Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

30 minutes ago, 7013 said:

May Seem obvious, but have you means to check whether all the axle boxes are rotating and/or do any of them temporarily 'catch' causing the stall. Certainly seems like something is catching intermittently.

I did think this but something makes me think it's just a bit of thick grease.

My railway room is like a loft, so can get chilly at ~10°C going up to high teens in the summer.  It's been a pretty stable early teens this past few weeks though.  It's only ever done this if I haven't ran it for a day or so.  As soon as it pushes past, it doesn't struggle again during that running session, nor a few hours later.  Sound isn't affected.  This is what makes me think it's a grease issue but I would guess it isn't really.  I should have tested more before I packaged it up again but it's gone now.

Just hoping Hatton's can sort me out a replacement.
If they're sold out of sound ones, I can see them offering another livery or refund rather than taking the sound stuff out of that loco and putting it in another.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

46 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

So on the factory fitted DCC models,does all the functions on the lights work only no sound??

It acts like 6 function in the manual, so some if the stuff is still done manually with switches and I aren't sure the cabs are useable. To get the full lighting functionality you need a 10 function decoder (2 marker, 2 tail, 2 day headlights, 2 night headlights, 2 cab) and the switches set for sound. I have this set up with LokPilot V5 MKLs but Zimo do 10 function non sound chips too. The important thing is the first 6 functions (IIRC) need to be powered not logic level. I think the Zimos this can be changed with CVs but with ESU it's different decoders.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, carefreecfc said:

In an effort to remain balanced and report my full findings here.....

Having sent back my model my model of 66079 with the flappy grill and the splurgy nameplate glue, I opted to try a model of 66125 (after a little consideration).

This arrived yesterday, and was cosmetically immaculate, had a little bit of a wobble when running but this was easily resolved as described back further in the thread by @YesTor .

Loco runs beautifully and looks stunning too. This is how they should all be. If Hattons hit this quality every time, this is a 10 out of 10 model.

Maybe, just maybe I will get another one :D

All the best

Marcus 

How was your experience of sending back? I recall somebody saying they hadn't had a refund for a while after it getting there.

It does seem they are a lot slower to respond to emails/enquiries this week. I am asking them if I can send back by Royal Mail (I have no reason not go anywhere near a Collect+ location other than dropping the parcel off), which they have said they'll refund second class. I have gone back saying I'll happily send second class as long as my £150 isn't going missing if the box does! Just seems steady getting any response out of them at the moment.

I am concerned if I wait until I can get to the Collect+ whilst obeying the instructions from the government it will be a long time!

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

How was your experience of sending back? I recall somebody saying they hadn't had a refund for a while after it getting there.

It does seem they are a lot slower to respond to emails/enquiries this week. I am asking them if I can send back by Royal Mail (I have no reason not go anywhere near a Collect+ location other than dropping the parcel off), which they have said they'll refund second class. I have gone back saying I'll happily send second class as long as my £150 isn't going missing if the box does! Just seems steady getting any response out of them at the moment.

I am concerned if I wait until I can get to the Collect+ whilst obeying the instructions from the government it will be a long time!

Please bear in mind Hattons have said that alot of staff are off work I believe.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

44 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

Please bear in mind Hattons have said that alot of staff are off work I believe.

I aren't complaining it's just they were replying within a few minutes last week whereas it's taken days in this case!

I have also noticed they are recruiting for customer support roles too.

Somebody has got back to me this morning anyway.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, carefreecfc said:

I only sent it back Wednesday, so I haven't had anything yet. Hopefully I will by this time next week. Luckily for me my local shop is a collect plus location. I don't see why it would be a problem for you to send it back via Royal Mail though ? 

No they have said I can send it back 2nd class. I just wanted to know where things stood in the respect that it's value wouldn't be insured on 2nd class.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

No they have said I can send it back 2nd class. I just wanted to know where things stood in the respect that it's value wouldn't be insured on 2nd class.

Just get a proof of posting. If all goes wrong Hattons will accept that as evidence. 

Roy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Re: sending stuff back.

Get the fact that Coronavirus-19 has caused a "more than a few" issues.

Get the fact that we are in lockdown.

Get the fact that this means there are fewer staff "on the ground" at model railway establishments.

Get the fact that anyone should be thankful that they are even working at all.

Get the fact that we are lucky that delivery companies are working at all.

Get the fact that because of any/all of the above, it will take longer than normal. 

Get the fact that what was "normal", will probably be not the same again - for a very long time.

Get the fact that ...

picard-facepalm.jpg.1d43b2485ba38beff11d33c6fd1fc644.jpg

[rant over]

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

44 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Re: sending stuff back.

Get the fact that Coronavirus-19 has caused a "more than a few" issues.

Get the fact that we are in lockdown.

Get the fact that this means there are fewer staff "on the ground" at model railway establishments.

Get the fact that anyone should be thankful that they are even working at all.

Get the fact that we are lucky that delivery companies are working at all.

Get the fact that because of any/all of the above, it will take longer than normal. 

Get the fact that what was "normal", will probably be not the same again - for a very long time.

Get the fact that ...

picard-facepalm.jpg.1d43b2485ba38beff11d33c6fd1fc644.jpg

[rant over]

A bit of an overreaction I think if it's my comments you're reacting to.

I feel my comments/questions were legitimate given last week they were responding quickly (within minutes) yet this week it has taken me 4 days to have 2 reply conversation. I'm not stupid I know things aren't the same as a month ago, that's not what I am getting at. Note I have not said a single word of complaint throughout all of this either. I know we are in lockdown, that's why I didn't send it back via Collect+ 2 weeks ago!

It is also worth noting that everybody else I have had dialogue with in the model rail industry in the last few weeks have been very responsive, so whilst the situation is certainly not normal the world is not standing still.

It is also worth noting they have said today on Facebook they are starting 24/7 support as of Monday (although limited out of hours to begin with). Again a stark contrast to this week although that could be the reason for it.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

For what it's worth, I returned a package on April 7th, followed by a quick telephone call earlier this week to confirm they'd received it.  I was advised by a very helpful gentleman that my return had been received, and as others have pointed out, that Hatton's were very much operating on skeleton staff and that the returns dept had been virtually unmanned for a few days, however they would be working this week to catch up.  I've since received an email to confirm that my replacement order has been despatched today. 

At the end of the day these are model railway items, not essentials such as food or medicine, and considering the current climate it wouldn't have been unreasonable for some of these hobby stores to simply have 'shut up shop' until further notice.  So personally, I'm simply content that there is indeed still some kind of service.

Al

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, YesTor said:

For what it's worth, I returned a package on April 7th, followed by a quick telephone call earlier this week to confirm they'd received it.  I was advised by a very helpful gentleman that my return had been received, and as others have pointed out, that Hatton's were very much operating on skeleton staff and that the returns dept had been virtually unmanned for a few days, however they would be working this week to catch up.  I've since received an email to confirm that my replacement order has been despatched today. 

Thanks, that's the sort of reply I was looking for!

10 minutes ago, YesTor said:

So personally, I'm simply content that there is indeed still some kind of service.

Likewise, although it would appear some (and I apologise to those applicable if I am getting the wrong end of the stick) think me asking about people's experiences and commenting that the reply time has increased this week as been unreasonable. I wasn't even saying the delay was unreasonable more unusual (even in the current situation). In my opinion if I was been unreasonable I'd have broken lockdown rules two weeks ago and sent it back via Collect+ and been hassling them ever since on the phone! The only reason why I am making a point of sending it back now is so it doesn't drag on forever, and the small issue of me being £150 light.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Everyone’s nerves are getting a bit frayed by this incarceration , which is definitely carrying over to online forums etc I’ve noticed .

On my local FB page , everyone seems to have decided they are the chief medical officer.....at least we still have refuge in our chuffers...and for me...thank god for my bike and treadmill !

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

On my local FB page , everyone seems to have decided they are the chief medical officer.....at least we still have refuge in our chuffers...and for me...thank god for my bike and treadmill !

Since I gave up Facebook I've felt twice as good.  The end of pointless arguements with people you don't know about things you can't influence.   And it's left me with more time to do the things I enjoy

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Full credit to Hattons with their replacement service, my first 66705 arrived on 9th April with the horrendous wobble, return was organised that day, I posted it Friday 10th (bank holiday and on Monday) so it didn't actually leave until Tuesday. Email received to say it had been received in Wednesday. Replacement posted Thursday, arrived this morning.

IMG_20200418_113310.jpg.50aec0bd785086206c24b317bade83c6.jpg

It still has issues, but they were fixable and 30 minutes work later I'm happy. Axle boxes cut down and glued in, these were definitely causing a wobble and now the loco runs very smoothly, I'm not worried about rotating axle boxes I'd rather it run well.

Two drivers arrived from ModelU in the week, so just a sound chip and speaker to obtain now for this one. Tempted to go for the Jamie Goodman variant which sounds good, and a bit cheaper than Biff too, as good as his is.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I guess the speed of replacement locos is different depending on many factors.

Sound fitted?  Heard they more or less ran out of pre-fitted ones.

Popular livery?  Means they will either refund or replace with a different one.

Mine was sent back on Tuesday (I think).  No word on it's replacement as yet but I'm patient.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A little update from my one. Since running on a proper track the wobble has gone so that’s great. Slight negative is that the coupling is poor and pulled off the lead wagon as soon as a corner was attempted. The centring spring is too strong. My fault for not testing prior to removing body as if like I have now done you want to fit wire couplings the body must be removed to change to the complete buffer beam set up. Anyway body off, little more work, body on and all is good. Should have fitted wire couplings from the start.

All good now and looks all the better for it doing justice to the beauty of the model. Still massively in model love with it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

Full credit to Hattons with their replacement service, my first 66705 arrived on 9th April with the horrendous wobble, return was organised that day, I posted it Friday 10th (bank holiday and on Monday) so it didn't actually leave until Tuesday. Email received to say it had been received in Wednesday. Replacement posted Thursday, arrived this morning.

IMG_20200418_113310.jpg.50aec0bd785086206c24b317bade83c6.jpg

It still has issues, but they were fixable and 30 minutes work later I'm happy. Axle boxes cut down and glued in, these were definitely causing a wobble and now the loco runs very smoothly, I'm not worried about rotating axle boxes I'd rather it run well.

Two drivers arrived from ModelU in the week, so just a sound chip and speaker to obtain now for this one. Tempted to go for the Jamie Goodman variant which sounds good, and a bit cheaper than Biff too, as good as his is.

Definitely a candidate for the best 66 livery, that.

i never paid much attention to the bluebirds becuase as they were arriving EWS was continually culling its 37s etc

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Definitely a candidate for the best 66 livery, that.

i never paid much attention to the bluebirds becuase as they were arriving EWS was continually culling its 37s etc

66705 was the last class 66 I drove to ironbridge power station for fastline before they went bust a couple of weeks later, she’ll always be a favourite of mine even though it’s now lost its flags 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

I liked the Fastline colours,its another option if this model is sorted out chassis wise and any body  livery variation should be an easy proposition for them to release.

No body mods needed, they already do ex fastline 66301 in its current DRS livery 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/365787/hattons_originals_h4_66_012_class_66_66301_in_drs_plain_livery_kingmoor_tmd_/stockdetail.aspx