Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

Guest Half-full
3 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Well ive only spent the last 50 years in engineering,this should have been picked up long before it got production with a batch of samples ran to destruction,thats the problem,its off cad and into production and sort it later. Hattons themselves should want it fixed as its the cost to there reputation and there must be a nice pile of returns and ones that cannot be sold for full price with the lighting board issue,If it was not for the sound fitted being so good it would be into the buffers.

Engineering samples were signed off before going into production, and, as always, they were perfect.  Once mass production is given the green light, corners are cut, always been the case, in every field.

Unless someone is at the factory from Hattons full time, visually inspecting and running every single item off the production line, then problems will arise.

Edited by Half-full

My experience with the hattons 66 hasn't been great either. I bought 4 of these locos originally. I had issues with two of them and had to return for replacements with various issues from detail damage loose parts and wobbling bogies. One of the locos had clearly been previously used as it very dirty wheels and no dcc blacking plug inside and the wires had been messed around with. Hattons replaced them with no hesitation so that was all fine. I have since purchased another loco and it too appears used. The wheels again have dirt on them and one bogie wobbles so badly it derails. I will be returning this for a replacement too. I am disappointed by the hit and miss of the quality of the locos, but hattons service has been good and at least they are replacing faulty locos. One can only imagine the amount of faulty locos they must now have. 

Matt

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, Half-full said:

Engineering samples were signed off before going into production, and, as always, there were perfect.

And as well as probably being made by the "A team" we don't know how many goes they had either!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/04/2020 at 11:42, TomScrut said:

Yes they are. Nationwide shortage of points and connectors it seems!

Social distancing...

A point is where rails converge, connectors join rails...

no excuses, keep your rails at least a scale 8mm apart at all times.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

I have 2 66,  both sound fitted locos. The colas one has ran fine from day one, the only issues being the axle box on one of the centre wheels etc on one bogie keeps throwing out as soon as the loco moves, it doesn't fall off, just hangs out by about 3mm.  It can be pushed back but soon pushes out again. It seems the centre wheels et has more play in it from side to side, which causes the axle box to throw out. If I move it wheels etc side to side it does just that.  

On my other 66, same issue, but I have a wobble mainly at one end. On the dcc concepts rolling road I can see that one of the leading wheelsets seems not to be fully in contact with the rollers and furthermore it also runs out of true, this seems to cause the wobble. 

Now one strange thing that happens is that when running on the RR in one direction only at a moderate speed, the motor will suddenly slow down for around a second, then resume normal speed. When it does this, a high pitched noise comes from the motor. It does this around every 2 to 3 minutes of running, only one direction though, the faster I run it the more often it will suddenly slow down. It run perfectly fine in opposite direction and the sound is unaffected when it happens. I've also noted that at low speed steps, between 1 and 5..It is very jerky in the direction that has the above issue, in the opposite direction it's fine. I use an NCE power cab control system and have tried it on speed steps 28 and 128.  In normal operation, to get the loco moving I wind the controller upto around 6, this allows a pretty gentle start. In the hattons manual it says not to alter any cv settings as they could effect or prevent programmed cv setting from working correctly. 

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

no excuses, keep your rails at least a scale 8mm apart at all times.

8mm equates to 2ft, not 2m. Rails should be kept at least 26.3mm apart for socially responsible self-isolation. 

8 hours ago, aquilla said:

I use an NCE power cab control system and have tried it on speed steps 28 and 128.  In normal operation, to get the loco moving I wind the controller upto around 6, this allows a pretty gentle start. In the hattons manual it says not to alter any cv settings as they could effect or prevent programmed cv setting from working correctly. 

I too have the NCE Powercab.

My two Hatton's 66 started to move at step 2, albeit it seemed to be a micro-movement and then stop, movement, stop etc.

At speed step 3 it was running slowly smoothly.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, truffy said:

8mm equates to 2ft, not 2m. Rails should be kept at least 26.3mm apart for socially responsible self-isolation. 

Oops nice catch !..

measure twice separate once, seems to work in the bedroom ;-)

Edited by adb968008

I would like commend Hattons for their Class 66, I  pre-ordered Freightliner 66418 with sound, I have not had any problems with the model the sound files are excellent and the Patriot Nameplate is excellent, I have a Roco Z21 and the start up and acceleration are very good not yet got to use all the functions, because of the above I decided to order a chip fitted DB Eurocargo {all the sound ones had gone] and this once again it performed immaculately so I have pre-ordered a sound GBRf Royal Scotsman, trusting it will run as well as other two.

I feel for those who have had poor runners and detailing problems.

So thanks Hattons.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I would definitely buy an NHS 66 if produced.

Yep, me too!

I'd also have 66720 and/or 66773. Whilst all 3 represent different things they all have rainbows on them and I am drawn to the bright colours! I know Bachmann has done 66720 but the going rate seems to be £150, which is what it would cost if Hattons did it (hint hint).

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Premium

Hattons chose their number/livery combinations carefully not to clash with any previously released 66 from other manufacturers.

A totally sensible idea.

As they announced others to the initial batch - such as 66789 and 66783, other manufacturers also duplicated those numbers.

With regard to the NHS 66731 (already done in GBRf by Bachmann and First/GBRf by Hattons), it will be unlikely that any of the major manufacturers will have one soon as it will have to coincide with production batches of their 66s.

It looks like a relatively easy repaint - where's my Bachy 66731........? (Although the window frames are incorrect)

There looks to be space for a nameplate above the side GBRf/Porterbrook logo................. ;);)

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, newbryford said:

There looks to be space for a nameplate above the side GBRf/Porterbrook logo................. ;);)

The interhub name won’t be going back on

(and yes I do know what it’s going to be named instead)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

i guess its after someone from the NHS who has lost there life,or pehaps  Chris Witty

Not quite.

But the name is entirely appropriate.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Sorry but I never see what the "I know something you don't" brings to any conversation.

Plus, I would have thought most people don't really care that much.

I would also suggest it belongs in a different thread.

Sorry for the neg. 

I’d happily say what it’s called but I don’t know if it’s public knowledge yet so don’t want to get in trouble with work, when it is revealed no doubt there will be some ‘meh!’ reaction anyway but it’s a nice name in my opinion 

Anyway to keep on topic I’ve phoned GBRf maintainance and asked them to remove a couple of the axle boxes on it, and put some glue round the nameplates when fitted

(ok that’s unfair, as my hattons 66 arrived in perfect nick!) 

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 00:38, aquilla said:

... Now one strange thing that happens is that when running on the RR in one direction only at a moderate speed, the motor will suddenly slow down for around a second, then resume normal speed. When it does this, a high pitched noise comes from the motor. It does this around every 2 to 3 minutes of running, only one direction though, the faster I run it the more often it will suddenly slow down. It run perfectly fine in opposite direction and the sound is unaffected when it happens. I've also noted that at low speed steps, between 1 and 5..It is very jerky in the direction that has the above issue, in the opposite direction it's fine...

That's exactly the description of a bearing that's slightly tight, heating and intermittently binding.  Most likely a motor bearing, but could be in whatever bearing arrangements are used for the worm shafts on top of the gear towers. (You should be able to tell by listening exactly where the problem is located.) A tiny dot of thin oil once you have found the bearing should result in temporary elimination of the noise and slowing effect until the oil is evaporated, to confirm this diagnosis.

It may clear up with extended running as it wears enough clearance on the bearing. I would suggest contacting Hattons and asking what they recommend.

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the NHS 66, whoever it is named after will be revealed in due course. However, if permission could be sought to run off 66731 in NHS colours with a premium on top of the normal selling price that goes to NHS charities I am sure it would be a good seller. As an NHS employee I would be happy to buy one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, 7013 said:

Regarding the NHS 66, whoever it is named after will be revealed in due course. However, if permission could be sought to run off 66731 in NHS colours with a premium on top of the normal selling price that goes to NHS charities I am sure it would be a good seller. As an NHS employee I would be happy to buy one.

It’s getting named on Thursday