end is slightly worse than the leading end.  Run in 30 mins each way on the rolling road, plus about 20 mins on the layout.

There is another problem it has, which may be related but I can't take a video until tomorrow now.  Only noticed it re-occurring when I drove it off today.

IMPORTANT:

I haven't contacted Hattons as yet and I am in no way saying they're a rubbish company!
Just showing my loco and what it's currently doing.
When all this virus stuff is over, I'll see whats what then.

• Informative/Useful 1

Gosh that’s more than a few with a wobble,,

One thing that I don’t like with the Bachmann is the tension lock or air dam arrangement - a 66 looks totally wrong without air dam. I’ve experimented with a brass loop through the air dam and attach that but I’m not sure it’s the solution .

How does the hattons one look and function with their combined coupler air dam Combo ?

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

IMPORTANT:

I haven't contacted Hattons as yet and I am in no way saying they're a rubbish company!
Just showing my loco and what it's currently doing.
When all this virus stuff is over, I'll see whats what then.

I'm not being funny but this sort of thing is not new !  I've had to remove and reset an axle (normally more than one) off almost every diesel locomotive I've bought.  One aspect I've always found annoying as wobble screams TOY not model.  It's via having to get additional wheelsets from Bachmann that I discovered the wheels of the first issue 37 are smaller than the latest!  

• Informative/Useful 1

Aaannndddd, here's a comparison of colours: Bachmann HTAs, Hornby 08, Hattons 66.

IMG_20200327_160024.jpg.8570b37fe4c7f5077d806e215399da9e.jpg

This photo is taken under bright white LED light.

Also fitted a Kadee #20.

It's slightly shorter than the original coupling but seems to be fine when pulling stuff - no buffer lock from what I saw.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Ryan91 said:

I haven't got much experience with DCC sound, but when this loco is put on powered track there comes a light buzzing noise from the loco that gets slightly louder when headlights are turned on.

My 68 buzzes very slightly when I put it on the track. I just guessed it was normal. Only have an 08 sound, which I'm not sure makes any sound until its told to.

Completely different draws though - the 68 is a beast! 

• Thanks 1