Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

37 minutes ago, Dicky L said:

that’s what i was pointing out. you have to upgrade to the EM2 speaker on the DC Kits site to get exactly the same sound setup as Hattons. 

Aye i know mate. I was backing you up because i reas it as Pre Grouping Fan was saying that you were wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daz9284 said:

yes but it's £140 and not £122.50.

The Sound File was given to ESU for  Downloading in China onto the NEW ESU Version 5 MKL Decoder, the speakers were delivered from the Manufacture in China to the Model Manufacture in China to be fitted in the factory.  Thus if eveything is done in China including the locomotives then Hattons profit we assume comes from the locomotive, the sounds being an add on.

If we (DCkits-Legomanbiffo) are getting decoders from Germany, Speakers from China it becomes obvious the the costs will be higher sadly.

Hope this clears this up, as its a bit difficult for us to compete with China !!!

Charlie

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, charliepetty said:

The Sound File was given to ESU for  Downloading in China onto the NEW ESU Version 5 MKL Decoder, the speakers were delivered from the Manufacture in China to the Model Manufacture in China to be fitted in the factory.  Thus if eveything is done in China including the locomotives then Hattons profit we assume comes from the locomotive, the sounds being an add on.

If we (DCkits-Legomanbiffo) are getting decoders from Germany, Speakers from China it becomes obvious the the costs will be higher sadly.

Hope this clears this up, as its a bit difficult for us to compete with China !!!

Charlie

Hi Charlie, I wasn't having a go at the cost. It was at Pre Grouping Fan, as they were looking at the price of the sound file with a standard speaker and not the cost with the EM2 speaker.

Off topic, do you know which speaker Dapol will be fitting into the 59 using  your sound?

many thanks

darryl

On 08/07/2020 at 08:39, daz9284 said:

Hi Charlie, I wasn't having a go at the cost. It was at Pre Grouping Fan, as they were looking at the price of the sound file with a standard speaker and not the cost with the EM2 speaker.

Off topic, do you know which speaker Dapol will be fitting into the 59 using  your sound?

many thanks

darryl

Ir it a Normal Dapol design, Bass Reflex, Double Dumbo or EM1 Speaker + anothe 8ohm one.

Charlie

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If I were to do anything with mine, I am not sure that I would look to change the axles. Rather I would get some brass tube, locktite that to the axle stub, paint it black and attach just the axlebox cover to the end, probably with epoxy.

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

There is no axle stub to speak of,thats the issue it needs the axle carried beyond the wheel to locate a sleeve to run true,i want it fixed once and forget about it,glueing to the end of the wheel face is the problem,even running true they detatch,will post how it goes once ive got replacement parts made.

There is a stub, short but there nonetheless. The problem is that bonding plastic to it isn’t reliable, but something like brass will, I believe, bond better and be stronger. 

Roy

• Agree 1

The other thing is what there is of an axle stub isn't 'laser cut perpendicular' at the end - it's rounded somewhat - leaving less to bind to.

I put 12 Freightliner hoppers, with loads onto my 4th radius 'test track', and found a recent-model Bachmann 44, and slightly older 40 couldn't haul them.

My Northern Belle Bachmann 57 can, JUST.

I have a Bachmann Freightliner 70, but if the others are having issues, that's got no chance, weighing 150g less!!

I currently have a Heljan 52 out, which hauled without problem, just a bit slower than normal.

The H66 was slower than I've seen but still had no problems at all - virtually nose-to-tail around the 4th radius circle.

Very impressive hauler, probably better than the 52, but that in itself was impressive.

Must get the Heljan 58 on it.

Bachmann 37's had no chance.

Interesting to be reminded just what an impressive locomotive this Hattons 66 is, AB-bleating aside.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

If I were to do anything with mine, I am not sure that I would look to change the axles. Rather I would get some brass tube, locktite that to the axle stub, paint it black and attach just the axlebox cover to the end, probably with epoxy.

Roy

About time I put my 3d printer to use.

I've already done the artwork for 2 alternatives...

Update to my last post, I admit 12 Freightliner bogie hoppers, with resin 'loads' is not light, but not particularly heavy, so just prior to 'ZZZ Time' I reviewed.

The pinpoint axles are nice and loose in the plastic sideframes, but had gouged lightly quite a few, producing 'plastic fluff' which had been causing some not insubstantial drag. Once cleaned off, they were obviously better, and my 37's have little problem hauling them now - still heavy 'though!

I think these wagons are a prime candidate for brass inserts.

Al.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Update to my last post, I admit 12 Freightliner bogie hoppers, with resin 'loads' is not light, but not particularly heavy, so just prior to 'ZZZ Time' I reviewed.

The pinpoint axles are nice and loose in the plastic sideframes, but had gouged lightly quite a few, producing 'plastic fluff' which had been causing some not insubstantial drag. Once cleaned off, they were obviously better, and my 37's have little problem hauling them now - still heavy 'though!

I think these wagons are a prime candidate for brass inserts.

Al.

Brass bearings make a huge difference and I think you are right there. In time, a plastic bearing is always going to wear, ultimately leading to slack and potential derailments. I wonder how much more it would cost for the manufacturers to fit them on big wagons?

Of course, it all depends on the “mileage” accumulated by the wagons. 

Roy

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

more it would cost for the manufacturers to fit them on big wagons?

Revolution TEAs have them I think.

8 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Very impressive hauler

I don't think there will be anything in OO that can compete with it off the shelf simply because of its weight. The Dapol 68 is second heaviest at the moment I think and therefore in all likelihood second best puller as a guess? The Accurascale I think are going to be similar weight to the H66.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I don't think there will be anything in OO that can compete with it off the shelf simply because of its weight. The Dapol 68 is second heaviest at the moment I think and therefore in all likelihood second best puller as a guess? The Accurascale I think are going to be similar weight to the H66.

Heljan DPU.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I tell you what, in the Freightliner hopper wagon debacle I have - I actually have inserts already on their way, by total coincidence - I was VERY impressed, again as it's no surprise now, with my Heljan 52.

More appropriate for the hoppers would be the 58, hence why I mentioned it - slight livery problem aside - but that should be the same.

For those who have used the inserts, I presume you carefully enlarge the aperture where the pinpoint of the axle goes JUST enough, then glue permanently into position?

I have some of the latest, HEAVY Hornby Gresley teaks, which are giving similar issues - pinpoint digging into the bogie, deforming slightly, creating swarf and a considerable amount of unnecessary drag.

Al.

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

For those who have used the inserts, I presume you carefully enlarge the aperture where the pinpoint of the axle goes JUST enough, then glue permanently into position?

That is my usual approach, yes.

Roy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Hahaha that seems a bit random, do they get used to haul long trains or did Heljan make them heavy for the sake of it?

No idea why Heljan made them that way, but their hauling capacity is phenomenal.

Roy

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

By the way, for adding axle bearings to RTR stock, these are very good: https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/bearing-reamers-set-of-two/

Roy

They were a godsend on the hachette Partwork coaches from a while back, reaming the bogies and fitting Hornby wheels transformed the running brilliantly! 

Well worth the money 

2 hours ago, big jim said:

They were a godsend on the hachette Partwork coaches from a while back, reaming the bogies and fitting Hornby wheels transformed the running brilliantly! 

Well worth the money 

can these be used to make the plastic bearing holes larger to allow brass bearings to be fitted?

19 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Interesting to be reminded just what an impressive locomotive this Hattons 66 is, AB-bleating aside. 

Is it?

Or is that just what we are coming to expect as "normal" these days?

But I think we're in a transition period where the older locos' teeth are growing ever longer compared with today's standards and with every new loco that comes out, that tooth grows not by an inch but a foot.

4 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

I think we're in a transition period where the older locos' teeth are growing ever longer compared with today's standards and with every new loco that comes out, that tooth grows not by an inch but a foot

I agree. The stuff that has come out recently is a significant step ahead of the other "decent" tooling IMO, at least as far as present day stuff is concerned. The exceptions to this I think are the Hornby 60 which I think is over 10 years old now but is excellent, and to an extent I think the Hornby 67 is very good. But I would not call the Hattons 66 head and shoulders above such as the Dapol 68 and Bachmann 90. Maybe not the Hornby 60 either.

The ones I own but think are a bit long in the tooth but acceptable until something better comes along are the Bachmann 37 and 66, Heljan 33 and the Hornby HST. I like the Bachmann 70 and would hold it in a similar regard of the D68, B90 and Ha66 if it wasn't for the lack of lighting functionality.

• Like 2

Don't disagree, OK, I agree, but ....

I wouldn't include the Bachmann Class 70, until they make the chassis out of depleted Uranium, just to give it adequate weight to permit a haulage capacity at least closer to the Hornby 60, if not the H66.

450g weight, when others in this 'Type 5' region weigh 600g+, with little room to insert any additional weight is pretty poor - detailing is superb, in keeping with such an ugly duckling.

One thing I will mention, having worked on both the D68 and the H66, I have to say the D68 is very, very easy to work on.

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I wouldn't include the Bachmann Class 70, until they make the chassis out of depleted Uranium, just to give it adequate weight to permit a haulage capacity at least closer to the Hornby 60, if not the H66.

That is an excellent point although not a problem I run into on my 8x6 roundy roundy!

But I agree especially since the chassis is about as simple as modern locos get you'd think casting it would be straightforward

Edited by TomScrut

I do agree, models that used to be class leading are now looking older and older as new releases come out, the Hornby range as a whole comes to mind, but that’s off topic. I think if you get a hattons shed without any major issues it’s brilliant and runs great, but, that should be expected. Especially at the price point and how it was described as class leading. I have had an okay experience with mine, but holding off buying more. Although the qc seems to be in the dirt for all major manufacturers atm.