Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

3 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Dispatch from where? China or Hattons themselves? If the latter, that is a huge overhead which also brings risks of damaging the locos removing them from boxes, testing and then repackaging. And that will still not identify faults that result from poor handling during delivery.

All been covered many times on this RMWeb 

Roy

Yes I agree, the key to it is to get them as good as possible without having to check them fully before leaving anywhere TBH, but accept that X% are going to come back.

Unfortunately in this case X is quite large it would seem.

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

The chassis as it completed should have some form of running test but obviously isnt,the overheads for the problem ones is nothing i guess but its not doing Hattons any favors either,this is 115 pages long now and its not all its hyped up to be is it,quality control is checking for problems before it gets to the customer,its not all about money when you market something as the best.

I don’t suggest quality control is what it should be, but it is also clear that some issues may happen post check. 

Further, one of my axle boxes came off after half an hour of running - way beyond anything that can be expected during manufacture. 

I am sure Hattons are not happy with the situation, how it will be addressed we will see in time.

Roy

Rather boringly, my 66 arrived yesterday afternoon. I opened the box in some trepidation, half-expecting things to rattle around in the box, but nope, everything remained attached.

I then set it up on my rolling road - no wobble. I ran it in for an hour each way, nothing fell off...all just seems to be OK

I just seem to be a contented customer who has received a working model with which I am happy. Will post some images when I can recharge my camera batteries.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

Rather boringly, my 66 arrived yesterday afternoon. I opened the box in some trepidation, half-expecting things to rattle around in the box, but nope, everything remained attached.

I then set it up on my rolling road - no wobble. I ran it in for an hour each way, nothing fell off...all just seems to be OK

I just seem to be a contented customer who has received a working model with which I am happy. Will post some images when I can recharge my camera batteries.

I think there are many out there that have had little or no issues and form the silent majority I have spoken about previously. I count myself as fortunate to be very happy with the 4 that I am currently running and I have sympathy for those who have had to return what I am finding to be a superb model.

Just keep an eye on those axleboxes Harry, it’s highly likely one will pop out when you are least expecting it. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well my replacement 66789 has turned up.

Not perfect but as it stands it's staying.

This one doesn't have the problem with the night headlights, so that's the issue the other one is going back for covered. Looks (based on some slow running, can't do a full circuit at the moment due to "engineering works") that one of the axle boxes is causing one axle to wobble, so that will need correcting like it did on 66756. One nameplate was stuck on wonky, but upon further inspection it was hardly stuck on at all so was soon reapplied in the correct location with a bit of purchase.

That is really quite shocking :o

That’s definitely put me off H4-66-025. 

I realise that they can be returned but, living in Switzerland, that becomes a pretty expensive, and time-consuming, pastime. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, carefreecfc said:

Yep , I was happy to grab another one knowing returns are an option now , so I’ll get this on its way back . I’d heard that the nameplates were applied with the tape , so didn’t think that’d be an issue on these .

I think the real issue here is that there appears to have been no attempt to quality check these retrospectively despite the issues being known . 

The nameplate (which I briefly mentioned on FB) seems like it is that really thin film like double sided tape

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

you get shot at for sudjesting they do that as it would cost money???

I think the point is actually that if the proper processes were in place to begin with they'd be made right and not need checking, and that only a small minority would have issues. I'd be surprised if the other manufacturers thoroughly double check or test run the locos before packing, they will just have the correct processes at the factory to make sure they get made right first time almost all the time

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, carefreecfc said:

This is 3 out of 3 now . 

This one is getting returned and I won’t be buying any more . I should make a YouTube video but I dare not . 

There’s nothing I can do to repair glue marks I’m afraid . 

:-( 

Marcus 

Don't be put off making a YT video on your latest experience but just don't post it here, you do very good videos thus I'm sure the majority of us would like see another one on your most recent purchase of the Hattons Class 66.

Then if anyone has any issues with your video then they can comment on your YT channel where the gloves can truly come off if required.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

5 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Well my replacement 66789 has turned up.

Not perfect but as it stands it's staying.

This one doesn't have the problem with the night headlights, so that's the issue the other one is going back for covered. Looks (based on some slow running, can't do a full circuit at the moment due to "engineering works") that one of the axle boxes is causing one axle to wobble, so that will need correcting like it did on 66756. One nameplate was stuck on wonky, but upon further inspection it was hardly stuck on at all so was soon reapplied in the correct location with a bit of purchase.

Having now got my layout put back together I am running it in. The wobble seemed to soon disappear, and as it stands no axle box covers have been "shed". For half an hour of my time this morning messing about (most of that was making sure I wasn't damaging anything when taking the cover off and swapping air dams) I think I have been lucky with this one.

Has anyone noticed that the air dam assys don't seem to quite fit the chassis properly? They need a bit of encouragement from the three I have done.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Are you fitting driver?

No I aren't, as I run stuff both ways I don't tend to have any particular end as the favourite. When I make my next layout I may do a loop so I can have a "good end" on my locos

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, big jim said:

Dicky, do you have a layout thread, really want to see more of it! 

Not yet, I have only just become active on here recently after being a silent observer for several months. maybe it’s something I should do. 

I do have a facebook group for Chesborough North which has been running for over a year now as well as the youtube channel I have linked several times in here during the last week. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1693258990738757/?ref=share

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dicky L said:

Not yet, I have only just become active on here recently after being a silent observer for several months. maybe it’s something I should do. 

I do have a facebook group for Chesborough North which has been running for over a year now as well as the youtube channel I have linked several times in here during the last week. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1693258990738757/?ref=share

unfortunately I’m not on Facebook but I’ve seen the YouTube channel

you should start a thread on here (so I can nick some of your ideas for my layout!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, big jim said:

unfortunately I’m not on Facebook but I’ve seen the YouTube channel

you should start a thread on here (so I can nick some of your ideas for my layout!

There you go. 

• Like 3

I had my model of 66593 '3MG: Mersey Multimodal Gateway' arrive on Tuesday, was a quick dispatch too.

Thankfully, it looks like I've got a good'un! No missing bits or details that fell off in the box. The bogie at the radiator end does seem to droop more than the other one, and when placing on a flat surface isn't 100% square. On the track it sat okay, but whhen running the leading axle of that same bogie could be seen lifting off the rail a fraction. There was also the bogie wobble, but after a good running in, it's all settled down. It's run through some of my less than ideal pointwork and hasn't derailed as yet. So far, all is good with it!

Here's a quick vid of it on a Freightliner Intermodal working on the layout.

Roll on my order of 66587 in ONE Pink! 

Andy.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

40 minutes ago, carefreecfc said:

Agreed . I dare not be to critical through fear of being lambasted for having an opinion ! I’m still waiting for someone to defend the glue marks ! 

I contacted hattons this morning about these issues and they were very helpful, and have sent me a return label to get the model back on its way . I wonder what will become of all these faulty models ... they must have a couple !  

Ah don’t worry Marcus,it’s the modern way - everyone is afraid of criticism . I’m too blunt and direct for 2020 !

Your review was very useful to me - it hasn’t made me discount the product entirely, but I’d have to actually go to hattons and pick out a good one I reckon 

• Like 5
  • Agree 6

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 09:40, rob D2 said:

Well, you must be a great modeller, please post pictures of your skills for us to drool over ?! I feel inferior already.....

its not sniping is it ? Revolving axle boxes that cause poor running, a body you can’t get off without damaging bits, wrong type of font . If you don’t have these problems you are lucky it seems , if you do and you think it’s fine , you have low standards .

Well D2

Not a GREAT modeller and I do not have low standards. Even the Bachmann 66 needed work on to make it correct! I have drilled the rotating axle end holes to 3mm and re-fitted rotating axle ends with a touch of glue and glaze over axle ends and loco runs superbly. My EWS 66 hauled 16 Bachmann HTA wagons up one of my Helixes no problem - I cannot get a Bachmann 66 or 70 to perform like that.

I have attached a few of my re-sprays you may, or may not, want to drool over!!

Have a nice day

IMG_9579.JPG

IMG_9583.JPG

IMG_9581.JPG

IMG_9585.JPG

• Like 13