Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

@Hattons Dave,Is the lighting fault repaired on the large headlights on the royal scotsman release??

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Very much looking forward to the Scotsman pair. Hopefully the lighting issue is sorted 

This is from the Hattons Class 66 Maintenance Page on their website.

image.png.d8a648d2c4d89f7deb61e8c8f5bf37aa.png

Thus I think the answer would be no they are not fixed unfortunately.

Edited by classy52
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Hattons Dave,

Will your Hattons Originals DCR-SND-66 Class 66 digital Sure Sound chip with Rail Rumble speaker come back into stock in the near future or will there will be a long lead time on these?

Cheers

Steve

11 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Hi Hattons Dave,

Will your Hattons Originals DCR-SND-66 Class 66 digital Sure Sound chip with Rail Rumble speaker come back into stock in the near future or will there will be a long lead time on these?

Cheers

Steve

Isn't the same thing available from DC kits?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Would be good if somebody made RTR coaches for them

Yes it would be. I’ve made my own. Did a thread on it here in the Modifying section. The etched Verandah kit is definitely the highlight of the whole build. Extremely fiddly but looks fantastic. https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120720-hilux5972s-royal-scotsman-build/&tab=comments#comment-2645163

Edited by Hilux5972
Spelling Correction and added link.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, classy52 said:

This is from the Hattons Class 66 Maintenance Page on their website.

image.png.d8a648d2c4d89f7deb61e8c8f5bf37aa.png

Thus I think the answer would be no they are not fixed unfortunately.

Ok so it can’t be operated independently. But they will still operate while the main headlights are on correct? 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

No ,if the left headlight is on you get the marker beside it,if the right headlight is on you get the right marker,if you look at page 86/87 theres a Colas one and the chap has fixed his.,the fault is in the boards by the cabs apparently.

Yes and no. I think the main board also has to be sorted as you need three functions, not two. The markers, left and right main all need to be switched independently, rather than as two pairs. 

Roy

41 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Yes and no. I think the main board also has to be sorted as you need three functions, not two. The markers, left and right main all need to be switched independently, rather than as two pairs. 

Roy

Surely the main board is the same for all versions, but they just don't wire the marker light function on these ones, so you'd have the pad there to wire to?

On 13/05/2020 at 08:02, truffy said:

So, and please forgive me if I’ve lost the plot or I’m stating the bleeding obvious, does this mean that the wobble and the popping axle boxes are symptoms of the same problem? And that problem is better solved with a drill bit than CA?

OK people I made a video which explains why the axle boxes can give trouble and by not just enlarging but elongate the hole helps your 66 to run the way it's meant too

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

3 minutes ago, Triumph1050 said:

OK people I made a video which explains why the axle boxes can give trouble and by not just enlarging but elongate the hole helps your 66 to run the way it's meant too

Looking at the still photo, I instantly thought that was the real thing at Toton!

19 hours ago, Triumph1050 said:

Well done Peter, you've identified the cause of this problem and come up with the solution....better than everybody having to return their locos to Hatton's ....... Hatton's should at least give you a couple of free locos of your choice......and they should give me a couple of free locos too for suggesting it 

Thank you 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I mentioned several months ago the need to enlarge the sideframe holes, but after that I had real problems remounting the AB caps - getting them trued properly.

In one I suggested they should be perhaps stamped in metal to permit a thinner shaft part.

One comment I made was that more purchase was required - slightly longer axles would help and possibly have them serrated or threaded at the ends onto which the AB caps could mount more cleanly.

It must be incredibly frustrating for Hattons as well as the owners ourselves to see what is an incredible model obviously lacking that last bit of QC development prior to signing off.

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

19 hours ago, Triumph1050 said:

Lol you're a brave man, I don't think you're aware what happened to the last person who posted a sensible & honest review video of the Hattons 66...last I heard he was in a Gulag in Russia :jester:

Top video!

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Lol you're a brave man, I don't think you're aware what happened to the last person who posted a sensible & honest review video of the Hattons 66...last I heard he was in a Gulag in Russia :jester:

Top video!

I have also done what maybe another punishable offence classy52. I have gone and used double i-phone speakers (to me sounds much better) instead of the EM2 that people are saying gives such wonderful sound and yet I thought it sounds awful .....OK I'm running for cover now never to be seen again :)

Edited by Triumph1050
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

21 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Has anyone seen this on the web,obviously a bright lad with electronics,i guess his large headlights would work after hes finished if he had one

http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-66hattons/index.htm

Having read the article...I adjusted the motor control cvs 51 and 52 as described and now my 66s will start at speed step 1 at a really slow crawl...It was very jerky before and I had to wind the speed step to 5 to get it to move...albeit jerky.  I use an nce power cab. 

• Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Has anyone seen this on the web,obviously a bright lad with electronics,i guess his large headlights would work after hes finished if he had one

http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-66hattons/index.htm

Oddly enough, that 66 has very little done with it compared to their other exploits! There are a lot of different mods they have done over the years to all sorts of stuff and it is all very well documented.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

True,but this is Hattons 66 related so i thought it might be of use here.

Yes I was just saying that it says a lot about this model the fact that there aren't that many changes. I don't think any rewiring of lights takes place for example.

• Agree 1

On 17/05/2020 at 10:15, Lee Clarke said:

Well done Peter, you've identified the cause of this problem and come up with the solution....better than everybody having to return their locos to Hatton's ....... Hatton's should at least give you a couple of free locos of your choice......and they should give me a couple of free locos too for suggesting it  

On 17/05/2020 at 10:39, atom3624 said:

I mentioned several months ago the need to enlarge the sideframe holes, but after that I had real problems remounting the AB caps - getting them trued properly.

In one I suggested they should be perhaps stamped in metal to permit a thinner shaft part. 

A useful video interpretation, and to echo @atom3624 in that this is pretty much as discussed back in March, in that greater tolerances in general around the axles are required:

...particularly to reiterate super-extending the axle itself (so that effectively the axle and axle-box cover become one solid engineered piece with little scope for error), whilst also incorporating sufficient tolerances in order to render the entire arrangement 'engineered' to at least the same degree as the rest of the gearbox/axle arrangement:    

66 axle d

Whilst super-extending the axles themselves in order to increase the level of precision - as opposed to relying on what are effectively at present cosmetic axle-ends - is perhaps part of the solution, I do think that this would likely create the possibility of too rigid an arrangement of the bogie itself - which again could create a new environment for uneven running.  Thoughts are that the tolerances on the centre axle - whilst being made greater than the existing design, should also perhaps be slightly tighter than on the outermost axles, these having greater room for movability so as to allow for a smoother ride.  Perhaps a little additional 'spring'/movement might be required in these outermost axles too?:

Print

Just an idea really...
Maybe others have different ideas...?
Maybe Hatton's have different ideas? Or no ideas?  Who can say... :D

cheers

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 16/05/2020 at 15:08, Triumph1050 said:

Thank you Peter for your comprehensive overview. The question arises, will these clip on housings eventually wear away under the weight the loco?

It does seem to be a fairly fragile arrangement. But I now feel more confident about fixing any wobble.

1 minute ago, 7013 said:

will these clip on housings eventually wear away under the weight the loco?

Having looked at them myself I think they will wear the axle box cover and to an extent the bogie frame moulding slightly until weight shifts onto the gearbox.

• Like 2

On 17/05/2020 at 11:12, Triumph1050 said:

I have gone and used double i-phone speakers (to me sounds much better) instead of the EM2 that people are saying gives such wonderful sound and yet I thought it sounds awful .....

That's interesting, as I'm likely to be retro-fitting sound to some of mine and it would be fairly useful to hear a comparison...  although I appreciate it is often difficult to make a judgement via video...

cheers
Al

46 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

On a footnote to these last threads,its not what we are going to do about it,its what are Hattons going to do to fix this once and for all as the model is flawed by this issue.

Its a joke to most who would be the people to buy it,and many will not until its addressed.

Exactly why would I contemplate buying a model that is flawed. I was really looking forward to this model, but will hold fire for now and continue with my Bachmann 66's.

• Agree 1