Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

I have   issues with the 66. 66433 Twice. First one sent back with the wires twisted so I could Not fit the speaker and one wire of the board. So send that one back for a replacement. Second one came put the em2 speaker and the sound all working fine. Put the body back on red lights went in the coupling end. Put the dc plug back in still no red lights. Put the sound chip back in still no red lights. Spoke to a nice lady from Hattons told me to send it back to them as it is. They will sort it out. Got told yesterday they can not fit the sound in the replacement model. It came back to day with the sound chip In the box but no speaker. I am not very happy with this. They have told I have got to wait until Tuesday.  If u see this Dave I need my speaker back as soon as possible this Is poor service. How can u take the sound chip out and not the speaker to. Don’t understand the logic. 

Guest Half-full
5 minutes ago, Walkes07 said:

I have   issues with the 66. 66433 Twice. First one sent back with the wires twisted so I could Not fit the speaker and one wire of the board. So send that one back for a replacement. Second one came put the em2 speaker and the sound all working fine. Put the body back on red lights went in the coupling end. Put the dc plug back in still no red lights. Put the sound chip back in still no red lights. Spoke to a nice lady from Hattons told me to send it back to them as it is. They will sort it out. Got told yesterday they can not fit the sound in the replacement model. It came back to day with the sound chip In the box but no speaker. I am not very happy with this. They have told I have got to wait until Tuesday.  If u see this Dave I need my speaker back as soon as possible this Is poor service. How can u take the sound chip out and not the speaker to. Don’t understand the logic. 

I would imagine they forgot to put the speaker in the box, its not poor service.  You should have your speaker back, but you dont need it as soon as possible.

Hatton's, like a lot of businesses will most probably be running on low staffing, and a lot of pressure.  Give them a break.  Its a bank holiday this weekend, even if the speaker was posted out tomorrow you wouldn't get it back until at least wednesday/thursday.

I understand they have low staff at the moment. When u send something U expect it to come back as u sent it. U take the sound chip out and the speaker out. Could not be any easier than that. Even took the body of to take the sound chip out. This is just crazy. This is so frustrating. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

It's poor service from the person involved at Hattons with sorting out the faulty sound loco return, You would expect the replacement to included the fitted decoder and EM2 speaker so the purchaser can run in out of the box. There's no excuse for the replacement decoder to be left in the box let alone a missing speaker reguardless of current situations imposed.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, newbryford said:

Locos are painted in company colours or carry associated names as part of a wider commercial deal. I doubt they pay the FOC to carry the brand.

Glad you said this, as I did watch the video out of curiosity to decided do I have another go at buying some Hatton's 66s or watch for Bachmann to bring us a decent one... 

Did the guy in the video really suggest companies pay the FOCs for 'advertorial' space/liveries? Bonkers! It is always FOC lead, always in celebration of a new important contract. Always paid for by the FOC. It is good PR for the FOC, saying "look! we are passionate about delivering a superb service, as a customer - why not bring your freight requirements our way". You could argue, GBRf are exceptionally good at doing this and which FOC is always growing/carrying the industries best reputation?....  The only complication comes when seeking approval to use the branding on a scale model. The FOC shall have terms, each FOC is different (often of not depends on whether the director is a modeller or not - you know who you are!)...these are not a problem at all...it is the corporate brand...who's brand department likely has never heard of a model train and shall assume there is a commercial edge to the deal. The trick then, is to just try a different tack and hunt down a modeller in said company...or someone after a deal. Otherwise you might indeed end up paying dearly. Like with anything in life, it is all about who you know! 

The video kinda had an effect in putting me off the Hatton's 66 more! Why did they not state once that they understand there were quality issues with the first batch...all has been addressed here ... inc. working marker lights. I just would be so disappointed if I lent Hatton's my money again and I got a parcel like I did last time. Come on Bachmann, I am trying to be patient and wait here! 

If Hatton's Dave can address us here, how the plan to solve the issues and whether this shall be on batch 2 (due next month) or not until a future batch. This shall help me decide what to do a lot. But I suspect he cannot, as we all know Bachmann read RMWeb... 

Guest Half-full
25 minutes ago, Walkes07 said:

I understand they have low staff at the moment. When u send something U expect it to come back as u sent it. U take the sound chip out and the speaker out. Could not be any easier than that. Even took the body of to take the sound chip out. This is just crazy. This is so frustrating. 

You understand they have low staff but then criticize them for trying help you.  They do not have to fit sound in the replacement model, if its your own decoder.  How would you feel if they put the decoder in but damaged it in the process?

If this is frustrating you, you really need to take a long hard look at yourself

Its a model train, its not an essential, its not life saving

Oh, and its YOU not U

Guest Half-full
28 minutes ago, Gronkster said:

It's poor service from the person involved at Hattons with sorting out the faulty sound loco return, You would expect the replacement to included the fitted decoder and EM2 speaker so the purchaser can run in out of the box. There's no excuse for the replacement decoder to be left in the box let alone a missing speaker reguardless of current situations imposed.

From what I can gather, its the customers own decoder, so Hattons do not have to install the decoder to the replacement model, nor the speaker.  Yes, the speaker should have been sent back but most probably missed out by accident.

Its not poor service

4 minutes ago, Half-full said:

From what I can gather, its the customers own decoder, so Hattons do not have to install the decoder to the replacement model, nor the speaker.  Yes, the speaker should have been sent back but most probably missed out by accident.

Its not poor service

Oh, and it’s , not its....

• Funny 6

30 minutes ago, 159220 said:

The FOC shall have terms

That's what I was thinking earlier though. If the variations in liveries are good for their brand, and they can get a fee for licensing it so us lot can buy models, then depending on the figures it is in the interest of the FOC to have lots of "celebs" so that there are lots of models and their fancy brandings could be subsidised or even paid for by the modellers.

If they are repainting a loco anyway then other than paying for the design (if not done in house) and any vinyls/extra time for complicated details are the only on cost. I'd expect this would be covered by the fees for a model? So it's kind of a win win for the FOC as they get better brand image for maybe little spend. Because you can almost guarantee when a nice looking special livery comes out it's likely to be done by somebody, at least when talking 66s where there are 3 manufacturers in OO alone.

I doubt given how well covered the current scene is there is any trouble actually getting an agreement out of somebody unless it's already done with somebody else as an exclusive. It does seem like almost every model company has a deal with almost every operating company.

Edited by TomScrut

It doesn't matter if the decoder had been fitted by the customer. The loco was sent back fully fitted with decoder and speaker and I for one would expect it to come back fitted if it was mine.

I used to work in model railway trade/retail and the branch I worked in, I did all the loco service work on my own if the loco was out of warranty or just come in for a service, If they where under manufacture warranty then those went to the company involved for sorting. Not once did a loco get sent back to the customer with things missing or not fitted back inside.

EM2 aint a small cube speaker. What every Hattons do now, It's still poor service regardless of what you think.

• Like 2

Guest Half-full
5 minutes ago, Gronkster said:

It doesn't matter if the decoder had been fitted by the customer. The loco was sent back fully fitted with decoder and speaker and I for one would expect it to come back fitted if it was mine.

I used to work in model railway trade/retail and the branch I worked in, I did all the loco service work on my own if the loco was out of warranty or just come in for a service, If they where under manufacture warranty then those went to the company involved for sorting. Not once did a loco get sent back to the customer with things missing or not fitted back inside.

EM2 aint a small cube speaker. What every Hattons do now, It's still poor service regardless of what you think.

Low staffing, lots of pressure, doing stuff you don't need to do in the middle of a global pandemic does not equal poor service.

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

That's what I was thinking earlier though. If the variations in liveries are good for their brand, and they can get a fee for licensing it so us lot can buy models, then depending on the figures it is in the interest of the FOC to have lots of "celebs" so that there are lots of models and their fancy brandings could be subsidised or even paid for by the modellers.

If they are repainting a loco anyway then other than paying for the design (if not done in house) and any vinyls/extra time for complicated details are the only on cost. I'd expect this would be covered by the fees for a model? So it's kind of a win win for the FOC as they get better brand image for maybe little spend. Because you can almost guarantee when a nice looking special livery comes out it's likely to be done by somebody, at least when talking 66s where there are 3 manufacturers in OO alone.

I doubt given how well covered the current scene is there is any trouble actually getting an agreement out of somebody unless it's already done with somebody else as an exclusive. It does seem like almost every model company has a deal with almost every operating company.

For customer liveries, it is not just the FOC that has to grant permission, and it known that some companies (including FOCs) have been very protective of their image rights. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

If they are repainting a loco anyway then other than paying for the design (if not done in house) and any vinyls/extra time for complicated details are the only on cost. I'd expect this would be covered by the fees for a model?

I remember reading somewhere that a locomotive repaint cost somewhere in the region of £10k.

Al

7 hours ago, armleyroad said:

Hattons - I would like to see Metronet 66719, 66718/21 (London) if it's possible to do those older liveries...

SAM_5851.JPG

Would there be a market for "another" few hundred of these, when people have already paid good sums of money for a Bachmann version.  Same with 66779.   Yes, it would no doubt be very nice, but would enough people wish to pay £150, when they already have it, and their Bachmann model is "fair".  Plus there are lots to go at, without duplicating, and most folk would probably sooner have something like 66747 instead.  I think the ethos needs to be to move forward on new items, not just duplicate what has gone before, and Hattons should be congratulated on avoiding duplication where possible.  Also, would expect from "earlier" conversations on licencing - the London Transport models were done via their own London Transport Museum, so perhaps TFL would not wish to grant permission.  To Bachmann's credit, they did a super job on the livery of the two London Transport Class 66's.  The other factor if I recall correctly is - that I believe that contract has ended, so perhaps the FOC would not really be that keen on producing that model either.

Best Regards,

C.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Oh, and it’s , not its....

While we're on a grammar police sideline.

Not aimed at you Rob

And it's "I am not", not "I aren't"..........

:tease:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, YesTor said:

I remember reading somewhere that a locomotive repaint cost somewhere in the region of £10k.

Al

Which makes sense I'd say.

But the thing is if they are painting it anyway, it's only the cost of the design and added complexity/vinyls that is the inconvenience.

Quite a lot of GBRF celebs were repainted into those liveries when bought IIRC

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Is that for a model?  !!!  :o

More serious note, aren't they wrapping a lot of rolling stock and locomotives nowadays?

Al.

I'd have thought complex stuff is a wrap, or a wrap with a base layer of paint, but most of them such as a plain blue/orange GBRF or a red DB would be painted I'd say.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Looks good on your layout ! Which is cool as you’ve invested the GDP of a small African country in them !

Maybe he’s a Nigerian prince who got lucky with one of his emails? 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

17 hours ago, dogbox321 said:

I think the ethos needs to be to move forward on new items, not just duplicate what has gone before, and Hattons should be congratulated on avoiding duplication where possible. 

Naturally, a forward-thinking ethos is always to be congratulated.  It could be argued that as part of that ethos it is also reasonable to request/hope for/expect new versions of previously issued liveries, if indeed the newer model itself is perceived as being superior to, or at least substantially different from its predecessor.  Moreover, it seems unlikely that producing 'Evening Star', Stobart, Bardon etc liveries again is somehow going to be at the sacrifice of producing other more recent one-off variants, especially in light of the seeming current trend of mass simultaneous releases (37 x Class 66 variations) is to be considered. 

Another perspective - If the Hornby Collectors Guide is in any way accurate it would appear that Hornby first released 'Flying Scotsman' back in 1981, and seemingly thirty-one consecutive times since?  It would be a little unfortunate if the 1981 release were the only ever release of such an iconic machine.  Whether any of our favourite 'sheds' will ever fall into similar iconic status is a total unknown (unlikely perhaps... :lol: ), but ultimately whether a livery is the first time or hundredth time produced, any future release is always going to be dependent on a number of conditions being met:

1. Is there sufficient demand for the proposed model?
  2. Do we have permission to reproduce said livery? 
  3. If not then can we obtain permission and is it cost effective to do so?

If the answer is "yes" to all of the above questions then there is profit to be made, whether there are previous versions already on the market, or not.  Nothing revelatory in any of the above really - whether it's 'Flying Scotsman', 66779 'Evening Star', or some obscure paint scheme on the back of an ice-cream van, the conditions are always going to be the same. 

Best
Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 4

I was surprised that we have not seen a DB red with the large DB logo released. In the time neither Bachmann or Hattons have released one except for the TMC YIWU-LONDON DB Livery Limited Edition.

IMHO a plain but much better looking livery than the EWS zig zag livery.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:

I was surprised that we have not seen a DB red with the large DB logo released. In the time neither Bachmann or Hattons have released one except for the TMC YIWU-LONDON DB Livery Limited Edition.

IMHO a plain but much better looking livery than the EWS zig zag livery.

I agree I really don't like the EWS livery! The DB red is smart I think. I think pretty much all the current freight operators have good basic liveries now.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I agree I really don't like the EWS livery! The DB red is smart I think. I think pretty much all the current freight operators have good basic liveries now.

It's probably because it's a bit dated now, perhaps we might see a DB large brand in the next batch and even the PD ports or a DB Maritime Blue livery, plenty to go at now ????  

• Like 4