Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

This is the point I suppose.

We, the modeller, are increasingly pushing for ever-more-realistic locomotives and rolling stock.

It seems obvious that the factory producing these models probably had more than acceptable QC for models with the detailing of, say, the Bachmann 66, but obviously not the level of this one.

Another case in point is I recently received 8 Oxford Rail Mk.3's.

There was ONE only without any parts which had fallen off - typically it's the steps. Once found, they were replaced, then glued in - OR only have them pushed in!  All brand new and that part resolved.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have two of the Hattons class 66 locos and one on order.

Absolutely delighted with my locos and cannot understand all this sniping from some members.

Wonder how many of the snipers are actually modellers?

Well done Hattons, a superb model and great value.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I have two of the Hattons class 66 locos and one on order.

Absolutely delighted with my locos and cannot understand all this sniping from some members.

Wonder how many of the snipers are actually modellers?

Well done Hattons, a superb model and great value.

Well, you must be a great modeller, please post pictures of your skills for us to drool over ?! I feel inferior already.....

its not sniping is it ? Revolving axle boxes that cause poor running, a body you can’t get off without damaging bits, wrong type of font . If you don’t have these problems you are lucky it seems , if you do and you think it’s fine , you have low standards .

• Agree 8

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

all this sniping from some members.

It's sold as a RTR model, not a kit. Most of the complaints are of stuff that is incorrect/wrong compared to prototype or is faulty/impractical. I don't think I have seen any complaint without legitimacy. Also the vast majority of the people "sniping" are happy with their locos despite these issues.

I wouldn't call myself a modeller. I like playing with trains and so have built a layout to do so. Does that mean I should have to carry out repairs when I first get something? TBH for what little is wrong with mine (axle boxes) I will sort it, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Well, you must be a great modeller, please post pictures of your skills for us to drool over ?! I feel inferior already.....

its not sniping is it ? Revolving axle boxes that cause poor running, a body you can’t get off without damaging bits, wrong type of font . If you don’t have these problems you are lucky it seems , if you do and you think it’s fine , you have low standards .

Removing bodies without bits coming off/being damaged isn't a new phenomenon.

I still forget to disconnect the MU jumper cables when taking Bachmann 37s apart.

The Hattons 66 body can be removed/refitted without damage, simply by being careful.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Hattons, but we readily forget earlier issues with other models/manufacturers.

Anyone remember the Heljan Class 128s arriving as a kit of parts in the box?

Dapol JNA falcons with the axles hanging out?

Hornby 60s with the wrong colour roof?

Going back some time - bogie faults with the initial batch of Bachmann 66s

To name some very quick examples - there are more.

(edit: But this isn't the place to list them.....)

Edited by newbryford
additional line
  • Agree 4

34 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I still forget to disconnect the MU jumper cables when taking Bachmann 37s apart.

The Hattons 66 body can be removed/refitted without damage, simply by being careful.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Hattons, but we readily forget earlier issues with other models/manufacturers.

You just reminded me of when I knackered a Hornby A4 by removing the body because I forgot to remove the speedo cable and ended up making a mess of all the connecting rods.

Delicate/ easy to damage models are definitely not a new phenomenon. Speaking of manufacturing issues, the less said about Hornby class 31 Mazak rot the better. All things considered I think the Hatton’s class 66 is a great model with a few well documented flaws that can at least be fixed. Hopefully this is just early batchitis and will be fixed from the factory in the following batches.

Edited by Br60066
Spelling error
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Two I can think of:

Dapol 68s with incorrect livery application down one side

Hornby 60 "Bow Fell" having the construction logo too high

As far as I am aware both were/will be "corrected"

But a lot of these issues were spoken at length about at the time, and then we have got over it. I don't think anyone is suggesting Hattons are the only ones guilty of making mistakes, but I will say I think some people are a bit emotional about this particular model, I presume because it was being dubbed at the best thing since sliced bread. And I still think its an excellent model despite its flaws.

Edited by TomScrut

My most feared body removal experience is always the Bachmann class 47 where I defy anyone to get it off without at least one of the door windows falling off. I always get the glue out before I even commence the job!

Tim

Edited by pinzaboy
Spelling
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

It wasn't the intention for my post to generate a list of other manufacturers faults.

I have added a suitable line to it.

Let's keep this thread to discussions about the Hattons 66.

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

(edit: But this isn't the place to list them.....)

Yes I fully agree, it’s just the assertion your not a “ modeller” that he made , as if sorting manufacturing faults is modelling and you are somehow less manly ( or womanly !) if you don’t . A sort of toy train snobbery - weird !

i want these to be good , as I want a couple but not just yet , I’ll see how they develop over batches 

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Jeeeezzz,just dont ask the one person who could take a stab at answering this as hes far to busy according to folks here and you will be shot at for that.

@Hattons Dave

Well , he hasn’t answered , so he must be busy ;)

• Funny 3

7 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

I dont expect it instantly,just asked so when he had time he could give us a clue.if you intend spending thousands on these.some have.

The way I see it there are at least two reasons why the "is it all going to be OK next time (if there is a next time)" question hasn't been answered, and I don't think will be for a while:

It probably can't be until plans of another run are made. Some of the bugs will involve changes to tooling, which will have a cost. I don't think anybody could realistically make promises about anything until this is costed (and potential debate as to who foots the bill for tooling), and I doubt this will happen until another run is actually being discussed (otherwise what would be the point?). There could also be a comeback from the factory (rightly or wrongly) saying the QC required for them to be spot on requires a cost increase, and a decision would need to be made as to whether the market would accept that.

I also aren't sure it would be a wise business decision making any promises about the next batch until this one has moved on a bit. If the next ones are going to be "perfect" who is going to buy these?

It's certainly not a case of Dave going "yes we will sort everything out next time, by the way would you like to buy one of the hundreds we have in stock rather than the ones we may make in a few years time?"

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Jeeeezzz,just dont ask the one person who could take a stab at answering this as hes far to busy according to folks here and you will be shot at for that.

@Hattons Dave

and it’s posts like that which make manufacturers, shop owners, knowledgeable people say “sod it, I’m not posting on RMWeb any more”

im no apologist for hattons or Dave by any means, I’ve no financial or commercial interest in hattons, but maybe, just maybe, and again I’m not using the current worldwide situation as an excuse but perhaps he has bigger fish to fry than sitting in front of a computer Screen attempting to type answer a question he does not know the answer to himself just to appease a few people, cut him some slack!

• Like 1
  • Agree 16

Let's be fair (and honest); there's nothing dreadfully wrong with these gorgeous models - they are rightly the ultimate class 66. The annoying - to some - things that aren't quite right are not that difficult to fix for many of us, and if one finds it too much, there are others who will happily help. The axle boxes - for they seem to be the main fault - are a great idea and add such a lot to the model. They are 'engineered' well but require a lot of very careful fixing to operate correctly and this is a time consuming activity. It took me ages to fix my first one and am now part way through the second. I wonder how many seconds are allowed for the operative in China to affix them?  Not many I should imagine. Yes, things should be perfect, but isn't it 'allowable' for the odd mistake when buying something so magnificent for such a little price?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Reading through the recent pages many of the running problems seem to be caused by the revolving axle box covers which are either tight because of glue, or assembled poorly which prevents them turning properly. This in turn has led to wobbly running or some of the AB covers coming off. What is heartening is that when fixed the running quality of these locos appears to be superb. I have just received notification that my 66 is on its way. I certainly hope that mine will be free of any glitches. However, seeing the fixes I feel pretty confident that if there are problem I could handle the fixes. That said it takes a brave man to unclip the bogie sides and drill out the holes. Also I believe a fairly simple aid to keep the ABs revolving freely would to be smear a tiny bit of grease on them, or a little Vaseline would probably suffice. I have ordered a sound fitted model so I hope that I do not have to remove the body. I am waiting with equal measures of trepidation and excitement.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 7013 said:

I am waiting with equal measures of trepidation and excitement.

So was I before mine turned up this week! Luckily it would seem the ABs are the only issue and I think they just need gluing back onto the axles now.

1 hour ago, Edna Clouds said:

Let's be fair (and honest); there's nothing dreadfully wrong with these gorgeous models - they are rightly the ultimate class 66. The annoying - to some - things that aren't quite right are not that difficult to fix for many of us, and if one finds it too much, there are others who will happily help. The axle boxes - for they seem to be the main fault - are a great idea and add such a lot to the model. They are 'engineered' well but require a lot of very careful fixing to operate correctly and this is a time consuming activity. It took me ages to fix my first one and am now part way through the second. I wonder how many seconds are allowed for the operative in China to affix them?  Not many I should imagine. Yes, things should be perfect, but isn't it 'allowable' for the odd mistake when buying something so magnificent for such a little price?

“ well engineered “= using a 3mm drill bit to ream out axle stays to get acceptable running .

is this a wind up ?

enough , I’m off to a darkened room for a lie down 

Edited by rob D2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

28 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

I thought thas what these pages were for,ask questions and gain knowlege of experts who frequent them.

Yes but surely you can appreciate (given the reasons I replied to you earlier) why he probably can't/won't answer the question you're asking?

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

“ well engineered “= using a 3mm drill bit to ream out axle stays to get acceptable running .

is this a wind up ?

enough , I’m off to a darkened room for a lie down 

Emerging from my own darkened room, I recall my first ever train set was a wind up. This in 1949 or so. These years later, the axle boxes can be refitted successfully without reaming out the side frame holes - it's just a rather delicate and slow job, the extra half a millimetre gives a bit of leeway. And let's face it,  some of us (though clearly not all) quite enjoy a bit of 'putting it right' when there's a little fault or something has dropped off. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Whilst this model is not without a few issues, I believe the silent majority are more than happy with it.  Most issues can be resolved without too much trouble and Hattons customer service is excellent and prompt when required. 

Anyone who is put off by some of the comments here is seriously missing out. For me this loco raises the bar considerably and having purchased several already I have seen nothing to stop me wanting more.

This Loco is a game changer. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

On 01/04/2020 at 13:03, rob D2 said:

Bachmann one for 70-95 pounds I’d probably take that over the hattons one at present .

Most of the Bachmann 66s I formerly owned were around this price, FL, GBRf, DRS. And if they were again, I would not blink and go back. Sadly though, even for £144 (rrp) I am at the point where I rather wait for Bachmann to at least upgrade the chassis. I think the only 'expensive' Bachmann 66s I bought where the two TfL, Rainbow and Sorrento. Worth it though, as the livery application on those were spectacular! 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1