Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

1 hour ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Got my replacement yesterday, although it's looking more and more like a customer return.

Just had a message to say it had been picked and arrived the next day. No email to say what they had done but I know it's not my original loco back.

There is a slight wobble - about the same as my first one. But no motor jerk, so great there!

Half an hour each way on the rolling road, all axle boxes still in place - the joy is building.

Give it a whirl on the layout.

Derailed in a place the first one didn't. Then again on a straight. Lost one axle box, so I thiught I'd try it with a wagon.

Still derailed in a few spots, although none of it in the single place the first one did.

Come to refit the axle box and it seems the axle shaft is quite short. I can't imagine this wearing has occurred through my hour or so of use at lowish speed?

IMG_20200529_170520.jpg.f7bc34919b37b100a9653dcc7ebb1b07.jpg

IMG_20200529_170538.jpg.09d4aa8e526833cf62ede6715c5d4bd6.jpg

I don't know if I've received a customer return or what. I guess they had no more non-sound 001's to swap the speaker and decoder over to (or it was to much effort).

While I am greedy enough to want the best, this loco just isn't worth it.

So all in all, it'll be going back and I think for a full refund.

Just means I have 10 HTA hoppers with no loco to pull them now.

Basically Hattons have sent you someone else's reject and is effectively used going by the caked on glue.

I would send it back & request a brand new one that hasn't been sent back but its entirely up to you to keep it or not.

• Agree 1

On 29/05/2020 at 18:58, classy52 said:

Hattons have sent you someone else's reject

Which IF that is the case it's not good anyway but I am pretty certain Dave said they wouldn't do that a while back on this thread

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 1

I mean, they appear to have non-sound versions in stock.

Maybe I should buy one and brave swapping the speaker / decoder myself.

Will see what they say over the weekend.

I guess it's just the wear on the bogie that makes me think it's a return.

• Agree 1

On 29/05/2020 at 18:58, classy52 said:

Basically Hattons have sent you someone else's reject and is effectively used going by the caked on glue.

You cannot present this as fact.  When the axle-box covers are removed there is generally dried glue on the tip of the axle, after all that's how they are assembled in the first place... 

On 29/05/2020 at 20:58, Sir TophamHatt said:

I guess it's just the wear on the bogie that makes me think it's a return.

I'd agree that circular recess around the centre axle does indeed appear particularly worn.  :(

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have returned mine for a refund but was considering an EWS one and was going to ask if they can test before despatched but based on the experience above I am going to wait until the second batch is announced (assuming there is an ews model in there) and then hopefully this axlebox issue will have been addressed and sorted.

Worth noting though although mine eventually went back the customer service from hattons was its usual high standard so definitely no complaints there?

mark

8 hours ago, YesTor said:

When the axle-box covers are removed there is generally dried glue on the tip of the axle, after all that's how they are assembled in the first place... 

Yes fair enough but IMO this loco looks used when you assess the bogie & wheels in their entirety based on the supplied photos and that excess glue looks like a second attempt.

I'd agree that circular recess around the centre axle does indeed appear particularly worn.  :(

Which is why this looks like a used product which I'm sure you agree.

2 hours ago, classy52 said:

When the axle-box covers are removed there is generally dried glue on the tip of the axle, after all that's how they are assembled in the first place... 

Yes fair enough but IMO this loco looks used when you assess the bogie & wheels in their entirety based on the supplied photos and that excess glue looks like a second attempt.

Which is why this looks like a used product which I'm sure you agree.

That was my point, the wear around the centre axle does look odd.  I'm not so certain that the glue is necessarily an indication of a second attempt - depends how neatly it was assembled in the first place, some of them do look like that when the covers are removed. 

Anyway, previously owned or not is not really my concern, I was simply trying to help @SirTophamHatt hopefully get his loco running, as I could tell he was undoubtedly a little frustrated by now.  It's not my place to split hairs over whether the loco is previously used, or otherwise.   That should be a discussion between the buyer and Hattons IMHO.

Best
Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 3

More and more, judging people's experiences, it seems to be the case that the best way to deal with the axle box problems and the sound fitting is to do it yourself! Fitting sound - and remember, it's Bif's anyway - is really easy although a bit more pricey buying it separately and the axle boxes just require care and attention to get them secure and non-wobbly. I did this with my 66's and now feel quite chuffed (is that an inverse pun, I wonder?) that I fixed them and that they run beautifully. Yes, I agree that the models shouldn't be faulty in the first place, but the fact is that some of them are, and appear to be being 'recycled' for other faulty models. Stay alert - fix your models - enjoy your 66.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Edna Clouds said:

More and more, judging people's experiences, it seems to be the case that the best way to deal with the axle box problems and the sound fitting is to do it yourself! Fitting sound - and remember, it's Bif's anyway - is really easy although a bit more pricey buying it separately and the axle boxes just require care and attention to get them secure and non-wobbly. I did this with my 66's and now feel quite chuffed (is that an inverse pun, I wonder?) that I fixed them and that they run beautifully. Yes, I agree that the models shouldn't be faulty in the first place, but the fact is that some of them are, and appear to be being 'recycled' for other faulty models. Stay alert - fix your models - enjoy your 66.

Absolutely.

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Gold

Theres a huge implication being made to suggestions above that any retailer could take very seriously.
i’d be very cautious of making accusations of such nature.

There does seem to be a growing trend of comments that are potentially damaging to a business and its revenues being freely banded about..

Whether its the desire to show the depth of ones brain, in contest of magnifying minute details as major faults,  or a hidden wish to express opinion designed to stall sales and to drive a discount in the future... 

I know comments I have read here, have converted my mind against purchase several times, Terrier, 66, 33... come to mind... if you have just 10 like minded influenced souls then 5 figure sales are damaged.

at some point someones going to get hurt...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

I am very happy with my 66, it was sent back as it arrived dead. Hattons were quick and efficient to replace it and I’ve had no issues with it. But the model was ‘hyped’ so much that many people are saying it’s not delivered. Obviously quality seems to be lacking, more so than other manufacturers. Hattons could have easily been more open about this and break the mould of manufacturers, like accurascale are doing. Hopefully an improved second batch comes. 

• Agree 5

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Theres a huge implication being made to suggestions above that any retailer could take very seriously.
i’d be very cautious of making accusations of such nature.

There does seem to be a growing trend of comments that are potentially damaging to a business and its revenues being freely banded about..

Whether its the desire to show the depth of ones brain, in contest of magnifying minute details as major faults,  or a hidden wish to express opinion designed to stall sales and to drive a discount in the future... 

I know comments I have read here, have converted my mind against purchase several times, Terrier, 66, 33... come to mind... if you have just 10 like minded influenced souls then 5 figure sales are damaged.

at some point someones going to get hurt...

Isn’t that the point of the Internet forum, to gauge someone else’s experience , to make an informed purchase decision ? 

• Agree 7

3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Isn’t that the point of the Internet forum, to gauge someone else’s experience , to make an informed purchase decision ? 

Of course, I wholeheartedly and passionately agree on this point and it is one of the greatest aspects of the internet, however... there are occasions where what are clearly little more than individuals' flippant viewpoints or opinions, are instead presented in the form of hard indisputable facts.  And that presents a HUGE and potentially damaging difference: 

We only need to re-read some of the comments further up this very page to see declarations of, (quote) "someone else's reject" [having been supplied to a buyer] as absolute fact - from what could be estimated originates from someone that likely hasn't purchased one of these models for themselves, and therefore unlikely to be placed in a fair position in order to be able to reach such a specific and direct assessment of the product.  I will emphasise that this latter point hasn't been highlighted in order to 'have a pop' at any specific individual, as I am pretty sure that many of these comments are likely posted quite innocently and before actually thinking of the likely effects.  However it does hopefully provide food for thought.  And from what I can gather that's part of the point that  @adb968008 might be making (although I'm happy to be corrected, of course)?!

Similarly, one much earlier "Brutally honest review" springs to mind - presented in what one might arguably regard as an attempt at a 'professional review-styled' video format -  whereby said reviewer can then be seen to go on and openly state in later comments... "Hopefully some of this dodgy first run will end up in the bargain bin at some point..."  

So again, taking a little time to read between the lines does in some instances raise questions over what may indeed hold potential underlying motives, or conversely may simply be a flippant, ill-thought-through comment.   

We can all be guilty of saying things without sufficient thought at times (myself included!), but I think that's perhaps the underlying message here, ie. think a little more before we speak...

Best

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Thats not the entirety.

theres never been an magnum opus model created. Everyone has some issue somewhere.

maybe I am getting old, but in the past if a a defect was detected, it was usually accompanied with a way to rectify it.

if someone admits defèat, then fair enough, thats their opinion and experience, but beyond agreeing / disagreeing / counter proposing ideas, with them, thats as far as anyone else can go, unless they have the same experience.

Thats what modelling is afterall.

3 hours ago, YesTor said:

Of course, I wholeheartedly and passionately agree on this point and it is one of the greatest aspects of the internet, however... there are occasions where what are clearly little more than individuals' flippant viewpoints or opinions, are instead presented in the form of hard indisputable facts.  And that presents a HUGE and potentially damaging difference: 

We only need to re-read some of the comments further up this very page to see declarations of, (quote) "someone else's reject" [having been supplied to a buyer] as absolute fact - from what could be estimated originates from someone that likely hasn't purchased one of these models for themselves, and therefore unlikely to be placed in a fair position in order to be able to reach such a specific and direct assessment of the product.  I will emphasise that this latter point hasn't been highlighted in order to 'have a pop' at any specific individual, as I am pretty sure that many of these comments are likely posted quite innocently and before actually thinking of the likely effects.  However it does hopefully provide food for thought.  And from what I can gather that's part of the point that  @adb968008 might be making (although I'm happy to be corrected, of course)?!

Similarly, one much earlier "Brutally honest review" springs to mind - presented in what one might arguably regard as an attempt at a 'professional review-styled' video format -  whereby said reviewer can then be seen to go on and openly state in later comments... "Hopefully some of this dodgy first run will end up in the bargain bin at some point..."  

So again, taking a little time to read between the lines does in some instances raise questions over what may indeed hold potential underlying motives, or conversely may simply be a flippant, ill-thought-through comment.   

We can all be guilty of saying things without sufficient thought at times (myself included!), but I think that's perhaps the underlying message here, ie. think a little more before we speak...

Best

Al

Give it a rest!

I was making an observation not a flipping "Declaration" and in my opinion it looked like something that had been sent back and re-issued to the customer in question so please stop clutching those pearls because you certainly have a history of that in this thread.

Just chill out & go lay down or have a beer...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Give it a rest!

I was making an observation not a flipping "Declaration" and in my opinion it looked like something that had been sent back and re-issued to the customer in question so please stop clutching those pearls because you certainly have a history of that in this thread.

Just chill out & go lay down or have a beer...

Modellers are such a friendly bunch of like minded collective souls.
Always happy to have a chat and share some wisdom

• Funny 4

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Thats not the entirety.

theres never been an magnum opus model created. Everyone has some issue somewhere.

maybe I am getting old, but in the past if a a defect was detected, it was usually accompanied with a way to rectify it.

if someone admits defèat, then fair enough, thats their opinion and experience, but beyond agreeing / disagreeing / counter proposing ideas, with them, thats as far as anyone else can go, unless they have the same experience.

Thats what modelling is afterall.

We’ve gone round in a circle and come back to the “ should we be fixing brand new models “ debate. I’m not gonna open that can of worms again though, it’s been done to death !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Ok we all get uppity at times but just a heads up everyone there is 'no conspiracy against Hattons', even you think there is considering the amount of negativity directed at posts which highlight the issues or when people make observations.

I am man enough to admit that I haven't purchased any Hattons Class 66's but I had a few on pre-order (with sound) but cancelled them based on the evidence presented in these forums & YouTube and there are underlying issues with the build quality but it sounds and looks fantastic and I really mean that.

As ERIC  ALLTORQUE had posted we haven't seen anything from Hattons to say whether these issues will be rectified in future releases because contrary to what certain people think I really do want these 66's with sound but I currently do not have a layout and won't have one for another 12 months probably thus I cannot afford to buy these and discover the issues past the warranty expiration which I assume is 12 months (you can correct me if I'm wrong) and yes Hattons would probably replace faulty products after the warranty expiration if they were just sitting there as shelf queens but I can't take that chance.

We all know the Hattons Class 66 is a great looking & sounding loco which leaves the opposition for dust but please Hattons get these issues rectified for future batches and even for those getting theirs at the end of June.

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1