Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

1 hour ago, YesTor said:

That's interesting, as I'm likely to be retro-fitting sound to some of mine and it would be fairly useful to hear a comparison...  although I appreciate it is often difficult to make a judgement via video...

cheers
Al

Excuse the bit of fun at the start. 66789 fitted with double i-phone speaker. Which of corse was so easy to fit

Edited by Triumph1050
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, dave56 said:

I was really looking forward to this model, but will hold fire for now and continue with my Bachmann 66's.

Great, that means there’s more available for the rest of us who are willing to go to a little bit of effort and do some actual modelling. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Great, that means there’s more available for the rest of us who are willing to go to a little bit of effort and do some actual modelling. 

Is that the definition of modelling now, having to modify a brand new loco to stop bits falling off?

Having built my garden railway (see below) there are a number of new models that will never run on it because after nearly 3km of scale running I am not sure how much of them will be left when it gets back and I will never find the parts that have dropped off in the lawn!! My lovely Hattons 66789 being one of them. All great until you can't get replacement parts any more.

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

3 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

Is that the definition of modelling now, having to modify a brand new loco to stop bits falling off?

Having built my garden railway (see below) there are a number of new models that will never run on it because after nearly 3km of scale running I am not sure how much of them will be left when it gets back and I will never find the parts that have dropped off in the lawn!! My lovely Hattons 66789 being one of them. All great until you can't get replacement parts any more.

Do you predict modellers will panic-buy and stockpile axle-box covers for the future?

I'm not a real financial advisor, but I predict the smart money should invest in axle-box covers from Hatton's and wait for the value to go up, it could be the only way out of the forthcoming financial crisis 

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 10:39, classy52 said:

Lol you're a brave man, I don't think you're aware what happened to the last person who posted a sensible & honest review video of the Hattons 66...last I heard he was in a Gulag in Russia :jester:

Top video!

Nah... that's the treatment for Bachmann stuff.

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

So who is looking forward to what in June of the next batch of 66 models,whos taken the plunge and paid the piper.I see Biffa with sound finally sold out on pre order,only Scotsman pair for a clean sweep.

I have 2 DC ones coming. Cemex and ONE.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dicky L said:

66780 66783 66587 & 66623 all sound fitted on order for me, although 66623 may well become a repaint donor if my worst fears are confirmed regarding this particular loco. 

I’ve got 66623 (sound) on order too but mine will be going back if it does turn out to be what we are hoping it’s not going to be....

• Friendly/supportive 1

66779 and 66773 were on my radar. Thankfully they were not part of the first batch and I hope Hatton's iron out the issues for following batches.

7 hours ago, Shoey said:

This post may well be deleted (please do so if necessary) but would like to see these produced by Hattons one day.

F5298219-E24C-44AC-B912-46C8A4C2B768.jpeg

084503DB-F847-40AC-91D9-2B247F82BCE5.jpeg

1F802CCA-674A-4087-89FC-A664F791B786.jpeg

048407B1-4821-4F24-8C56-E6B2AAB75A5F.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shoey said:

This post may well be deleted (please do so if necessary) but would like to see these produced by Hattons one day.

I have a Bachmann 66779 but would happily replace it with a Hattons' one. Likewise with my 66721. They do both look like the poor relations of my 2 Hattons ones at the moment.

66773 (as you have mentioned), 66720 and 66718 would be on my shopping list too.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Shoey said:

F5298219-E24C-44AC-B912-46C8A4C2B768.jpeg

It was this possibility that led me to hold off on Blue’s. Even axleboxgate wouldn’t be much of an issue, since it would spend most of the time as a shelf queen next to 92220. 

2 hours ago, truffy said:

It was this possibility that led me to hold off on Blue’s. Even axleboxgate wouldn’t be much of an issue, since it would spend most of the time as a shelf queen next to 92220. 

Lucky this one isn't bug-eyed as you'll be dealing with circuitboardgate as well as axleboxgate...btw isn't the Colas version involved with liverygate, has axleboxgate & circuitboardgate thus allthreegates since it is bug-eyed :crazy:

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Shoey said:

I’ve got 66623 (sound) on order too but mine will be going back if it does turn out to be what we are hoping it’s not going to be....

I have little confidence in the Orange being correct. It looks exactly like the pale orange used on 66413. I would like some reassurance from Hattons that there model is the correct colour. The issue would be easily resolved by placing it next to the Hornby model for comparison. 

• RMweb Gold

I have little confidence in the Orange being correct. It looks exactly like the pale orange used on 66413. I would like some reassurance from Hattons that there model is the correct colour.

Hi DIcky L,

We've worked closely with Freightliner and the original paint suppliers to confirm the correct shade of orange used on the real life 66623 and this is what we have used when creating the colour layouts.

As well as the images on our product listings we showed the sample live on our YouTube channel just after it arrived which shows the model in a more natural light.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Shoey said:

Definitely all of those, particularly 'Evening Star'.  And also 66623 with original Bardon Aggregates branding.  A few others as well that would be definite purchases:

66721 at northampton

66720 Basingstoke

The Stobart 'twins':

66414 66411 Carlisle Kingmoor

66747 IMG_5186

Ideal companions for Cavalex's JGA Bardon hoppers, I'd certainly bag both of these:

66623 North Wingfield 6M01 1110 Tinsley - Bardon Hill 13-03-14

And to be honest just some good old 'plain jane' EWS (with correct logos), Freightliner (bug-eyed with correct lights), GBRf etc are always gonna be good...

Endless possibilities... I could go on all day, but I'd best stop already...  :D

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, YesTor said:

Definitely all of those, particularly 'Evening Star'.  And also 66623 with original Bardon Aggregates branding.  A few others as well that would be definite purchases:

66720 Basingstoke

Endless possibilities... I could go on all day, but I'd best stop now...  :D

Agreed, some excellent liveries that I'd like too. However I'd be concerned with 66720 as depicted, as the intended style reproduced on a model might look like a cack-handed attempt at a repaint job with poor freehand painting skills.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

Agreed, some excellent liveries that I'd like too. However I'd be concerned with 66720 as depicted, as the intended style reproduced on a model might look like a cack-handed attempt at a repaint job with poor freehand painting skills.

I dunno, the Bachmann version of 66720 was superb livery-wise.  I'd hope that others could achieve a similar standard...?

I have little confidence in the Orange being correct. It looks exactly like the pale orange used on 66413. I would like some reassurance from Hattons that there model is the correct colour. The issue would be easily resolved by placing it next to the Hornby model for comparison. 

Are we certain that Hornby have the correct shade?  It may well appear darker, but that doesn't necessarily equate to being correct...?

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, YesTor said:

I dunno, the Bachmann version of 66720 was superb livery-wise.  I'd hope that others could achieve a similar standard...?

I wasn't suggesting that Hattons couldn't do an excellent reproduction with the livery, I'm sure they would. It was more that others looking at the model on my layout might think 'I' had a poor attempt at repainting a model, what with all the wavy and uneven lines.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dicky L said:

I have little confidence in the Orange being correct. It looks exactly like the pale orange used on 66413.

To be fair on Hattons, I seem to remember a video where even GBRF said they swapped the orange on 3 different locos.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Damo666 said:

Freehand makes it easy!...…. (well before the Bachy/Rail Express model) - photo by Andy Y

66720.jpg.fba20b57ceae119baeab8b7cbaf10d33.jpg

• Like 5